• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9 - 15 Jan

cvxfreak

h-121_47725_060203hard.jpg.jpg

According to Famitsu, DS > PSP *LAST WEEK* by less than 1000 units. :lol :lol

mj1108

cvxfreak said:

Goddamnit...if we went by Famitsu data, Easter would have continued last week.

Why such a difference (30k in units)???

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:
Isn't Media Create the official tracker of GAF?

Well, Media Create is important because they post both hardware and software data first. Dengeki doesn't give solid numbers at all, and Famitsu is a week late. People tend to use MC numbers on the short term and Famitsu on the long term.

Link1110

This week is telling. The numbers for DS and PSP were almost even, and only PSPs (out of those 2) are readily available, so almost as many people are willing to search for a DS than are willing to go into any store and buy a PSP.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:

We all know what Peter Moore would say about Famitsu "numbers". :D

BTW here are the notes for this week.
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 998,637 units. Year-end and New Year sales competition slowed down, and sales figures have almost returned to their average level (the average for weekly sales as of the end of last year was 920,555 units). This represents 48.14% of last week's total, or a decrease of approximately 1,076,000 units, but this decline was inevitable, considering that the year-end and New Year sales season had come to an end.

Nine new releases took spots in the top 100. Although "Gunparade Orchestra: White Chapter" (approximately 36,000 units) and "Sega Rally 2006" (approximately 22,000 units) performed comparatively strongly, sales of all the other new titles were very low, with not one of them selling more than 20,000 units. With new releases accounting for a rather low 12.70% of sales, once again, this week existing titles formed the core of the market.
That means ecNchant arM for the 360 didn't break 20K.

I think its inevitable that the DS numbers would vary so much from source to source.

During any shortage the retail channels DS gets sold through becomes more specialized and, as a result, the tracking companies are unable to calculate by what percent they should adjust their data.

Dalthien

Fuzzy said:
That means ecNchant arM for the 360 didn't break 20K.
Man, that has to be a kick in the nuts for MS. With DOA4 possibly not even able to reach 100,000 lifetime units (certainly not much more), and now the first JRPG coming out of the gates below 20,000, and the X360 itself still tracking below the original Xbox in total units moved - it is looking more and more like the X360 will be nothing more than a repeat of the Xbox in Japan.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Hm... GBA

DS Lead YTD is negative, something tells me you expect that to change soon, otherwise you would have made it PSP Lead YTD ;)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cvxfreak said:

Wait, I'm confused. Famitsu is reporting that DS sold more last week? And why do that charts only have up to 15k?

littlewig

Banned
Why were MC numbers for last week way off?

Id' assume each compnay would track similar stores. Maybe MC doesn't track smaller stores, which most of the DS sales came from last week.

AniHawk

littlewig said:
Why were MC numbers for last week way off?

Id' assume each compnay would track similar stores. Maybe MC doesn't track smaller stores, which most of the DS sales came from last week.

MC counts more stores and extrapolate for less. They're more accurate that way. Famitsu is usually over because they overextrapolate.

donny2112

Ganondorf>Link said:
Why does that chart say 408,770 is the highest non-launch week when the DS sold 597,628 in one week?

I wanted to bring out that the DS exceeded the previous high-water mark on that week. Since the following week was even higher, it too would surpass the previous high-water mark. However if I just marked the highest week, the fact that both of those weeks were record-breakers might've been lost.

donny2112 said:
I wanted to bring out that the DS exceeded the previous high-water mark on that week. Since the following week was even higher, it too would surpass the previous high-water mark. However if I just marked the highest week, the fact that both of those weeks were record-breakers might've been lost.

Oh I get it, thats a good idea.

mj1108

donny2112 said:

Mark both weeks as "highest non-launch weeks" then.

Top Bottom