• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 1 - 7, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
I would personally like to know who thought it would.
That's not difficult to find. Visit old Media Create threads 2-3 weeks before its release. You'll see some predictions that it could become PS3's FFVII.

Chris1964 said:
45. / 50. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
46. / 37. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
Dalthien said:
Mark down another franchise that has overtaken Final Fantasy this gen.
It's interesting to note that not only is SSBB just ahead of FFXIII for the week, but LTD as well. That is, at least with the numbers I've got in Garaph (Famitsu versions, of course) nothing is between them.
FF+XIII

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's interesting to note that not only is SSBB just ahead of FFXIII for the week, but LTD as well. That is, at least with the numbers I've got in Garaph (Famitsu versions, of course) nothing is between them.
You are right, I hadn't noticed it.

24/01/10 [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 816.198 / 1.905.800 / 42,83%

07/02/10 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.516.532 / 1.871.052 / 81,05%

FFXIII first week to LTD ratio remains over 80%.

jcm

charlequin said:
Firmly establish that overpriced hardware and anti-consumer DD software platforms are not particularly desirable from an end-user standpoint?

And yet the iphone sells zillions. I think Sony just didn't execute well, not that the DD idea is undesirable.

Somnid

Chris1964 said:
In Japan it is.

Not necessarily. Just because used games are popular and home broadband penetration isn't considered a necessity doesn't mean there aren't markets for it. For example, there's an absolute shit-ton of stuff on phones. A lot of it was marketing, and PSP Go simply didn't offer any useful features over the PSP. The entire concept would be much easier to swallow if UMDs never existed in the first place.

mollipen

oldie-newbie said:
Perhaps Sony will be more aware of consumer desires and not of what Sony wants for consumers :lol

I absolutely think there is desire for something like the PSP Go; just not at the price level it's currently at.

jcm

Chris1964 said:
In Japan it is.
If that were true, cell phone games wouldn't sell so well there, and neither would ipod touches or iphones. Sony's inability to tap the market doesn't mean the market doesn't exist.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If there is trully potential for DD only in Japan Sony should launch PSP 2 without physical drive but I'm 101% sure that this won't happen.

jcm said:
If that were true, cell phone games wouldn't sell so well there, and neither would ipod touches or iphones. Sony's inability to tap the market doesn't mean the market doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure the iphone/itouch is not nearly as popular in Japan as you think it is.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stupid search, finally I found duckroll's post.

duckroll said:
The biggest barrier for the PSP Go is how Japanese consumers view transactions, and the buying habits of consumers - in particular people who invest a lot of money into their hobbies (like core gamers). Credit cards are not popular in Japan for most purchases, it's a very cash driven economy. Along with that, gamers in particular like being able to sell games they no longer want, and also buy used games of stuff they don't need immediately. For games, recommended retail price is something which doesn't really exist beyond a concept in Japan itself. Retailers are highly competitive and price slashing is common, even at launch. Amazon Japan also has great discounts for preorders of games.

Japanese gamers are also very much into collecting stuff they like. Pre-order bonuses like soundtrack CDs and artbooks, or telephone cards go over well with fans. They like having physical copies of stuff, with nice cover artworks, bonus freebies, or limited editions. This is something PSN can never offer in the same way.

While Japanese are not against digital downloads at all, it should be understood what sort of "digital downloads" appeal to them. Pretty much every single Japanese person has a cellphone. They use many services and games on their cellphones as well. But everything they buy on their phones is not something they buy with a credit card or a point card, it is simply billed to their account and they settle it monthly. And with how their phone services work, they can access them off their phone without the need of having a wireless router, or a broadband internet connection at home or in the office. The same connect be said of how consoles and portables support digital downloads.

Now with all that in mind, let's look at what the PSP Go offers to the average Japanese gamer:

- No ability to buy games for a discounted price at your favorite retailer
- No ability to sell your games
- No ability to buy used games later at a low low price
- No pre-order bonuses
- No bonus artwork
- No limited editions
- Requires broadband connection to download large games
- Requires PSN Point card or credit card to purchase games
- Unable to borrow games from friends or play the games you might already own from a previous PSP
- More expensive than the PSP-3000
- Several major Japanese games are not available on PSN

That looks really crappy doesn't it? :lol

KH:BBS watch. Famitsu finally starts to close the gap with Media Create! By 245 units! Dengeki stills manages to make the gap bigger though! By exactly 100 units!

