• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 3 - 9, 2009

cvxfreak

Media Create Aug 3-9

PS2SDGunGGenWars.jpg
WIIMH3.jpg
NDSDQIX.jpg
PSPTalesVS.jpg
NDSFriendColl.jpg

01./00. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai) - 175,304 / NEW
02./01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 137,093 / 657,000 (-74%)
03./02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 135,649 / 3,517,000 (-24%)
04./00. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai) - 133,076 / NEW
05./03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 91,502 / 602,000 (+11%)
06./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 73,089 / 902,000 (+12%)
07./00. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Namco Bandai) - 51,740 / NEW
08./00. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai) - 35,084 / NEW
09./00. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 33,498 / NEW
10./00. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 33,378 / NEW

11./00. [360] Magna Carta 2 (Namco Bandai)
12./00. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix)
13./05. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA)
14./11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
15./00. [WII] EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer Wii: 30-Day Lifestyle Reform Program (Electronic Arts Victor)
16./09. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo)
17./12. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami)
18./08. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software)
19./00. [NDS] Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer (SEGA)
20./14. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (My Summer Vacation 4): Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCEI)
21./15. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
22./07. [PS2] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
23./21. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
24./06. [360] Gears of War 2 (Microsoft Game Studios)
25./17. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
26./26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
27./22. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.)
28./00. [PSP] Hayari Gami 3: Keishichou Kaijiken File (Tokyo Metro Police Strange Incident File) (Nippon Ichi Software)
29./00. [PS3] Red Faction: Guerilla (Spike)
30./00. [360] Red Faction: Guerilla (Spike)
31./00. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Norinori! Character Transformation Zoom (Konami)
32./23. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X Mirai Chou Bakuhatsu!! (Future Hyper Explosion!!) (Takara Tomy)
33./34. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
34./24. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (SEGA)
35./25. [NDS] Gokuhou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
36./19. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai)
37./16. [NDS] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 4 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
38./33. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
39./36. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
40./41. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo)
41./37. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
42./40. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade (Hudson)
43./35. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
44./44. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Pokemon Co.)
45./43. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
46./38. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)
47./30. [WII] Dragon Ball: Tenkaichi Daibouken (Revenge of King Piccolo) (Namco Bandai)
48./42. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (ULTIMATE) (Square Enix)
49./46. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
50./13. [PS3] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore)

NDS - 23
WII - 8
PSP - 7
PS2 - 5
PS3 - 4
360 - 3

hardware.gif

Code:
|  WII  |     47,140  |     95,357  |    856,580  |   8,335,557  |
|  PSP  |     33,893  |     33,049  |  1,342,699  |  12,700,802  |
|  PS3  |      5,826  |      8,760  |    643,445  |   3,265,913  |
|  360  |      5,436  |      3,552  |    254,012  |   1,083,449  |
|  PS2  |      4,601  |      3,617  |    154,576  |  21,554,105  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     70,066  |     73,710  |  1,849,810  |   3,081,169  |
|  DSL  |      8,699  |     12,027  |    353,159  |  17,655,964  |
------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Media-Create Threads
2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009

Media Create Sales: 07/27 - 08/02
Media Create Sales: 07/20 - 07/26
Media Create Sales: 07/13 - 07/19
Media Create Sales: 07/06 - 07/12

mbnmac

Neo Member
So, chances of MH3 making a million?

could get there eventually..

And WSR/DQ IX looking healthy.

sucks for Blood of Bahamut, and I didn't know Kamen rider was still kinda big in Japan

Neil

3.5 million already for DQ9...
PSP is definitely the platform to release Tales games on, it seems!
I wonder if we will ever get a flagship PSP title...

duckroll

Unless Tales of Graces does very, very well (it could) I think it's very likely that Tales Studio will take the PSP very seriously in the future.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
There's once again discrepancies between MC and Famitsu. That Tales of VS. number puts it right below ToS: DotNW launch numbers, they don't even really tell us if they're under tracking MH3 or not. There's also a ~20k difference for SD Gundam.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Unless Tales of Graces does very, very well (it could) I think it's very likely that Tales Studio will take the PSP very seriously in the future.

Apparently, Tales of Versus was also outsourced - to Matrix Software -

Acosta

As expected, MH3 won't touch the popularity of the series in portables, but it has got a nice push of popularity since PS2 days. I pretty much expect a new MH for PSP announcement in this TGS.

near

Gold Member
So in the first two days MH3 sold 520,138. In the 7 days that followed it only sold 137,000. This doesn't look too good for that initial shipment. Legs? I doubt it.

duckroll

Wow, Tales of VS is also Matrix's first and only PSP game. I wonder how they landed that contract with Namco.

jj984jj said:
Maybe Alfa is making RM3?

That didn't stop Alfa from making Tales of Innocence on the DS though.

But Tales of VS is not a rpg, is a fighting game.

Taking in consideration that Tales characters are not as known as Final Fantasy characters, it's normal to have lower sales than any Tales RPG or Dissidia.

Vagabundo

Near said:
So in the first two days MH3 sold 520,138. In the 7 days that followed it only sold 137,000. This doesn't look too good for that initial shipment. Legs? I doubt it.

There must have been a decent amount of hype demand for the bundles. So fans of the series took the plunge. The standalone didn't sell too well, which says the current Wii fanbase arn't interested - at the moment - still it could be a slow burner and even grow the fan base. It does have cool box art.

