• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales (Feb 7-13)

Rocket9

jett said:
Jesus, the DS has virtually killed the GBASP. Well done. :p

Correction, the new generation of handheld gaming has killed the SP. I doubt the SP would've gotten huge numbers with the PSP out and no DS or GBE in sight.

It was simply time to move on

I think another problem with the GBA SP in Japan is Nintendo hasn't dropped the GBA SP price in Japan.

Unlike in North America where the $79.99 US price point has caused GBA sales to remain static even with the DS, the GBA SP in Japan is still 9800 yen, which is ridiculous, considering you can get a PSP (standard package) in Japan for only about $80 US more.

I mean comparably, the PSP would have to be $160 in the US to get the same ratio the GBA/PSP is in Japan.

Nintendo obviously should drop the price.

Pimpwerx

Fuck you, Doug. It's got two screens man....TWO SCREENS!!! Think of the possibilities. :|

Yes...the DS is doomed. Suck it down, guys. Writing on the wall. OK...my work's done here. ;) PEACE.

Media Create said:
PSP 45,972
PS2 39,889
NDS 26,205
GBA SP 10,372
GC 4,499
GBA 573
XBX 262

Enterbrain said:
1 PlayStation Portable 52,000 802,000
2 PlayStation 2 49,000
3 Nintendo DS 30,000 1,612,000
4 GameBoy Advance SP 20,000
5 GameCube 3,400
6 GameBoy Advance 600
7 Xbox 300

These are some fairly significant discrepancies. 100% (or 50% depending) on the GBA and 25% on the PS2.

Link1110

OK, someone has to ask. What's with the weekly discrepency between the Enterbrain and Media Create numbers every week? Does one count something the other doesn't?

cvxfreak

platform title publisher this week total
1 PS2 Dragon Ball Z3 Bandai 426,896 new
2 PSP Popolocrois Monotagari: Pietoro Ouji no Bouken SCE 33,759 new
3 PS2 Shinsengumi Gunrou-den Sega 22,273 new
4 PS2 Shin Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu Spike 21,654 new
5 DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! Nintendo 18,009 109,078
6 PS2 Radiata Stories Square Enix 17,405 230,472
7 GBA Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 Banpresto 15,841 133,717
8 PS2 Another Century’s Episode Banpresto 14,827 235,676
9 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 14,766 943,817
10 GC biohazard 4 Capcom 13,491 184,124

platform this week last week 2005 total
1 PSP 45,972 48,781 362,355
2 PlayStation 2 39,889 47,963 393,137
3 Nintendo DS 26,205 29,552 305,679
4 GameBoy Advance SP 10,372 13,459 137,877
5 GameCube 4,499 6,922 52,172
6 Gameboy Advance 573 411 4,022
7 Xbox 262 388 3,300

Miburou

soundwave05 said:
I think another problem with the GBA SP in Japan is Nintendo hasn't dropped the GBA SP price in Japan.

Unlike in North America where the $79.99 US price point has caused GBA sales to remain static even with the DS, the GBA SP in Japan is still 9800 yen.

Actually, the price of the GBA SP was dropped to 9,800 Yen around the time of the DS's release. It was higher before that.

Miburou said:
Actually, the price of the GBA SP was dropped to 9,800 Yen around the time of the DS's release. It was higher before that.

Yeah. 9800 yen is still overpriced, that's like $93 US for a GBA SP versus the $79.99 US Nintendo sells them for in North America. You can get a PSP in Japan for about $188 US.

That's not even a $100 difference between the GBA SP and the PSP, its ridiculous really.

Ditto for the GameCube which is also overpriced in Japan.

Miburou

soundwave05 said:
Yeah. 9800 yen is still overpriced, that's like $93 US for a GBA SP versus the $79.99 US Nintendo sells them for in North America. You can get a PSP in Japan for about $188 US.

That's not even a $100 difference between the GBA SP and the PSP, its ridiculous really.

Ditto for the GameCube which is also overpriced in Japan.

To be precise, both the GBA's 9,800 Yen price tag and the DS's 15,000 include tax, while the PSP's 19,800 doesn't. Using xe.com, the GBA is $93 (with tax), the DS $142, and the PSP $197. Not a big difference from what you're saying, but the PSP is more than double the price of the GBA SP (and most of the sales have been of the value pack, which is even more expensive).

It's really the fact that the DS is only slightly more expensive than the GBA SP which seems to have killed its sales in Japan. But then again in Japan it doesn't seem like the price of hardware (or even software) makes much of a difference, so maybe not lowering the price of the GBA SP wasn't such a bad idea.

Tabris

CVXFREAK said:
It's said every week, but the war will be won with Pokemon. It's only a matter of time.

It was said before though.

