• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

Oxx

I'm guessing this is a problem at my end/in my country, but none of the images from Garaph load for me.

Can't seem to get on the website either.

donny2112

Opiate said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the PS3 will outsell the Wii in Japan over the course of the remaining 4 months of the year.

Your limb isn't actually attached to a tree, btw.

Dalthien

cvxfreak said:
PS3 Slim will be huge.

Just sayin'.
Huge in absolute terms? (100k+ opening week, and maintaining 40k-50k per week throughout the remainder of the year, and then back to 100k+ for the holiday weeks at end-of-year)

or just huge relative to the fat PS3? (big opening week, but back to sub-30k inside of 4 or 5 weeks)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dalthien said:
Huge in absolute terms? (100k+ opening week, and maintaining 40k-50k per week throughout the remainder of the year, and then back to 100k+ for the holiday weeks at end-of-year)

or just huge relative to the fat PS3? (big opening week, but back to sub-30k inside of 4 or 5 weeks)

I just can't see the former. I could possibly see a higher opening number than I'm currently predicting (55k), but 40K sales until the end of the year? Selling more than all other systems besides the DS? Without any huge games until FF13? No way.

Road said:
Tales of Vesperia, Tekken 6, some Dynasty Warrior, GT5 (??), Bayonetta, NGSigma 2...

Err... Didn't realize the double posting. Sorry.

Smaller but notable releases also include 3D dot game heroes & Zill : Souls of trinity.

schuelma said:
I think they've said "Winter 2009" but I agree that it is probably likely to get pushed back. And honestly, that wouldn't be a horrible thing for the Wii market- there are actually 3-4 relatively high profile 3rd party games coming in Nov-Dec (not to mention NSMB Wii) and I think Graces would be a a welcome change from last year's Q1 lineup which was atrocious.

I only see 2 relatively high profile 3rd party game for the Wii (SW3, SRW) in Nov-Dec, I guess 3 with RE on rails...

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
I only see 2 relatively high profile 3rd party game for the Wii (SW3, SRW) in Nov-Dec, I guess 3 with RE on rails...

SRW Neo is end of October, SW 3 11/19, FF:CC:CB 11/26, and RE: DC will probably be November as well given the Western release dates. (not to mention I'm still expecting Taiko Wii 2, though that hasn't been announced).

I agree that lineup pales in comparison to say, the likely portable lineups for that same period, but for the Wii that's pretty decent.

d+pad

schuelma said:
I just can't see the former. I could possibly see a higher opening number than I'm currently predicting (55k), but 40K sales until the end of the year? Selling more than all other systems besides the DS? Without any huge games until FF13? No way.

This is what I don't get about some of the predictions being made here. Even the DS was having a hard time maintaining 40-50k in weekly sales before DQIX was released - why on earth do people expoect the PS3 Slim to put up similar numbers - without any notable games?

Hell, even if it *did* launch with some notable games, it's still $299 after the pricedrop.

I'm expecting 50-60k first-week sales, but I also expect it will return to sub-20k sales per week within the month...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think Tales of Graces has a pretty good chance to come out this year. Maybe Namco waits Tales of Vesperia to come out first. After TGS we will know for sure.

Dalthien

schuelma said:
Well, that's why I'm wondering what cvxfreak meant by 'huge'. He is there in the heart of Japan, and has a pretty good grasp of the mood of the country. And he has a good grasp of video-game sales history and trends. I associate a word of the magnitude of 'huge' to mean the dominant systems. The DS for many years now has been huge. The PS2 was huge in its day. The PSP was huge for the year following MHP2. The Wii was huge for the first 1.5 years on the market.

If all the PS3 Slim does is launch with a big number, then drift back down to sub-30k a month or two later - that's not huge. That's nothing more than a fairly typical response to a new hardware revision or the launch of a big title.

I mean, the Wii just responded to a big title by going 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k. Granted, that was a strong bump from a big title, but there was no new hardware revision (only a new colour), no new $100 price drop. If all the PS3 Slim does is something along the lines of 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k - then that isn't even close to being 'huge'. That would actually be somewhat disappointing actually, considering the Wii just achieved that same bump without a new hardware revision or a $100 price cut.

