• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

speculawyer said:
It never ceases to amaze me how different the Japanese market is compared to the USA & Europe.
It's always been different... this gen though is a freaking landmark shift in Japanese game buying habits.

The vast majority of gamers became handheld dominant players in the span of a single console generation. That was freaking epic. I've never seen the videogame market anywhere do that. Sure there's changes in market leaders, but we've never actually seen a market change like this, and neither has the development community.

Which is why we're seeing so many Japanese companies shift focus away from the Japanese market.

test_account

XP-39C²
future_pinoy said:
The release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, will be the acid test of PS3 Slim against Wii. I'd love to see NSMBW take Final Fantasy XIII and Gran Turismo 5 head on. See who gets to a non game status first. Your pick GAF ?

Damn !!! NSMB just wont die ...
If New Super Mario Bros Wii, Final Fantasy XIII and Gran Turismo 5 was released in the same week, i think that both NSMBW and FFXIII would both reach 1 million copies sold within the first week. It might be hard to know if NSMBW or FFXIII reached 1 million copies first though.

Awntawn said:
Only 3700 casualties
Casualties in what way?

onken said:
Good MH3 sales still, maybe there's hope for non-handhelds yet :D

The lack of price drop on the PS3 fats is really puzzling, because as far as I'm aware there's still quite a lot of stock on shelves. What possible reason could Sony have for that? Are they going to write them off as a tax-break or something?
If i am not mistaken, the stores are the ones who decide the price on the PS3 Phat. If the stores bought the PS3 Phat in for example 35,000 yen (unfortunately i have no idea what the buy-in price is/was for the PS3 Phat), then they might not want to drop the price just yet, or else they will lose money. I dont think that Sony will compencate this loss, and that is why many stores havnt dropped the price on the PS3 Phat yet, but i might be wrong.

But if this is the case, i am a bit surprised that the stores havnt dropped the price on the PS3 Phat anyway. Maybe the stores will drop the price on the PS3 Phat once the PS3 Slim comes out? This way the consumers can choose if they want a PS3 Phat or a PS3 Slim for the same price (taken into account that the stores drop the price on the PS3 Phat to about 29,980 yen like the PS3 Slim costs).

onken said:
But still what? Did you not see that picture with fat PS3s at 40,000Y sat on the same shelf as a slim pre-order for 30,000? Hell, I'm amazed they sold 2000.
This week's sales contains a few days before the PS3 Slim announcement. Maybe most of these 2000 PS3 consoles were sold before the PS3 Slim announcement, but i dont know. I think that the next week's sales should be interesting :) Seeing how the PS3 sold 2000 consoles this week, i guess that the PS3 hardware sales will be under 1000 in the next week.

onken

test_account said:
If i am not mistaken, the stores are the ones who decide the price on the PS3 Phat. If the stores bought the PS3 Phat in for example 35,000 yen (unfortunately i have no idea what the buy-in price is/was for the PS3 Phat), then they might not want to drop the price just yet, or else they will lose money. I dont think that Sony will compencate this loss, and that is why many stores havnt dropped the price on the PS3 Phat yet, but i might be wrong.

But if this is the case, i am a bit surprised that the stores havnt dropped the price on the PS3 Phat anyway. Maybe the stores will drop the price on the PS3 Phat once the PS3 Slim comes out? This way the consumers can choose if they want a PS3 Phat or a PS3 Slim for the same price (taken into account that the stores drop the price on the PS3 Phat to about 29,980 yen like the PS3 Slim costs).

If they were buying them at your guess price of 35,000, then why would even want to sell them at a 5000Y loss every time? Surely better to hold onto them and try to arrange some sort of recall/compensation from Sony.

This week's sales contains a few days before the PS3 Slim announcement. Maybe most of these 2000 PS3 consoles were sold before the PS3 Slim announcement, but i dont know. I think that the next week's sales should be interesting :) Seeing how the PS3 sold 2000 consoles this week, i guess that the PS3 hardware sales will be under 1000 in the next week.

Yes I would wager most of those 2000 sales would have been made during those first few days. Of course the insinuation here is that the PS3 had a random 60% drop in sales that has nothing to do with the slim/price drop announcement. What sounds more likely?

