• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 10-16, 2009

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Vinnk said:
It's Sara. It's a good name because it can be written in Kanji and my parents can actually pronounce it.

Don't worry. My baby has long legs and I believe, like Tomodachi collection, they will get longer over time.

Don't I know it. They let gaffers teach here!
The name thing is something my fiancée and I have been going on and oN about for a while.

What other names did you come up with? Any boy names?

deleted

Pureauthor said:
And easier PSP porting. Can't forget that.

Sure, but thats also possible if they release it on the Wii and port it up to the PS3. With the price-drop and the new model it would be worth the experiment, just to see if they are leaving lots of sales out by releasing it exclusively on the Wii. Could also be easier to establish the franchise in the west, if you release it on multiple platforms.
If we see Devil Kings 3 selling equal on both platforms (are both versions released the same day?), I think Capcom will give it a shot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Somnid said:
Like most of Nintendo's stuff that's not Mario/Zelda it was announced no more than a month in advance and it's not something the day 1 gamers would flock to. It was well-made and so it wasn't a stretch to think it'd sell via word-of-mouth like several similar titles have already done. NeoGAF: Believe.

Yes I'm sure you predicted such crazy success.

Chris1964 said:
Dragon Quest VII on the other hand had two BEST versions:
[PS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshi-tachi (PSOne Books) (Square Enix) (02/03/05)
[PS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshi-tachi (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) (20/07/06)
but none of them has managed to chart.
That's really weird. Looking back at the Top 500s and such we have access to, I indeed don't see it. Yet rereleases of Dragon Quest IV and Final Fantasy VII make the list as late as 2007.
schuelma said:
-Taiko Wii makes an appearance in the Famitsu top 30 after a month or so off.
Judging by the LTD difference it doesn't look like its sales have stayed pretty steady, but the barrier for making the Top 30 has gone up a bit. Actually, I guess it's riding the Wii high--5500 would be its best week since May.

gerg

I haven't had much time to read these threads on hols, so I haven't been able to parse through all the sarcasm. As a result, can someone tell me what the siutation with MH3 is? Are the legs good? Will it hit a million or 1.5 mil? Was there really a price collapse? Thanks.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gerg said:
I haven't had much time to read these threads on hols, so I haven't been able to parse through all the sarcasm. As a result, can someone tell me what the siutation with MH3 is? Are the legs good? Will it hit a million or 1.5 mil? Was there really a price collapse? Thanks.

- The only big price collapse has been at Bic and even that seems to be sporadic and not with all SKU's

- It's legs so far are a lot less than the portable versions but at this early stage seem a bit better than a typical front loaded series.

-I think it will hit a million but it might not be for a while. It won't do much more than that.

gerg said:
The legs are so far very much like previous Monster Hunter console games, though that itself makes it more frontloaded since it had fewer days of availability the first week. It looks to be headed to around 1 million, but whether it slightly misses it (before a BEST release) is up to what legs remain a few months from now. There's not been an overall price collapse, but it seems they have dropped--some of the various packs more than others.

Vinnk said:
Oh, and my baby was born. It's a little girl.

mybaby.jpg
Baby girl >>> baby boy
FACT.

Now you take GOOD care of her, you hear?!? :mad:

apotema

What are this week releases? Is there any game that can stop Tomodatchi Collection from being #1 next week?

Pretty interesting retailer take on the PS3 Slim at anoop's blog:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/21/new_ps3_shipments/
Sony is planning an ambitious worldwide launch for the new slimline PlayStation 3. That's three territories, all at pretty much the same time, for new low priced hardware backed with some major releases. Add to that pent up demand due to recent retail shortages (PS3 sales fell here last week most likely due to lack of availability) and it's probably reasonable to expect shortages.

Depending on how many units Sony manages to ship, of course. So how many will they be shipping? For an educated estimate, we turn to Kazuyuki Inakoshi, manager at a well known game shop called Messe Sanoh in Tokyo's Akihabara district.

In the latest installment of his weekly column at Famitsu.com, Inakoshi recounted a recent briefing from Sony where he was given a chance to see the new system up close. Following the briefing, he was given an indication of shipments for his shop. While he wouldn't make his own figure public, he reverse calculated from the figure and came to an estimate of a total initial shipment of 200,000 units.