Deng - 15,125 (LTD: 790,989)
MCre - 14,780 (LTD: 727,938)
Fams - 15,025 (LTD: 689,694) (shipped: 716,338)

We can also do some comparisons with God Eater and Star Ocean 4 since M-Create also gave sell-through figures:

God Eater
Deng - 302,295 (shipped: 355,641)
MCre - 295,405 (shipped: 360,162)
Fams - 276,104 (shipped: 325,136)

Star Ocean 4
Fams - 84,882 (shipped: 150,882)
Deng - 74,471 (shipped: 165,491)
MCre - 72,026 (shipped: 138,538)

EDIT: now with Dengeki shipped (approx) thanks to Road post below

Vinci

Danish
AranhaHunter said:
I'm pretty sure the iphone/itouch is not nearly as popular in Japan as you think it is.

I haven't been to Japan in years, but dude, that country dug the iPod. In fact, they loved virtually anything to do with Apple. So I'd be remarkably surprised if the iPhone / iPod Touch aren't selling well over there. The Japanese really love clean design, and Apple excels to stupid levels at that.

gerg

While there may be barriers to a DD-only games system in Japan, I don't think that the PSP Go should be anyone's guide as to whether the distribution method has potential.

Kujo

I'm amazed PSPgo is selling even 1 unit a week, I don't see any reason to buy it at that price at all. Profit margin on that thing has got to be through the roof though. Also, even if it was cheaper than the 3000, there's a whole bunch of titles that aren't available from the online store.

jibblypop

Banned
swerve said:
Because Nintendo's text-to-speech works on Japanese phonemes, which simply cannot work with the unpredictability and random pronunciations of European languages, a western release would require a massive cartridge, thousands of pre-recorded lines of speech, and significant cultural revisions. And all to make an inferior product (it still wouldn't even be able to read out the player names).

I could imagine them doing an Animal Crossing type 'read letters fast' language, but this would still eliminate the singing, the news reports, etc. So it'd be a shadow of its original version.

So, don't get your hopes up.

rats. I did have my hopes up.

Well at least now I know to stop expecting it so that if it ever comes it will be a pleasant surprise instead of being disappointed because I assumed it was coming.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Feb. 1 - 7, 2010:

01 / 00 [PSP] God Eater (Bandai Namco Games) - 302,295 / NEW
02 / 01 [NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie (Square Enix) - 185,116 / 1,096,702
03 / 00 [PS3] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - International (Square Enix) - 74,471 / NEW
04 / 04 [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 60,078 / 3,266,630
05 / 05 [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 39,339 / 2,723,240
06 / 02 [PS3] End of Eternity (Sega) - 28,172 / 143,613
07 / 06 [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 27,194 / 1,610,809
08 / 00 [PSP] Pop 'n Music Portable (Konami) - 18,216 / NEW
09 / 07 [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix) - 15,125 / 790,989
10 / 11 [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom) - 13,661 / 138,543
11 / 12 [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 13,094 / 1,752,207
12 / 10 [PS3] MAG: Massive Action Game (SCE) - 12,019 / 30,073
13 / 03 [PS3] Ar tonelico III: Sekai Shuuen no Hikigane wa Shoujo no Uta ga Hajiku (Bandai Namco Games) - 10,169 / 100,096
14 / 15 [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 8,639 / 5,440,000
15 / 14 [WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom) - 8,465 / 119,591
16 / 09 [PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2 (Sega) - 8,153 / 121,591
17 / 00 [NDS] Kunio-kun no Chou Nekketsu! Daiundoukai (Arc System Works) - 7,822 / NEW
18 / 21 [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 6,500 / 2,559,000
19 / 08 [360] End of Eternity (Sega) - 6,263 / 33,082
20 / 20 [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Blizzard (Level 5) - 6,094 / ?

Other (FW/LTD):
[360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 174,000 / 220,000

Sell-through:
- [PSP] God Eater: 85%.
- [PS3] Star Ocean 4 International: 45%

Top 10 publishers in fiscal year 2009 (Apr. 2009 - Mar. 2010) and comparison to 2008 (by units, in thousands):

1. Nintendo (-670)
2. Square-Enix (+5,800)
3. Bandai Namco (-1,510)
4. Pokemon (+1,640)
5. Konami (-700)
6. Capcom (-40)
7. Level-5 (+1,120)
8. Sega (-20)
9. Sony (-260)
10. Koei (-300)

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |     50,447 |     66,544 |    508,360 | 29,473,065
PSP      |     42,238 |     45,831 |    488,383 | 13,877,775
WII      |     32,728 |     38,234 |    412,858 |  9,958,294
PS3      |     24,011 |     29,534 |    278,794 |  4,763,942
360      |     	3,191 |      4,365 |     33,695 |  1,242,350
PS2      |     	1,991 |      2,019 |     15,022 |
------------------------------------------------------------
Total    |    154,606 |    186,527 |  1,737,112	|
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/498/498480/
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/236/236914/

Jan. 25 - 31

Tiktaalik

Chris1964 said:
It sold way less from what it sold in Japan. For such a big seller and accessible genre (rhythm) I think that even Nintendo expected more.

