• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
KH: 358/2 Days also has ad hoc multiplayer but it didn't have legs different from the norm in Japan. Besides, ad hoc matters only for Japan, not America where KH sells the most. That's why I think being on the PSP is great for Japan but not elsewhere and that's why I think a Wii port would be smart.

Yeah but the PSP has a game that sold 3.5 million copies for the sole reason of having ad-hoc multi-player. It's obvious that it's big deal on the PSP.

And even if the game sells most of it's units in JP, I don't think SE will lose sleep if it can sell anywhere in the vein of MH.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah but the PSP has a game that sold 3.5 million copies for the sole reason of having ad-hoc multi-player. It's obvious that it's big deal on the PSP.

And even if the game sells most of it's units in JP, I don't think SE will lose sleep if it can sell anywhere in the vein of MH.

Yeah...I really doubt it's gonna sell like MH...

I'm not saying the game will sell badly or anything, just saying there'll be lots of potential sales lost. And it'd be more important for a game like KH than a game like Crsis Core or Dissidia.

Bel Marduk said:

I'm not saying the game will sell badly or anything, just saying there'll be lots of potential sales lost. And it'd be more important for a game like KH than a game like Crsis Core or Dissidia.
Well, there are potential sales lost anytime a system doesn't see a release of a game. I don't know that that's clear justification for porting everywhere, but that's definitely arguable as EA and Activision and other companies obviously feel porting everywhere is a good idea.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, there are potential sales lost anytime a system doesn't see a release of a game. I don't know that that's clear justification for porting everywhere, but that's definitely arguable as EA and Activision and other companies obviously feel porting everywhere is a good idea.

This is true, but this is more of a different case where the fanbase isn't necessarily on the PSP. Like ToV for example. Ported to the PS3 and sold way more than the 360. I'm seeing a similar scenario if BBS ended up getting ported.

I'll just leave it at that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bel Marduk said:

Of course it's not going to sell like MH, but I was again testifying to the degree that having the MP really helps games in Japan on the PSP. Phantasy Star Portable also benefited from it too... And again, if SE were worrying about potential sales they would make their games all on the platform with the highest install base (or on all of them). And again, there's more that goes into deciding where a game goes than just potential sales.

Bel Marduk said:
This is true, but this is more of a different case where the fanbase isn't necessarily on the PSP. Like ToV for example. Ported to the PS3 and sold way more than the 360. I'm seeing a similar scenario if BBS ended up getting ported.

I'll just leave it at that.
While admitting that Disney in general is probably more favourably received on the Wii than the PSP, I really feel strongly there's more of an audience for this game on the PSP than there is on the Wii.

In the end, I'm just leaving it as a possibility and if it ever did happen I'd hardly be surprised.

Segata Sanshiro said:
While admitting that Disney in general is probably more favourably received on the Wii than the PSP, I really feel strongly there's more of an audience for this game on the PSP than there is on the Wii.

I disagree but there's no point in arguing over it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
PSP software sales have gotten worse both in Europe and US since Crisis Core and Dissidia, though.
Do you know how 2007, 2008 and 2009 compares to eachother when it comes to numbers of PSP software releases in Europe and in USA? And which year had most big titled games releases? I then think of software releases between January and September as the graphs that you linked to shows sales data from.

I know that Crisis Core got released 25th of March 2008 in USA and 20th of June 2008 in Europe, and that Dissida got released 25th of August 2009 in USA and 4th of September 2009 in Europe, so both Crisis Core and Dissidia is counted in these graphs that you posted, but do you know which other PSP games got released in 2007, 2008 and in 2009, and how does these 3 years compare to eachother? I havnt really followed which PSP games that has been released in Europe and in USA, so i dont know :\

EDIT: I also know that Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, Gran Turismo PSP, Little Big Planet PSP and Motorstorm: Arctic Edge were released for the PSP in 2009, but these games got released after September (which the graphs that you posted shows data for). Or, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge was released later on in September 2009, so some sales data from this game is probably included in the graphs that you posted :)

EDIT 2: I fixed a typo.

EDIT 3: I just remembered that Resistance: Retribution was released in March 2009. I think that Resistance: Retribution is concidered as a relatively big-titled release for the PSP :)

jeremy1456

Nirolak said:
I was just indicating that while it would not be at the very top of the Wii third party list, there's still a fair chance it could be in the top ten with sales like that.

If my goal was to shit on the Wii, I would have ignored those titles all together, pretending they didn't exist.

I'm not sure why you're all defensive about me acknowledging surprisingly good sales for some Wii third party titles. o_O

Sigh, has GAF seriously gotten this petty and shallow they assume even a complement is an attack?

