• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: CY 2015 (2014 Dec 29 - 2016 Jan 03)

I also love how this chart suddenly turns into Vita VN world around rank 700.

Yeah it's... quite something. I really wonder what all these publishers I've never heard of are gonna do with Vita kicks the bucket. Quinrose; Comfort; Future Tech Lab; Technical Group Laboratory; GN Software... even Idea Factory's Otome label. They're making up a vast amount of this top 1000 lol.

casiopao

Stabilizing isn't the right word choice because the Xenoblade series definitely has the potential to become more popular.

I mean currently it is stabilizing in Japan while growing outside of Japan.

If NX can do really well and Xeno X-2 can come out even better product, i can only see growth.^_^(GIve us moar moar moar great story and lore Takahashi.^_^)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Splatoon so far has over 307k sales for 2016 so far.
Mario Kart 8 had 335k for the entire 2015.

Considering the Wii U is dead, the holidays are unlikely to be anything to write home about for either the Wii U or Splatoon it will still outsell MK8 by considerable margins.
I still think if Nintendo does a major upgrade for Splatoon and finds some more Wii Us to sell this holiday period Splatoon has a chance for 2 million this year.

At this point we are looking for +3 million or more lifetime.

After saw how many Wii U games will be ported on 3DS, a NX Splatoon port is 99% gonna happen. If NX is a success, Splatoon NX could even outsell the Wii U version and selling ~4 million total.

Oregano

I mean currently it is stabilizing in Japan while growing outside of Japan.

If NX can do really well and Xeno X-2 can come out even better product, i can only see growth.^_^(GIve us moar moar moar great story and lore Takahashi.^_^)

I think the fact that a straightforward port sold close to a brand new entry shows that the franchise would probably be more popular on a handheld/the 3DS even if you normalised for install base.

The Wii and Wii U didn't have enough of a JRPG fantasy built up.

noshten

At this point we are looking for +3 million or more lifetime.

After saw how many Wii U games will be ported on 3DS, a NX Splatoon port is 99% gonna happen. If NX is a success, Splatoon NX could even outsell the Wii U version and selling ~4 million total.

I'm thinking a sequel rather than a Port, there is simply no point in porting Splatoon when you can implement a lot of features people wanted in the sequel(Spectator Mode, Octarians, pants, voicechat etc). I've no doubt Nintendo is already working on the SplatooNX, its a game only hampered by the miserable state of the Wii U in Japan. On the mobile/handheld NX I'd expect the SplatooNX could be one of the biggest games Nintendo announces in Japan. They should strike while the Iron is hot and announce SplatooNX for Holiday 2017 at the NX Launch. Its just one of the games which I think they would pounce on hoping to rejuvenate the Japanese market - especially with new HW being launched.

Of course they'll release a sequel, and there is no doubt about this.
But Splatoon 1 on NX would have a lot of sense, why you think it won't?

Just look at how many games on Wii U Nintendo has already annunced to port on 3DS, and even how many games are likely gonna be release on NX (Like Smash Bros 4 which is not confirmed yet but seem very likely right now), and look at how much Nintendo is supporting the game.

Nintendo saw that is still selling, and it don't want it to stop, they released a Wii U bundle, which is not much but at this point is all they can do on Wii U, that's why they will port Splatoon on NX, probabily not at launch but in the same year of NX release (2017)

I can see as NX launch line up Zelda, Smash port, and a new Monster Hunter multiplatform with 3DS. They could release Splatoon 1 NX some months after that (or maybe as a holidays game), and then release Splatoon 2 in 2018.

I meant that if you add enough good features to the NX Version it would warrant being a sequel. I do think if they launch it on the NX the maps at launch might be the same but there might be additional SP content, UI, more community building features(tournament organization, more control over ranked rotations, twitch/youtube integration), local multiplayer and most importantly Spectator Mode.

I believe in essence we agree with each other. Making the port and getting at ready as soon as the NX is launched could be irresistible from a business perspective. I'm just wondering how quickly Nintendo makes decisions on such matters, since Splatoon caught them by surprise. It was a project without a big budget(relatively to MK8/SSB) so I'm wondering what type of things they could do when investing into the NX Port. I think a straight port is a bad idea, it needs to just bring the game to the next level utilizing the new platform. If they can figure out how to get mobile Splatoon multiplayer for Japan it would be huge.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm thinking a sequel rather than a Port, there is simply no point in porting Splatoon when you can implement a lot of features people wanted in the sequel(Spectator Mode, Octarians, pants, voicechat etc). I've no doubt Nintendo is already working on the SplatooNX, its a game only hampered by the miserable state of the Wii U in Japan. On the mobile/handheld NX I'd expect the SplatooNX could be one of the biggest games Nintendo announces in Japan. They should strike while the Iron is hot and announce SplatooNX for Holiday 2017 at the NX Launch. Its just one of the games which I think they would pounce on hoping to rejuvenate the Japanese market - especially with new HW being launched.

