• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 25 - 31, 2010

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BlazingDarkness said:
1.5 million downloads for the demo, assuming the demo wasn't terrible, God Eater's gotta be a hit right?
Well, will Dante's Inferno be a hit?

Sorry, but it's the truth.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BlazingDarkness said:
1.5 million downloads for the demo, assuming the demo wasn't terrible, God Eater's gotta be a hit right?

Comgnet numbers were pretty insane..should at the very least be a 300K+ opening.

Baki

BlazingDarkness said:
b551ffed8ecc7a3041b3d06a14c35a05.gif

sogood.gif

farnham

Banned
Nirolak said:
So apparently not only were Nippon Ichi's profits down 97.5% this year, but now their stock price collapsed so much today that the JASDAQ actually had to freeze the stock in order to stop it from collapsing any further.

If someone was interested in buying Nippon Ichi, I imagine an announcement will be made soon, though I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested.
i believe they blame Phantom Brave Wii and Disgea DS (if those were released this year) for their financial disaster ?

wrowa

farnham said:
i believe they blame Phantom Brave Wii and Disgea DS (if those were released this year) for their financial disaster ?
They probably are going to blame everything. The only successful game they've released in 09 was Disgaea 2 PSP. Nearly everything else did not even break the 10k mark.

Dash Kappei said:
Can I just point out that from day1 you could find the game for less than 20Euros (£16.95, with an RRP of £29.99) and that just 1 month after that, pretty much every retailer slashed the price at £12.95? Only after GT5 Academy released, the price for GTPSP seems to have gotten at £17 again.
You know, there's always talk about bomba bin upping sales for Wii releases, surely we can't dismiss it this time then?

So 1.8 million is a bomba now. Good to know for future reference.

In my opinion, I don't know how they would've lost any money with PBWii at all, I mean it was an outsourced port (to System Prisma, who also did Disgaea DS), no real graphical enhancements (aside from the sprite filter?), and the extra chapter, surely such a job would've been very cheap.

I'm really curious about why even selling around 100K in Japan and NA combined is a tragedy for such an obviously cheap port? They even priced it at about full-price in Japan and it's still like $40 in Canada, and $30 in the US. Is it coming to PAL?

I'm aware that 10K is really low, but for the amount it cost to port it an all, is it that unlikely that they lost much or that they even lost anything?

Only way we'd know I guess if we had the amount it cost to make or something.

Edit: Whoops, maybe it's like 90K-100K combined, so says a certain site, but what else do we have? Anyone got the latest NPD total on PBWii?

AniHawk

Aru said:
NISE doesn't exist anymore :(

Well not in Europe. It operated/operates out of NISA at least in 2009.

Hero of Legend said:
I'm really curious about why even selling around 10K in Japan and NA combined is a tragedy for such an obviously cheap port? They even priced it at about full-price in Japan and it's still like $40 in Canada, and $30 in the US. Is it coming to PAL?

They had to pay for VA for both, and for the American versions, I'm sure they had to order Wii development/testing kits or whatever since they wouldn't have had them before.

duckroll

AniHawk said:
Do we know how much NISA/NISE lost or do we just know the entire company?

No one lost any money. Their operating profits were down 97.5% (which is pretty bad) but they didn't actually lose any money. Trading was suspended on their shares because of the falling price, but it dropped from 36200yen from the previous day's closing (Friday) to 29200yen. That's a 7000yen drop, and a 19.34% decrease, but it's not exactly cheap. There aren't a lot of N1 shares on the market anyway.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
No one lost any money. Their operating profits were down 97.5% (which is pretty bad) but they didn't actually lose any money. Trading was suspended on their shares because of the falling price, but it dropped from 36200yen from the previous day's closing (Friday) to 29200yen. That's a 7000yen drop, and a 19.34% decrease, but it's not exactly cheap. There aren't a lot of N1 shares on the market anyway.

Woops. Yeah, totally skimmed that.

AniHawk said:
They had to pay for VA for both, and for the American versions, I'm sure they had to order Wii development/testing kits or whatever since they wouldn't have had them before.

Hmm, yeah, for the extra voicework in the new chapter, and isn't it like only $2000 for a Wii dev kit? I don't remember exactly.

duckroll said:

Ah, I see now.

DiscoJer

NI didn't lose money, they just weren't that profitable. (If their profits dropped 97%, that means they still turned a slight profit).

