• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

EXGN

schuelma said:
I think you're severely overestimating those titles as being able to keep what will probably be previously unprecedented sales to a "decent" level. I fully agree that Sony should have a very good September. After that, I see nothing to keep hardware sales up until December when FF13 most likely hits.

I guess if reading this thread taught me one thing, it's that I should clarify. I fully expect the PS3 to sell in the 20K-30K range weekly after September.

Also, Tekken is a pretty big franchise in Japan... If it does the transition to the HD consoles as well as Soul Calibur did, it should move maybe 100K-150K opening week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EXGN said:
I guess if reading this thread taught me one thing, it's that I should clarify. I fully expect the PS3 to sell in the 20K-30K range weekly after September.

Also, Tekken is a pretty big franchise in Japan... If it does the transition to the HD consoles as well as Soul Calibur did, it should move maybe 100K-150K opening week.

1- Selling in the 20-K-30K weekly range after September would represent a very significant baseline increase in PS3 sales. If it sells 20K a week that's doubling the current baseline, if it sells 30K you're tripling it.

2- Even if Tekken did that much first week, I don't think that's a number that can "maintain" a new baseline.

Kenka

EXGN said:

This is too much of a stretch, I can't see the PS3 reaching such levels sustainably without big big hitters, even with the price drop. Most of the anticipated software is on other consoles now, mostly the DS and somehow the PSP and the Wii.

I will not go as far as to say that the PS3 is dead in Japan.

But its only true contender at this level for comparision will remain Gamecube.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
09/3 - Slim & Gundam Senki & 428
09/10 - Trinity Universe
09/17 - Tales of Vesperia & Tears to Tiara
09/24 - Nothing
10/01 - Musou Multiraid Special & Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
10/08 - White Knight EX Re-Release
10/15 - Uncharted 2
10/?? - Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
10/22 - FIFA 10
10/29 - Bayonetta & Tekken 6
11/05 - 3D Dot Game Heroes
11/12 - Dragon Ball Raging Blast
11/?? - End of Eternity
12/?? - Final Fantasy XIII
12/?? - Gran Turismo 5

That doesn't seem like a bad line up at all imo. Bolded are titles I believe have the ability to "sustain" a decent level of sales while putting up good software sales individually. They have one of these every couple of weeks. The only potential problem is that the biggest hitters (Slim/Gundam and EoE/FFXIII/GT5) are stacked on the ends of the lineup. They really could've done with one of them in between and I can see October through first half of November potentially being an issue.

Majmun

ethelred said:
Oh, I see. You're delusional. That's unfortunate. :(

<text snip>

I really don't know why you're still mentioning the DS to my Ps3 and X360 remark.

We all know the DS' userbase is over 5 times larger than Ps360's userbase combined in Japan. Everything in comparisson is a failure.

I was talking about Ps3 and X360 and their jrpg's. Releasing exclusive "big" jrpg's on an unpopular console would only harm the more popular console in the end. In this case the Ps3. I'm sure Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and The Last Remnant would've sold better on the Ps3 in the end. And better sales would stimulate developers to make more jrpg's for the console. Releasing exclusive X360 jrpg's was a bad move for most developers and an overall bad start for console jrpg's. No wonder most jrpg's are being announced as multi now.

And I still don't understand that DS list. It's not as if FFIII/IV remakes, Revenant Wings, DQIV/V/VI remakes, Chrono Trigger etc would ever see a light on the consoles. They were destined for the DS. DQ and FF games would also sell well on the X360 anyway. Tales selling better on the DS and PSP is thanks to the bigger userbase and the animosity towards the X360.

Second said:
I really don't know why you're still mentioning the DS to my Ps3 and X360 remark.

Because your claim was that the 360 "hurt" the PS3 in some way by taking jRPGs away from it, that claim is ludicrous and completely ignores the broader context of the market (where every other system has had its jRPGs by and large taken away by the DS), so you got smacked down for it. It's pretty straightforward really.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sage00 said:
09/10 - Trinity Universe
09/24 - Nothing
10/15 - Uncharted 2
10/22 - FIFA 10
11/?? - End of Eternity
12/?? - Gran Turismo 5

That doesn't seem like a bad line up at all imo. Bolded are titles I believe have the ability to "sustain" a decent level of sales while putting up good software sales individually. They have one of these every couple of weeks. The only potential problem is that the biggest hitters (Slim/Gundam and EoE/FFXIII/GT5) are stacked on the ends of the lineup. They really could've done with one of them in between and I can see October through first half of November potentially being an issue.
The number you predict as opening week for Tekken 6 will probably be its LTD, PES 2010 comes out November and not October in Japan and how can you be so sure that both GT5 and FFXIII will come out this year?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Chris1964 said:
The number you predict as opening week for Tekken 6 will probably be its LTD, PES 2010 comes out November and not October in Japan and how can you be so sure that both GT5 and FFXIII will come out this year?
I am fairly sure they both will. GT5 will, certainly, barring any last minute delay (and this is Polyphony so..). FFXIII, well, we'll find out in a few days won't we?

schuelma

Sage00 said:
I am fairly sure they both will. GT5 will, certainly, barring any last minute delay (and this is Polyphony so..). FFXIII, well, we'll find out in a few days won't we?