To make matters worse Nintendo advertised this one pretty heavily as I recall. The advertisements had Beyonce in them!

It may have sold ok, but likely due to the high marketing expenses NoA probably considers it a failure (similar to what happened with Elite Beat Agents and Earthbound).

Tiktaalik

Somnid said:
According to Nintendo IR Q&A, Style Savvy doesn't seem to be doing that bad. It started really slow but has been fairly consistent seller. Apparently it picked up in the holiday season but because retailers were iffy about re-stocking due to slow initial sales they started running out of stock. Nintendo internally tracks it at about 300k in Europe and the US. Plus Nintendo's doing a new ad campaign with Beyonce showing off her new clothing line which is a downloadable in the game. I could easily see the Layton effect here.

That is pretty good because man Style Savvy, for all the sales potential that title has, was the definition of zero marketing. I've never seen Nintendo try less to support a title. It simply arrived on the shelf one day.

That ad campaign is new to me. That's something they should have had before xmas.

Certainly sounds like it could be a layton effect late seller if they're just getting around to advertising it now.

edit: Sorry to bring in the NA sales discussion. :)

KongRudi

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Fewer hardware iterations that remove critical functionality but launch at a 40% cost premium?

Well, I seem to recall that before the PSP Go launched, everyone were complaining about the UMD, it only sucked battery, and it were inconvenient, so Sony launched a Digital Download device in addition to the regular one.
While after the launch everyone bitched and complained that they couldn't use UMD's, wich they complained on before the PSP-go released.

It's dumb that the Go didn't become a success, more games would be made available for download market. And consumers would be less dependant on various stores, for getting the right pre-order bonuses.
Especially it's dumb for a device like the PSP, wich don't got much retail-space anyway, and you are dependant on ordering games via mail.

The only thing I don't like about the Go, is that it uses a multi-function port instead of a regular miniUSB. Otherwise it's great. Much better than the normal PSP.

Celine

A little bit of info for Sale-agers.
In Edge issue 22, Enix's Futami revealed that Wonder Project J for the Super Famicom sold ( to retailer likely ) 1.3 million copies.
Impressive.

jcm said:
And yet the iphone sells zillions. I think Sony just didn't execute well, not that the DD idea is undesirable.

Well, I did say "anti-consumer DD platforms." I buy digital-only software, but only from platforms that don't suck -- i.e. not the PSP Go. :lol

KongRudi said:
Well, I seem to recall that before the PSP Go launched, everyone were complaining about the UMD, it only sucked battery, and it were inconvenient, so Sony launched a Digital Download device in addition to the regular one.

This is a really, really, really stupid argument, and it has been since the very first time it was offered up.

Let me analogize this for you. Let's say you ride the bus to work every day, and it's a lousy bus service: the buses smell, and they're usually late, and otherwise the experience is kind of lousy. So you complain about the bus. This bus service sucks!

So the city announces: great news! We've eliminated bus service! Now, instead, we have a taxi service. And, sure, the taxi service is faster, and it doesn't smell. But a single taxi ride costs like $15 for a route that cost $1 for a bus ticket, and the taxi service doesn't even cover as much ground -- they won't go outside the city limits, while the bus system ran into all the nearby towns, so it turns out this taxi service actually won't take you to your job two towns over at all!

For all the things that are better about the taxis, you're still much worse off: before you had the option of the crappy bus (that still did some things the taxis didn't) or paying extra for the taxi; now your only option is the expensive taxi rides that don't even do everything the buses did before. "But you hated the buses!" someone cries. Well, no shit, they were shitty buses! But while they were a lot worse than fixing the problems with the buses, they were a lot worse than just getting rid of them for no reason. :lol

onken

Vinci said:
I haven't been to Japan in years, but dude, that country dug the iPod. In fact, they loved virtually anything to do with Apple. So I'd be remarkably surprised if the iPhone / iPod Touch aren't selling well over there. The Japanese really love clean design, and Apple excels to stupid levels at that.

It's not. You can only get it with one supplier and you have to take out a fucking extortionate contract.

duckroll

KongRudi said:
It's dumb that the Go didn't become a success, more games would be made available for download market. And consumers would be less dependant on various stores, for getting the right pre-order bonuses.

