• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Happy New Year's sales agers. May 2010 be as interesting to follow as 2009 :D

Cheez-It

grandjedi6 said:
Not necessarily. You can only print so many units of a product at once. Its entirely feasible that they knew demand outstripped supply but couldn't do anything about it.

Or, that distribution establishments restricted the number they purchased... Nintendo may be partly to blame, but I doubt they are the only ones.

Sagitario

I really don't get the extensive hate the Tales franchise gets...

Yes, the milking is a little bit excessive, but as long as the main games are good [like Hearts, Graces, Vesperia], I don't see the problem...
Even the spin off aren't bad games...

The only really, really bad is Tempest... that one deserves all the hate it can get (and I can't comprehend how Namco still acknowledge it)...

matmanx1

Farore said:
I really don't get the extensive hate the Tales franchise gets...

Yes, the milking is a little bit excessive, but as long as the main games are good [like Hearts, Graces, Vesperia], I don't see the problem...
Even the spin off aren't bad games...

The only really, really bad is Tempest... that one deserves all the hate it can get (and I can't comprehend how Namco still acknowledge it)...

Me neither, but then again I'm an American and we don't get enough good Tales love over here. Vesperia came out in Autumn 08.

jay

Vinnk said:
They moved on. I did. I waited for the glut of RPGs a first-place system should get. I got Dragon Quest Swords, Obscure, and some PS2 ports.

I bought a PS3 around the time of VC. I am guessing a lot of others did too.

The moving on concept has always been strange to me. Do people tend to throw out consoles when they buy new ones? I have this gens systems but when a new PS2 game comes out that looks good (say Sakura Wars) I don't think to myself that I've moved on, I buy the game.

Rpgmonkey

matmanx1 said:
Me neither, but then again I'm an American and we don't get enough good Tales love over here. Vesperia came out in Autumn 08.

You think it'd be a good thing to get one game (but one of the very good ones) about every two years. :p

Every now and then something decent slips through the cracks unfortunately, but eh.

That said, I think Namco's going to (slightly) cut down on the number and frequency of Tales releases now, as they seem to have found a way to make money with less time and effort than they'd need to develop, market, and release 4-5 games per year, by going with an Idolmaster-like approach and releasing costume DLC every month (I think someone even mentioned they'd try that a few months ago...).

Vesperia PS3 seems to have been an experiment of the idea, but Graces picked up on it too, so I guess it was a success. Maybe they're trying to find a way that finally lets the West catch up and be on near-equal pacing in regards to the big releases, but still lets them milk the series in Japan? :lol

Effect

schuelma said:
I wonder if Galaxy 2 is going to have more 2D type parts to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Galaxy 2 is delayed now so they could rework some 2D elements into it due to NSMBW's success. They at least have to be discussing it.

apujanata

kswiston said:
What are people expecting sales-wise from Super Mario Galaxy 2? We've never had two 3D Mario games in one generation before. Part of me hopes that the much larger Wii install base, Positive word of mouth from the first Galaxy, and spillover hype from NSMB Wii (to a lesser extent) will lead to higher sales for the sequel, but you never know.
I predict SMG2 are more or less (probably less) like SMG, and going to be way less than NSMBW

Segata Sanshiro said:
Me and my buddy had a sweet snowball fight with used FFXIIIs today in Tokyo. To protect ourselves we made forts out of used copies of FFXIII.

in other words, the "stacks" have arrived.
How many used FF13 you see ? 10s ? 100s ?

Road said:
On the topic of curiosities, Tomodachi Collection has logged 28 consecutive weeks since launch without ever going below 50,000 (Famitsu).