FF13 is a lock, less convinced on GT5, at least for Japan.

EXGN

schuelma said:
1- Selling in the 20-K-30K weekly range after September would represent a very significant baseline increase in PS3 sales. If it sells 20K a week that's doubling the current baseline, if it sells 30K you're tripling it.

2- Even if Tekken did that much first week, I don't think that's a number that can "maintain" a new baseline.

I'm not sure if the past few weeks of PS3 shortages in Japan are skewing peoples judgments, but 2009 to date, the PS3 has sold roughly 600K units in Japan. That averages to 18.5/week, with only 2 weeks or so of real high profile releases. I really don't think that 20k/week is inconceivable with the proposed price cut alone, let alone a pretty decent line up of games, including Gundam, Tekken, Bayonetta, etc.

schuelma

EXGN said:
I'm not sure if the past few weeks of PS3 shortages in Japan are skewing peoples judgments, but 2009 to date, the PS3 has sold roughly 600K units in Japan. That averages to 18.5/week, with only 2 weeks or so of real high profile releases. I really don't think that 20k/week is inconceivable with the proposed price cut alone.

You can't do that though. You have to account for the temporary bumps it has received. After the FF13 demo it settled back into the same space it has occupied for the first two plus years- 10K a week.

charlequin said:
Because your claim was that the 360 "hurt" the PS3 in some way by taking jRPGs away from it, that claim is ludicrous and completely ignores the broader context of the market (where every other system has had its jRPGs by and large taken away by the DS), so you got smacked down for it. It's pretty straightforward really.
I've got to say though.

This market shift has been terrific for one thing... gaming drama!

I've never seen so many companies and fans flip their lids at one time before. Even the death of Sega as a platform manufacturer didn't seem anywhere near as big, nor did it seem to affect many. The industry was turned on it's head, handhelds are a large segment of every gaming market, but they have a significant stake in the Japanese market.

Japanese developers were rightfully concerned. Design principles behind handhelds, even the more technically proficient, are entirely different then their console brethren. The games don't exactly have to be shorter but they need to come in manageable bites. This is where turn-based RPG's really have an advantage. And likely where they'll always have a home from now on.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
FF13 is a lock, less convinced on GT5, at least for Japan.
The fact that they're holding a distinct event to announce the release date in a couple of days away from the public spectacle of TGS has me worried.

schuelma

Sage00 said:
The fact that they're holding a distinct event to announce the release date in a couple of days away from the public spectacle of TGS has me worried.

Why? You think they would announce a release date in September for a 2010 game? I guess its possible, but that doesn't seem very likely to me.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
Why? You think they would announce a release date in September for a 2010 game? I guess its possible, but that doesn't seem very likely to me.
I think if they were delaying it to 2010 that hosting an event now to get the disappointment out of the way before TGS would be the best way to do it.

Majmun

charlequin said:

Maybe it's just me. But I only see DQIX as a huge loss for the consoles.

The majority of the DS jrpg's would've landed on the DS anyway, or on a different handheld...

Second said:
Maybe it's just me. But I only see DQIX as a huge loss for the consoles.

Right, because as we just established upthread a minute ago, you apparently have a pretty poor understanding of the market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Second said:
The majority of the DS jrpg's would've landed on the DS anyway, or on a different handheld...

It's not that TWEWY was poached from PS3 to DS, it's that the development resources spent pursuing TWEWY would have historically been used on a console RPG. While last generation, many publishers were 80/20 Console/Handheld, they are now 20/80. It's not about the exact games, it's about the amount of focus it receives.

