• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 10-16, 2009

GDGF said:
Congrats Vinnk!

Have the downloadable quests in DQ 9 started yet (still a bit unsure on how that works) and if not, what are the chances that the new content is going to be desirable enough to push the game to 5 million?
The downloadable quests are in full play.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/23/dqix_story_quest
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/06/dqix_quest_info/
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/13/dqix_quest_info/

And they do play a major factor in DQIX' great sales, but 5 million copies is still a reach for the stars.

CTLance

Vinnk said:
Oh, and my baby was born. It's a little girl.
[img]http://www.risingstuff.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mybaby.jpg[/img]
Wow, congrats. If it's not too personal a question: what will her name be?

Cygnus X-1

Wii Sports Resort is now without surprises an additional million seller. Lol to the people who said that it would have not been as successful as the original. Amazing +44% increase.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Psh. All the congratulations seem premature. I doubt Vinnk's kid will even sell 50k LTD.

Apparently 2Ch are saying there's been a price collapse already - babybomba!

Seriously, though - congratulations, Vinnk. I'm going to be in your position in around 6 months and I can't wait. All the best to the three of you!

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Now are the numbers for MH3 good because it has staying power or because it has price collapsed?

Not sure.

Still full price in my town.

Oh, and my baby was born. It's a little girl.

mybaby.jpg

Really nice. My wife wished she have a girl (all sons) to pamper and cuddle (and buy pretty clothes for).

Johann

apujanata said:
Really nice. My wife wished she have a girl (all sons) to pamper and cuddle (and buy pretty clothes for).

Well, that never stopped my mother :SHUDDERS:

Congrats Vinnk!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Psh. All the congratulations seem premature. I doubt Vinnk's kid will even sell 50k LTD.

It's alright, Vinnk will release a new version with better features to make up for the first one's poor performance.

t3nmilez

Congrats Vinnk! Having a kid really is such an amazing experience, especially when they get old enough and can play videogames with you, haha! Better start saving up money so she can go to an international school though, I'd never put one of my kids through the school system here...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Here are the Famitsu sales from the prior thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17207981&postcount=656

Famitsu Sales: 08/10 - 08/16

DSL 6300
DSi 86000
PSP 39000
Wii 46000
PS3 7800
PS2 6900
360 7400

01. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 126,000 / 699,000
02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 121,000 / 3,618,000
03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 108,000 / 971,000
04. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 72,000 / 793,000
05. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco) - 56,000 / 252,000
06. [PSP] Tales of VS. (Bandai Namco) - 34,000 / 187,000
07. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 29,000 / 106,000
08. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 28,000 / 922,000
09. [NDS] Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip (Nintendo) - 21,000 / 55,000
10. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 20,000 / 52,000

11. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Bandai Namco) - 18,000 / 71,000
12. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009: Club Championship (Konami) - 17,000 / 52,000
13. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (Konami) - 17,000 / 105,000
14. [NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji (Nintendo) - 12,000 / 92,000
15. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 10,000 / 3,499,000
16. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software) - 9,200 / 57,000
17. [360] Magna Carta 2 (Bandai Namco) - 9,100 / 47,000
18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 8,300 / 2,308,000
19. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 7,800 / 97,000
20. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco) - 7,500 / 41,000
21. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 6,800 / 1,787,000
22. [WII] Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Akatsuki no Ouji (Square Enix) - 6,700 / NEW
23. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4: Seitouchi Shounen Tanteidan, Boku to Himitsu no Chizu (SCE) - 6,600 / 123,000
24. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 6,300 / 2,474,000
26. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 5,900 / 3,487,000
27. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 5,500 / 116,000
28. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 5,500 / 604,000
29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 5,053,000
30. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 1,182,000

- Total figure for #13 should be 105k.

And Congrats Vinnk!

schuelma

It will be interesting to see the fall next week. Is Obon usually this big a deal? Seems like there was a bigger boost than for Golden Week.

-Taiko Wii makes an appearance in the Famitsu top 30 after a month or so off. If it follows the DS games it could pop back up during the holiday and break 700K.

- Monster Hunter Tri is holding up a lot better according to MC. Don't know if that means anything, but thought it was interesting.

botticus

schuelma said:
- Monster Hunter Tri is holding up a lot better according to MC. Don't know if that means anything, but thought it was interesting.
I was thinking they might just be reconciling with Famitsu (or vice versa).

I must not have noticed the discrepancy between Famitsu and MC last week on DQIX, pretty significant.

Cosmonaut X said:
Seriously, though - congratulations, Vinnk. I'm going to be in your position in around 6 months and I can't wait. All the best to the three of you!
Sales-Age is multiplying rapidly, we're due around the same time.
Congrats Vinnk!

markatisu

First off congrats Vinnk!

schuelma said:
Monster Hunter Tri is holding up a lot better according to MC. Don't know if that means anything, but thought it was interesting.

Next week will be probably the first week we can try and guess where things are headed, there is no holiday (though Obon is usually not as big as it was this time) and the game will have had 4 weeks on the market.

Is BIC still running their price drop? Or did they move enough product to return it to regular price.