I checked other games with ridiculous legs and the best I found was AC:WW with 20 weeks and NSMB, 19 weeks.
Very great leg. Does this mean TC can reach 4 Million (since both AC:WW & NSMBDS crossed the 5 Million) ?
Anyone played both Tomodachi Collection & Animal Crossing:WW ? Do you think TC can be considered as AC DS 2.0 (with Mii) ?

jay said:
The moving on concept has always been strange to me. Do people tend to throw out consoles when they buy new ones? I have this gens systems but when a new PS2 game comes out that looks good (say Sakura Wars) I don't think to myself that I've moved on, I buy the game.
Do you have game backlog ? If you have, you would think : Hey, I got so many PS3/X360/Wii game backlog, I probably should delay/cancel the purchase of Sakura Wars PS2.

apujanata said:
I predict SMG2 are more or less (probably less) like SMG, and going to be way less than NSMBW

Hopefully, it'll be a little bit more than Galaxy but I'm not counting on it. I think the masses just don't care for Mario in 3d, including me. I much prefer 2D, and I think the average consumer does as well.

Onesimos said:
I think you are thinking about best-selling home console game of all time, as according to this list below (it is outdated) two Pokemon games on the GameBoy sold more copies that Super Mario Bros.

Pokemon are combined titles, it's like to say Inazuma Eleven 2 is million seller while there are 2 different title which sold around 500k each other.
Any single Pokemon game has sold over 6M as Super Mario Bros. did, so in my opinion it is the best seller game of all time in Japan.
And Famitsu really made confusion with Pokemon titles, especially Blue, Red, then adding Green and then adding Pikachu to their LTD, usually they just add LTD when 2 titles are realeased on the same day, but they didn't with Green and Pikachu editions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Effect said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Galaxy 2 is delayed now so they could rework some 2D elements into it due to NSMBW's success. They at least have to be discussing it.
Well, the latest rumor about Galaxy 2's release date is that a French Wii fansite got a hold of a PAL retailer release list from Nintendo that had Endless Ocean in February, Sin & Punishment 2 in April, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on August 27th: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30319/ (There's a link through to the French site there, but my French is a bit rusty).

I'm not sure how credible the site is, but if we see an April PAL release date for Sin & Punishment 2 pop up, it seems that you might be right.

Jokeropia

Moor-Angol said:
Pokemon are combined titles, it's like to say Inazuma Eleven 2 is million seller while there are 2 different title which sold around 500k each other.
Any single Pokemon game has sold over 6M as Super Mario Bros. did, so in my opinion it is the best seller game of all time in Japan.
And Famitsu really made confusion with Pokemon titles, especially Blue, Red, then adding Green and then adding Pikachu to their LTD, usually they just add LTD when 2 titles are realeased on the same day, but they didn't with Green and Pikachu editions.
The Pokemons (Blue/Red) and Inazuma 2s are pretty much the same game though, so I think it's fair to combine them like you do with say, games with special or "limited" edition SKUs. Pokemon Green and Pikachu are a different issue though, and might be more comparable to the International version releases of FFs in Japan.

swerve

apujanata said:
Anyone played both Tomodachi Collection & Animal Crossing:WW ? Do you think TC can be considered as AC DS 2.0 (with Mii) ?

It's more like a hybrid of Nintendogs, the Mii Channel, and Tamagotchi. And lots of drugs. Anyone who wants to understand the 'Miis doing insane shit' appeal of Tomodachi Collection please watch these videos which demonstrate the key features and explain a lot about the game:

-Text-to-speech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3tBs9cYAo
http://www.youtube.com/user/ryousangatabonta#p/u/3/ypWxkmPuOxI
You give Miis personality and vocal style. You get to edit the sliders which change the speed, intonation, and pitch of each mii's voice. I think it's doubtful this gets localised because Nintendo can't do text-to-speech with the same 100% accuracy as Japanese.

-Miis doing wacky shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZThYo8pRLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7j81ojJZ1M
The game maps Mii heads onto real-world photos for the news and events. These are unfailingly funny as a result of the obviously stupid image.

-Utter insanity.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ryousangatabonta#p/a/u/1/oMV2a2EP2pE
There are no words.