So paying full retail price for games and not getting ANY pre-order bonuses, or even any collectible packaging, is in your opinion a PLUS point? :lol

Especially it's dumb for a device like the PSP, wich don't got much retail-space anyway, and you are dependant on ordering games via mail.

The PSP doesn't get much retail-space in Japan? In what universe? :lol

Somnid

Tiktaalik said:
That is pretty good because man Style Savvy, for all the sales potential that title has, was the definition of zero marketing. I've never seen Nintendo try less to support a title. It simply arrived on the shelf one day.

That ad campaign is new to me. That's something they should have had before xmas.

Certainly sounds like it could be a layton effect late seller if they're just getting around to advertising it now.

edit: Sorry to bring in the NA sales discussion. :)

They started with a rather poor commercial and I haven't seen anything else for it (hell I even called out the gaming press because not a damn one reviewed it). They might have snuck something into girl mags but if they did it targeted pretty young in age. Otherwise the DS section of local stores have tons of Style Savvy stuff but not really anything to get people out to the store. I really hope NOA targets a little bit higher in age as it will really help sales. I think one thing Japan has done a lot better is widen the target in age groups with Girl's Mode advertising.

Mojo said:
I'm amazed PSPgo is selling even 1 unit a week, I don't see any reason to buy it at that price at all. Profit margin on that thing has got to be through the roof though. Also, even if it was cheaper than the 3000, there's a whole bunch of titles that aren't available from the online store.
Sony prices the PSP Go higher for two main reasons:
-Retailers aren't getting a cut in game profit. Most gaming hardware is sold at very little profit for retailers. Most retailers don't care because they make money selling games. With PSP Go, once it sells, that's most likely the only money a retailer will get unless they sell accessories (PSN pre-paid cards don't exactly generate much profit to retailers). Most electronic devices are marked up quite a bit so retailers get a good share of profit (like TVs and stuff). So PSP Go is definitely sold at a higher price so retailers get a decent profit margin. One reason we see varying prices for the PSP Go at times (like some places selling it for $200 in the states) is because a retailer can still profit at a lower price (unlike selling a PS3, 360, etc.). A PSP-3000 does not give a retailer much profit, but UMD games do, so that explains why it can be priced lower.

-Main reason is the PSP Go is a test platform. There's no way Sony is going to take a loss on two gaming hardware (they are losing money on every PS3 they sell) and Sony wants to see how the market will react to DD only (to help them decide how to handle PS4 and PSP2). Not everyone has internet access and not everyone may understand the concept of downloading games (its true, the general public doesn't fully understand it). If Sony saw the PSP Go becoming popular with a DD only approach, they'd most likely use the same model for PSP2. If DD does not take off, then Sony knows to stick with some physical media next gen. Also gives Sony a chance to get a DD only platform into retailers, trying to get them to accept the idea. If Sony made PSP2 as strictly DD and ran into the same issues with PSP Go (retailers not liking the idea and the general public not being ready for it), it would have been a huge financial blow to Sony. By using existing tech (like the original PSP) is much cheaper and not being successful won't hurt much financially.

Koeller(sp) himself said that PSP Go was also intended to be positioned as a premium device. Premium devices (with a higher pricetag) don't tend to sell a lot. So, I believe Sony knew what to expect regardless.

Personally, I think the PSP Go is a fantastic device (I own one). The size is perfect, having all games on a HDD is great, and not dealing with UMD slow loading (and load sounds) is really nice. I think its the best idea for a handheld yet, but it came a bit late when many publishers weren't willing to put all their UMD games as download.
KongRudi said:
While after the launch everyone bitched and complained that they couldn't use UMD's, wich they complained on before the PSP-go released.
Oh I definitely remember that.

Kujo

BoilersFan23 said:
Personally, I think the PSP Go is a fantastic device (I own one). The size is perfect, having all games on a HDD is great, and not dealing with UMD slow loading (and load sounds) is really nice. I think its the best idea for a handheld yet, but it came a bit late when many publishers weren't willing to put all their UMD games as download.
I do like the look of the device, and hope they keep that sort of design for the future. I don't get why publishers didn't put every PSP game they've made onto the service though, it's almost like free money for them.

amtentori said:
FFIII effect was already factored into PS3 sales from the very beginning. PPL always new it was coming. PPL knew what to expect.

FFIII was released for PS3 :eek:.
As for FF XIII, I imagine most people who waited for FF XIII bought a slim in the period leading up to FF XIII's launch.

KongRudi

Banned
charlequin said:
This is a really, really, really stupid argument, and it has been since the very first time it was offered up.

