• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 14-20, 2009

Lightning

Banned
As long as FFXIII tops 2 million without any re-releases I will be satisfied.

Christmas Day for me so Merry Christmas GAF, Sony and Square Enix.

NSMB Wii is doing WAY more then I expected.... just WOW is all I can say.

:D :D :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Can I make a suggestion for your Mario Chart?
The lives up in the top left corner, you should use that to track how many weeks NSMBW has been climbing the charts.

i.e. Last week it should have been Mariox2
this week Mariox3
next week Mariox4

?

That's what the lives show.

d+pad said:
It'll be very interesting to see if NSMBW will be able to attract people to Wii HW after the holidays are over. I think it will, but to what extent?

Yeah, this will be very interesting to see...let's see what happens. And after a horrid year of large year over year sales decline of wii, wii is finishing off the year very strong. It's gone from a disastrous 64% year over year decline and will probably finish somewhere a little above 30% year over year decline.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Bel Marduk said:
Is it more or does Golden Week just not help at all regardless?
Golden Week is the second biggest holiday in Japan after New Year's. Last years have proven that sales rise significantly. Even 2009 had a minimum rise.

Onesimos said:
I wonder which tracker to trust: Media Create or Famitsu?

Media create has the albatross of reporting more Gamecubes sold in Japan than Nintendo actually shipped. I don't think Famitsu has anything quite so egregious an error in their history yet. But then, the only other tracker error I can recall at the moment is the one in Europe (Chart Track in the UK, I think?) this year that boldly reported 360 hardware sales far above Wii sales and later much more quietly redacted their numbers.

But both Famitsu's and MC's numbers are just estimates in the end, so I'm not at all surprised to see such a variance from a dramatically large week-to-week change.

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
As far as I know, [Super Mario 2 USA] was first released as part of Super Mario All Stars. The first release it got on its own was Super Mario Advance, at .88m. If you are referring to its release in Japan before it got they attached the Mario brand for the US market, then I can't tell you. Numbers from that far back are pretty hard to find.

Yeah, not having the brand name and possibly being released in a non-cartridge format likely means that DDP's sales were substantially lower than any of the Marios.

(July '87, by the way, was the release date in Japan, for those who don't want to click)

Chris1964 said:
Golden Week is the second biggest holiday in Japan after New Year's. Last years have proven that sales rise significantly. Even 2009 had a minimum rise.

Being a big holiday I would've thought sales would rise higher...maybe I'm expecting too much from GW.

gkryhewy

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, this will be very interesting to see...let's see what happens. And after a horrid year of large year over year sales decline of wii, wii is finishing off the year very strong. It's gone from a disastrous 64% year over year decline and will probably finish somewhere a little above 30% year over year decline.

And *should* start showing YOY increases.

Bel Marduk said:
Please don't tell me you're talking about MH3.
Nah. I'm thinking more like Crystal Bearers. Or Mario & Sonic Winter and Taiko 2 are a few more on Wii that have decent sales, but are probably missing our expectations more than Graces.
sphinx said:
Interesting, I never thought the PSP was considered at one time a flop in Japan then made a comeback.

I asume it was the time japanese decided to go apeshit about Monster Hunter (?).
Rocksteady33 said:
I believe it was a the Monster Hunter 2/PSP 2000 combo that brought it out of the dead. Wasn't it?
Well, I don't like to get to precisely defining things like "flop", but its first years certainly weren't its best. The big change came at about the time of PSP-2000/Crisis Core. Monster Hunter fever seemed to still be stewing at this time; the first one had released to decent numbers and great legs, but it was a few more months until the second one hit in a big way.

Anyone got an updated comparsion between New Super Mario Bros DS/Wii weekly sales?

Edit: Nevermind, it's on a previous page.

So it hits 2 million. Still, how likely will it hit 4-5 million? And how does it compare to Mario Kart DS/Wii?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Golden Darkness said:
So it hits 2 million. Still, how likely will it hit 4-5 million? And how does it compare to Mario Kart DS/Wii?
4 million are a lock and 5 are not out of the question. You don't want to see the comparisons with Mario Kart DS/Wii after 3 weeks. NSMBW destroys them.

Taurus

Whoever decided it was a good idea to put Tales of Graces against New fucking Super Mario Bros Wii and Final fucking Fantasy XIII should do a seppuku.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well, at least Graces will have worldwide sales to help meet and surpass its budget.... that is assuming Namco actually does localize it (likely-ish) and assuming that they don't completely fuck it up (poor Europe).

Michan

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions for the Mario chart, all. :)

Chris1964 said:
01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000
02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 5.602.410
03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000
06. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000
07. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000
08. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 1.972.000
08. [SFC] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo) - / 1.770.000
09. [N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 162.111 / 1.639.921
10. [NFC] Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 1.630.000
11. [NGB] Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Nintendo) - / 1.590.000
12. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 256.431 / 964.414
13. [GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 280.610 / 789.989
Chris, I assume this is also Famitsu data? Where did you obtain this?

grandjedi6 said:
Well, at least Graces will have worldwide sales to help meet and surpass its budget.... that is assuming Namco actually does localize it (likely-ish) and assuming that they don't completely fuck it up (poor Europe).

Why - did they fuck up the DotNW localisation?

