• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

d+pad

Vinci said:
The hardware is only going to see attention from Nintendo if it comes standard in the system's box, never beyond one or two products if it comes separate. It's how they've always operated.

And yes, that means I agree with you.

It's kind of amazing when you think about it -- Nintendo basically has done this (barely supported its peripherals) since day one, yet people still buy them because the game(s) that accompany the release of those peripherals are so compelling.

Rocksteady33

d+pad said:
Yes, this. And don't misunderstand me, please--I'm not trying to troll Nintendo or anything. I'm just trying to come up with a list of Nintendo-published Wii titles that support these peripherals.

I know Wii MotionPlus is supported in the upcoming Zangeki no Reginleiv and supposedly will be supported (if not required) in Zelda Wii, but other than those titles and Wii Sports Resort, I can't think of any.

I guess I'm just sad that Nintendo doesn't make better use of such things. No one thought a BB-focused Wario Ware title would be a good idea, or a full-on platformer that apes the obstacle course mini-game in Wii Fit Plus? And no one can think of other ways to use MotionPlus than to swing weapons on Reginleiv and Zelda? Such wasted opportunity, really.

Couldn't the same be said towards the Wii Speaker, Wii Zapper and Wii Wheel? I don't really think it's their responsibility to continue to support it really, I mean if you bought Wii Sports Resort you basically got a $30 game with a $20 accessory, which is a good value in the mind of a consumer. Most people don't think "well buying Wii Sports Resort for $50 isn't going to be worth it unless I get more use out of the pack-in accessory down the road." If anything that's an added bonus. Paying premium, such as the Wii Speaker with Animal Crossing is a different story IMO, but at least Nintendo gives you the option to purchase it without it. I think if it can further expand their upcoming games in a positive way then there's no reason that companies, be it Nintendo or not, shouldn't include support for it, but I don't feel they should necessarily go out of their way or force compatability into their games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
03. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo)
04. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
05. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
08. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

I'm scared for the Wii hardware this week. haha
Either Mario Kart and Monster Hunter have doubled their sales (a little difficult to believe) or this is a slower week from the previous (which agrees with the usual trend week 51 ~ week 52 > week 1).

Comgnet had Inazuma Eleven completely sold out but still managed to enter Famitsu top 10 only below Pokemon. So maybe the shortage for NSMBW for the previous week isn't as bad as we think.

Final Fantasy XIII position is tricky. It should be a little below 100k, judging for the games above and below it.

NSMB DS had its highest sales since week 1 2008 (43.018). If the previous week
(week 52 2009) sold more than 45.740 it will have its highest sales since week 1 2007 (130.021).

I hope that the 3M sales of Wii for US December and the big December sales for Japan will stop the annoying ''rumors'' of Wii HD next year (who am I kidding, now we will have and DS HD).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh and regarding Nintendo's first half lineup, with the recent Iwata quote about the Wii Sensor being unveiled in July I think that pretty much makes Galaxy 2 sometime in April/May a lock.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
Oh and regarding Nintendo's first half lineup, with the recent Iwata quote about the Wii Sensor being unveiled in July I think that pretty much makes Galaxy 2 sometime in April/May a lock.
I think they always intended Super Mario Galaxy 2 to ride on the New Super Mario Bros. hype. To get more people interested in 3D Mario. I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario Galaxy 2 also had some sort of multiplayer component like minigames or a battle game or something.

schuelma said:
Which will get almost no one excited in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thunder Monkey said:

Maybe not, but it would still be a much bigger release than anything they released year at that time.

ksamedi

schuelma said:

Yeah you are probably right. I expect Mario to come before the sensor game as well after what Iwata said. I guess too much Mario can never be overkill.

d+pad

Thunder Monkey said:

I don't know--if they promote the title properly, it should grab some attention. Obviously not as much as NSMBW, but it is possible for them to ride the Mario wave, so to speak, and possibly sell as many copies as the original SMG.

I'm not betting on that or anything--I'm just saying it's possible :)

Also, I think if there is a 'perfect' time for them to launch SMG2 in Japan, this is it (Mar/April/May).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Thunder Monkey said:
The first one wasn't huge there, but sold reasonably well.

I think the second one has bigger chances of success, though, if they advertise it mentioning NSMBWii.

Onesimos

Chris1964 said:
I hope that the 3M sales of Wii for US December and the big December sales for Japan will stop the annoying ''rumors'' of Wii HD next year (who am I kidding, now we will have and DS HD).

I really do not see the point of Nintendo releasing the so-called "Wii HD" this year or next, as Wii sales are still strong, even after last year's decline. It sales have not fallen in a way to which one of its competitors has taken the hardware lead.

The Wii does not share the fate of its predecessor, the GameCube.

In speaking of sales, why do I get the impression that Media Create seems to undercount Nintendo systems much more than those from Sony and Microsoft. By comparing the Media Create and Famitsu/Enterbrain hardware numbers for the Wii and DS for Week 52, Media Create undercounted the Wii by 30,000, while the DS was undercounted by 50,000.

dolemite

Onesimos said:
In speaking of sales, why do I get the impression that Media Create seems to undercount Nintendo systems much more than those from Sony and Microsoft. By comparing the Media Create and Famitsu/Enterbrain hardware numbers for the Wii and DS for Week 52, Media Create undercounted the Wii by 30,000, while the DS was undercounted by 50,000.
It could be Famitsu that overcounted the sales though.

Onesimos said:
I really do not see the point of Nintendo releasing the so-called "Wii HD" this year or next, as Wii sales are still strong, even after last year's decline. It sales have not fallen in a way to which one of its competitors has taken the hardware lead.

