• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Aug 3 - 9, 2009

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shambles said:
Am I the only one that is blown away by the PS2 being able to place 3 titles in the top 10 and to control the number 1 spot? I know the customer base is huge but I didn't think it was that active still. Especially against MH and DQ in non first weeks.

I think it surprises a lot of people but if you actually look back, you notice two things:
1) It happens fairly often
2) The sorts of games it happens with are remarkably uniform.

Basically every single Gundam game debuts to 100k-200k on the PS2, is number 1 for the week, and then drops off. Someone who actually cares about Gundam games would probably get mad and demand that I acknowledge the wide variety of stuff involved in that category, but for me it seems pretty homogeneous.

I guess that's typical of a console that's on the way out, though. Certainly key franchises maintain a hard base that will keep buying them. I will say that it wasn't really this way in the US, though. Madden shifted to 360 very quickly, for instance.

freddy

Banned
So is Monster Hunter 3 now the best selling 3rd party console game in Japan this generation with these new numbers or will it have to wait another week?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
freddy said:
So is Monster Hunter 3 now the best selling 3rd party console game in Japan this generation with these new numbers or will it have to wait another week?

I don't think so according to Media Create, but who cares about them anyways.

schuelma said:

schuelma
(Today, 11:14 AM)
Reply | Quote

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Norinori! Chara na Rhythm (Konami)
32. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Future Hyper Explosion!! (Takara Tomy)
33. [WΙΙ] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
34. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
35. [NDS] Gokuhou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
36. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai)
37. [NDS] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 4 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
38. [ΝDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
39. [ΝDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
40. [ΝDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
41. [ΝDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo)
42. [ΝDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
43. [ΝDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
44. [ΝDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon)
45. [ΝDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
46. [ΝDS] Paul Sloan & Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)
47. [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Namco Bandai)
48. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix)
49. [ΝDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
50. [PS3] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore)
__. [ALL] Total software sales - 1.476.314 / 35.753.123

schuelma said:
Media Create may provide numbers just for the top 10 but they also give first week sales for every game that makes top 500 yearly sales. At 2008 top 500 they also provided first week shipment sell-through and (the most important) we have total software sales reported every week. These are very useful data that famitsu doesn't give.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
Media Create may provide numbers just for the top 10 but they also give first week sales for every game that makes top 500 yearly sales. At 2008 top 500 they also provided first week shipment sell-through and (the most important) we have total software sales reported every week. These are very useful data that famitsu doesn't give.

*puts hands over his ears*

I can't heaaaaarrrr youuuu

Kenka said:
You're just a bit late to sarcasm-age.

No I was bright up and early I just decided I'd at least post one more sarcastic comment in this thread. :lol

Vinci said:
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

DangerousDave said:
Not reaching the million is not the same as bombing. Don't forget that MH3 is the fastest-selling third party on Wii. Probably Capcom expected more units sold, but is still a very good number.

Enough with the logic!

pickwick

Wow @ Tomodachi that is selling better and better weeks after weeks. Probably million-seller in the following month.

Amazing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn Monster Bomba. Looks like its over for Wii core games in Japan.
I know that this is a joke, but speaking about core games for the Wii, i wonder what the 3rd party developers/publishers will do regarding the support of core games for the Wii now that Monster Hunter 3 has been released and it has sold pretty good so far. Will the 3rd party developers/publishers start to make more core games for the Wii?

Road

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu data:
Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  |  Dragon Quest VII | Dragon Quest VIII |  Dragon Quest IX  |       difference     |
|--|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|----------|-----------|
| #|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |DQIX-DQVII|DQIX-DQVIII|
|--|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|----------|-----------|
| 1|1.862.065|1.862.065|2.236.881|2.236.881|2.343.440|2.343.440|   481.375|    106.559|
| 2|1.072.286|2.934.351|  559.524|2.796.405|  602.856|2.946.296|    11.945|    149.891|
| 3|  329.317|3.263.668|  200.033|2.996.438|  271.206|3.217.502|   -46.166|    221.064|
| 4|  154.797|3.418.465|  116.731|3.113.169|  172.728|3.390.230|   -28.235|    277.061|
| 5|   83.918|3.502.383|  118.119|3.231.288|  107.000|3.497.000|    -5.383|    265.712|
| 6|   64.351|3.566.734|   95.879|3.327.167|         |         |          |           |
| 7|   43.717|3.610.451|   56.945|3.384.112|         |         |          |           |
| 8|   33.852|3.644.302|   22.175|3.406.287|         |         |          |           |
| 9|   21.429|3.665.731|   11.611|3.417.898|         |         |          |           |
|10|   18.191|3.683.923|   11.293|3.429.191|         |         |          |           |
|11|   18.360|3.702.283|    9.892|3.439.083|         |         |          |           |
|12|   13.941|3.716.224|    9.389|3.448.472|         |         |          |           |
|13|   10.541|3.726.765|    7.403|3.455.875|         |         |          |           |
|14|    8.841|3.735.606|    6.698|3.462.573|         |         |          |           |
|15|    9.147|3.744.754|    6.490|3.469.063|         |         |          |           |
|16|    8.903|3.753.657|    5.103|3.474.166|         |         |          |           |
|17|        -|        -|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|18|        -|        -|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|19|   10.769|3.784.682|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|20|   15.632|3.800.315|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|21|    5.634|3.805.949|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|22|    5.643|3.811.591|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|23|    6.190|3.817.781|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|24|    4.184|3.821.965|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|25|    4.406|3.826.371|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|26|    5.227|3.831.598|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|27|    3.848|3.835.446|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|28|    5.083|3.840.529|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
|29|    4.859|3.845.388|        -|        -|         |         |          |           |
| -|   LTD   |3.893.293|   LTD   |3.538.860|   LTD   |3.497.000|  -396.293|    -41.860|
| -|shipments|4.150.000|shipments|3.700.000|shipments|         |          |           |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next week DQ IX > DQ VIII. I think someone should start a new thread with the leaked famitsu data and add the m-create data to the OP when they become available.

