• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 25 - 31, 2010

squall211

bttb said:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/235/235713/img.html
Level 5 announced that their titles have shipped a combined total 23.64 million units worldwide.

Dark Cloud (WW) - 1.19m
Dark Chronicle (WW) - 0.89m
Dragon Quest VIII (WW) - 4.90m
Rogue Galaxy (WW) - 0.78m
Jeanne d'Arc (WW) - 0.21m
Professor Layton Series (WW) - 9.18m
Inazuma Eleven Series (JP) - 1.54m
Atamania Series (JP) - 0.44m
White Knight Chronicles (JP) - 0.36m
Dragon Quest IX (JP) - 4.15m

Wow, DQ VIII & IX account for about 40% of that, and Layton another 40%.

ethelred said:
Um, you're not going to see Inazuma Eleven Break (a title Level-5 explicitly mentioned as being put on the backburner) or Ninokuni Wii (if it is being made for the Wii...) in 2010. Ninokuni will be coming out this year, sure. But there hasn't been a single piece of media on a console version of Ninokuni; it's not being released alongside the DS game.

Dragon Quest X does not have a "slight chance" even of being released in 2010. Where are you getting this stuff? Seriously.

Sorry, I didn't state that very well. I said Dragon Quest X had a slight chance of coming out in 2011, but that it would probably be 2012 and beyond. As for the Level 5 games, those are sort of wishful thinking.

cvxfreak

I don't think Reginlev will be a big game at all. Seems like another Sin and Punishment 2 or Captain Rainbow in terms of interest and importance.

As always, we can be surprised, but Reginlev doesn't light that spark inside me, so to say.

RPGManiac

Banned
So about Sin and Punishment 2's US release: I've seen ads for it at Gamestop in their TV thing. Does that mean it's coming over for sure?

Shiggy

duckroll said:
Shipping 11 million units of self-published software is amazing for Level 5 as a publisher. Congrats to Hino.

Professor Layton is not self-published in the US and Europe :p

Shirokun

cvxfreak said:
I don't think Reginlev will be a big game at all. Seems like another Sin and Punishment 2 or Captain Rainbow in terms of interest and importance.

As always, we can be surprised, but Reginlev doesn't light that spark inside me, so to say.

Yep, it looks interesting to me personally, but I can't see this selling more than 20K at most.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think Reginleiv could do 20-25K first week.

cvxfreak said:

One down, two to go!

Vinnk

2 Japanese gamers I know are planning to buy Reginleiv. But I don't read anything into that. They are also Xbox 360 owners and we already know what a small fraction of gamers these otaku actually are. Still I feel it will not bomb as hard as S&P2 or Captain Rainbow and if the online is good it might prevent it from being instantly resold. The black box and demo are kind of wildcards here. Nintendo hasn't done either before so who knows. Not expecting it to do it, but I would not be totally shocked if it did hit the 50k Duckroll predicted.

Well it would still be a little shocking..

cvxfreak

It doesn't help for Nintendo to at least try to have the game sell very well. I heard about the demo distribution, which probably can't hurt unless the game isn't very good.

schuelma

Reginleiv currently is sold out on Amazon..which might not mean anything, especially since it hasn't made comgnet or lepton preorder rankings. Still, I do think it can do a bit more than Captain Rainbow/Takt of Magic bomba levels- I mean even stuff like Batallion Wars and Metroid manages 60K+.

schuelma said:
Reginleiv currently is sold out on Amazon..which might not mean anything, especially since it hasn't made comgnet or lepton preorder rankings. Still, I do think it can do a bit more than Captain Rainbow/Takt of Magic bomba levels- I mean even stuff like Batallion Wars and Metroid manages 60K+.

I can't believe you've gone for the Amazon Defence!

jay

Vinnk said:
2 Japanese gamers I know are planning to buy Reginleiv.

If everyone knows two different Japanese gamers who will buy Reginleiv...

I predict Reginleiv sells 13,384,060k.

Vinnk

jay said:
If everyone knows two different Japanese gamers who will buy Reginleiv...

I predict Reginleiv sells 13,384,060k.

But what if we all know the same two? Then Reginleiv is only going to sell 2 copies...

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
I can't believe you've gone for the Amazon Defence!

Not so fast! I distinctly recall cvx citing the Umbrella Chronicles packin selling out on Amazon in November 2007!

Aha!

jay

Vinnk said:
But what if we all know the same two? Then Reginleiv is only going to sell 2 copies...

Good point. I will narrow down my prediction.
Reginleiv will sell between .002k and 13,384,060k.

Spiegel

schuelma said:

Tbat's the amazon.jp exclusive special edition. The stand-alone game is nº62 with the usual discount.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0033WTK4O/

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Not so fast! I distinctly recall cvx citing the Umbrella Chronicles packin selling out on Amazon in November 2007!

Aha!

Biohazard 5 Alternative Edition is #1 on Amazon JP right now.

You know what that means... [cvxfreakgirl.gif]

Acosta

Nintendo is going to drop Reginleiv to bomb when they have an obvious solution for making it a multi hit:

-Change protagonist for Mario with armor and sword.
-Change enemies for Goombas and apply some kind of cel shaded.
-Call it "Mario Knight".

