• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

jay

[Nintex] said:
You'd think that based on the sales of Wario Land, Punch-Out!!, ExciteBots, Sin & Punishment 2 and a bunch of other titles Nintendo would stop dumping their games on the marketplace with little to no advertising.

They're releasing games without trying in order to build an excuse for why they won't support Nintendo systems any more.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is there a reason we are so sure RE: DC did in the 100K range? Just looking at the top 10, its below 130K and probably above 50K or so. Am I missing a number?

duckroll

schuelma said:
Is there a reason we are so sure RE: DC did in the 100K range? Just looking at the top 10, its below 130K and probably above 50K or so. Am I missing a number?

It's above Friend Collection, which has pretty stable sales. If it did 93k last week, it is unlikely to have done less than say 70-80k this week. 100k seems to be a good bet.

duckroll said:
It's above Friend Collection, which has pretty stable sales. If it did 93k last week, it is unlikely to have done less than say 70-80k this week. 100k seems to be a good bet.
Not saying you're wrong, but isn't this the beginning of January, where everything just drops like a rock (like 50%) from one week to another? I wouldn't say 100k is guaranteed.

duckroll

Souldriver said:
Not saying you're wrong, but isn't this the beginning of January, where everything just drops like a rock (like 50%) from one week to another? I wouldn't say 100k is guaranteed.

Yeah, NSMBW sure dropped like a rock from last week.

schuelma

duckroll said:

Whoops...completely misread the Famitsu chart and only had Friend Collection doing 55K. Yeah, 90-100K seems likely, which I think is an acceptable debut.

duckroll

Souldriver said:
Didn't see there were hard numbers yet.

Famitsu reported on NSMBW crossing 3 million, giving the LTD number which ends with last week's tracking. Deducting that from the numbers we have from the week before gives it 133k for the #2 spot. That's how we know BbS sold more than that, and DSC will sell between whatever Friend Collection sold, and 133k. Which makes ~100k pretty likely.

Jeels

Birth by Sleep deserves good sales! But for some reason, I'm expecting a huge drop off in sales next week...

I really hope it sells this well internationally too, hopefully that piracy protection is still working by then. I know a lot of Kingdom Hearts fans have PSPs, so I'm hopeful the success will be replicated.

bttb said:
According to Sinobi, this month's meeting was cancelled. A new title from a popular series will be revealed in the next issue of Nintendo Dream, but expectations should be kept low.

my bet : Mario Party 9 - summer release

[Nintex]

Moor-Angol said:
Based on the New Super Mario Bros. Wii craze, Nintendo would be crazy if they didn't. On the other hand it might be one of their 'smaller' franchises like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars or something.

Since they haven't announced their 2010 racing title yet...F-Zero please, k thx bye

Also, Pikmin 3 might turn its head, based on the fact that here in Europe the NPC titles can be picked up for about 10 euro and still aren't moving and NoA hasn't bothered to bring over Pikmin 2.

i just based my bet from "popular series" and considering 3 years has been passed since last Mario Party episode.
Pikmin, F-Zero, and Advance Wars are not so popular in Japan, maybe Fire Emblem is, but i wouldn't say it's so popular as Mario Party (especially considering how much MP8 sold)

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:

Probably that, but I really hope its Fire Emblem. I can only play Radiant Dawn so many times :(

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
i just based my bet from "popular series" and considering 3 years has been passed since last Mario Party episode.
Pikmin, F-Zero, and Advance Wars are not so popular in Japan, maybe Fire Emblem is, but i wouldn't say it's so popular as Mario Party (especially considering how much MP8 sold)

Pikmin is pretty popular- didn't the first 2 do 500K or so?

Of course, the "expectations should be kept low" could mean sales wise or popularity..I dunno.

C.T.

[Nintex] said:
You'd think that based on the sales of Wario Land, Punch-Out!!, ExciteBots, Sin & Punishment 2 and a bunch of other titles Nintendo would stop dumping their games on the marketplace with little to no advertising.

I saw the commercials several times for Hotel Dusk 2. Not that frequent, but there was a tv commercial at least.

enishi

Hero of Legend said:
I could be wrong, but the next Nintendo Dream could out as early as today or tomorrow, as checking Wikipedia, it was a biweekly issue coming out on the 6th and the 21st, but in 2005 become monthly again, the article doesn't say the day, but the Google search also brought up an old thread from 2006 posted on the 21st.

Yes, next issue is out tomorrow (21st Jan)
http://www.nindori.com/books/index.html

But from Sinobi's link, "next issue" should mean April issue (out on 21st Feb) since it is referring to news of March issue

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
According to Sinobi, this month's meeting was cancelled. A new title from a popular series will be revealed in the next issue of Nintendo Dream, but expectations should be kept low.
This comment about low expectations looks like a guess from sinobi, based on current weak releases (he complains about the empty release schedule Wii has for the next two months).

The magazine says that next issue will have details of Nintendo's big titles, with a surprising new title from continued popular series coming up.

I don't think it says somewhere for what system (Wii or DS) it will be.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
This comment about low expectations looks like a guess from sinobi, based on current weak releases (he complains about the empty release schedule Wii has for the next two months).

The magazine says that next issue will have details of Nintendo's big titles, with a surprising new title from continued popular series coming up.

Interesting. Maybe that's when we'll get our Galaxy 2 release info

gerg

schuelma said:
Interesting. Maybe that's when we'll get our Galaxy 2 release info

Perhaps.