Korigama

Chris1964 said:

Not good for SNKP at all. Not only did KoF 2002: Unlimited Match debut higher (rank 7, selling 19,000 units in its first week, apparently exceeding the combined first-week PS3 and 360 sales of XII at #13 and #32 respectively), but it didn't drop as fast, either ('02UM was #37 by its second week).

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
I know that this is a joke, but speaking about core games for the Wii, i wonder what the 3rd party developers/publishers will do regarding the support of core games for the Wii now that Monster Hunter 3 has been released and it has sold pretty good so far. Will the 3rd party developers/publishers start to make more core games for the Wii?
well there is FFCC Chrystal Bearers and Tales of Graces if you consider those big games.. as well as Sengoku Musou 3 and Basara 3...

schuelma

farnham said:
well there is FFCC Chrystal Bearers and Tales of Graces if you consider those big games.. as well as Sengoku Musou 3 and Basara 3...

I assume he means announcements.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm currently updating my media create database and the data I have are pretty much complete until 2007. For 2006 I have top 30 and the handheld titles of the top 50, taken from n-games (by the way where's Verplant?). For 2004 and 2005 it's basically top 10. Media Create started tracking games after 2002. In fact Jonnyram had posted a graph that showed the sales of the 10th title, starting April 2002 I think. I intend to make my Media Create database available to everyone by Christmas, since there isn't anyone public, so if any sales-age that has more data and wants to share or knows where I can find them please inform me.

Still looking for bundle/standalone breakdowns, and I've not turned up much so far. I've got these first-day sales and proportions for Monster Hunter G from Enterbrain:

MHG Starter Pack - 65k / 60% sellthrough
MHG Standalone - 27k / 30% sellthrough

That would give an initial shipment of approx. 200k, with a rough 110/90k split between the different SKUs. The game went on to sell 142k that first week (again using Famitsu numbers), but I can't find a first week breakdown.

Does anyone have a similar breakdown for the Wii, CCPro and standalone SKUs for Tri, or any further breakdowns for MHG?

BTW - as for the argument that MHG required the CC and Tri doesn't, I'd suggest that the audience for the game - just from what I've picked up in discussions here and elsewhere - is more likely to look for a "trad" control scheme and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if many of them held off a purchase until they could get the bundle. Again, breakdowns of the first shipment and sell-throughs would be instructive here.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
Ye, those are games that i would concider as bigger core game titles, but i was mostly thinking of upcoming announcements. Will 3rd party developers/publishers make more core games for the Wii now that Monster Hunter 3 has been released, and now that the 3rd party developers/publishers have seen that Monster Hunter 3 sold pretty good?

schuelma said:
I assume he means announcements.
Ye, i was thinking about announcements indeed :)

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
31. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Norinori! Chara na Rhythm (Konami)
32. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Future Hyper Explosion!! (Takara Tomy)
33. [WΙΙ] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
34. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega)
35. [NDS] Gokuhou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
36. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai)
37. [NDS] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 4 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher)
38. [ΝDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
39. [ΝDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
40. [ΝDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
41. [ΝDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Nintendo)
42. [ΝDS] Metal Fight Beyblade DS (Hudson)
43. [ΝDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
44. [ΝDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon)
45. [ΝDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: The 7 Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
46. [ΝDS] Paul Sloan & Des MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)

47. [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Namco Bandai)
48. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix)
49. [ΝDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
__. [ALL] Total software sales - 1.476.314 / 35.753.123

This is so totally hahaha-worthy.