And that's the weakness of your claim about the 360; listing a series of titles that "would have" been on the PS3 ignores the fact that the ball game has totally changed.

dyls

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that the 360 is a bigger failure than the PS3. The 360 came in with very modest expectations and has lived up to or slightly exceeded them. The PS3? Sony could have made a shoe box with the word Playstation written in sharpie on the top and it would have done only marginally worse than the PS3 has. Probably the biggest failure in the history of the Japanese videogame industry in terms of expectations vs. performance.

gkryhewy

dyls said:
I'm not sure how anyone could argue that the 360 is a bigger failure than the PS3. The 360 came in with very modest expectations and has lived up to or slightly exceeded them. The PS3? Sony could have made a shoe box with the word Playstation written in sharpie on the top and it would have done only marginally worse than the PS3 has. Probably the biggest failure in the history of the Japanese videogame industry in terms of expectations vs. performance.

Wait till glow wands!

Majmun

Yes, I understand the console to handhelds switch. More and more games are being announced for the handhelds.

Nintendo handhelds always did well when it came to support. But I'm more intrigued by the lack of console jrpg's this gen, and the developer's decision over the correct platform for their games. And my standpoint was that choosing the X360 as the platform to release your jrpg's on was a bad decision.

Why develop something so expensive and ambitious and release it exclusively on an unpopular console? (for Japan in this case) Devs really shoot themselves in the foot with that. I'd also take the save DS route after the losses...

test_account

XP-39C²
dyls said:
There are different ways to look at "failure" though, at least in my opinion. One way to look at it is when it comes to sales VS expectations as you say, and in this case, then the PS3 is probably a bigger failure than the Xbox 360 indeed, i agree.

Another way to look at it is on how much interest people have in a gaming system. Xbox 360 was released about 11 months before the PS3, the Xbox 360 were always cheaper (or maybe not the Xbox 360 Elite model) compared the PS3's price, the Xbox 360 got several of exclusive and/or time exclusive RPG games, several of bigger titled games like Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5 where also released on the Xbox 360 (so people dont have to buy a PS3 to play these games if they want, they could play these games on a Xbox 360 instead) and the graphics between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 in general is basicly just as good. There were many factors that could make the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 in Japan, at least in theory.

The Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 in USA for example, and one of the reasons for this is probably due to the price tag, so why isnt this happening in Japan as well? I dont think that the PS3 has gotten that many more games in Japan that could impact the hardware sales a lot, but maybe i am wrong.

But regarding if the PS3 or the Xbox 360 is the biggest failure in Japan, i guess it depends on how "failure" is defined.

By the way, how much did Sony expect the PS3 to sell in Japan?

EDIT: I added some text.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
The 360 is a virtual non-entity in Japan. It has made no impact on the Japanese market, and most gaming consumers in Japan are more than willing to ignore its existence and the entirety of its software library. I think I've gotten the point quite well, thanks.

The 360 has granted many multiplatform games the extra sales boosts that publishers, both Japanese and non-Japanese, need in order to be profitable, or have otherwise seen some kind of benefit.

We've seen breakdowns between multiplatform games that would have been unimaginable last generation.

[Nintex]

Second said:
Yes, I understand the console to handhelds switch. More and more games are being announced for the handhelds.

Nintendo handhelds always did well when it came to support. But I'm more intrigued by the lack of console jrpg's this gen, and the developer's decision over the correct platform for their games. And my standpoint was that choosing the X360 as the platform to release your jrpg's on was a bad decision.

Why develop something so expensive and ambitious and release it exclusively on an unpopular console? (for Japan in this case) Devs really shoot themselves in the foot with that. I'd also take the save DS route after the losses...
There's several reasons:
1) When some of these games started development there wasn't a PS3 or Wii yet.
2) The Japanese console market was lagging behind Europe and the US. Developers tried to reach the US/EU markets by releasing their games on the system that sold the most overseas before Wii mania, the Xbox 360. The JRPG genre pretty much tanked in the west though.
3) The PS3 didn't have a spectacular launch, nor did Sony approach those developers to work on PS3. They figured(just like everybody else) that they would just jump from PS2 to PS3.

sphinx

the piano man
like in arts and food, I always say the more the better but in the particular case of the PS360WII generation, I believe that one of the 2 HD consoles is using unneeded mind and marketshare.

If one HD console didn't exist, people would buy the other one from the get go and publishers and developers wouldn't have to be thinking a thousand times about what to develop where and specially regarding the risk, it's like publishers will think once to make a DS game but they will think 1000 times before they green light a home console game.

Some of you will tell me I am being silly but I think Sega + Nintendo, or Sony + Nintendo was wonderful for anyone's gaming needs. I'll buy nintendo for nintendo stuff and I'll buy another console for the other stuff, simple as that.

The one HD console exists to make the other HD console's existence miserable and that's what there is to the HD console wars, we all lose with it.

dyls said:
I'm not sure how anyone could argue that the 360 is a bigger failure than the PS3.