Now if the PS3 opens big, then sustains big sales throughout the year, then I would call that 'huge'. I'm curious which scenario cvxfreak is expecting from his perspective from within Japan.

schuelma

Dalthien said:
Well, that's why I'm wondering what cvxfreak meant by 'huge'. He is there in the heart of Japan, and has a pretty good grasp of the mood of the country. And he has a good grasp of video-game sales history and trends. I associate a word of the magnitude of 'huge' to mean the dominant systems. The DS for many years now has been huge. The PS2 was huge in its day. The PSP was huge for the year following MHP2. The Wii was huge for the first 1.5 years on the market.

If all the PS3 Slim does is launch with a big number, then drift back down to sub-30k a month or two later - that's not huge. That's nothing more than a fairly typical response to a new hardware revision or the launch of a big title.

I mean, the Wii just responded to a big title by going 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k. Granted, that was a strong bump from a big title, but there was no new hardware revision (only a new colour), no new $100 price drop. If all the PS3 Slim does is something along the lines of 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k - then that isn't even close to being 'huge'. That would actually be somewhat disappointing actually, considering the Wii just achieved that same bump without a new hardware revision or a $100 price cut.

Now if the PS3 opens big, then sustains big sales throughout the year, then I would call that 'huge'. I'm curious which scenario cvxfreak is expecting from his perspective from within Japan.

Yeah..I just can't see that. That would be asking the PS3 to do something that the Wii hasn't even been able to do since last year, and to do it without a real compelling piece of software. Like I said, I'm starting to think the launch will be huge because of the drastic drop offs we've seen the last 2 weeks, but I don't think that is sustainable without software, which we won't see until December most likely.

Stumpokapow said:
For the master system at least, there were a number of <x>-in-1 junker carts, and if bootleg companies could do that, they could likely release pirate/counterfeit carts.
Yeah. That wouldn't be surprising. I was just thinking about all the systems I could think of starting with the NES/Famicom - and those were the only two where I didn't have any direct awareness of piracy in the systems lifetime.

d+pad

Dalthien said:

Considering PS3 has been selling around 10k-per-week (less than half of the Wii's weekly average) for quite some time now, I think a bump of 100k > 50k > 50k > 30k following the Slim's release could be considered 'huge,' personally.

Hell, if it could sustain weekly sales of 20k for the rest of the year, that would be 'huge,' too. The Wii was barely able to do that before MHTri, and may have a hard time doing between now and late October (when more key games are released), so asking PS3 Slim to sell something like 40k a week with a ho-hum lineup of games (until the holidays) is a bit much, IMO.

Dalthien

d+pad said:
Considering PS3 has been selling around 10k-per-week (less than half of the Wii's weekly average) for quite some time now, I think a bump of 100k > 50k > 50k > 30k following the Slim's release could be considered 'huge,' personally.

Hell, if it could sustain weekly sales of 20k for the rest of the year, that would be 'huge,' too. The Wii was barely able to do that before MHTri, and may have a hard time doing between now and late October (when more key games are released), so asking PS3 Slim to sell something like 40k a week with a ho-hum lineup of games (until the holidays) is a bit much, IMO.
Ah see - you have answered my question. I was asking if the PS3 Slim would be 'huge' in overall terms, or 'huge' relative to the fat PS3. You believe that the term 'huge' will only apply with the caveat "in relation to the fat PS3". cvxfreak did not include that caveat when he stated that the PS3 Slim would be 'huge'. So I was questioning if he believes that the PS3 Slim will be 'huge' in overall terms (which to me means sustained sales of 40-50k well after the launch), or if he was only referring to 'huge' in comparison to the already dismal sales of the fat PS3.