Of course they'll release a sequel, and there is no doubt about this.
But Splatoon 1 on NX would have a lot of sense, why you think it won't?

Just look at how many games on Wii U Nintendo has already annunced to port on 3DS, and even how many games are likely gonna be release on NX (Like Smash Bros 4 which is not confirmed yet but seem very likely right now), and look at how much Nintendo is supporting the game.

Nintendo saw that is still selling, and it don't want it to stop, they released a Wii U bundle, which is not much but at this point is all they can do on Wii U, that's why they will port Splatoon on NX, probabily not at launch but in the same year of NX release (2017)

I can see as NX launch line up Zelda, Smash port, and a new Monster Hunter multiplatform with 3DS. They could release Splatoon 1 NX some months after that (or maybe as a holidays game), and then release Splatoon 2 in 2018.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Splatoon so far has over 307k sales for 2016 so far.
Mario Kart 8 had 335k for the entire 2015.

Considering the Wii U is dead, the holidays are unlikely to be anything to write home about for either the Wii U or Splatoon it will still outsell MK8 by considerable margins.
I still think if Nintendo does a major upgrade for Splatoon and finds some more Wii Us to sell this holiday period Splatoon has a chance for 2 million this year.

Splatoon's prime time has passed as software and hardware seller. It will need very big sales for 2m until December and from its weekly sales it looks highly unlikely, even being bundled.

That's still expansive compared to Freedom Wars.

FW has never been sold for 1000yen for a brand new copy, don't say bullshit

I saw Gaist Crusher 2 weeks ago in yodobashi when I bought Azure Striker pack and it was priced 1000yen or less, brand NEW copy

Gosh dang, this is fascinating.

Of course it begs the question as to how most of those smaller time publishers keep sticking around with such not great sales, but some of those totals do seems surprisingly healthy. I'll spend some serious time looking at this.

casiopao

I saw Gaist Crusher 2 weeks ago in yodobashi when I bought Azure Striker pack and it was priced 1000yen or less, brand NEW copy

Umm. I bought Gaist Crusher 2 for 1k yen like last holiday lol. I really can't see other title bombing this badly.(I guess Gyrozetter? That one i got for like 1.4k years ago lollol.)

Fisico

Did I mention new ?
No need to jump right at my throat lol.

My memory might be failing me but I it was right there dozen of copies sold in the mega bomba bins for 100 yens used. I'll check once again one of these day.

I only mentioned the game because it still sold a few thousands brand new copies this year.

Lol, so we're now talking about Splatoon making it to 2 million again alone on Wii U? It's dead, down to the deep abyssal ocean it goes with the Kraken.

casiopao

Lol, so we're now talking about Splatoon making it to 2 million again alone on Wii U? It's dead, down to the deep abyssal ocean it goes with the Kraken.

Are u ready to bet ur soul against Splatoon lol.^_^ After breaking so many records, i would suggest u not bet against our Squid Overlord lol.

noshten

Splatoon's prime time has passed as software and hardware seller. It will need very big sales for 2m until December and from its weekly sales it looks highly unlikely, even being bundled.

It will eventually get to 2 million guys.
It might not be this year but even right now conservative estimates of digital should be at the very least around 100-150k lifetime for Japan. Unless the Wii U starts doing Xbox numbers we'd be looking at around 100-150k at the very least by the end of the year - . That's putting Splatoon around 1.7-1.8 mil by the end of the year. Those additional 200-300k would be something I wouldn't put in the realm of impossible - it could be one of those games that continues to sell until the sequel comes out. There is still a ton of Japanese playing it constantly - I wouldn't be surprised that over the last year Japanese people with Wii Us spend more time in Splatoon than all other titles on the Wii U combined.

You talked for 2m until the end of the year, not LTD. The game is bundled and will keep selling low amounts for a long time.

I said that if they had enough stock and did a major upgrade for Christmas it would have a chance:

Top Bottom