And I don't know anything about Japanese stocks, but I have to wonder why their stock was so high ($400?) to begin with. Unless their stock market prices are higher. But that seems like a lot for a small and niche software company.

edit: beaten.

Aru

duckroll said:

They just need to stop funding/publishing Hit Maker games and they'll see more profits :p
Hit Maker needs to die

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
Hmm, yeah, for the extra voicework in the new chapter, and isn't it like only $2000 for a Wii dev kit? I don't rememeber exactly.

Yeah, but say they bought 2 of those devkits. Then you have submission to ESRB, which isn't cheap, plus the cost of VA and you're probably at around $10k or a fourth of the revenue of 10k of sales, and we're just talking the NA version. And who knows what the profit margin is for a Wii game. I can't imagine they made any money off the title.

Aru said:
Hit Maker needs to die

They sort of already are.

duckroll

Here's the thing with N1 though. If their upcoming PSP line-up bombs, they're in serious trouble. Classic Dungeon in Feb, Zettai Hero and Prinny 2 in March. I don't think they'll have anything major lined up anytime soon which has any selling power besides that. Zettai Hero is by the Disgaea team, so it means no Disgaea 4 for quite a while. If these don't sell well enough, things could get uglier for the rest of the year.

Aru

duckroll said:
Here's the thing with N1 though. If their upcoming PSP line-up bombs, they're in serious trouble. Classic Dungeon in Feb, Zettai Hero and Prinny 2 in March. I don't think they'll have anything major lined up anytime soon which has any selling power besides that. Zettai Hero is by the Disgaea team, so it means no Disgaea 4 for quite a while. If these don't sell well enough, things could get uglier for the rest of the year.

AT3 sold pretty well, that might give them some cash.
I love Disgaea, I would be very sad if N1 died :(

Aru

duckroll said:
What the fuck does N1 have to do with AT3? N1 released Last Rebellion. :p

My mistake, I thought AT was a NIS series because I remembered NISA published both AT games on PS2 in NA.

I forgot it was a Banpresto series at first.

donny2112

Nirolak said:
So apparently not only were Nippon Ichi's profits down 97.5% this year, but now their stock price collapsed so much today that the JASDAQ actually had to freeze the stock in order to stop it from collapsing any further.

If someone was interested in buying Nippon Ichi, I imagine an announcement will be made soon, though I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested.

So it'll be NIS that starts releasing 360 games, then, and not Nintendo. I figured it had to be one of them.

Spiegel

duckroll said:

I guess they'll port Disgaea 3 to psp when that happens

Well, at least they didn't lose money. Maybe they should try getting a bigger publisher to lower risks, even if its at the expense of not owning the IP and yadda-yadda. Think Acquire-Sony partnership.

Disgaea 2 PSP wasn't even in this fiscal year, it was released on March 26th 2009. So their 2009 fiscal year titles going by what made it to garaph is:

21 DS 2009-05-28 A Witch's Tale: Apprentice Witch and Seven Princesses Nippon Ichi 4,355
22 PSP 2009-10-22 Antiphona no Seikahime: Tenshi no Gakufu Op.A Nippon Ichi 5,738
23 PSP 2009-11-26 La Pucelle: Ragnarok Nippon Ichi 10,849

Dalthien

duckroll said:
No one lost any money.

bttb said:
Earnings forecast revision for the fiscal year ending March 2010: [millions of yen]
Net Sales: 2,721 -> 1,891
Operating Income: 112 -> -268 (loss)
Recurring Income: 89 -> -259 (loss)
Net Profit: 53 -> -358 (loss)
I realize that these are their revised projections, but it sure looks like they are definitely losing money if this is what they are now expecting their numbers to be in just a couple months.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Don't know where else to put this- a few possible Iwata quotes relevant to discussions we've had:

Re: 3rd parties

Some people criticize that Wii business has been driven only by Nintendo's great hits and there is little benefit for third parties, which in fact is not true, as the situation is similar even on non-Nintendo platforms, when we compare per-title sales figure like this. Adding to these facts, when we actually consider which platform owns more major titles of third parties, that criticism again loses the basis. But once people assume a fact they can hardly pay attention to the contrary bases. So I believe we need to ask foreign software companies for their cooperation by asking them to pay close attention to these facts and by explaining the business opportunities on our platforms, in order to build a cooperative relationship. I must admit we did not make enough effort to solve the bias or misunderstanding between third parties and us. I believe we have to make effort to make them understand that we can build a win-win relationship on Nintendo platforms with their good software titles that hold plenty of opportunities.