I look for it to do 40-45k (a 35-40% drop) if its going to follow MHG any further in pattern

apujanata

t3nmilez said:
Congrats Vinnk! Having a kid really is such an amazing experience, especially when they get old enough and can play videogames with you, haha! Better start saving up money so she can go to an international school though, I'd never put one of my kids through the school system here...

Well, Vinnk's wife survived Japan school, so her daughter should be able to do so too.

At least, Vinnk's is not living in Tokyo, where there are so many chikan (70%)around in the metro.

schuelma

KirmiziBeyaz said:
I was doubting it but it looks like MH3 will reach 1 million quite comfortably.

I wouldn't go that far- it still has a ways to go. I now think it will get there eventually, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Good job Sakamoto and team. Showing Miyamoto with 2 original DS million sellers. Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi Collection.

Vinnk

CTLance said:
Wow, congrats. If it's not too personal a question: what will her name be?

It's Sara. It's a good name because it can be written in Kanji and my parents can actually pronounce it.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Don't worry. My baby has long legs and I believe, like Tomodachi collection, they will get longer over time.

t3nmilez said:
I'd never put one of my kids through the school system here...

Don't I know it. They let gaffers teach here!

deleted

I´m really unsure about MHTri. Some are saying it sells great (best selling 3rd Party game this gen etc. etc.) and some are saying its underwhelming because it should say better / it shipped al lot more units / capcom predicted a lot more (not sure on this?).

So whats the case with this game: Great showcase for a 3rd Party Mega-seller, is it selling ok or is it selling a bit under expectations ?

schuelma

xyla said:
I´m really unsure about MHTri. Some are saying it sells great (best selling 3rd Party game this gen etc. etc.) and some are saying its underwhelming because it should say better / it shipped al lot more units / capcom predicted a lot more (not sure on this?).

So whats the case with this game: Great showcase for a 3rd Party Mega-seller, is it selling ok or is it selling a bit under expectations ?

Probably somewhere in the middle- I'm sure best case Capcom expected to sell the initial shipment rather easily and probably at least ship a total of 1.2-1.3 million..so in that sense it might be a little disappointing.

On the other hand, it's almost to 800K handily outselling its previous console predecessors and is the most successful third party game on a Nintendo console in two generations..so overall I'd say its solid, if a bit underwhelming given the obviously extremely high expectations they had.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
xyla said:

Both.

Compared to all third party games this gen... well... it's #1 with a bullet and will keep going. Compared to previous Monster Hunter console installments, it's doing great. It shows real growth for the franchise on consoles, which is excellent. Compared to its budget, it's probably made a gazillion dollars and the monthly fees will keep the scrilla rolling in. I also think it's fair to say that the game was not handicapped by being moved from PS3 to Wii. Sales are continuing to be good and it is coming down gently.

On the other hand, it hasn't sold through its first shipment yet and it looks like it's going to have to coast to get through it. It's had price drops, even if they are sporadic and only on some SKUs. It's obvious at this point that console Monster Hunter is not the franchise than handheld Monster Hunter is.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stumpokapow said:
It's obvious at this point that console Monster Hunter is not the franchise than handheld Monster Hunter became.
Fixed
Honestly I have never really been interested in MH, but just looking at the figures it is obvious that the portable version was not a blockbuster out of the gate, it had to build its audience slowly. Its possible that a similar audience could be built on the consoles.

deleted

Ok, so its a could´ve sold better could´ve sold worse type of game that is nonetheless a success.
It will be interesting to see if Capcom will launch another Monster Hunter on the Wii exclusively or if they will take the same route as Devil-Kings 3 and release it also to the PS3.

Thanks for the answers.

schuelma

xyla said:
Ok, so its a could´ve sold better could´ve sold worse type of game that is nonetheless a success.
It will be interesting to see if Capcom will launch another Monster Hunter on the Wii exclusively or if they will take the same route as Devil-Kings 3 and release it also to the PS3.

I guess its possible, but I would be a bit surprised if they went that route. They have the series established on the Wii and the whole reason for the switch in the first place was development costs.

schuelma said:
I guess its possible, but I would be a bit surprised if they went that route. They have the series established on the Wii and the whole reason for the switch in the first place was development costs.

And easier PSP porting. Can't forget that.

markatisu

schuelma said:

Yeah if they wanted on the PS3 they would have left it there and ate the development costs up front for the intial release.

I suppose they could do a duel release while leaving the Wii as the lead sku and then porting up to the PS3 and down to the PSP.

But something tells me since Nintendo is footing a large part of the advertising bill that will not ever happen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cute baby Vinnk!

Somnid said:
It's Tingle and it's niche. Look at the other Nintendo games on the list.
I am, and how does that change what I said? Tomodachi would've bombed too if they didn't start marketing it with celebrity Miis and Wii ___ titles are always announced well beforehand and marketed well.

Grampasso

04./02. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 93,000 / 750,000 (-32%)
Definitely showing some legs, and quite happy for it.
May I remind you I calculated 835k after 4 weeks? :p
EDIT: Whoa, congratulations father Vinnk :D

Top Bottom