To your point, the Wii was down to less than 15k per week before Wii Sports Resort, which wasn't all that different from the PS3 at 10k per week. The 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k weeks following MH3 were certainly a nice boost, but I sure wouldn't say that MH3 and black Wii were 'huge' for Wii hardware sales (if anything huge comes out of MH3, it will be IF the strong software sales for MH3 encourage other publishers to bring their high-profile titles to the Wii). They helped give a nice short-term spike, and the Wii is now back below 30k again. If the PS3 follows the same spike pattern, then again - I certainly wouldn't use the word 'huge'. Unless of course, the reference point is only the fat PS3, and not the market as a whole.

To me, the word 'huge' is a very powerful and potent term. It refers to very big, momentous events. A typical short-term hardware spike accompanying a new hardware revision and a deep price cut is nothing out of the ordinary. And if all it does long-term is leave the PS3 in a still long-term trend of mediocre weekly numbers, then that doesn't qualify as 'huge'. If it leaves the PS3 in a position to really start to compete with the other systems in Japan for market awareness and presence, that would be 'huge'.

Dalthien said:
If all the PS3 Slim does is something along the lines of 100k, 50k, 50k, 30k - then that isn't even close to being 'huge'.

No, no, see: it's like when your five year old turns on the faucet for you when you're washing dishes and you say "Thanks, buddy, you were a huge help!"

charlequin said:
No, no, see: it's like when your five year old turns on the faucet for you when you're washing dishes and you say "Thanks, buddy, you were a huge help!"

Saved for posterity (ie next week) when the Slim sells out of its first shipment of 250k in the first two days.

:p

cvxfreak

Oh dear, what have I done.

By huge, I meant reasonably big. Certainly bigger than what we've seen out of the PS3 before. Definitely not DS huge, but I would be disappointed if the PS3 didn't see a PSP-style revival relative to its average sales since launch. I think it should outsell the Wii for at least 1.5 months, maybe even 2 before the big third party hits begin arriving.

jrricky

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 7.1 / 92.9 make this the most Wii-tilted week ever. This brings total shares to 28.0 / 72.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 2,503.1 weeks (August 13, 2057).
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(Today, 09:14 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dragona Akehi said:
Saved for posterity (ie next week) when the Slim sells out of its first shipment of 250k in the first two days.

:p
Not that you would be the end all be all for info but do you or anyone have any idea how good the adverts have been for this thing? Or actual reserves or general interest the Slim is garnering? I know of the 200k initial shipment but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Is End of Eternity still slated for this year? I think this will be an interesting one to see the effect on console sales, being the first good example of a multiplatform RPG. Will the hardware bump also be split (by the PS360s usual ratio), or will the only people who buy the 360 version already have that console so it will see no bump?

How much of a price drop is the PS3 getting in Japan? I never really though that its price was one of the issues holding back sales in that region.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Saint Gregory said:
How much of a price drop is the PS3 getting in Japan? I never really though that its price was one of the issues holding back sales in that region.
10000 yen ($100), from 39,980 to 29,980, like everywhere else.

Majmun

Games is Sony's issue in Japan, not Ps3's price.

I guess Microsoft absorbing all the JRPG's really did hurt the Ps3...

ethelred

Second said:

Yeah, because it's on the 360 where RPGs are selling this gen. For sure.

Oh wait.

Code:
Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky		3,723,000	Square Enix
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl					5,681,000	Nintendo
Pokemon Platinum					2,435,000	Nintendo
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time	1,506,952	Nintendo
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker				1,467,179	Square Enix
Dragon Quest IV						1,214,610	Square Enix
Dragon Quest V						1,189,064	Square Enix
Final Fantasy III					1,008,230	Square Enix
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue				767,578		Nintendo
Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage				652,363		Nintendo
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story			652,000		Nintendo
Pokemon Ranger						650,334		Nintendo
Final Fantasy IV					622,475		Square Enix
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings			524,009		Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts: 179 Days				477,000		Square Enix
Chrono Trigger						433,988		Square Enix
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time				417,391		Nintendo
Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates			389,845		Square Enix
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky		362,000		Nintendo
Inazuma Eleven						360,064		Level-5
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime			293,970		Square Enix
Final Fantasy Tactics A2				287,871		Square Enix
Children of Mana					281,083		Square Enix
Super Robot Wars W					278,027		Banpresto
Tales of Hearts						259,000		Namco
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon				252,309		Nintendo
We're Fossil Diggers					252,085		Nintendo
Tales of Innocence					246,420		Namco
Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland			234,862		Nintendo
Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time			232,801		Square Enix
Super Robot Wars K					207,079		Bandai
Tales of the Tempest					205,541		Namco
Phantasy Star Zero					202,307		Sega
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer			195,052		Sega
The World Ends With You					192,955		Square Enix
Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu			184,056		Bandai
Suikoden Tierkreis					155,777		Konami
Archaic Sealed Heat					151,240		Nintendo
Etrian Odyssey 2					145,421		Atlus
Rune Factory						145,346		MMV
Valkyrie Profile Tactics				136,948		Square Enix
7th Dragon						136,104		Sega
Etrian Odyssey						122,461		Atlus
Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier		120,556		Bandai
Rune Factory 2						116,287		MMV
Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor				106,779		Atlus
Soma Bringer						100,117		Nintendo