PS3 sales
2afg7t3.jpg

but hey, they will pick up

onken

Grampasso said:
This made me sick :(
PS3 sales are not surprising anyway, it always happens when a restyle comes up
except handhelds

The guy wasn't hurt, freakin miracle. Was quite a big story for a while.

e~ but yeah I can see how most people wouldn't know that.

Anasui Kishibe said:
cool your jets choirboys, chap had minor injuries

Next time you post something like that, be sure to give a source. Thanks to that gif, the thread is going to be off course for a page or two.

Lucis

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (08/27)

[PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Bandai Namco) - 23,000 (33%)
[360] Dream C Club (D3 Publisher) - 23,000 (60%)
[NDS] Super Robot Gakuen (Bandai Namco) - 22,000 (39%)
[NDS] Nanashi no Game Me (Square Enix) - 7,900 (19%)
[NDS] Shiranai Mama dewa Son wo Suru: Mono ya Okane no Shikumi DS (Nintendo) - 6,100 (10%)
[PSP] Ninja Katsugeki: Tenchu San Portable (From Software) - 5,000 (20%)
[PS2] Hakuouki: Zuisouroku (Idea Factory) - SE 4,000 (51%)
[PS2] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb.) - LE 3,100 (54%)
[PS3] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (CyberFront) - 3,100 (25%)
[360] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (CyberFront) - 2,900 (35%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1251379640/282

waaaaaaaaay low

bttb said:

[NDS] Shiranai Mama dewa Son wo Suru: Mono ya Okane no Shikumi DS (Nintendo) - 6,100 (10%)
[PS2] Hakuouki: Zuisouroku (Idea Factory) - SE 4,000 (51%)
[360] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb.) - LE 3,100 (54%)

fixed

many new titles this week for 360 (there are also a bunch of new platinum games), it might overpass 10k
before the storm arrives

The Abominable Snowman said:
First day sales are abysmal. I hope lots of people downloaded Soul Calibur.

Legally, that is. I know the torrents already had more DLs than this titles first day sales.
Out of curiosity I looked to see the actual number and oh god 40,000+ downloads and at least 20,000+ seeds. I'm not naive to the situation with stealing games, but holy moly the torrents have only been up for a day (I checked as it could have been a Rockband: Unplugged situation). It's stuff like this that actually makes me feel bad for companies like Namco.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
bttb said:

Well, that's a bit rubbish, I thought lots of people wanted to play SC on PSP....
Saint10118 said:
Out of curiosity I looked to see the actual number and oh god 40,000+ downloads and at least 20,000+ seeds. I'm not naive to the situation with stealing games, but holy moly the torrents have only been up for a day (I checked as it could have been a Rockband: Unplugged situation). It's stuff like this that actually makes me feel bad for companies like Namco.
Oh. Fucking pirates.

I find it interesting that Sony has 2 of the most and least pirated consoles of all time simultaneously in the market right now.

Edit: Good point, will change statement

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
holy shit @ piracy taking at least two-thirds of Soul Calibur's potential sales (possibility of people who wouldn't have paid for it in the first place notwithstanding)

viciouskillersquirrel said:
We've got a nasty Bad Bird and some nasty ninja crows

:lol I loved that anime.

duckroll said:
Oh so you've counted them all?
I'm thinking that the least pirated would have been the Sega Master System or the PC Engine - at least during the systems' lifetimes. Does anyone know if either of those systems had problems with counterfeit or pirate carts? PS3 is still a live system, and the removal of the 'other operating system' option may inspire some to work out a more creative solution.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. [WII] EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer (Electronic Arts Victor)
32. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
33. [NDS] Gokuhou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
34. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Namco Bandai)
35. [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo)
36. [ΝDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
37. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko Pachislot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14: CR Shinseiki Evangelion - Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
38. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Future Hyper Explosion!! (Takara Tomy)
39. [ΝDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
40. [ΝDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
41. [PS3] Red Faction: Guerilla (Spike)
42. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation: Wars (Namco Bandai)
43. [WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Prince of the Dawn (Square Enix)
44. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
45. [ΝDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
46. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
49. [NDS] Live Battle Card: Live-On DS (Acquire)
48. [NDS] Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (Konami)
49. [ΝDS] Paul Sloan & Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)
50. [NDS] Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer (Sega)
__. [ALL] Total software sales - 800.909 / 37.737.755

jrricky

Banned
Man, if there ever was a time when the PS3 sold less than 15000 in the NPD, all hell would break loose.:lol