I think it could hobble along for quite some time.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
duckroll said:
I think that although Graces will not do as good as the PSP spinoffs in Japan, it has a chance to sell better worldwide on the Wii than on the PSP...

Kind of the same audience that bought Symphonia on the GCN (best selling Tales game ever), and I've seen many people buying the sequel on the Wii (I read somewhere it sold as well as Vesperia).

duckroll

manueldelalas said:
I think that although Graces will not do as good as the PSP spinoffs in Japan, it has a chance to sell better worldwide on the Wii than on the PSP...

Kind of the same audience that bought Symphonia on the GCN (best selling Tales game ever), and I've seen many people buying the sequel on the Wii (I read somewhere it sold as well as Vesperia).

Tales games in the US now do about 50-100k at best. Symphonia's sales won't ever happen again.

Are those Magna Carta II sales good, or bad?

Its below 33,000 regardless so for a console thats had a lot of JRPG love, and therefore the fanbase, I think those sales are quite low.

duckroll

Galvanise_ said:

Its below 33,000 regardless so for a console thats had a lot of JRPG love, and therefore the fanbase, I think those sales are quite low.

It's a shitty sequel to a shitty game. Who gives a fuck?

CoolS

duckroll said:
Tales games in the US now do about 50-100k at best. Symphonia's sales won't ever happen again.
So can someone explain to me, WHY Symphonia sold that much? I really don't get it .

Galvanise_ said:

expectedly shit.

duckroll

CoolS said:
So can someone explain to me, WHY Symphonia sold that much? I really don't get it .

Really lucky timing. It was the first 3D Tales, on a RPG starved Nintendo console, with a decent push supported by Nintendo.

jj984jj said:
MS once again has discrepancies between MC and Famitsu. That Tales of VS. number puts it right below ToS: DotNW launch numbers, they don't even really tell us if they're under track MH3 or not. There's also a ~20k difference for SD Gundam.

It depends largely on the statistics methodology used and extrapolations from Famitsu and Media Create.

If we take MH3 as example and considering shipments (if the sold games estimations were calculated by percentages) :

- If shipment of MH3 from Capcom was around 1 050 000 according to Famitsu, a 68,6% sell-rate represents 720 000 games sold.

- If shipment of MH3 from Capcom was around 950 000 according to Media Create, a 69,2% sell-rate represents 657 000 games sold .

So a difference of 0,6% is excellent for this very large numbers...

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
duckroll said:
Anyone knows the sales numbers of DotNW in the USA? I thought it passed Vesperia numbers. That must show a big tales fanbase in the US; if the shitty game sells more than the good one...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
Really lucky timing. It was the first 3D Tales, on a RPG starved Nintendo console, with a decent push supported by Nintendo.

And it was a pretty awesome game ;-)
But i think Nintendo publishing it helped the most.

duckroll

manueldelalas said:
Anyone knows the sales numbers of DotNW in the USA? I thought it passed Vesperia numbers. That must show a big tales fanbase in the US; if the shitty game sells more than the good one...

Like I said, we're taking about 100k for both titles. The difference between the two are like 10-20k at best. It's not a huge difference. :p

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Wow, Tales of VS is also Matrix's first and only PSP game. I wonder how they landed that contract with Namco.

That didn't stop Alfa from making Tales of Innocence on the DS though.

The must be doing Phantasy Star Portable 2 too

So by Media Create numbers, DQIX is now the second-highest selling DQ of all time. The MC numbers put it on a much nicer pace than the Famitsu numbers. I guess time will tell.

RpgN

Segata Sanshiro said:
So by Media Create numbers, DQIX is now the second-highest selling DQ of all time. The MC numbers put it on a much nicer pace than the Famitsu numbers. I guess time will tell.

It's selling steady too. 4 million looks within reach. They were aiming for 5 million (which is a little ridiculous) but it might manage that after a year. I don't read too much about this game, did they find a way to prevent a second hand market with it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Galvanise_ said:

Bad, for what it's worth after the little hate bomb got dropped on this thread ;). It underperformed the original bigtime (115k first week on 177k lifetime), this game has been in development FOR-EEEEEEVER--although it was inactive for most of that time, and while the 360 is a non-presence in Japan this is still well below what JRPGs have been doing on the 360.

RpgN said:
I don't read too much about this game, did they find a way to prevent a second hand market with it?

Lots and lots of post-release free downloadable content (mainly new quests, IIRC) released over a long period.

Aru

Spiegel said:
Apparently, Tales of Versus was also outsourced - to Matrix Software -

Eh ? I thought they announced that Alfa System was making it.

Since I hate Alfa System games, this is good for me.

Frillen

duckroll said:

Wasn't it a Player's Choice title as well?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RpgN said:
I don't read too much about this game, did they find a way to prevent a second hand market with it?
Unless I'm mistaken, free weekly DLC for a year.

There's also only one save slot, so sharing the cartridge doesn't work so well.

BattleMonkey said:
Kotaku, in your internets, shitting on your Monster Hunter sales: http://kotaku.com/5336507/is-monster-hunter-3-underperforming

Kotaku said:
However, when a million copies of a game are shipped, and there is a significant drop off in its second week, one can't help but think the game isn't living up to retail expectations. But those are only sales expectations, and sales expectations smells pectations. Monster Hunter 3 is doing great!

Videogame reporting at its finest.

Top Bottom