Re: software lineup

Of course, we do not want to cool down the current momentum. We do not think it was a smart approach for us to launch all three (much-anticipated) titles in the latter half of 2009 in order to force the re-ignition of the market. Rather, it is necessary for us to prepare a well-balanced software lineup, which can be launched in a balanced manner, in order to maintain the momentum.

Of course, given what Wii's lineup looks like so far maybe we should take this with a giant grain of salt...

schuelma said:
Don't know where else to put this- a few possible Iwata quotes relevant to discussions we've had:

Re: 3rd parties

*Stuff*

Re: software lineup

*Stuff*

Of course, given what Wii's lineup looks like so far maybe we should take this with a giant grain of salt...

I think the second half of the year will be interesting SW wise especially for announcements. If they give proper marketing to Xenoblade, Last Story then release their own games (SMG2, Metroid, Zelda) then maybe get some more obvious game announcements (MH3G and Inazuma Eleven Break if that comes out this year which I think it will) I think they'll be fine. Wonder what they'll have for 2011 though I guess that's too far away to matter right now :p

Bel Marduk said:
I think the second half of the year will be interesting SW wise especially for announcements. If they give proper marketing to Xenoblade, Last Story then release their own games (SMG2, Metroid, Zelda) then maybe get some more obvious game announcements (MH3G and Inazuma Eleven Break if that comes out this year which I think it will) I think they'll be fine. Wonder what they'll have for 2011 though I guess that's too far away to matter right now :p

I'm going to guess that is finally Pikmin 3 going to come out in 2011. Dragon Quest X has a slight chance of being released, that is only if it was being worked on simultaneously with the DS version. I think 2012 is more likely. All you can really do is speculate about 2011, which is fun, but pointless this far away.

2010 should be a good year overall. They need a few more titles to fill in the ranks, like Mario Party 9 and Kirby Wii (they need for it to actually come out!). It would be nice to see what Level 5 has for the Wii. If Inazuma Eleven Break actually exists and if we are actually going to see Ninokuni Wii or not. Then of course there is going to be "Wii Relax" or whatever that turns out to be.

Linkup

NP, ONM, and Nintendo Dream are all promising announcements. NOE has that media summit and GDC is in March also. Let's wait a little bit before we proclaim the Wii Drought Of 2010.

nodish2 said:
You think NIS games will sell on the 360? Are you joking?

Yes. No.

When does Nintendo Dream leak? The issue comes out on the 21st, but the news of the announcement came out a few days before the last issue itself, so perhaps mid-next week the new issue will leak? As the 21st is a Sunday.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Linkup said:
NP, ONM, and Nintendo Dream are all promising announcements. NOE has that media summit and GDC is in March also. Let's wait a little bit before we proclaim the Wii Drought Of 2010.
They are? I don't remember that.

Oh, leaks of the next issue. Ah I see. Well it seems they're just using their "and a few surprises" comment which tends to just translate as being something minor.
Hero of Legend said:
When does Nintendo Dream leak? The issue comes out on the 21st, but the news of the announcement came out a few days before the last issue itself, so perhaps mid-next week the new issue will leak? As the 21st is a Sunday.
I've just been assuming its was refering to the new Pokemon game or Xenoblade, but I suppose that hint of theirs could still be something new.

ethelred

thestopsign said:
I'm going to guess that is finally Pikmin 3 going to come out in 2011. Dragon Quest X has a slight chance of being released, that is only if it was being worked on simultaneously with the DS version. I think 2012 is more likely. All you can really do is speculate about 2011, which is fun, but pointless this far away.

2010 should be a good year overall. They need a few more titles to fill in the ranks, like Mario Party 9 and Kirby Wii (they need for it to actually come out!). It would be nice to see what Level 5 has for the Wii. If Inazuma Eleven Break actually exists and if we are actually going to see Ninokuni Wii or not. Then of course there is going to be "Wii Relax" or whatever that turns out to be.

Um, you're not going to see Inazuma Eleven Break (a title Level-5 explicitly mentioned as being put on the backburner) or Ninokuni Wii (if it is being made for the Wii...) in 2010. Ninokuni will be coming out this year, sure. But there hasn't been a single piece of media on a console version of Ninokuni; it's not being released alongside the DS game.

Dragon Quest X does not have a "slight chance" even of being released in 2010. Where are you getting this stuff? Seriously.

Top Bottom