I wasn't seriously attacking your statement, I guess I just misread it and the sarcasm could not be read well through my post.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jeremy1456 said:
I wasn't seriously attacking your statement, I guess I just misread it and the sarcasm could not be read well through my post.
My bad then. It's just sadly I'm getting far too used to people seriously making statements like that. :lol

Road

At least Kurosaki Ichigo can give the final results for those predictions:

[NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 22,000
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 71,000
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 46,000
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 31,000
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 143,000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 117,000
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 61,000

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/1230746_1134.html

gkryhewy

Segata Sanshiro said:

In the US? Are you serious? This game is going to bomb so hard. Won't even come close to touching 358/2 on DS in NA.

donny2112

Famitsu Dec 7-13

01./01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 464,824 / 1,401,558 (-50%)
02./00. [WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai Games) - 143,309 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 117,391 / NEW
04./06. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 96,917 / 1,877,103 (+37%)
05./00. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai Games) - 70,841 / NEW
06./09. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 66,069 / 1,060,500 (+26%)
07./11. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 65,929 / 3,124,150 (+81%)
08./02. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (SEGA) - 63,082 / 347,965 (-78%)
09./00. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 60,517 / NEW
10./07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Big Adventure (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 55,125 / 112,310 (-4%)

11./05. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Devil's Flute (Level 5) - 49,657 / 435,069 (-41%)
12./03. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT PLUS (Namco Bandai Games) - 48,640 / 286,292 (-80%)
13./00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 46,138 / NEW
14./13. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 42,993 / 731,759 (+45%)
15./04. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 33,868 / 160,514 (-73%)
16./00. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 31,184 / NEW
17./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 29,840 / 1,406,753 (+39%)
18./00. [NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 22,357 / NEW
19./21. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 22,042 / 83,527 (+39%)
20./20. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 20,294 / 82,662 (+25%)
21./00. [NDS] Extreme Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (Spike) - 16,967 / NEW
22./08. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 16,478 / 72,267 (-70%)
23./12. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 16,281 / 50,624 (-53%)
24./24. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 15,490 / 5,602,410 (+31%)
25./18. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengo Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 14,569 / 79,151 (-31%)
26./23. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 13,901 / 350,278 (-5%)
27./27. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,436 / 55,564 (+74%)
28./10. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 12,901 / 60,370 (-73%)
29./19. [NDS] Stitch! DS Rhythm and Ohana Adventure (Disney Interactive Studios) - 12,767 / 32,906 (-37%)
30./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 12,032 / 2,388,921

Bar Chart Dec 7-13 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-12-07

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 9-15, 2009
Nov 16-22, 2009
Nov 23-29, 2009
Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

donny2112

gkrykewy said:
In the US? Are you serious?

I sort of get the feeling that Segata Sanshiro is talking about Japan there.

gkrykewy said:
Won't even come close to touching 358/2 on DS in NA.

Very much the case. Dissidia way underperformed Crisis Core, and general PSP software trends show that this probably isn't an isolated incident.

KH fans will follow the series wherever it went, I personally think a console version of the PSP one would destroy the handheld version in sales outside of Japan with these 'lifer' KH fans (who would be buying regardless anyway) so you've got those sales and then ON TOP of that the Wii offers the supposed 'younger or casual' thing, who knows what they'd do but obviously Disney think its a good home for their brand.

It just doesn't make any sense to me why a Wii version isn't even considered. And a very frustraiting aspect of the whole Wii and 3rd party baffling dance.

They're either really dumb, lazy, or someones pulling some strings somewhere getting what they want. Nintendo need to be more aggressive with this stuff. >_> Surely they're in a powerful enough position to do some.... persuading.

Onesimos

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Dec 7-13

01./01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 464,824 / 1,401,558 (-50%)
02./00. [WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai Games) - 143,309 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 117,391 / NEW
04./06. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 96,917 / 1,877,103 (+37%)
05./00. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai Games) - 70,841 / NEW
06./09. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 66,069 / 1,060,500 (+26%)
07./11. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 65,929 / 3,124,150 (+81%)
08./02. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (SEGA) - 63,082 / 347,965 (-78%)
09./00. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 60,517 / NEW
10./07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Big Adventure (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 55,125 / 112,310 (-4%)

Comparing with Dec-14-20:

01/00 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix)
02/01 [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
03/04 [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
04/07 [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon)
05/06 [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
06/14 [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
07/10 [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu’s Great Adventure (Pokemon)
08/11 [NDS] Professor Layton and the Devil’s Flute (Level 5)
09/17 [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
10/00 [PSP] Queen’s Blade: Spiral Chaos (Bandai-Namco)

Tales of Graces, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Nauto, and Phantasy Star Portable 2 all dropped from the Top Ten list. Most of these game with the exception of Phantasy Star dropped after one week. Three games that previously charted the Top 10 have returned to the list with Wii Sports Resort making the biggest jump (eight spots) from #17 last week.