Famitsu Software Stuff

At two weeks, NSMB Wii (3803) is where DS NSMB (241) was at three weeks.

Tales of Graces starts off worse than ToS: Dawn of the New World and the PS3 Vesperia port, though it does start somewhat better than the last two new mothership releases, X360's Vesperia and DS's Hearts.
Graces

Famitsu Software Pie: Wii takes a second week on top, though DS rises to second.

Wii: 42.7
DS: 26.0
PSP: 16.0
PS3: 9.5
X360: 3.8
PS2: 2.1
Other: 0.1

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Michan said:
Chris, I assume this is also Famitsu data? Where did you obtain this?
The LTD numbers without first weeks are shipments from YSO. We don't have Famitsu numbers for these games. Everything else is Famitsu.

jcm

Do any Japanese trackers release revenue data? I assume NSMBW and FFXIII are selling for a higher ASP than previous versions, and thus their performance might look even better.

Even an RRP comparison might be interesting. NSMBW might be in the top 5 Mario games right now by revenue.

Xeke

Banned
Maybe it was wrong to assume that a console 2D mario would be less popular than a handheld considering they have always been most popular on the consoles.

Chris1964 said:
About GT5. What are the expectations for this game? My opinion is that the fall of the series will continue. Not a huge drop from GT4 but after seeing what Gran Turismo Portable did (we are talking about PSP and Japan here, where some shit games have sold much more) I don't expect it to fire up the charts. A big first week and the usual decline after that.

Even if GT5 sales will be poor, they will be more than many of the games released for Wii in the next 3 months...

Michan

Chris1964 said:
The LTD numbers without first weeks are shipments from YSO. We don't have Famitsu numbers for these games. Everything else is Famitsu.
Thanks. I've seen YSO mentioned before, but have never been able to find out what it stands for... Is there a website?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Moor-Angol said:
Even if GT5 sales will be poor, they will be more than many of the games released for Wii in the next 3 months...
So if GT5 sells more than every pathetic Q1 release Wii has, mission accomplished?

Chris1964 said:
4 million are a lock and 5 are not out of the question. You don't want to see the comparisons with Mario Kart DS/Wii after 3 weeks. NSMBW destroys them.

I was thinking more on how Wii titles fare against their DS counterparts. Namely how well did MK Wii did against MK DS in weekly sales, and will NSMB Wii having similar pacing or have a better chance of matching a large percentage of the DS version's sales.

gerg

Golden Darkness said:
I was thinking more on how Wii titles fare against their DS counterparts. Namely how well did MK Wii did against MK DS in weekly sales, and will NSMB Wii having similar pacing or have a better chance of matching a large percentage of the DS version's sales.

I think Mario Kart Wii underperformed against Mario Kart DS, whereas the inverse is true for NSMB Wii and NSMB DS.

[Nintex]

Chris1964 said:
So if GT5 sells more than every pathetic Q1 release Wii has, mission accomplished?
I still can't believe that Nintendo is again starting the year with nothing. Surely they must have something cooking for early 2010 besides Reginleiv in Japan and Endless Ocean in the US.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After 3 weeks (Famitsu)
[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 285.170 / 669.575
[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 142.711 / 951.460

Mario Kart DS LTD - 3.508.371
Mario Kart Wii LTD - 2.388.921

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gerg said:
I think Mario Kart Wii underperformed against Mario Kart DS, whereas the inverse is true for NSMB Wii and NSMB DS.

This might not be true anymore, but as of a few months ago I think mk wii was slightly ahead of mk ds

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Going with alligned weekly sales (famitsu)

After 88 weeks:
[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 12.032 / 2.388.921
[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 18.958 / 2.353.940

They are tracking almost similarly. Mario Kart Wii hasn't fallen behing Mario Kart DS yet.

Xeke

Banned
schuelma said:
This might not be true anymore, but as of a few months ago I think mk wii was slightly ahead of mk ds

Not to mention Mario Kart DS released during the holiday were the DS turned into a monster.

VerTiGo

Banned
I wouldn't knock Tales of Graces. New Super Mario Bros. and the holidays gave the Wii a massive push. I don't remember seeing that many Wii games in the top 50 ever honestly. I'm suprised Monster Hunter 3 didn't rear its head. Must've been entirely frontloaded... that's a bit of a shame.

Meier

FF13 number has to be a bit of a disappointment. Nice hardware sales for the top 3 sellers... PSP go is as big a failure as the Virtualboy.

Shiggy

perfectchaos007 said:
no it's not, Sony said PSP Go sold above their expectations!

They also said that the rumble feature of the PS3 controller had to be removed because of the motion sensor.

Michan

Meier said:
FF13 number has to be a bit of a disappointment. Nice hardware sales for the top 3 sellers... PSP go is as big a failure as the Virtualboy.
Anyone have data for Virtual Boy sales in Japan? Wikipedia says 770,000 WW LTD but I can't find a decent source for any Japanese data.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Michan said:
Anyone have data for Virtual Boy sales in Japan? Wikipedia says 770,000 WW LTD but I can't find a decent source for any Japanese data.
630.000 in Japan. I don't know if the WW number is correct.

Cygnus X-1

Right now, I really just hope that Spirit Tracks will not bomb. And by that, I mean that LTD should at least be 500k. At least.

Top Bottom