• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 17-23, 2009

Taurus said:
Are PS3 phats really sold out in Japan or are people just waiting for Slim?

retailers in japan receveid some weeks ago the information that fats were being discontinued (no more shipment), then the slim got announced for japan launching at a cheaper price, but fats didn't receive a price cut in japan.

i think it's both: drying of old stocks and slim announcement which will be sold at 10000 yen less than the current model.

brassica

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but why don't we ever have PC games sales in Japan ?
Seeing these GTA 4 and FEAR on PS3 and 360 made me recollect they are also out on PC, at least in Europe and USA.

cvxfreak

Actually, Famitsu does put PC numbers up on their weekly magazines very often, but no one seems to care. The best selling game barely ever breaks 20K at launch.

gerg

brassica said:
Well, there should be a few, aside from all these dating sims and visual novels, am i right ?

One would think so, but with the apparent comparative lack of home PCs in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me. PC gaming seems to be a very niche market there.

Brofist

test_account said:
How good are the stores in adverticing the PS3 Slim and the price drop by the way? I saw a picture earlier in the thread where a store adverticed the PS3 Slim and the price drop, but that was just from one store. How is the situation in stores in general?

Of course all stores are advertising the slim heavily along with the price, and taking pre-orders.

Anasui Kishibe said:
cool your jets choirboys, chap had minor injuries

I thought the guy died for sure.

I wonder if PS3 sales will even reach 1000 this week.

Does anyone know 1st day sales for Soul Calibur 4 on PS3/360 so that we can compare?

cvxfreak said:
PS3 Slim will be huge.

Just sayin'.

Care to make a prediction for its 1st week sales?

Opiate

cvxfreak said:
PS3 Slim will be huge.

Just sayin'.

Yes, that's my sense as well, although I have so very little empirical information to go on.

Contrary to my usual strict adherence to real available data, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the PS3 will outsell the Wii in Japan over the course of the remaining 4 months of the year. I could absolutely be wrong, but I often feel strangly left out because I make so few predictions in comparison to other posters.

I'll try a bold prediction, and see what happens.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opiate said:
Yes, that's my sense as well, although I have so very little empirical information to go on.

Contrary to my usual strict adherence to real available data, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the PS3 will outsell the Wii in Japan over the course of the remaining 4 months of the year. I could absolutely be wrong, but I often feel strangly left out because I make so few predictions in comparison to other posters.

Interesting. It's certainly possible, but I still think that NSMB Wii is going to do a lot. Plus I doubt FF13 makes it until the very end of the year limiting its impact on the yearly sales.

Road

AranhaHunter said:
Does anyone know 1st day sales for Soul Calibur 4 on PS3/360 so that we can compare?
PS3 - 56k
360 - 35k
(Shinobi)

PS3 version ended the fist week with 74k. In the same pattern, SC:BD will close this week with 30k.

I can see the PS3 getting a few weeks ahead of Wii if FFXIII and GT5 come in December, but outselling it in the 3rd quarter is very unlikely.

Road

farnham said:
what software does Sony have to go with PS3 slim

they have gundam sengki, PES and FF 13 as far as i know..

Tales of Vesperia, Tekken 6, some Dynasty Warrior, GT5 (??), Bayonetta, NGSigma 2...

Err... Didn't realize the double posting. Sorry.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
RyuKanSan said:
What's coming to the Wii in the next couple months. Just read that FF:Crystal bearers is coming Thanksgiving in Japan

SRW Neo, Samurai Warrioes 3, Wi Fit+,NSMB Wii, Tales of Graces (?), Resident Evil DSC....

Grimmy

Banned
farnham said:
what software does Sony have to go with PS3 slim

they have gundam sengki, PES and FF 13 as far as i know..

9/03 428
9/03 Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki Record U.C. 0081
9/10 Trinity Universe
9/17 Tales of Vesperia
9/17 Tears to Tiara Gaiden: Avalon no Nazo
10/01 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
10/01 Shin Sangoku Musou MultiRaid Special
10/08 White Knight Chronicles EX Edition
10/15 Uncharted 2
10/22 FIFA 10
10/29 Bayonetta
10/29 Tekken 6
11/05 3D Dot Game Heroes
11/12 Dragon Ball Raging Blast

It's not a bad list of games, though of course quite a few are just niche titles (428, Trinity Universe, Tears to Tiara, etc.). And with December still unannounced, there might still be quite a few heavy-hitters which will boost the PS3 significantly. Plus, there will me some uptick in older titles like MGS4, RE5, Yakuza 3, etc. (though not huge - the used market takes care of that).

markatisu

Opiate said:

That is pretty bold, despite the launch month I do not see too much on the schedule that would give any kind of inkling to that theory though.