Let me analogize this for you. Let's say you ride the bus to work every day, and it's a lousy bus service: the buses smell, and they're usually late, and otherwise the experience is kind of lousy. So you complain about the bus. This bus service sucks!

So the city announces: great news! We've eliminated bus service! Now, instead, we have a taxi service. And, sure, the taxi service is faster, and it doesn't smell. But a single taxi ride costs like $15 for a route that cost $1 for a bus ticket, and the taxi service doesn't even cover as much ground -- they won't go outside the city limits, while the bus system ran into all the nearby towns, so it turns out this taxi service actually won't take you to your job two towns over at all!

For all the things that are better about the taxis, you're still much worse off: before you had the option of the crappy bus (that still did some things the taxis didn't) or paying extra for the taxi; now your only option is the expensive taxi rides that don't even do everything the buses did before. "But you hated the buses!" someone cries. Well, no shit, they were shitty buses! But while they were a lot worse than fixing the problems with the buses, they were a lot worse than just getting rid of them for no reason. :lol

You'r analogy would be reasonable, if Sony eliminated the UMD-option in the old PSP or stopped selling and making them, wich they didn't.
In this case they just gave you the option to use a taxi-service beside the bus-service. :-/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Celine said:
A little bit of info for Sale-agers.
In Edge issue 22, Enix's Futami revealed that Wonder Project J for the Super Famicom sold ( to retailer likely ) 1.3 million copies.
Impressive.

Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I've never seen Wonder Project J on any million seller list, so anyone who maintains one should definitely add it!

Deku

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
To make matters worse Nintendo advertised this one pretty heavily as I recall. The advertisements had Beyonce in them!

It may have sold ok, but likely due to the high marketing expenses NoA probably considers it a failure (similar to what happened with Elite Beat Agents and Earthbound).

They sitll have Beyonce under contract to continue promoting the DSi. It was a good title to pair up with the DSi launch. I don't believe they hired her just to advertise that game.

KongRudi said:
You'r analogy would be reasonable, if Sony eliminated the UMD-option in the old PSP or stopped selling and making them, wich they didn't.
In this case they just gave you the option to use a taxi-service beside the bus-service. :-/

I don't think you really understood the analogy, whose purpose was to demonstrate that your "bubububu you complained about the UMD!!!" cliche dumbness was, in fact, super mega dumb. People (in my hypothetical example) complained about the bus, too, but that didn't mean they wanted it to be removed!

KongRudi

Banned
But the buses is still going...
There's only a struggling Taxi-company for those who prefer the taxi, and don't need/or can't use the bus.
The bus dosn't need to come, when you called for a taxi, do it?

If a bus-passenger (Sgt. Killjoy) look at the crashed taxi with injured people lying around, and saying 'It's good to see the Taxi crashed', just because he is driving in the bus?
I bet every single person on the bus would scowl pretty badly towards him.
And that is why I asked him what were good about it..

All who enjoys games, should hope that the games and platforms succeeds, no matter wich delivery method they are using to get the games into consumer-hands.

Just like everyone should hope that everyone gets around safely in the traffic, in your hopeless analogy, no matter if they drive the bus or taxi.

KongRudi said:
But the buses is still going...
There's only a struggling Taxi-company for those who prefer the taxi, and don't need/or can't use the bus.
The bus dosn't need to come, when you called for a taxi, do it?

If a bus-passenger (Sgt. Killjoy) look at the crashed taxi with injured people lying around, and saying 'It's good to see the Taxi crashed', just because he is driving in the bus?
I bet every single person on the bus would scowl pretty badly towards him.
And that is why I asked him what were good about it..

All who enjoys games, should hope that the games and platforms succeeds, no matter wich delivery method they are using to get the games into consumer-hands.

Just like everyone should hope that everyone gets around safely in the traffic, in your hopeless analogy, no matter if they drive the bus or taxi.

Fine, let's simplify it.

Thing A sucks. No one likes it. (Or a few people like, but not enough to matter.)

The solution is not to offer thing B, which sucks even more.

onken

oldie-newbie said:
You are right about only one supplier and extortionate contract but you are wrong about success of Iphone...

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/12/17/japans-smartphone-market-the-iphone-is-huge-the-blackberry-and-android-arent/

Well unless we know the proportion that the "smartphone" market makes up, that doesn't really tell us anything. All I can say is I see very few people using them (though my brother-in-law has one). This was the complete reverse of how it transpired in the UK, where it was also (originally) locked to one provider with an extortionate contract, but still EVERYONE had one.

Top Bottom