Man, Sony made their bed and thats where they are gonna lie. Everything will come back to normal after atleast 2 weeks of slim on the market...

bttb said:

[PS2] Hakuouki: Zuisouroku (Idea Factory) - SE 4,000 (51%) / LE 2,600 (64%)
[PS2] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb.) - LE 3,100 (54%) / SE 1,600 (45%)
[PSP] Hakuouki Portable (Idea Factory) - SE 2,800 (44%) / LE 2,100 (45%)
[PS2] Gendai Daisenryaku: Isshoku Sokuhatsu - Gunji Balance Houkai (System Soft Alpha) - 1,400 (23%)
[PSP] Gendai Daisenryaku: Isshoku Sokuhatsu - Gunji Balance Houkai (System Soft Alpha) - 1,100 (13%)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom) - 980 (14%)
[360] Memories Off 6, Double Pack (5pb.) - 660 (48%)
[PSP] Juujigen Rippoutai Cipher Portable (Abel) - 660 (22%)
[360] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb.) - LE 610 (23%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1251379640/303

SE = Standard Edition / LE = Limited Edition

Edit: updated list with more figures.
That's... really low...

Sheesh, some tough sell-through for the last week of the month.

Poor number and poor sell through. It doesn't even come close to the 360 version of SCIV (36k, PS3 51k). With a 70k shipment though, it'll eventually end up higher than it, and a little above half what the PS3 version did (LTD 360 is 53k, PS3 is 120k). Doesn't look like it'll need another shipment (hell, it looks like price collapse material if it doesn't pull a good weekend and 2nd week).

Not as bad as I thought. Original 360 Idolmaster did 19k first day. Nowhere near the second of the PSP one though.

Well, good news, we probably won't see more of this. Just the gazillion normal SRT.

First one did 17k (40%) and 31k for the week. Doesn't look good at all.

51751RH3LDL._SL160_SL125_.jpg

What the heck is this? :lol

Holy crap, Tenchu is dead. Armored Core port did so much better its not funny. 4 others ports coming (six were announced at a time), thankfully for From Software, two are Armored Core.

adamma666 said:
is this

Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 18,000 / 907,000 (-33%)

going to be the first BEST-release that broke a million? or did any other rerelease achieve this goal?
Yes. It's already hundreds of thousands beyond any previous Best.
pseudocaesar said:
Gonna be funny seeing one week is the PS3's lowest, when the next week will be PS3's biggest.
I was a doubter that it would get such a huge bump, but I'm starting to become a believer. I mean, all these pre-bump "valley" weeks are putting the system something like 20K lower than it would've been without them. So a bump of 20K would just be catching up to regular demand, let alone anything extra.
sphinx said:
just for sheetz and giggles:D

what console reached 2,052 earlier? PS3 or Gamecube (
or Ngage?
) ?
GameCube first started hitting that range mid-late 2005, 3.5-4 years from launch. It was then doing it pretty consistently, though.

Road

Dengeki sales -- 08/17 - 08/23:

01./01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 81,168 / 3,713,048
02./02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 71,189 / 831,113
03./--. [PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again (Ecole Software) - 45,088 / NEW
04./04. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 43,047 / 802,099
05./03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 37,306 / 1,041,530
06./05. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai) - 20,245 / 269,145
07./07. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 19,733 / 127,394
08./--. [PSP] Okami Kakushi (Sly Wolf) (Konami) - 16,945 / NEW
09./08. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 15,563 / 914,888
10./06. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai) - 13,426 / 182,799