Will Final Fantasy XIII hold its #1 spot next week or will New Super Mario Bros. Wii reclaim it? What about Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks which went on sale (December 23rd) in Japan yesterday?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Onesimos said:
Will Final Fantasy XIII hold its #1 spot next week or will New Super Mario Bros. Wii reclaim it? What about Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks which went on sale (December 23rd) in Japan yesterday?

Umm no..unless NSMB Wii is out of stock, it will easily be #1.

jeremy1456

Onesimos said:

Not a chance.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Conrad Link said:
Companies really are missing out not at least making Wii versions of their PSP stuff. Especially the big stuff like SE's. It really makes me wonder if even developers are 'fanboys' sometimes, wanting stuff to stay only on Sony or whoever. :/

You know there are heaps of people who are turned off handheld stuff that would lap up a console version.
I'm surprised we haven't seen more PSP and PS2 -> Wii ports.

Especially with regards to some atlus and NI titles.

Bel Marduk said:
Huh? Overall the Wii has 43+ third party million sellers. It's a KH game too so it's not like it wouldn't sell good numbers on the Wii.

But...I think letting it sell on the PSP first would be smarter. Since a Wii port would kill a lot of sales in the West where the PSP isn't doing so hot...

Plus, since the IP owner is Disney, if they find that the Wii would be an attractive option for a port, I don't see why they couldn't do it.

Source?

Anyways, I think it's funny that you keep asking for KH to be ported to the Wii, let me ask you a question, do you also think DQX should have a simultaneous PSP/Wii release (if not moved to the DS) or TOG should be ported to PSP or PS3? I mean as you say a PSP - Wii port is probably not expensive (I'm not 100% sure this is true either, anyone got a link saying this?). I have a hard time seeing DQX selling more on Wii than PSP if it got a simultaneous release, so why not ask for that as well? I think if you really wanna play KH BBS buy a PSP....or you can wait for a port that may or may never come.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There is a possibility Media Create gives us software top 50 and hardware today, since tomorrow it's Christmas. It has happened before.

VegaShinra

Chris1964 said:
There is a possibility Media Create gives us software top 50 and hardware today, since tomorrow it's Christmas. It has happened before.
Don't we usually have the software by now, though? If we get the software/hardware sales figures, it won't be for a few more hours, right?

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Donny, #30 on your chart should be MK Wii. :)

Thank you. I must've only copied 1-29 from the website and left #30 from last week. It's updated, now. :)

AranhaHunter said:
do you also think DQX should have a simultaneous PSP/Wii release (if not moved to the DS)

I'm not who you asked, but ...

DQ hasn't been a multi-platform title since #1 or #2, IIRC.

AranhaHunter said:
TOG should be ported to PSP or PS3?

PSP, definitely. PS3, maybe depending on how much work it'd be (and the result) to upscale the assets.

AranhaHunter said:
I have a hard time seeing DQX selling more on Wii than PSP if it got a simultaneous release,

It won't happen, but even if it did, the Wii version would sell a ton more, in my opinion. The biggest Nintendo software and Dragon Quest both share the "everyone" demographic very well. :p

KtSlime

Bel Marduk said:
Huh? Overall the Wii has 43+ third party million sellers. It's a KH game too so it's not like it wouldn't sell good numbers on the Wii.

But...I think letting it sell on the PSP first would be smarter. Since a Wii port would kill a lot of sales in the West where the PSP isn't doing so hot...

Plus, since the IP owner is Disney, if they find that the Wii would be an attractive option for a port, I don't see why they couldn't do it.

I hope you mean world wide, because that is simply not true for Japan. Currently the Wii has 0 third party million sellers, with Monster Hunter Tri being the closest to a million. We should stick to Japanese sales, being that is the intension of this thread.

duckroll

Almost everything big is a worldwide selling series. This is a Media Create thread. If worldwide is so important to KH, why does KH Coded even exist then?

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Do you know how 2007, 2008 and 2009 compares to eachother when it comes to numbers of PSP software releases in Europe and in USA?
It's not relevant to the point I was making, but I'm sure you could find some lists on the Internet if you're interested.

duckroll said:
Almost everything big is a worldwide selling series. This is a Media Create thread. If worldwide is so important to KH, why does KH Coded even exist then?