In Japan alone? It's all about how heavily you weight expectations/previous performance vs. raw local performance. Microsoft has spent, I imagine, far more money on the Japanese market than Sony this cycle and gotten a worse performance out of it, so if you localize expectations to the current cycle they've done quite terribly.

Personally, I like to think of each of them as having failed in their own unique and special way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
charlequin said:
In Japan alone? It's all about how heavily you weight expectations/previous performance vs. raw local performance. Microsoft has spent, I imagine, far more money on the Japanese market than Sony this cycle and gotten a worse performance out of it, so if you localize expectations to the current cycle they've done quite terribly.

Personally, I like to think of each of them as having failed in their own unique and special way.
I kind of get the feeling that Microsoft's main intention with pushing the 360 in Japan was to get Japanese developers making games on the system, mainly for adding more appeal to the Xbox 360 in Western markets.

As soon as all the big Japanese publishers were fully pledged to the system, Microsoft's Japanese support seemed to dry up overnight.

So, while I think they totally failed in terms of absolute sales, it seems they might have fully accomplished the goal they set out to reach.

I'm not sure if that makes the 360 in Japan any less of a failure than the PS3, but on a global scale it seems Sony might have lost more overall from their performance here.

onken

V_Arnold said:
Actually, you are pretty much dead wrong in a lot of things.
If you live in a world where only "failure" and "success" is, then yes, PS3 and 360 is both a failure, and that is the end of story.

However, Xbox 360 not only managed to greatly outsell its predecessor in Japan, it also managed to secure a few JRPG's for the machine, with a lot getting its majority of sales on Xbox 360. While JRPG overall might be a declining genre, still: the 360's 2nd year has improved on the first, and the 3rd year improved even more - and thus it is not a failure.
It is in the 3rd place, and will stay there, yes. But declaring it is "virtual non-entity" is something I would like to teach in school under the name " Seminar: Missing the point I."

The original Xbox managed 500k WITHOUT a bevy of exclusive top-draw JRPGs (I dread to think how much MS has sunk into the Japanese market in price cuts and "incentives"), I can't understand why people view the 360's 1m as a success.

apujanata

test_account said:
The Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 in USA for example, and one of the reasons for this is probably due to the price tag, so why isnt this happening in Japan as well? I dont think that the PS3 has gotten that many more games in Japan that could impact the hardware sales a lot, but maybe i am wrong.

I think it is because several factors :
- name /brand recognition: XBOX is much less than PS2, so most people who didn't know / interested in XBOX assume that X360 is XBOX enhanced, and didn't bother with it.
- Quality : Japanese are much more resistant to bad quality product, and I believe everyone agree that X360 are considered "bad" quality product (compared to PS2, XBOX etc). This same thing happened in Germany, but didn't happen in US (US are much more lenient towards "bad" quality products).

test_account said:
What is the PS3 stuff in the end of the Youtube video? It looks like some special PS3 controller bundle or something?
11ada36.jpg

It's a special commemorative launch set given away to the first 150 individuals who bought a PS3 Slim. The bundle includes a DualShock 3, one PS3 t-shirt, a limited edition PSN Card with 500 TWD and a limited edition USB card reader.

Awntawn

Sage00 said:
I think if they were delaying it to 2010 that hosting an event now to get the disappointment out of the way before TGS would be the best way to do it.
SE announcing the release date for the latest installment of their biggest franchise to the consumers who are just waiting with their wallets open is not the same as you showing your mom your report card.

jrricky

Banned
Kenka said:
Maybe he was pointing on the fact that the 4 best selling third-party titles on Nintendo DS are all Dragon Quest games.

edit : here is the list of ten first best selling games made by third-parties on DS (courtesy of the_lascar)

Famitsu numbers except Dragon Quest IX (which are slightly old if I don't get wrong)

Comparision with PS2 (sorry for Gran Turismo and Minna no Golf intrusions) :
I don't understand...why are GT and HSG in the list?

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
I think it is because several factors :
- name /brand recognition: XBOX is much less than PS2, so most people who didn't know / interested in XBOX assume that X360 is XBOX enhanced, and didn't bother with it.
- Quality : Japanese are much more resistant to bad quality product, and I believe everyone agree that X360 are considered "bad" quality product (compared to PS2, XBOX etc). This same thing happened in Germany, but didn't happen in US (US are much more lenient towards "bad" quality products).
Ye, good points :) I think that these points are some of the reasons for the low Xbox 360 sales in Japan indeed. I wonder if the Bluray player in the PS3 is also one factor that people might buy a PS3 instead of a Xbox 360 in Japan.

archnemesis said:
http://i31.tinypic.com/11ada36.jpg

It's a special commemorative launch set given away to the first 150 individuals who bought a PS3 Slim. The bundle includes a DualShock 3, one PS3 t-shirt, a limited edition PSN Card with 500 TWD and a limited edition USB card reader.
Ah, cool! Only 150 of these sets made seems like a really limited number which would make it a pretty good collectible in my opinion, soi wouldnt mind owning one of these PS3 controller bundle set myself :) Thanks for the info and for the picture! :)

EDIT: By the way, is (or was) this PS3 controller bundle set only available in Taiwan?