Code:
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope	208,438		Square Enix
Blue Dragon 			203,740		Microsoft 
Tales of Vesperia		191,583		Bandai Namco
The Last Remnant		151,181		Square Enix
Infinite Undiscovery		113,195		Square Enix 
Lost Odyssey 			109,517		Microsoft

onken

test_account said:
Sure, if the stores can arrange some sort of recall/compensation from Sony as you say, then this would probably be the best solution for the stores, but how likely is it that this will happend? This is a serious question since unfortunately i dont know if gaming stores gets to do recall and/or get some compensation in Japan. I am under the impression that the stores would have to take the loss themself if they decide to drop the price, but maybe this is mostly when it comes to the games, and maybe things are a bit different when it comes to the hardware?

Yeah it's an interesting problem, though I assume the console manufacturers would probably come to some sort of arrangement. Retailers are the last people you want to get on the wrong side of.

How good are the stores in adverticing the PS3 Slim and the price drop by the way? I saw a picture earlier in the thread where a store adverticed the PS3 Slim and the price drop, but that was just from one store. How is the situation in stores in general?

Pretty heavily, as far as I'm aware.

ethelred said:
Yeah, because it's on the 360 where RPGs are selling this gen. For sure.

Oh wait.
Doesn't matter that the DS is selling more RPGs, the point is that Microsoft managed to suck in a bunch of console RPGs and by making them available either first or exclusively on their console, they reduced the perceived value of the Playstation 3. The Playstation is no longer the place to go for home console RPGs.

What the DS did was much worse for Sony though.

ethelred

bmf said:
Doesn't matter that the DS is selling more RPGs, the point is that Microsoft managed to suck in a bunch of console RPGs and by making them available either first or exclusively on their console, they reduced the perceived value of the Playstation 3. The Playstation is no longer the place to go for home console RPGs.

Completely irrelevant. The 360 didn't blunt the PS3 or impact its perceptions or its value. The 360 only has a handful of notable Japanese RPGs that have seen any sort of sales success; several of those have already gone multiplatform, and in those instances they've seen better sales on the PS3. Several more are slated to go multiplatform, and they, too, will surely see better sales on the PS3.

I applaud Microsoft for its efforts because it's put out some great games. But they really didn't accomplish much of anything when it came to hurting the PS3 in Japan or diminishing its role as an RPG machine, because the 360 is nearly as much an irrelevancy as the PS3 is.

Loudninja

Second said:

Really? the PS3 was over $400 in Japan,I still think it was and issue.With the new price and new form I can see it doing well.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Oh dear, what have I done.

By huge, I meant reasonably big. Certainly bigger than what we've seen out of the PS3 before. Definitely not DS huge, but I would be disappointed if the PS3 didn't see a PSP-style revival relative to its average sales since launch. I think it should outsell the Wii for at least 1.5 months, maybe even 2 before the big third party hits begin arriving.

Respectfully, I think you're getting a bit carried away. PSP's resurgence was absolutely incredible and fueled by a 3 million seller. I don't see any reason to believe a new model and price drop alone is going to have a similar impact.