This seems like it should be more than enough to satisfy initial demand for the PS3 here in Japan. As a comparison, the current model PS3 sold just 6,000 units last week, although as mentioned above that may have been due to unavailability in many shops. Even on a normal week, however, the system was struggling to stay at the 10,000 mark. For a major release like Resident Evil 5, the system saw a boost to under the 40,000 mark.

As you can see in the PS3 release calendar (which I believe is still up to date), Sony is backing the PS3 slim launch with a bunch of budget re-releases (all of which were announced before the redesign announcement -- that should've been somewhat of a hint that something was going down on the 3rd!) and two new games: the Chun Soft sound novel 428 and the new Gundam game Gundam Senki. Gundam seems to be the big title in the launch, as Sony is giving it a PS3 slim hardware bundle.

A launch next to Gundam doesn't appear to sit well with Inakoshi. He presumes that Sony is aiming to sell the new system not to current PS3 owners but to newcomers. If that's the case, he feels that it doesn't make sense to launch opposite Gundam, which has a large number of core users who probably already have a PS3. Instead, he believes Sony should have launched opposite Tales of Vesperia, which targets light users and is popular with female audiences. That title is set for release on September 17, and Inakoshi hopes supplies of the system don't run out before then.

Elsewhere in the blog post, Inakoshi gives some slightly humorous opinions about the system after having gotten a close look at it. His first impression was that it was either a large router or a really old notebook PC.

He also said that if it weren't for the price and the larger hard drive, he'd probably opt for the current model.

Opiate

Is DQVII the best selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan?

That is, is DQIX on pace to become the best selling third party game of all time?

test_account

XP-39C²
Have retailers in Japan dropped th price on the PS3 Phat by now?

Vinnk said:
Oh, and my baby was born. It's a little girl.

mybaby.jpg
Alot of congratulations, Vinnk! :)

Vinnk said:
It's Sara. It's a good name because it can be written in Kanji and my parents can actually pronounce it.
Sara is a nice name i must say! :)

EDIT: I forgot to ask, if you dont mind me asking, how do you write Sara in kanji? I am currently studying the japanese language (unfortunately i have been a bit lazy with the studies lately though, but i havnt quit the studies at least :)), so japanese writing interests me :)

t3nmilez said:
Congrats Vinnk! Having a kid really is such an amazing experience, especially when they get old enough and can play videogames with you, haha! Better start saving up money so she can go to an international school though, I'd never put one of my kids through the school system here...
How is the japanese school system?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pretty interesting retailer take on the PS3 Slim at anoop's blog:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/21/new_ps3_shipments/
Interesting read indeed. Thanks for posting this! :) I am pretty curious on how the PS3 Slim and especially the new price/price drop on the PS3 will affect the PS3 sales.

EDIT 2: I added some text.

apujanata

sprsk said:
The name thing is something my fiancée and I have been going on and oN about for a while.

What other names did you come up with? Any boy names?

My sons names (my wife and I came into agreement easily) :
Andrew Michael
Alexander Matthew
Albert Marco

how do you write Sara in kanji?
I also wanted to know this.

If you can translate my sons names into kanji, it should be wonderful (my eldest son are currently busy playing SD Gundam Generation Wars G Wars, so having a Japanese name for him should be cool :D.

Johann

Opiate said:
Is DQVII the best selling non-Nintendo game ever in Japan?

That is, is DQIX on pace to become the best selling third party game of all time?

I remember Captain Smoker's sales chart having FFVII + re-release sales just shy of 4,000,000, making it the best selling non-single SKU game. DQIX is very likely to past those sales at any rate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Streams crossing shouldn't be surprising in the least in the run-up to the PS3 Slim.
The PS3 going down isn't surprising. I'm more curious about what's caused the 360 to more than triple sales in three weeks.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
The PS3 going down isn't surprising. I'm more curious about what's caused the 360 to more than triple sales in three weeks.

Obon is on the 15th August. That might be while there was an increase in sales.

ShadowPampers said:
wow @ topic derail much?

Shut up and congratulate Vinnk right now asshat. He's been a long time member of our Sales-Age crew here, and it's a joy to see him succeeding in life. We've seen him through his marriage, and now his first born daughter. He means a lot more to this community then you ever will.

matt360

Congrats on the baby! Seems like kids are popping out all over the place these days. A couple of my friends' wives are about 3 and 5 months along.