Durante

charlequin said:
Stumpokapow said:
And that's the weakness of your claim about the 360; listing a series of titles that "would have" been on the PS3 ignores the fact that the ball game has totally changed.
While I don't see much merit in discussing what "would have" happened without 360 I don't understand how any of your arguments refute Second's claim. Regardless of how the split between handheld and console JRPGs changed, he is talking about how the latter chunk was distributed among consoles. Even if that chunk was relatively smaller than in previous generations it was also distributed quite differently than ever before.

They are usually leaked in about an hour. The leak was very unreliable in the past few weeks, though, so we may not get any leaked numbers at all today and have to settle for the Famitsu Top 10 and whatever sinobi provides.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sage00 said:
09/10 - Trinity Universe
09/24 - Nothing
10/15 - Uncharted 2
10/22 - FIFA 10
11/?? - End of Eternity
12/?? - Gran Turismo 5

uh not that good , it's full of ports , re releases and games that Japanese don't care about , PS3 in Japan problem is lack of games , it need steady stream of good games , from genres that Japanese gamers actually care about , late ports and rereleases will not do anything for PS3 in Japan .

and wow , SCE Japan Studio is indeed a big failure this gen ( I mean SCEJ internal Studios not Polyphony digital or Clap Hanz ) , where are their games ? , unlike in the west where SCEE and SCEA giving PS3 good amount of first party games in every quarter , SCE Japan Studio is doing nothing for PS3 .

Paracelsus

Totobeni said:
uh not that good , it's full of ports , re releases and games that Japanese don't care about , PS3 in Japan problem is lack of games , it need steady stream of good games , from genres that Japanese gamers actually care about , late ports and rereleases will not do anything for PS3 in Japan .

and wow ,
( I mean SCEJ internal Studios not Polyphony digital or Clap Hanz ) , where are their games ? , unlike in the west where SCEE and SCEA giving PS3 good amount of first party games in every quarter , SCE Japan Studio is doing nothing for PS3 .

Many other people already said this, but let me remind you that SCEJ effort last gen wasn't any better than this time around. You probably didn't notice (most of us didn't either) because we were filled with third-party games. Also, the last three games in the list (probably the last six plus PES2010) are enough to cover an entire holiday season.

1/ Tomodachi Collection
2/ Dragon Quest IX
3/ Dream C Club
4/ Wii Sports Resort
5/ SoulCalibur Broken Destiny
6/ Monster Hunter 3
7/ Super Robot Gakuen
8/ Hakuôki Zuisôroku
9/ Mono ya Okane no Shikumi (Nintendo x Nikkei)
10/ Hakuôki Portable

test_account said:
Famitsu.com has now posted the Top 10 :) Tomodachi Collection is at number 1, Dragon Quest 9 is at number 2 and Monster Hunter 3 is at number 6.

Sooo....

Soul Calibur at #5 means that Monster Hunter could be under 30k, as SC opened with a 23k first day, and I expect it to have cleared 30k but not by much. A 25k-30k week for MH would be reasonable, but I wonder now whether it will stabilise at that level or just tail off completely in the next couple of weeks.

Kenka

The_lascar said:
1/ Tomodachi Collection
2/ Dragon Quest IX
3/ Dream C Club
4/ Wii Sports Resort
5/ SoulCalibur Broken Destiny
6/ Monster Hunter 3
7/ Super Robot Gakuen
8/ Hakuôki Zuisôroku
9/ Mono ya Okane no Shikumi (Nintendo x Nikkei)
10/ Hakuôki Portable

Thanks lascar. So MH3 around 30'000 maybe ?

Road

Cosmonaut X said:
Sooo....

Soul Calibur at #5 means that Monster Hunter could be under 30k, as SC opened with a 23k first day, and I expect it to have cleared 30k but not by much. A 25k-30k week for MH would be reasonable, but I wonder now whether it will stabilise at that level or just tail off completely in the next couple of weeks.

30k this week for MH3 would put it again eerily simlar to DW5.

Top Bottom