Loudninja

schuelma said:
Respectfully, I think you're getting a bit carried away. PSP's resurgence was absolutely incredible and fueled by a 3 million seller. I don't see any reason to believe a new model and price drop alone is going to have a similar impact.

True but FF13 should help it quite alot.

schuelma

Loudninja said:

It could help temporarily, absolutely...but we're talking about the actual launch which is going to be probably 3.5 months before FF13 reasonably launches.

shinshero

schuelma said:

How about a heavy marketing campaign to go along with that. :D

Although I agree, I don't expect it to sell as well as the PSP.

Loudninja said:

So isn't the historical pattern for a console considered to have a weak library in Japan for people to buy it for a big game then immediately sell the console?

Do we expect that to happen with the PS3?

d+pad said:
Definitely getting 200K in three weeks would be huge; we have to look back to 2006 to see that happening before. Outside of holidays, its biggest bumps have given it three week totals of just over 100K.

Anasui Kishibe said:
PS3 sales
2afg7t3.jpg

but hey, they will pick up
you got a link to the story this came from?

[Nintex]

As far as I know these games are coming out soon on PS3 in Japan:
Tales of Vesperia, 428, Dragonball Z Raging Blast, Ninja Gaiden 2: Sigma, Tekken 6, Bayonetta

I don't see anything that would push system sales after the initial pricedrop shock outside of Tales or perhaps Tekken.

ksamedi

EDarkness said:
Is that a real person getting killed?

He lived. Its quite a miracle. If he was a little more to the right or left, he would come under the tyres. This was quite a big story in Turkey. Turns out the guy doesn't remember anything at all of the incident. He shocked out, so to speak.

bmf said:
The Playstation is no longer the place to go for home console RPGs.

Nobody cares about "the place to go for home console RPGs," is the point.

schuelma said:

Yeah.... The PSP resurged off of becoming the fashion accessory for every teenage boy. I certainly wouldn't expect the PS3 to do anywhere close to that well without a comparable software hit to MHP2.

test_account

XP-39C²
d+pad said:
This is what I don't get about some of the predictions being made here. Even the DS was having a hard time maintaining 40-50k in weekly sales before DQIX was released - why on earth do people expoect the PS3 Slim to put up similar numbers - without any notable games?
A new designed model/console + a ~$100 pricedrop might do more for hardware sales than one big titled game (in this case, DQIX) though. I am not saying that the PS3 Slim will sell really great for the upcoming months though, and i do agree to what you say, but i just wanted to say that new designed model/console + a ~$100 pricedrop might have a bigger impact on hardware sales compared to how one big titled game release might impact the the hardware sales.

d+pad said:
Hell, even if it *did* launch with some notable games, it's still $299 after the pricedrop.
$299 isnt that high of a price i think. It is only about $50 more than for example a Wii.

Second said:
I agree that games is an issue for Sony, but i also belive that the price on the PS3 is/was also an issue.

onken said:
Yeah it's an interesting problem, though I assume the console manufacturers would probably come to some sort of arrangement. Retailers are the last people you want to get on the wrong side of.
Ye, that is true, it would indeed suck to get the retailers on the wrong side as you say. I wonder how many PS3 Phats that are still in stock in all of the stores combined.

onken said:
Pretty heavily, as far as I'm aware.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) Hopefully many people are aware of that the PS3 Slim is coming and that the PS3's price is now about $100 cheaper, so we get to see some high hardware sales :)

The PS3 Slim will have both an immediate effect and a prolonged one that will raise the hardware weekly all through the next year. That's the difference between hardware and software selling systems. The PSP 2000 is a great example of this. It provided a boost right at launch, and then went on to help sell PSP hardware for the next 1-2 years.

Also, 2500th post!!!

gerg

Stopsign said:
The PS3 Slim will have both an immediate effect and a prolonged one that will raise the hardware weekly all through the next year. That's the difference between hardware and software selling systems. The PSP 2000 is a great example of this. It provided a boost right at launch, and then went on to help sell PSP hardware for the next 1-2 years.

Actually, I think it's the other way around.

It was Monster Hunter that sustained PSP sales for so long.

Top Bottom