The Wii does not share the fate of its predecessor, the GameCube.

Aha. And here I was wondering why some fellas were mocking you last week. No wonder now.

Onesimos said:
While Monster Hunter 3 is out of the Top 30 list, the discounted Monster Hunter Freedom Unite continues to make a presence on that list. I had to wonder what would PSP sales be like without it as it seems that it is the only PSP game that broke one million sales in Japan.
Onesimos said:
I think someone here needs to create an picture or cartoon showing a giant Mario crushing both the Xbox 360 and PS3 with his feet. It may be a good description if the rumor is true. :D
Onesimos said:
With this talk about the reliability of NPD's sales figures, I wonder why NeoGAF banned (if I am told is true) discussion about ******** (a web site that is censored here) data. On a GameSpot forum I frequented, some claim that since NPD does not report on software and hardware sales from major retailers like Walmart, its numbers are no better than those found on that site.

I would like to mention that the skepticism of NPD data may be driven by console fanboys who do not like that their favorite console is faring poor in sales in the U.S., and will question the sales numbers as an act of an unwillingness to face the truth.
Onesimos said:
By looking at the numbers, it seems that Media Create has greatly undercounted the Wii (30,823) and the NDS (50,354). I had to wonder why, as the other systems are not greatly undercounted.

Yeah, can see why now. I'll use this very paragraph to tribute you sir.

Jokeropia

Onesimos said:
Wii LTD as of December 27:

M-Create: 9,441,255
Famitsu: 9,502,029

Sometimes they diverge from each other a bit, but that usually gets rectified after a while.

mclem

[Nintex] said:
I think they always intended Super Mario Galaxy 2 to ride on the New Super Mario Bros. hype.

Is that wise? I'm sure there was some talk about making Galaxy 2 a challenge for the fans, really going crazy with the level designs; that doesn't strike me as a game that would be a good entry-point to 3D Mario

dolemite

Media Create top 10:
01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 268,000 / 2,708,000
02. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 186,000 / 2,502,000
03. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 126,000 / 418,000
04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 112,000 / 1,802,000
05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 105,000 / 1,421,000
06. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon) - 75,000 / 3,539,000
07. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 69,000 / 976,000
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 68,000 / 1,636,000
09. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 44,000 / 506,000
10. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Spirits (Level 5) - 43,000 / 602,000
link

donny2112

Famitsu Dec 14-20

01./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1,516,532 / NEW
02./01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 570,512 / 1,972,070 (+23%)
03./04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 187,920 / 2,065,023 (+94%)
04./07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 109,327 / 3,233,477 (+66%)
05./06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 103,831 / 1,164,331 (+57%)
06./14. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 84,597 / 816,356 (+97%)
07./10. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Big Adventure (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 72,532 / 184,842 (+32%)
08./11. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Devil's Flute (Level 5) - 53,229 / 488,298 (+7%)
09./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 50,041 / 1,456,794 (+68%)
10./00. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai Games) - 49,977 / NEW

11./19. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 48,365 / 131,892 (+119%)
12./08. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (SEGA) - 48,153 / 396,118 (-24%)
13./00. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: Penguin no Mondai Special (Konami) - 40,554 / NEW
14./20. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 37,795 / 120,457 (+86%)
15./13. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 29,883 / 76,021 (-35%)
16./03. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 28,220 / 145,611 (-76%)
17./12. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT PLUS (Namco Bandai Games) - 27,434 / 313,726 (-44%)
18./27. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai Games) - 25,370 / 80,934 (+89%)
19./24. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 24,143 / 5,626,553 (+56%)
20./05. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai Games) - 23,064 / 93,905 (-67%)
21./30. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 21,739 / 2,410,660 (+81%)
22./02. [WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai Games) - 21,400 / 164,709 (-85%)
23./15. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 20,918 / 181,432 (-38%)
24./29. [NDS] Stitch! DS Rhythm and Ohana Adventure (Disney Interactive Studios) - 20,434 / 53,340 (+60%)
25./00. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 20,371 / 96,704
26./00. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Ore ga Boss! Saikyou Family Taisen (Takara Tomy) - 18,177 / NEW
27./00. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 17,749 / 4,075,011
28./23. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 17,285 / 67,909 (+6%)
29./00. [NDS] Fresh PreCure! Asobi Collection (Namco Bandai Games) - 16,685 / 65,483
30./00. [NDS] Dorabase 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai Games) - 16,398 / 57,671

*. [WII] Everyone's the Star on the NHK Red-and-White Quiz Battle (Nintendo) - 5,600 / NEW

Bar Chart Dec 14-20 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-12-14

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 16-22, 2009
Nov 23-29, 2009
Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009
Dec 7-13, 2009

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking at these Famitsu numbers and then the OP, it really does seem that Phantasy Star is going along pretty well here.

donny2112 said:
Anyone mind if I do the thread this week, since it's up and I'm here?
Go for it.

Edit:

Looking at the numbers above, Phantasy Star is definitely holding up well.

dolemite said:
Media Create top 10:

link

So, 188k to 112k for the third week for FFXIII - wouldn't that be a significantly smaller drop-off when compared to FFX and FFXII?

Going by Garaph (I know - different tracker), FFX saw a dropoff of 87% in its second week, 64% in its third and 45% in its fourth. FFXII tracked similarly at 89%, 59% and 49%.

So far, FFXII has dropped off 87% in week 2 and 41% in week 3, so it seems to be holding significantly better than the previous 2, even if absolute LTD is down. Holiday bump, or will it have a slightly different sales pattern than previous installments?

Top Bottom