• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
Out of interest, does anyone know the PSP sales for the weeks Dissidia/Crisis Core launched? I'm interested to see how much a bump they gave it

Crisis Core week - 95,487 (15,564 the week before that)
Dissidia week - 146,000 (71,540 the week before that)
BbS week - 145,682 (136,814 the week before this)

is the psp go the worst selling console ever released in japan by one of the market leaders ? i think that even the virtual boy sold better..

i love my psp 2000 :D

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Warren Ellis said:
is the psp go the worst selling console ever released in japan by one of the market leaders ?
I thought that honor would go to the PSX (although it did sell more in launch week then Go).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. / 37. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
32. / 31. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai)
33. / 34. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
34. / 36. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
35. / 28. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
36. / 38. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai)
37. / 46. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
38. / 00. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision)
39. / 35. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
40. / 00. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
41. / 23. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
42. / 49. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)
43. / 40. [PSP] Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (Ubisoft)
44. / 42. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
45. / 44. [NDS] Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: MM Miracle Change in Town! (Konami)
46. / 32. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson)
47. / 45. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
48. / 00. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega)
49. / 48. [PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE)
50. / 00. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami)

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) - 1.766.699 / 4.190.631 (-27%)

NDS - 18
WII - 15
PSP - 10
PS3 - 6
PS2 - 1
360 - 0

HARDWARE

Code:
|  NDS  |    105.466  |    180.492  |    285.958  |  29.384.546  |
|  WII  |     76.772  |    163.855  |    240.627  |   9.681.971  |
|  PS3  |     61.591  |    114.368  |    175.959  |   4.562.958  |
|  360  |      5.461  |      6.878  |     12.339  |   1.215.133  |
|  PS2  |      3.092  |      4.023  |      7.115  |  21.613.269  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  DSi  |     50.178  |     92.461  |    142.639  |   4.389.124  |
| DSiLL |     45.221  |     70.643  |    115.864  |     552.128  |
|  DSL  |     10.067  |     17.388  |     27.455  |  17.847.823  |
|  PSP  |    145.682  |    132.911  |    278.593  |  13.813.015  |
| PSPgo |      2.840  |      3.903  |      6.743  |      78.595  |

Warren Ellis said:
is the psp go the worst selling console ever released in japan by one of the market leaders ? i think that even the virtual boy sold better..

i love my psp 2000 :D

psp go is not a console but is a concept and it sold very well for a concept...

Thanks, as always, Chris1964 for the top 50 :D

Monster Hunter 3 and SSBB are near or just a little over 1000k and 2000k by now...

stilgar

oldie-newbie said:
psp go in not a console but is a concept and it sold very well for a concept...

No, it's a retail product. I seriously try to understand what you were implying, but it seriously makes no sense. A "concept", as you seem to define it, with a limited sales objective, would not have been launched wordwide, aimed to a very precise population, and so on.

stilgar said:
No, it's a retail product. I seriously try to understand what you were implying, but it seriously makes no sense. A "concept", as you seem to define it, with a limited sales objective, would not have been launched wordwide, aimed to a very precise population, and so on.

I think you miss the sarcasm in my sentence :D

Raist

Banned
I really thought Japan would be the one territory where PSPgo would do decently.
They need to cut the price of that shit asap. The difference with slim's price is probably what is killing it.

duckroll

Raist said:
I really thought Japan would be the one territory where PSPgo would do decently.
They need to cut the price of that shit asap. The difference with slim's price is probably what is killing it.

The price is probably "hurting" it, but what killed it is the total lack of support for retail games. Who wants to buy a system where you can't be certain of being able to buy the hottest new games released? :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Raist said:
It was clear from the beginning that Japan would the territory where PSP would bomb harder than everywhere else in the world. What's really killing it is the lack of UMD drive.

Raist

Banned
duckroll said:
The price is probably "hurting" it, but what killed it is the total lack of support for retail games. Who wants to buy a system where you can't be certain of being able to buy the hottest new games released? :lol

Well, as far as games go, the inability the play games you already own is probably the biggest problem. People upgrading for an "updated" version of the same handheld probably represents a big market share.
Sony should really have tried to implement some kind of exchange system.

Chris1964 said:
It was clear from the beginning that Japan would the territory where PSP would bomb harder than everywhere else in the world.

How so?

Road

Dengeki Sales: Jan 4 - 10:

01. / 00. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix) - 510,754 / NEW
02. / 01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 147,550 / 2,874,771
03. / 02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 93,583 / 2,539,934
04. / 05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 49,406 / 1,471,808
05. / 04. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 43,972 / 461,377
06. / 03. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 40,026 / 1,800,936
07. / 06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 32,828 / 1,687,094
08. / 07. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 27,495 / 542,171
09. / 16. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 23,772 / 75,107
10. / 09. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 21,972 / 1,843,940
11. / 10. [WII] Momotaro Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 18,185 / 200,927
12. / 13. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 18,094 / 179,122
13. / 15. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon) - 17,894 / 1,701,000
14. / 08. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5) - 17,628 / 607,329
15. / 11. [WII] Taiko no Tatusjin Wii: Dodoon to 2 Yome! (Bandai Namco Games) - 17,467 / 251,793
16. / 23. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 15,631 / 189,467
17. / 14. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 15,419 / 2,528,000
18. / 17. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco Games) - 13,506 / 398,092
19. / 21. [WII] Sengoku Musou 3 (Koei) - 13,194 / ?
20. / 19. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire (Level 5) - 12,217 / ?