-And even Text-to-speech Karaoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3y4wU4Ugnk

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nirolak said:
I kind of wonder how many Gran Turismo fans already own a PS3 since it seems to be coming out so late in the generation.
given the ps3slim came out not long ago, i'd say gt5 will sell quite a few slims across the world (perhaps not so much in NA).

d+pad

swerve said:
I think it's doubtful this gets localised because Nintendo can't do text-to-speech with the same 100% accuracy as Japanese.

Oh, I hope you're wrong about this (Tomodachi Collection being localized). I want this game!! :)

schuelma

So we aren't getting any hardware till what, Monday?

:(

swerve

d+pad said:
Oh, I hope you're wrong about this (Tomodachi Collection being localized). I want this game!! :)

Well, in Japanese there are not so many different phonics, and the phonics are almost always pronounced the same (excluding slang). This is not true of English *at all* so, as with Cooking Guide, they'd have to choose to pre-record everything, which would be a huge amount of data (so a more expensive cart), for a worse product (it still couldn't do every name, and it couldn't let you alter the intonation which makes for a great deal of the fun).

Busaiku said:
The Professor Layton movie already hit theaters right?

It's a shame that it probably didn't do much at all for the series.
It might have helped it maintain its legs, but it's still performing worse than its predecessors.

I guess the mass release of all those budget puzzle games from Level 5 might have hurt it.
Still, I thought the 2 games and the movie would've helped push it beyond a million.

It's still a big release, but I wonder how the other 2 prequels will do, since they'll be coming out during the DS's final window.

Yup: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-31/japanese-box-office-december-26-27

It debut at #6 then fell to #8.

Michan

Week four of Mario domination.

1262317990-mario_311209.png

Week 3: Week 2: Week 1:

apujanata said:
How many used FF13 you see ? 10s ? 100s ?
On the shelves, about a half dozen to a dozen in most of the shops. Behind the counters... a lot. It's not an extraordinarily long game so I suspect most of them are coming back now. That said, the used copies are only going for a few hundred yen less than new, so there's clearly demand for it.

Michan

Moor-Angol said:
new Mario DS was 5,6M already on 13th Dec.
source : Famitsu
Thanks, I've updated the chart. :)
Regulus Tera said:
Needs some more Penguin Mario!

Thanks for the update. :D
Maybe I can convince somebody to give me some high-res shots of Penguin Mario in the Wii emulation thread. :)

Onesimos

Michan said:
Week four of Mario domination.

1262317990-mario_311209.png
It seems for week five, it would be double play for New Super Mario Bros. Wii as it is expected to pass the lifetime sales of both Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Land 2. Super Mario World is next.

jay

apujanata said:
Do you have game backlog ? If you have, you would think : Hey, I got so many PS3/X360/Wii game backlog, I probably should delay/cancel the purchase of Sakura Wars PS2.

Sure I have a backlog, but how does that tie directly into which console a game comes out on and the idea of moving on? If someone isn't going to buy a game if they've got one to play already it seems this should apply somewhat uniformly regardless of what console the new game is on.

I do think the reasoning that ToG didn't do well because it came out in a flurry of big games makes sense. I'm only skeptical of the idea that Wii owners threw out their Wiis and graduated to HD. Or put less absurdly, moved on.

Also having a backlog of hundreds of games doesn't ever stop me from buying a new game. It's called being good with money.

Brofist

jay said:
Sure I have a backlog, but how does that tie directly into which console a game comes out on and the idea of moving on? If someone isn't going to buy a game if they've got one to play already it seems this should apply somewhat uniformly regardless of what console the new game is on.

I do think the reasoning that ToG didn't do well because it came out in a flurry of big games makes sense. I'm only skeptical of the idea that Wii owners threw out their Wiis and graduated to HD. Or put less absurdly, moved on.