11./09. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 12,606 / 108,442
12./11. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 8,600 / 53,833
13./14. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 8,344 / 52,306
14./13. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 8,139 / 103,745
15./10. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Namco Bandai) - 7,995 / 77,717
16./12. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 7,540 / 55,239
17./--. [PSP] Kin-iro no Corda 2 f Encore (Koei) - 6,372 / NEW
18./--. [PS2] S.Y.K Shinsetsu Seiyuki (Journey to the West - New Theory) (Idea Factory) - 5,914 / NEW
19./22. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 5,713
20./16. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (My Summer Vacation 4): Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCEI) - 5,578

Other LTD:
[PS2] Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (Ecole Software) - 54k FW / 123k LTD

Hardware:
Code:
DS	65,507 (-31,562) / 27,351,302
PSP	24,150 (-15,899) / 12,575,871
Wii	29,085 (-22,946) /  8,538,510
PS3	 1,367 ( -2,618) /  3,357,362
X360	 6,647 ( -1,845) /  1,111,540
PS2	 3,666 ( -2,027)
http://news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html and http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/454/454796/

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
51751RH3LDL._SL160_SL125_.jpg

What the heck is this? :lol

Now that you've laughed, it will become Nintendo's next big DS hit!

RJT

Yes, PSP has lots of piracy. It's still a low number. Lots of number sell better than that on PSP in Japan. Those are the number we should compare SC to, not piracy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bmf said:
I'm thinking that the least pirated would have been the Sega Master System or the PC Engine - at least during the systems' lifetimes. Does anyone know if either of those systems had problems with counterfeit or pirate carts?

For the master system at least, there were a number of <x>-in-1 junker carts, and if bootleg companies could do that, they could likely release pirate/counterfeit carts.

cvxfreak said:
Now that you've laughed, it will become Nintendo's next big DS hit!
Yeah, but we need to give it a nickname, there's no way I remember its actual name. The cover is the only pic at amazon too. Having a look at its website makes it even more confusing to me: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/betj/index.html

But just checked anoop had an entry in his blog:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/08/nintendo_nikkei_tieup/
The new app is titled Shiranai Mama dewa Son wo Suru: Mono ya Okane no Shikumi DS. This translates to something along the lines of "You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS."
Epic stuff.

ReyBrujo

Aaron Strife said:
I think Pokemon has a better chance than Mario, if only because it's closer.
But people wanting to buy DP would likely buy Platinum instead.

marc^o^ said:
There will always be children that turn 5 who will be offered their 1st video game, which may push NSMB sales for a looong time.
Hmm...

test_account

XP-39C²
onken said:
If they were buying them at your guess price of 35,000, then why would even want to sell them at a 5000Y loss every time? Surely better to hold onto them and try to arrange some sort of recall/compensation from Sony.
Sure, if the stores can arrange some sort of recall/compensation from Sony as you say, then this would probably be the best solution for the stores, but how likely is it that this will happend? This is a serious question since unfortunately i dont know if gaming stores gets to do recall and/or get some compensation in Japan. I am under the impression that the stores would have to take the loss themself if they decide to drop the price, but maybe this is mostly when it comes to the games, and maybe things are a bit different when it comes to the hardware?

But if the stores cant get any recall and/or compesation from Sony, do they have much choice to not drop the price on the PS3 Phat and take the loss themself? I guess that the stores might not drop the price on the PS3 Phat and hope for that some people are willing to pay more for it in case someone likes the PS3 Phat design better than the PS3 Slim design. But i dont know how many people in general that are willing to pay extra money for the PS3 Phat mostly because of the different design.

onken said:
Yes I would wager most of those 2000 sales would have been made during those first few days. Of course the insinuation here is that the PS3 had a random 60% drop in sales that has nothing to do with the slim/price drop announcement. What sounds more likely?
Ye, the drop in the PS3 hardware sales is probably due to the PS3 Slim and price drop announcement indeed.

How good are the stores in adverticing the PS3 Slim and the price drop by the way? I saw a picture earlier in the thread where a store adverticed the PS3 Slim and the price drop, but that was just from one store. How is the situation in stores in general?

cvxfreak

ReyBrujo said:
But people wanting to buy DP would likely buy Platinum instead.

I thought so too, but then that beckons the question: why didn't last week's buyers buy Platinum instead?

I doubt DP passes 6 Million myself, unless HGSS lift the market for them, but that would be a huge stretch.

Top Bottom