The next few weeks after launch are obviously going to be somewhat high since bascially nobody is buying the old model any longer

Grimmy said:
9/03 428
9/10 Trinity Universe
9/17 Tales of Vesperia
10/15 Uncharted 2
10/22 FIFA 10
10/29 Bayonetta
10/29 Tekken 6
11/05 3D Dot Game Heroes

It's not a bad list of games, though of course quite a few are just niche titles (428, Trinity Universe, Tears to Tiara, etc.). And with December still unannounced, there might still be quite a few heavy-hitters which will boost the PS3 significantly. Plus, there will me some uptick in older titles like MGS4, RE5, Yakuza 3, etc. (though not huge - the used market takes care of that).

I'll (not) go out on a limb, and say that New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Fit+ will outsell that whole lineup individually.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Grimmy said:
9/03 428
9/10 Trinity Universe
9/17 Tales of Vesperia
10/15 Uncharted 2
10/22 FIFA 10
10/29 Bayonetta
10/29 Tekken 6
11/05 3D Dot Game Heroes

With the exception of Gundam and Vesperia every other title from this list will have a very hard time to go over 200k (and that number is very generous). If a heavy hitter doesn't come out to compete New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and this title is only Final Fantasy XIII or Gran Turismo 5) it will be another typical holiday season for Wii vs. PS3.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 245 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 196.0 weeks (November 30, 2003), where DS was at 104.0 weeks (November 26, 2006), and where GBA was at 165.7 weeks (May 21, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 193 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 18.2 weeks (January 14, 2002), where PS3 was at 40.0 weeks (August 12, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.8 weeks (January 6, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 145 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 48.0 weeks (January 28, 2001), where PSP was at 71.1 weeks (April 17, 2006), where GCN was at 134.3 weeks (April 6, 2004), and where Wii was at 36.8 weeks (August 10, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 142 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 101.6 weeks (February 27, 2003), where DS was at 78.3 weeks (May 30, 2006), where PS2 was at 122.2 weeks (July 1, 2002), and where PSP was at 172.0 weeks (March 23, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 42 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 58.2 weeks (March 22, 2004) and where DSL was at 20.9 weeks (July 22, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 70.6 / 29.4 bring total shares to 68.4 / 31.6. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 543.6 weeks (January 24, 2020).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 81.4 / 18.6 make this the most X360-tilted week ever. This brings total shares to 25.2 / 74.8. At this week's rates, X360 catches up to PS3 in 313.6 weeks (August 28, 2015). If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 241.9 weeks (April 13, 2014).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 7.1 / 92.9 make this the most Wii-tilted week ever. This brings total shares to 28.0 / 72.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 2,503.1 weeks (August 13, 2057).

Week over week, everything is returning from a holiday bump, though for their own reasons Wii and PS3 drop even more. X360 drops the least and continues floating strangely high.
X360

Through the first thirty-four weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -54.2%
DSL+DSi: +14.0%
PS2: -52.2%
PS3: +1.8%
PSP: -46.2%
X360: +107.0%

Home hardware: -35.9%
Portable hardware: -19.6%
Sum of all hardware: -26.2%

Last year:

This year:

farnham said:
boils down to wii fit plus and NSMB Wii

Well those are the two main ones, but the others all should at least do above 200k. With the exception of maybe SRW Neo. Some should do more. Tales could possibly do 500k if marketed correctly, but I don't think that is too likely knowing Namco.

Sasuke, it is an add on, but it's an add on for 2000yen, which means it's going to sell a lot.

sphinx

the piano man
Some of the predictions here, like PS3 outselling Wii for months to come would be realistic if the proper software came along but I don't see what software will move the hardware past the initial hype.

my prediction is that it will sell great the first 4 weeks, then it will level down to stay head to head with the wii with both being around 15k-25k, with people actually responding to efforts of each company, a real "console war".

My guess, for the sake of gaming in Japan, is that this time PS3 and Wii will fight head to head for each consumer and Nintendo and Sony will try harder with the software. That way we all win.

If the people who should be buying the PS3 in Japan ( the "hardcore" ) would actually do it, that would show nintendo it pays to develop high-budget games and not just mini-games compilations. I am hoping for that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Stopsign said:
Sasuke, it is an add on, but it's an add on for 2000yen, which means it's going to sell a lot.
Ah, it will sell for sure - i way thinking more of potential system sellers, most people who wanted WiiFit already should own it.....i could see the same response as with wsr in regards to wii sports.

Grimmy

Banned
Chris1964 said:
With the exception of Gundam and Vesperia every other title from this list will have a very hard time to go over 200k (and that number is very generous). If a heavy hitter doesn't come out to compete New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and this title is only Final Fantasy XIII or Gran Turismo 5) it will be another typical holiday season for Wii vs. PS3.

That is why I said it's not a "bad" list of games and that many of the titles are niche. It's certainly better than the PS3 in years past. And frankly, is it even worth "competing" with the Wii at this point? As long as the PS3 gets a steady stream of decent quality titles I think that's already an improvement.

cw_sasuke said:
SRW Neo, Samurai Warrioes 3, Wi Fit+,NSMB Wii, Tales of Graces (?), Resident Evil DSC....