Nintendo also needs a title for release sometime between Galaxy 2 and July, when I suspect that the Vitality Sensor will finally be released.

bttb said:
Sinobi actually said this month's "announcement meeting" was cancelled rather than "retailer meeting".

This blog which has covered retailer meetings before says there will be a Nintendo retailer meeting tomorrow.

On the 22nd I assume, since that was posted on the 21st?

schuelma

bttb said:
Sinobi actually said this month's "announcement meeting" was cancelled rather than "retailer meeting".

This blog which has covered retailer meetings before says there will be a Nintendo retailer meeting tomorrow.

So the thing from last week was going to be closer to a conference than a retailer meeting? Or am I misreading that?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:

If I understand right sinobi means the announcement of the game was cancelled (probably to be an exclusive for next month's Nintendo Dream magazine) but we will have the retailer meeting tomorrow.

test_account

XP-39C²
manueldelalas said:
I called it a in the last; and it will no sell two millions, it will struggle to sell 1.9 millions.

Then again, I don't know if FFXIII international will be released (final fantasy X and X-2 international sold like 240k but I can't find numbers for FF XII).

The budget release of FFXII sold 45k copies according to the japan games charts site.

So no, it won't reach 2 millions until the international version is released.
Out of curiousity, how is "struggle" being defined? Is it if it takes for example 10 week from now on for FFXIII to reach 1.9 millions (if it reaches 1.9 millions that is)?

oldie-newbie said:
psp go is not a console but is a concept and it sold very well for a concept...

Thanks, as always, Chris1964 for the top 50 :D

Monster Hunter 3 and SSBB are near or just a little over 1000k and 2000k by now...
I know that you said that it was sarcasm what you said about the PSP Go, but i actually think that you have a point with the first part of your sentence, about being a concept :) The PSP Go is indeed a console/gaming system though, but it isnt a console on it's own (with "dedicated" (or what i shall say) hardware and exclusive games) like the Virtual Boy is, so maybe it is possible to say that the PSP Go is more of a "concept" (i am not sure if concept is the exactly right word, but do you know what i mean?) while the Virtual Boy is (or was) a brand new and standalone console/gaming system with own hardware and exclusive games.

But that said, i dont really think that the PSP Go would have sold really that much more even if it was a brand new gaming system with exclusive games. I still think that the high price on the PSP Go and games being download-able only would still have hurt the PSP Go sales even if it was a console/gaming system on it's own with exclusive games. But since there is a less expencive PSP model out there (the PSP-3000) that plays physical UMD games (and the PSP-3000 can also play download-able games like the PSP Go can), i think that this also holds back the PSP Go sales.

But i am not defending the PSP Go sales and i am not saying that the PSP Go sales are good just to underline that. Even if PSP Go was a console/gaming system on it's own with exclusive games, i dont think that it would have sold much more compared to what the PSP Go had sold so far. I just wanted to say that i think that there is some type of difference between the PSP Go and the Virtual Boy, that the PSP Go is a PSP model revision that plays PSP games (download-able only though) while the Virtual Boy is a console/gaming system on it's own :)

EDIT: I added some text.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
If I understand right sinobi means the announcement of the game was cancelled (probably to be an exclusive for next month's magazine) but we will have the retailer meeting tomorrow.

So nothing about this supposed franchise game, but the normal retailer stuff then.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
So nothing about this supposed franchise game, but the normal retailer stuff then.
This retailer meeting will unveil us Pikmin 3 and the magazine will unveil Mario Party 9:lol

There will be announced some new game(s) possibly, otherwise this meeting has no purpose to happen.

Sagitario

bttb said:

Obviously a new Tales games, it just makes sense...

:p

test_account said:
I know that you said that it was sarcasm what you said about the PSP Go, but i actually think that you have a point with the first part of your sentence, about being a concept :) The PSP Go is indeed a console/gaming system though, but it isnt a console on it's own (with "dedicated" (or what i shall say) hardware and exclusive games) like the Virtual Boy is, so maybe it is possible to say that the PSP Go is more of a "concept" (i am not sure if concept is the exactly right word, but do you know what i mean?) while the Virtual Boy is (or was) a brand new and standalone console/gaming system with own hardware and exclusive games.

For a sarcasm, you need always to take some part of reality :D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
onken said:
It will be this spring, just not on Wii ;)
Not sure what you will be waggling but the wand/gem/arc isn't released until fall. I'm guessing you will be playing PC version with :D mods?

Sadist

bttb said:
Please be Fire Emblem.

gerg

Nirolak said:
Apparently Nintendo has filed a new trademark for Luigi's Mansion.

The odds of this news being related is astronomically low, but it's fun to suggest things. :p

Don't joke with me.

I have fond memories of Luigi's Mansion as one of the first 'Cube games I played. A sequel would be amazing.

Bel Marduk said:
Hope it's not Luigi's Mansion. I want good games :p Though Luigi's Mansion isn't an "established series" is it?

I presume the Mario series would be the established series in question.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Chris1964 said:

Nintendo, make my Wii 3/4 complete and give me F-Zero Wii. I got the leather, I got the whip, and I got the handcuffs. I am longing to let it dominate me for it's painful pleasure.

Hmmm, that just sounds wierd.... meh, I'll go with it :)

AdroitOne said:
Nintendo, make my Wii 3/4 complete and give me F-Zero Wii. I got the leather, I got the whip, and I got the handcuffs. I am longing to let it dominate me for it's painful pleasure.

Hmmm, that just sounds wierd.... meh, I'll go with it :)
If were were to put you and Thunder Monkey in the same room, would it initiate the apocalypse?

Top Bottom