Also having a backlog of hundreds of games doesn't ever stop me from buying a new game. It's called being good with money.

Spending your money on stuff you ultimately don't use and which will depreciate in value quickly is being good with money? Remind me never to come to you for financial advice. :D

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
On the shelves, about a half dozen to a dozen in most of the shops. Behind the counters... a lot. It's not an extraordinarily long game so I suspect most of them are coming back now. That said, the used copies are only going for a few hundred yen less than new, so there's clearly demand for it.

What about used PS3 Slims? Are their numbers picking up at all?

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
Forgot to look. The stores were pretty busy and I was in the midst of a fun 1000 yen challenge.

Thanks.

And Happy New Year! Going to play some Shenmue or Shenmue II as my first game of the decade! *high five*

Brofist

Finally just got a chance to look at today's newspaper, which is packed with ads from the major electronics stores. Lot of really good deals on games and systems. Popular games are all between 1-2000 yen off at most shops.

Yamada denki is running some limited system bundles. On Jan 2nd there is a PS3 + HDMI cable + FFXIII for 30,000 yen. On Jan 3rd black Wii + D terminal cable + battery charger kit + NSMB for 20,000 yen. Jan 4 is PSP-3000 + Phantasy Star Portable 2 + Little Big Planet portable + extras for 20,000. Course you probably have to line up first thing in the morning to have a chance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nextgeneration said:
Hopefully, it'll be a little bit more than Galaxy but I'm not counting on it. I think the masses just don't care for Mario in 3d, including me. I much prefer 2D, and I think the average consumer does as well.

This is silly. A game doesnt sell 8 million copies if the masses dont like it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Happy new year eveyone! Yesterday was a long night.
Moor-Angol said:
Combining Diamond with Pearl or Inazuma Eleven 2 seems right me. Either way we don't know what they have sold seperately unless we use shipments from YSO (for every Pokemon there is) which would inflate the numbers very much.

The big problem is Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow but this is Famitsu's fault.
What Captain Smoker can change is the number for Gold/Silver/Crystal.
He should decombine Gold/Silver from Crystal as we have seperate numbers for them.

Nirolak said:
Well, the latest rumor about Galaxy 2's release date is that a French Wii fansite got a hold of a PAL retailer release list from Nintendo that had Endless Ocean in February, Sin & Punishment 2 in April, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on August 27th: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30319/ (There's a link through to the French site there, but my French is a bit rusty).

I'm not sure how credible the site is, but if we see an April PAL release date for Sin & Punishment 2 pop up, it seems that you might be right.

Release dates for Europe are often very different from Japan, even for Nintendo's big titles. Endless Ocean 2 and Sin & Punishment 2 are already out in Japan. Mario Galaxy 2 will be out before Golden Week in Japan. I don't believe Nintendo will do the same mistake with last year again.

Vinnk

jay said:

I don't throw them away, but to get my RPG fix, the Wii alone was no longer good enough for me. Just like the PS3 would not fulfill my 2D mario or Wii Sports needs. What I am saying is that I and a lot of other people are no longer starving for the next Wii RPG. I can play a PS3 RPG or a DS game or something else. I have stopped waiting for Wii to get RPG games.

Kenka

nextgeneration said:
I guess my definition of masses is different from yours. When I say masses, I'm talking upwards of 20 million +. ;)

I guess you're new to those threads. 20 M+ is extremely unlikely. Nobody has succeeded in breaking the bar during the last 14 years except Nintendo. And only three titles did so : Nintendogs, Wii Play and Wii Fit.

If you want, you can count Wii Sports as well.

According to Lascar's website, Poké Gold/Silver LTD sales are 6.09 M.

Happy new year everyone :D

In this beginning of new year, we are orphans of hardware numbers!!!

According to the top 30, Wii and DS numbers should be up when compared to last week...