I think Graces is next year...

Grimmy said:
9/03 428
9/10 Trinity Universe
9/17 Tales of Vesperia
10/15 Uncharted 2
10/22 FIFA 10
10/29 Bayonetta
10/29 Tekken 6
11/05 3D Dot Game Heroes

Chris1964 said:

I think Bayonetta might, also what is WKC EX and where is Pro Evo 2010?

markatisu

cw_sasuke said:
Ah, it will sell for sure - i way thinking more of potential system sellers, most people who wanted WiiFit already should own it.....i could see the same response as with wsr in regards to wii sports.

It depends though, there is also a balance board sku for WF+ so it could potentially sell to those who never got on the Wii or WF train to begin with

But generally it will probably sell assloads but not move many systems, NSMB on the other hand I think could be a big system seller

d+pad

Opiate said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the PS3 will outsell the Wii in Japan over the course of the remaining 4 months of the year.

Whoa. Anything's possible at this point, for sure, but I just don't see that happening - especially since all systems (including the DS and PSP) seem to have a hard time drawing out their bumps these days.

I have no doubt the first few weeks - even the first month - of PS3 Slim sales will be impressive in Japan, but I just don't see much that would continue to prop up those sales after that time.

The release of FF13 at the end of the year, assuming it happens, will cause a spike around that time, of course, but I don't see the bump lasting from now until then...

d+pad

farnham said:
boils down to wii fit plus and NSMB Wii

Actually, although I'm not expecting most of those third-party Wii games to sell a ton of copies, they could help hw sales for the rest of the year and beyond, esp. since nearly all of them stand out as being quite different (i.e., more 'core'-focused) from the kinds of games Nintendo itself produces/releases.

In terms of Wii Fit+ and NSMB Wii, though, I only see the latter helping hw sales. Both will sell gangbusters, of course - esp. since Wii Fit+ is going to be *cheap* - but I just don't see how Wii Fit+ will push hardware at all...

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 7.1 / 92.9 make this the most Wii-tilted week ever. This brings total shares to 28.0 / 72.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 2,503.1 weeks (August 13, 2057).

This cracked me up! :lol :lol :lol

Road

I was looking on Garaph and 360's lowest week is 2008-09-01 with 843 units (Famitsu).

Wonder if the PS3 can beat this record this week.

The following week is, also, a contender for the biggest weekly increase ever (in percentage).

ReyBrujo

cvxfreak said:
I thought so too, but then that beckons the question: why didn't last week's buyers buy Platinum instead?
I would say saturation first and foremost (8 million Pokemon games based on virtually the same code base?), then price and new Pokemon games in two weeks.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anasui Kishibe said:
cool your jets choirboys, chap had minor injuries
Amazing that the guy survived getting hit by a truck (or what it is) like that i must say. Good to hear that he survived though :)

Chris1964 said:
Media Create
Wii YTD: 931.284
PS3 YTD: 651.441
Difference: 279.843
I am not sure how many sales weeks that are left of 2009, but assuming that there are 17 weeks left (we are now in week 35 at least), does this means that the PS3 must sell in average about 16,500 consoles more than the Wii each week for the rest of the year to be able to have the same YTD that the Wii will have?

vicissitudes said:
This cracked me up! :lol :lol :lol
Next week, assuming that the PS3 sales are around 1000 units sold, then the PS3 would probably catch up to the Wii in the year 2100 or something :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AranhaHunter said:
I think Graces is next year...

I think they've said "Winter 2009" but I agree that it is probably likely to get pushed back. And honestly, that wouldn't be a horrible thing for the Wii market- there are actually 3-4 relatively high profile 3rd party games coming in Nov-Dec (not to mention NSMB Wii) and I think Graces would be a a welcome change from last year's Q1 lineup which was atrocious.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Freaky-deaky Tomodachi Collection increased its weekly sales AGAIN and AGAIN. This last holiday-bumped week was its biggest yet.

In its sixth week Dragon Quest IX not only continues outpacing Dragon Quest VIII, but has outsold the initial release altogether! Should take another week or two to additionally outdo what DQ VIII sold in Best form. Though not pictured here, it's worth noting that as of week six Dragon Quest IX is back ahead of Dragon Quest VII: 3.62 M to 3.57 M. Thanks to Chris1964 for keeping up with that stat in particular.
IX

Monster Hunter 3's first week put it ahead of the initial PS2 release of Monster Hunter 2. The second week put it ahead of PS2 MH2 combined with its Best release. The third week is just gravy.
MH3+Wii

Tales of Versus isn't off to a bad start for a modern Tales game, but it's not quite matching up to this year's first PSP Tales hit, either.
Versus

Continuing the comparison of decently successful Puyo games from a few weeks back, it looks like DS's Puyo Puyo 7 is behaving a lot like PS2's Puyo Puyo Fever.
DS+7

Tingle's second outing doesn't start off as well as his first.
Balloon+Trip

Top Bottom