Vinci said:
Sorry, I'm not clarifying my position. I like the Joker too much to ever want him to change that expression. :lol

Come back, Heath :'(

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Ye, those are games that i would concider as bigger core game titles, but i was mostly thinking of upcoming announcements. Will 3rd party developers/publishers make more core games for the Wii now that Monster Hunter 3 has been released, and now that the 3rd party developers/publishers have seen that Monster Hunter 3 sold pretty good?
well capcom already said they will ramp up wii development

what im hoping is RE5 Wii Edition and a SFIV port..

i dont see Konami doing much since all they have left right now is Koji Pro and they will probably never develop for the wii.. (although Castlevania Rondo Remake Wii or MGS Peace Walker Wii would make at snese)

Sega recently said that they will ramp up hardcore wii development (and they should since they are making pretty much all their profits off the mario and sonic games)..

SE could reveal something after they release FFCC.. PSP ports would make sense..

Namco Bandai is already committing themselves to the Wii.. We Ski and Taiko as well as the Dragon Ball, One Piece games have sold pretty well.. and i think SRW has a chance to sell something like 100k..

schuelma

I think Wii will continue to see solid support from Capcom and Namco. Sega, who knows..haven't really done much from a Japanese market perspective.

The big question is SE. Outside of a vague promise of DQX there isn't anything high profile in the pipeline aside from Crystal Bearers, and I'm not convinced that's going to be a big success anyways.

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
I think Wii will continue to see solid support from Capcom and Namco. Sega, who knows..haven't really done much from a Japanese market perspective.

The big question is SE. Outside of a vague promise of DQX there isn't anything high profile in the pipeline aside from Crystal Bearers, and I'm not convinced that's going to be a big success anyways.

oh well but considering the fact that SE isnt doing anything at all outside of DS and PSP... i could imagine a DQS sequel or maybe DQ Monsters... something outsourced..

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
farnham said:
oh well but considering the fact that SE isnt doing anything at all outside of DS and PSP... i could imagine a DQS sequel or maybe DQ Monsters... something outsourced..
Did they cancel their HD games?

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:

what im hoping is RE5 Wii Edition and a SFIV port..

i dont see Konami doing much since all they have left right now is Koji Pro and they will probably never develop for the wii.. (although Castlevania Rondo Remake Wii or MGS Peace Walker Wii would make at snese)

Sega recently said that they will ramp up hardcore wii development (and they should since they are making pretty much all their profits off the mario and sonic games)..

SE could reveal something after they release FFCC.. PSP ports would make sense..

Namco Bandai is already committing themselves to the Wii.. We Ski and Taiko as well as the Dragon Ball, One Piece games have sold pretty well.. and i think SRW has a chance to sell something like 100k..
I think that a RE5 Wii Edition might come, but i dont know how big of a chance there is that we will see a Street Fighter 4 port to the Wii. Fighting games doesnt seem to be that popular (relatively speaking) on home consoles in Japan these days, and since SFIV already excist on the PS3 and on the Xbox 360, i guess that almost "everyone" who wanted SFIV have bought it by now. I think that a SFIV port to the Wii would have to bring something rather special/different and/or unique that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version doesnt have for people to be interested in buying SFIV again, but that is just my guess.

With RE5 Wii Edition, there the control scheme is at least quite different from the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version, so i can see that many people want to re-buy RE5 because of this. Well, the control scheme on SFIV can also be quite different though, but i dont know how big of a draw it is regarding fighting games and motion controls. I am under the impression that "standard controllers" (or what i shall say) are more prefered in general when it comes to fighting games.

About the other game companies that you mentioned, i think that this sounds very possible. I think it should be interesting to see which Wii games 3rd party developers/publishers will announce in the time to come :)

markatisu said:
Outside of the two FF games (FFXIII and VS) what HD games would you be referring to?
Final Fantasy 14 as well i think. Other than those games, i cant think of any more games.

EDIT: It was some rumor that Star Ocean 4 would be ported to the PS3 as well. I guess that this doesnt count as a new game though since it is already released for the Xbox 360, but i guess that it can be counted as a new HD release at least (since porting a game does require some work and this work costs money). If this rumor is true that is. For all that i know, it might just be a rumor that will never happend.

Quoting myself - any ideas about this one?

Cosmonaut X said:
Still looking for bundle/standalone breakdowns, and I've not turned up much so far. I've got these first-day sales and proportions for Monster Hunter G from Enterbrain:

MHG Starter Pack - 65k / 60% sellthrough
MHG Standalone - 27k / 30% sellthrough

That would give an initial shipment of approx. 200k, with a rough 110/90k split between the different SKUs. The game went on to sell 142k that first week (again using Famitsu numbers), but I can't find a first week breakdown.