Segata Sanshiro said:

Thanks for the update. I wonder if this means that FFXIII will be below 70 k next week...

oldie-newbie said:
Thanks for the update. I wonder if this means that FFXIII will be below 70 k next week...
Hard to say. Ordinarily, I'd say yes, but next week the kids get their New Year's money, and while the younger ones are probably all going for Wii/DS stuff, FFXIII is going to be the popular choice for the teens.

jay

Vinnk said:
I don't throw them away, but to get my RPG fix, the Wii alone was no longer good enough for me. Just like the PS3 would not fulfill my 2D mario or Wii Sports needs. What I am saying is that I and a lot of other people are no longer starving for the next Wii RPG. I can play a PS3 RPG or a DS game or something else. I have stopped waiting for Wii to get RPG games.

That makes sense if you look at something like Opoona. If a game is average and you're no longer tied to a single console then I'd get why you would ignore it. But if a game looks good what does it matter what console it's on? Is ToG supposed to be mediocre?

Your PS3 comparison doesn't make sense because you chose two classes of games only Nintendo makes. To follow the idea of moving on you'd have to say you won't give a shit about Little Big Planet 2 because NSMB Wii already came out.

Ultimately I don't understand why you would see things through the lens of consoles and not games. When games come out don't you just look at the games to see if they fit your taste or look interesting? It sounds like you first go through some calculation to factor in the system something is on when to me the whole point of having all the consoles is you can be entirely console agnostic.

cvxfreak said:
Going to play some Shenmue or Shenmue II as my first game of the decade! *high five*

Good man.

Vinnk

jay said:
That makes sense if you look at something like Opoona. If a game is average and you're no longer tied to a single console then I'd get why you would ignore it. But if a game looks good what does it matter what console it's on? Is ToG supposed to be mediocre?

Your PS3 comparison doesn't make sense because you chose two classes of games only Nintendo makes. To follow the idea of moving on you'd have to say you won't give a shit about Little Big Planet 2 because NSMB Wii already came out.

Ultimately I don't understand why you would see things through the lens of consoles and not games. When games come out don't you just look at the games to see if they fit your taste or look interesting? It sounds like you first go through some calculation to factor in the system something is on when to me the whole point of having all the consoles is you can be entirely console agnostic.

I am not entirely sure what you are saying. I play both Wii and PS3 (probably a bit more Wii than PS3). I started this gen as a Wii only gamer and I waited for the RPGs (my favorite genre) to hit. They Didn't. So I bought a PS3 so I could play VC. But when a Wii game I like comes out I buy that as well. What I am saying is that I am not starved for RPGs. So when Graces came out I was not desperately needing it. FFXIII was more appealing to me (but in the end I didn't buy either RPG and just got NSMBwii) And many other RPG fans have also stopped being Wii-only owners. So the argument "Shouldn't all the Wii gamers starved for an RPG have jumper on it" doesn't work so well. I think any person who call themselves serious RPG gamers have more than just a Wii. ToG looks great. I will buy it at some point.

I am not sure what you thought I was saying in my post and perhaps they were worded wrong but It is entirely because of the games that I decided to move on from only owning one system.

But this thread is really not about me, and I a, not sure why I just spent so many words defending my game preferences.

As for something useful:

Against my better judgement I decided to go shopping on New Years Day (basically the Japanese version of Black Friday). Big discounts and "door buster" sales are advertised in the paper. They list all the discount prices and deals. What was interesting is that one flyer did not list a discount price for NSMBWii at all but simply listed "in stock!" as it's main characteristic. It was full price at the store despite pretty much every other game being 10-20% off. Still sold out at a lot of places. Nintendo missed out on many kids laden with New Years money. I ask again, how was stock in the bigger cities?

mujun

jay said:

I move on. Can't really be bothered to keep a bunch of older stuff, especially when it isn't my main console. I've had pretty much every console (most of them more than one or two) but I've only got a PS3 and 360 these days.

jay

mujun said:
I move on. Can't really be bothered to keep a bunch of older stuff, especially when it isn't my main console. I've had pretty much every console (most of them more than one or two) but I've only got a PS3 and 360 these days.