Tada!

apujanata

bttb said:
Nippon Ichi has stopped development of 2 titles which were planned for the next fiscal year. This alone has resulted in a loss of 80 million yen.

Can we guess which platform that 2 titles are for ? Any reason given as to why NI dropped them ?

cvxfreak said:

I am not into S&P2 (haven't played any of those game yet, even though I heard only good news about them) or Captain Rainbow (too weird for me), but I am very interested in Reginleiv. I have it as wall paper right now :D
Now all we have to do is find out how many people are like me, and we are set. CVX, how much is the price of Reginleiv in Japan ?

bttb said:
The article quoted by Kotaku focused on operating income for the consumer division. The article posted by Kotaku mistook this as operating income for the whole company. Nippon Ichi Software have 4 divisions. Consumer, mobile, amusement and other businesses.

http://www.nippon1.co.jp/news/pdf/2010/20100205_2.pdf
The company as a whole actually posted a loss for the 9 months ended December 2009. [millions of yen]
Net Sales: 1,301
Operating Income: -136 (loss)
Recurring Income: -130 (loss)
Net Income: -231 (loss)
Ahh, thanks for clarifying. Consumer division barely made a profit (5m yen if I'm reading it right) but the other divisions dragged it down to red (Op.Income -136m yen), and for the whole FY they expect losses to get bigger (Op.Income forecast -268m yen). Their previous forecast was a 112m yen profit, so we can see why their stock plummeted.

bttb said:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/235/235713/img.html
Level 5 announced that their titles have shipped a combined total 23.64 million units worldwide.
Very nice. Can some translate the dengeki article part where I think it says they are considering opening an overseas branch? Its this part:
1月から港区に東京オフィスを構え、3月には本社移転を予定している同社は、海外でもソフトを売っていくために、アメリカ支社の設立も検討中だという。

Road said:
Meanwhile, Marvelous posts more losses: http://www.mmv.co.jp/common/images/var/ir_news/286/20100209H22-3tansin3q.pdf

9 months ending Dec. 31st, 2009 (year before):
Sales: 6,601 (7,997)
Operating income: -1,208 (-241)
Net income: -1,278 (-151)
Yikes, operating income quintupled its numbers YOY, net income x10 worse. Makes N1 loss look like pocket change.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Very nice. Can some translate the dengeki article part where I think it says they are considering opening an overseas branch? Its this part:

It says they established an office in Tokyo in January, they plan to move their headquarters (currently in Fukuoka) in March, and they're considering establishing a brand in America for the purpose of selling their software overseas.

donny2112

Acosta said:
Nintendo is going to drop Reginleiv to bomb when they have an obvious solution for making it a multi hit:

-Change protagonist for Mario with armor and sword.
-Change enemies for Goombas and apply some kind of cel shaded.
-Call it "Mario Knight".

Tada!

So you'd be slicing Goombas in half with lots of blood, and cutting the heads off of Koopas?

Bold.

Zelda may be a better fit. Taking down those giants in Majora's Mask, for example.

Acosta

donny2112 said:
So you'd be slicing Goombas in half with lots of blood, and cutting the heads off of Koopas?

Bold.

Zelda may be a better fit. Taking down those giants in Majora's Mask, for example.

Blood doesn't sell, no point keeping it.

Duckroll said:
It says they established an office in Tokyo in January, they plan to move their headquarters (currently in Fukuoka) in March, and they're considering establishing a brand in America for the purpose of selling their software overseas.

That would be nice, Lever 5 has still lots of potential to growth and a (good) american division could be a good way.

donny2112

Acosta said:
Blood doesn't sell, no point keeping it.

So slicing Goombas in half and cutting off the heads of Koopas without blood. Interesting choice. Zelda still probably makes more sense there. They can even change the blood to green like with OoT.

Cygnus X-1

cvxfreak said:

Yeah, you're probably right, sadly. I hope only that this will not prevent Nintendo to bring the game oversear.

Acosta

Cygnus X-1 said:
Yeah, you're probably right, sadly. I hope only that this will not prevent Nintendo to bring the game oversear.

Nintendo have a solid track bringing niche game out of Japan, I'm sure there is nothing to fear about it.

Just wanted to point to the Level 5 announcements (for both PS3 and Wii). It's most likely WKC2 for the PS3 and Inazuma Eleven Break for the Wii. Looks like I might be right Ethelred! :lol

Ironic how they announce an announcement right after you said that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
thestopsign said:
Just wanted to point to the Level 5 announcements (for both PS3 and Wii). It's most likely WKC2 for the PS3 and Inazuma Eleven Break for the Wii. Looks like I might be right Ethelred! :lol

Ironic how they announce an announcement right after you said that.
They wouldn't announce WKC2 them-selves. I think it was already announced too.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
So slicing Goombas in half and cutting off the heads of Koopas without blood. Interesting choice. Zelda still probably makes more sense there. They can even change the blood to green like with OoT.

Green is the color of money, and since Nintendo is printing money with Wii & DS, I am sure the blood will be green.

Top Bottom