Does anyone have a similar breakdown for the Wii, CCPro and standalone SKUs for Tri, or any further breakdowns for MHG?

BTW - as for the argument that MHG required the CC and Tri doesn't, I'd suggest that the audience for the game - just from what I've picked up in discussions here and elsewhere - is more likely to look for a "trad" control scheme and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if many of them held off a purchase until they could get the bundle. Again, breakdowns of the first shipment and sell-throughs would be instructive here.

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:
Quoting myself - any ideas about this one?

We were never really given the breakdown

for MHG Wii Sinobi broke down the 1st day sales and shipments (you can find it easily if you search)

For MH3 a lot of it was a guessing game, not sure anybody has actual valid breakdowns for each SKU

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
markatisu said:
Outside of the two FF games (FFXIII and VS) what HD games would you be referring to?
There's FFXIV and their farmed out games Nier and Front Mission Evolved, and that's excluding all the projects they've taken on board with their Eidos acquisition. It's not like they've got that many more games announced for the DS or PSP in comparison.

schuelma

HK-47 said:
DQ is surprising but WSR?

A few weeks ago it looked like it would keep falling. I'm slightly surprised that it is actually going up again.

Cosmonaut X said:
Dunno, unless they bought a hell of a lot of the standalone? Perhaps other retailers struck a better balance between SKUs and are able to weather the apparently weak demand for the standalone?
As we haven't seen any discount for other SKUs.

Amazing sales for DQ9, will hit 4m in a few months :D

WSR and Tomadachi Friends are selling great, I'm realy impressed with Tomadachi alot. MH3 sales are not what I expected them to be, I predicted 280k second week. I think it will make it to 1m this fall.

shykyoichi said:
As we haven't seen any discount for other SKUs.

Well, that's what I thought - the online deal and the store pic above seem to be for the standalone, and there are no reports so far of price cuts on either the CCPro bundles or the Kuro Wii bundle. Given that it is just for one chain so far, is it unreasonable to assume that they've just landed themselves with too much of the "wrong" SKU?

Jonnyram

farnham said:
That's an extremely liberal translation of what they said.
Basically it was just lip service to Nintendo, but Capcom knows what they are doing. For games that will sell in the west, they will continue with HD development. Of that, I'm sure. But for franchises which are mostly targeted at the Japanese, Wii will be the platform of choice (hence MH3 and Sengoku Basara).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jonnyram said:
That's an extremely liberal translation of what they said.
Basically it was just lip service to Nintendo, but Capcom knows what they are doing. For games that will sell in the west, they will continue with HD development. Of that, I'm sure. But for franchises which are mostly targeted at the Japanese, Wii will be the platform of choice (hence MH3 and Sengoku Basara).

They really have let the DS breeze by them though. PW and thats pretty much it after Mega Man didnt pan out well, unless I'm forgetting something substantial.

schuelma

HK-47 said:
They really have let the DS breeze by them though. PW and thats pretty much it after Mega Man didnt pan out well, unless I'm forgetting something substantial.

I was just going to post how awesome Capcom is this gen but you are absolutely right..they really have kind of dropped the ball with DS. I think part of it possibly is most of Capcom's franchises seem like they wouldn't translate graphically very well to the DS? I dunno..good point though.

markatisu

HK-47 said:

They have Phoenix Wright to make them money on the DS

Jonnyram said:

Yeah I can see this, they benefit from the combined HD sales in the West that do not exist in JP so they really have no choice but to focus on the Wii when only dealing with JP.

Tenbatsu

D.Lo said:
I don't understand why Japanese gamers can't just buy a Classic Controller Pro and the game separately - wouldn't that be cheaper now? Or retailers could bundle them.
I for one wont buy a MH3 game as a standalone. Why get a DVD box only when you can get a cool looking box bundled with a cool looking controller with the same DVD box in it for a little more?

ccbfan said:
The next hit from Capcom is going to be MHP3 and with the legs showing of MH3. Capcom's probably trying to get that out ASAP.
The next hit will be MH3 Tri G for Wii, you cant run away from that.

Grimmy

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
I think so, although if there is one lower it won't be by much.

For all the wringing of hands about slumping Wii hardware sales, there doesn't seem to have been as much comment on the parlous state of PS3 hardware. Is it just accepted now?

Ummmm i think you forget that most retailers are sold out of the PS3 after they discontinued the 80GB version.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
markatisu said:
They have Phoenix Wright to make them money on the DS

Wow, one moderately successful franchise on the best selling console in history. Really taking advantage of that fanbase.

Are you saying that one franchise, good as it may be, can be considered great support? I think one would have to question the judgment of someone that said yes.

Top Bottom