That's interesting. Keeping a bunch of systems plugged in isn't what everyone does but it's hard to think of things like this if it's what you do.

Vinnk said:
I am not entirely sure what you are saying. I play both Wii and PS3 (probably a bit more Wii than PS3). I started this gen as a Wii only gamer and I waited for the RPGs (my favorite genre) to hit. They Didn't. So I bought a PS3 so I could play VC. But when a Wii game I like comes out I buy that as well. What I am saying is that I am not starved for RPGs. So when Graces came out I was not desperately needing it. FFXIII was more appealing to me (but in the end I didn't buy either RPG and just got NSMBwii) And many other RPG fans have also stopped being Wii-only owners. So the argument "Shouldn't all the Wii gamers starved for an RPG have jumper on it" doesn't work so well. I think any person who call themselves serious RPG gamers have more than just a Wii. ToG looks great. I will buy it at some point.

I am not sure what you thought I was saying in my post and perhaps they were worded wrong but It is entirely because of the games that I decided to move on from only owning one system.

But this thread is really not about me, and I a, not sure why I just spent so many words defending my game preferences.

OK, I think we are mostly saying the same thing at this point. Sorry for arguing, I just had seen the moving on thing said before and was trying to figure out exactly what it meant. By moving on it seems that you mean you weren't constrained so you bought the most appealing game, which was NSMB Wii, and if it hadn't been that likely would've been FFXIII.

I hope trying to understand why people buy what they do isn't entirely off topic in a sales thread, but I'll stop here because I'm getting annoying. :p

donny2112 said:
That list rolls up International Editions and BEST re-releases into each games total (if those sales are available), too. Even if Pokemon sales were readily available as separate SKUs, they'd probably still be combined on that chart.
I notice Final Fantasy XII's number doesn't include International Zodiac Job System, though maybe that's intentional since it's a bit more than just a rerelease.
Farore said:
Well, they did seem to create the Mothership/Escort distinction specifically to demote Tempest. :lol

BowieZ

Banned
Effect said:
Maybe Matt Casamassina has been invited over to EAD Tokyo to ensure the game locks into IGN standards of innovation, graphics, downloadable content and online multiplayer.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vinnk said:
As for something useful:

Against my better judgement I decided to go shopping on New Years Day (basically the Japanese version of Black Friday). Big discounts and "door buster" sales are advertised in the paper. They list all the discount prices and deals. What was interesting is that one flyer did not list a discount price for NSMBWii at all but simply listed "in stock!" as it's main characteristic. It was full price at the store despite pretty much every other game being 10-20% off. Still sold out at a lot of places. Nintendo missed out on many kids laden with New Years money. I ask again, how was stock in the bigger cities?
So we are looking at the first week in Japan that NSMBW had big supply problem? Without knowing I guess that stock situation in the bigger cities wouldn't be so bad since Nintendo would lead the majority of the shipments there. At least that's what the logic says. Unless they completelly ran out of copies after Christmas.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
So we are looking at the first week in Japan that NSMBW had big supply problem? Without knowing I guess that stock situation in the bigger cities wouldn't be so bad since Nintendo would lead the majority of the shipments there. At least that's what the logic says. Unless they completelly ran out of copies after Christmas.

You would think that in Japan at least Nintendo would have saved a bigger shipment for after Christmas. In N.A I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just ran out in an effort to get as many copies out there before the 25th.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BowieZ said:
Maybe Matt Casamassina has been invited over to EAD Tokyo to ensure the game locks into IGN standards of innovation, graphics, downloadable content and online multiplayer.

Maybe it'll have mii integration this time. Or maybe thats only points off for SRPGs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (07/01/10)

[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 09/01/10

[NDS] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

[PS3] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

[360] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

Top Bottom