Coded is likely to come over though. But if you say so...

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It's not relevant to the point I was making, but I'm sure you could find some lists on the Internet if you're interested.
Oh, then i must have missunderstood your point, i am sorry :\ What point did you make? I understood your point as to show that the PSP software sales in Europe and in USA had gotten worse in January to September in 2009 compared to January to September in 2008 (and maybe in the same time period in 2007 as well). That is why i asked if you knew how many games and how many big-titled releases that had come out in each year, because big-titled games in general probably has a chance to sell more than games that are less "big-titled" (or what i shall say) :)

If January to September in 2007 and/or 2008 had more PSP game relases and more big-titled games releases compared to January to September in 2009, then this might be why the PSP software sales have gone down in 2009. But if this wasnt the point that you were making, then i missunderstood, sorry :\

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
Coded is likely to come over though. But if you say so...

I'm not saying it isn't, but it's been running for ages in Japan, so obviously that's their primary target for the game. Birth by Sleep is also going to hit Japan before a date is even announced for the rest of the world. While the worldwide sales of a KH game are certainly important to the company in the long run, I don't think it alone dictates any sort of hardware decision or game design ideas. It's obviously a series developed in Japan by Japanese who think of how to please the Japanese audience first and foremost. If not KH2 would not have been developed in such a way where it had to be censored for the western audience.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Oh, then i must have missunderstood your point, i am sorry :\ What point did you make?
The western PSP market is less receptive to games now than it was 1-2 years ago. What the reason for that is doesn't really matter, because if there were fewer games released, the reason for there being fewer games was that the previously released games didn't sell enough. Low sales -> less releases -> less interest from the userbase -> less sales. It's a vicious circle, which in this case started with low sales. (As PSP had great support out of the gates.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
The western PSP market is less receptive to games now than it was 1-2 years ago. What the reason for that is doesn't really matter, because if there were fewer games released, the reason for there being fewer games was that the previously released games didn't sell enough. Low sales -> less releases -> less interest from the userbase -> less sales. It's a vicious circle, which in this case started with low sales. (As PSP had great support out of the gates.)
Do you know why the reason for that the western PSP market is less receptive to games now compared to 1-2 years ago? It is a question that i havnt thought much about before.

By the way, if your point is that the PSP software sales has gone down in 2009 compared to in 2008 and that the western PSP market is less receptive to games now compared to how it was like 1-2 years ago, isnt it then relevant to your point to ask how many PSP games that were released in 2009 compared to in 2008, to see if this is one of the reasons for lower PSP software sales in general in the western market? :) Since if there were less PSP games released in 2009 compared to in 2008, there might be a chance that the total software sale might be lower. It depends on which games that are being released though. Sometimes maybe 10 games can sell just as much as 50 other games does together, since some games might have bigger sales potential compared to other games.

I think that some PSP games can still sell decent numbers in Europe and USA if the "right games" are being released (if you know what i mean?), even if the PSP software sales in general has gone down. I guess that there is a good question when it comes to how many "right games" that will be released of the PSP in the upcoming time :)

When you say that it doesnt really matter what the reason is for lower PSP sales, in what way do you mean? Maybe it doesnt really matter in the way that if the sales are low, then the sales are low no matter what the reason(s) is, that is true, is this is what you mean? But if we talk about declining sales, then personally i think that it is interesting to know/ask why the the sales (in this case, the PSP software sales in Europe and in USA) has gone down at least :) Personally i think that in many cases it matters, or that it is interesting at least to know why sales are low or high when it comes to sales numbers. That is why i wanted to ask earlier about how many games and how many big-titled games that had been released for the PSP from January to September in 2007, 2008 and in 2009 to see if there were more releases or less releases in one of these years, because i was interested to see if this is the main reason for declining PSP sales. The vicious circle regarding the PSP games releases and sales that you mentioned is probably the reason for lower PSP software sales in general in Europe and in USA indeed, i agree :)

Did you say this about the PSP software sales in Europe and USA regarding the release of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep by the way? I saw some talk about this game earlier in this thread, but i didnt read all the posts before i saw your post, sorry.

EDIT: I am sorry for the very late edit here, but i wanted to add some text. If you want to reply to what i wrote, feel free to copy my quote(s) over to the latest Media Create thread and reply there instead, so this older Media Create thread wont be bumped. I will check in the latest Media Create thread, so i will see your reply in that thread if you reply :) If you want to reply in this thread, no problem for me, but i will reply to your reply in the latest Media Create thread :)

Top Bottom