"A pokemon RPG for gamecube? Nintendo is going to sell millions!!"

cvxfreak

Tabris said:

I think everyone who denies the impending impact of Pokemon D/P are in for a rude awakening. :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Code:
12/20-12/26  |  396,674
12/27- 1/02  |  209,522
 1/03- 1/09  |  108,561
 1/10- 1/16  |   53,527
 1/17- 1/23  |   44,608
 1/24- 1/30  |   43,226
 1/31- 2/06  |   29,552
 2/07- 2/13  |   26,205

Way to go Nintendo that's seven weeks in a row for the DS, I knew you could do it. :(

Tabris said:

This would make a nice point if Colosseum wasn't so damn halfassed. The only benefit for owning the game was getting G/S pokemon into Ru/Sa/FR/LG, but even then you couldn't trade until you spent time in that horrible, horrible, "story" mode. Then there's the fact that you couldn't have a very customizable team seeing as the only pokemon you could catch were Shadow Pokemon and they weren't all that varied, most of the focus is on legendaries or pokemon rather tough to get alone. Oh and the huge focus on trainer battles, the lack of wild pokemon means the lack of an easy way to train and even harder means of advanced training (EVs and such). And then there's no breeding center that I can remember, so you can't quite breed pokemon for IVs either. Hell it didn't even have a freaking contest mode. Oh and the graphics weren't much either for what you'd expect from a GC game, it really felt to me like not a much higher step up from the Stadium games.

But yeah I hate the idea of console versions of Pokemon or an online Pokemon game, so maybe I'm a little biased, but Colosseum definitely didn't feel much like Pokemon. Like I complain about in other threads dealing with Pokemon on consoles, the GC game didn't provide next to anything other than connectivity to drive the main principle of the games, communication. You can't exactly take your GC to school, or expect a 10 year old to go to school, or camp, or to those little conventions and expect to trade with his friends, battle, etc. The unpopularity of connectivity itself is enough to stifle that, so it's just not going to happen.

And I would be VERY surprised, as would just about every person on this forum, if the next handheld versions did not sell at all.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Awesome news!

at a 20,000 unit gap a week , it'll only take the PSP 40 weeks to draw level with the DS! :)

Speevy

Banned
btrboyev said:
can anybody explain why the numbers are so different between charts?

Because the more charts there are, the more doomed Nintendo becomes. At this rate, Nintendo will have been crushed at least 104 times by the PSP by this time next year.

DCharlie

well, if sales stay as they are now, they'd be ahead by a massive 140,000 units!

Bebpo

Banned
I think most pro-PSP people believe that PSP will maintain 50k a week, while DS will drop to like 5k and that's when PSP will catch up.

The super-pro-PSP people believe that once more PSPs hit the stores it will be 100k a week, while DS will drop to 1k per week.

The level-headed people are just glad both are selling well enough that neither company is going to abandon the hardware they just bought (as level-headed people will buy both as they are fair and objective ;P )

Acosta

I like how you keep repeating yourself in many threads. :p

It´s good for reality check ;)

Apart of individual tastes among one or other, there is a feeling that PSP is destroying portable business of Nintendo and that is not true at all. The not nomal thing is that Nintendo would have kept such numbers with a competitor as PSP.

I see it as an invitation to wait and see how evolute the software of each system.

he level-headed people are just glad both are selling well enough that neither company is going to abondon the hardware they just bought (as level-headed people will buy both as they are fair and objective ;P )

You stole my line ;) (however I don´t see myself "fair" or "objective", liking the potential of both just means that, doen´t give me a super power to opinate about things over the rest of mankind)

DCharlie

"Apart of individual tastes among one or other, there is a feeling that PSP is destroying portable business of Nintendo and that is not true at all. The not nomal thing is that Nintendo would have kept such numbers with a competitor as PSP.

I see it as an invitation to wait and see how evolute the software of each system."

exactly, nintendo are doomed at the moment, despite having twice the userbase of the PSP. Sony could/should have buried Nintendo, but simply aren't able (or willing?) to get the machines out there, but that's not Nintendo's fault.

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
Awesome news!

at a 20,000 unit gap a week , it'll only take the PSP 40 weeks to draw level with the DS! :)

Replace PSP with PS2, and DS with DC, and you get what Dreamcast fans used to say on a weekly basis - good old days.

Izzy said:
Replace PSP with PS2, and DS with DC, and you get what Dreamcast fans used to say on a weekly basis - good old days.

But you better don't forget that DS is a Nintendo handheld and there are some killer-apps in the pipe for it as well as huge common 3rd party support.

Sho Nuff

Banned
magician.gif

MAGIC 8BALL, WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR THE GENETALIA-LACKING PUPPY GAME

bombabomba2kd.jpg

IT IS SEALED!

Top Bottom