I had no idea about Tomodachi Collection selling like that! I saw a couple young girls in Tsutaya last week buying it, but I really thought it was just one of those niche girl games.

And a big "hells yeah!" for DQ9. I'm still addicted over a month later.

schuelma

Flying_Phoenix said:
"Rabble rabble rabble, big third party games appearing on the Wii won't help sales and isn't a worthy investment, rabble rabble rabble."

I think it is difficult to say the current spike is primarily because of Monster Hunter Tri given the new color and WSR's rise in numbers.

schuelma said:
I think it is difficult to say the current spike is primarily because of Monster Hunter Tri given the new color and WSR's rise in numbers.

So basically given the combination of factors, everything is going according to plan for Nintendo.

schuelma

-WindYoshi- said:
So basically given the combination of factors, everything is going according to plan for Nintendo.

Decent sales but still way down from the last 2 years. Good numbers compared to earlier in the year, but this number would have been a normal week for most of last year.

swerve

matt360 said:
I had no idea about Tomodachi Collection selling like that! I saw a couple young girls in Tsutaya last week buying it, but I really thought it was just one of those niche girl games.

It is. But that's been a pretty big niche since Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, and Wagamama Fashion...

markatisu

schuelma said:

At the same time give credit where its due, the black system was basically pushed for the MH3 launch otherwise they would have come out with a Blue one to match WSR (like the promotion)

And WSR did not push hardware that much in its launch, remember everyone questioning Donny saying WSR would raise the baseline.

So he was questioned when WSR launched but now WSR is to be credited for its continued rise?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How big and sustainable has been the hardware bump for Wii due to MH3?
Curious if Nintendo would view this as an influx of potential core gamers or a note of success for core games on the system from a major franchise that can as positively spur demand for the console as any of their "Wii ___" broad titles are. Or an alternate strategy than just releasing new colors. Could be another approach strategy to release totally core centric titles to increase sales penetration, something they've shied from on the wii really. Or then again, maybe its just the brand name of MH only.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14: CR Shinseiki Evangelion - Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
32. [ΝDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
33. [NDS] Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer (Sega)
34. [NDS] Gokuhou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
35. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Future Hyper Explosion!! (Takara Tomy)
36. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
37. [ΝDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
38. [ΝDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
39. [ΝDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
40. [ΝDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon)
41. [ΝDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
42. [NDS] Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (Konami)
43. [ΝDS] Paul Sloan & Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)
44. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai)
45. [360] Gears of War 2 (Microsoft Game Studios)
46. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
47. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
48. [NDS] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 4: CR Shinseiki Evangelion - Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
49. [ΝDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
50. [ΝDS] Style Savvy (Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode) (Nintendo)
__. [ALL] Total software sales - 1.183.723 / 36.936.846

Media Create notes that the reason Tomodatchi Collection rises in sales the last five weeks is good word of mouth and strong advertising from Nintendo.

mbnmac

Neo Member
Chris1964 said:
strong advertising from Nintendo.
And man, this is the one thing they need to do with all their money right now.
They're sitting on a treasure trove of money, there is no reason good games are selling like shit due to lack of advertising.
I know I'll be buying the games, I keep up with new releases, but the lack of advertising in general for even 1st party nintendo games shocks me

mbnmac said:
And man, this is the one thing they need to do with all their money right now.
They're sitting on a treasure trove of money, there is no reason good games are selling like shit due to lack of advertising.
I know I'll be buying the games, I keep up with new releases, but the lack of advertising in general for even 1st party nintendo games shocks me
I don't know. Here in Europe, they've had some sexy ads for the DS. We have had
Nicole Kidman (hot) few years ago, Brain training
Girls Aloud (droool) for a long time, they are on and off)
Beyonce (looking real cute), Rhythm Paradise, there's even a behind the scenes version on the official website.

And plenty others without celebrities. It does feel as if they have slowed down a bit. But I haven't watched even 30mins of TV in a week. I think they should carry on advertising their core titles.
Animal Crossing Wii
Metroid PRime trilogy
Mario Karts
Galaxy
And maybe a few of the hardcore ones too, like No More heroes, and those Sega ones. But I think they should change their style a bit. Having that traditional Wii advert for those sorts of games is pointless, becuase they are not family orientated, and teenage boys are not going to be aroused with that type of commercial either.

Top Bottom