- Other software (FW/LTD):

[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom) - 698,000 / 1,825,000
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 868,000 / 2,508,000
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 320,000 / 576,000
[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - ? / 3,530,000
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - ? / 5,400,000
Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |    106.323 |    174.780 |    281.103 | 29.245.808
PSP      |    144.158 |    135.916 |    280.074 | 13.669.466
Wii      |     72.336 |    175.191 |    247.527 |  9.792.963
PS3      |     56.232 |    113.276 |    169.508 |  4.654.206
360      |      6.864 |      9.667 |     16.531 |  1.225.186
PS2      |      2.845 |      4.597 |      7.442 |
------------------------------------------------------------   
Total    |    388.758 |    613.427 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/228/228098/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/490/490090/
http://research.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/035/35565/index.html

Last week.

Now, days until we know what Famitsu has for BBS.

duckroll

There are many factors as to why the PSP Go is bombing so hard in Japan, and everything was already mentioned and discussed before it ever came out in Japan. The only "logic" being presented by people who felt Japan could be the PSP Go's biggest market was some misguided assumption that Japan is "ahead of the rest of the world in terms of acceptance of awesome new technology and concepts" and hence would embrace a DD-only device which is overpriced but sleek and cool.

Raist said:

Do we really want to discuss this? If you're actually interested I guess we could do this for the next hour. He's totally right.

Raist

Banned
duckroll said:
There are many factors as to why the PSP Go is bombing so hard in Japan, and everything was already mentioned and discussed before it ever came out in Japan. The only "logic" being presented by people who felt Japan could be the PSP Go's biggest market was some misguided assumption that Japan is "ahead of the rest of the world in terms of acceptance of awesome new technology and concepts" and hence would embrace a DD-only device which is overpriced but sleek and cool.

Well this I agree with you, however they certainly are keen to get a newer, sleeker version of a piece of hardware they already own (but as you said it has nothing to do with the whole "new tech DD only woot" argument).

edit: and to be clear, when I say "decently", I'm not even considering Slim like numbers.

duckroll

The biggest barrier for the PSP Go is how Japanese consumers view transactions, and the buying habits of consumers - in particular people who invest a lot of money into their hobbies (like core gamers). Credit cards are not popular in Japan for most purchases, it's a very cash driven economy. Along with that, gamers in particular like being able to sell games they no longer want, and also buy used games of stuff they don't need immediately. For games, recommended retail price is something which doesn't really exist beyond a concept in Japan itself. Retailers are highly competitive and price slashing is common, even at launch. Amazon Japan also has great discounts for preorders of games.

Japanese gamers are also very much into collecting stuff they like. Pre-order bonuses like soundtrack CDs and artbooks, or telephone cards go over well with fans. They like having physical copies of stuff, with nice cover artworks, bonus freebies, or limited editions. This is something PSN can never offer in the same way.

While Japanese are not against digital downloads at all, it should be understood what sort of "digital downloads" appeal to them. Pretty much every single Japanese person has a cellphone. They use many services and games on their cellphones as well. But everything they buy on their phones is not something they buy with a credit card or a point card, it is simply billed to their account and they settle it monthly. And with how their phone services work, they can access them off their phone without the need of having a wireless router, or a broadband internet connection at home or in the office. The same connect be said of how consoles and portables support digital downloads.

Now with all that in mind, let's look at what the PSP Go offers to the average Japanese gamer:

- No ability to buy games for a discounted price at your favorite retailer
- No ability to sell your games
- No ability to buy used games later at a low low price
- No pre-order bonuses
- No bonus artwork
- No limited editions
- Requires broadband connection to download large games
- Requires PSN Point card or credit card to purchase games
- Unable to borrow games from friends or play the games you might already own from a previous PSP
- More expensive than the PSP-3000
- Several major Japanese games are not available on PSN

That looks really crappy doesn't it? :lol

duckroll said:
That looks really crappy doesn't it? :lol
And even after all that something like this happens:

Tekken 6 retailer MSRP 6279Y
Tekken 6 digital download 6280Y

I know this particular case isn't common, but I couldn't resist to mention it :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RaijinFY said:
Damn! :lol

But seriously Sony didnt know this??? Why even bothering with a PSPGO...
My guess would be they wanted to see how a digital only handheld would go over if they ever tried to release one in the future.

If nothing else, it did manage to get them a lot more games on PSN than they probably would have been able to otherwise.

Please note, I'm not defending the PSPgo here. I think it's a gigantic failure, but I'm just speculating on their reasoning.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I know this particular case isn't common, but I couldn't resist to mention it :lol

Wow, seriously? Scamco indeed. I think they did this with SC PSP too. It was insanely overpriced on PSN iirc. In general prices on JP and Asia PSN are pretty good imo, but Scamco just takes it to the next level of dumbness.

radcliff

farnham said:
what is genius sonority doing anyway...

they did not make any pokemon colloseum games on the Wii (battle revolution is not a fullblown RPG like collosseum or XD)

I think the president of GS worked on Dragon Quest VI and was the director of DQ VII. Maybe GS is remaking DQ VII for the Wii in order to build the DQ franchise on Wii prior to DQX's release?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

WTF?? :lol Only Namco would pull something like this. This is such a joke...I mean wow.

Btw, good they're doing the demo thing for Reginliev.

radcliff said:
I think the president of GS worked on Dragon Quest VI and was the director of DQ VII. Maybe GS is remaking DQ VII for the Wii in order to build the DQ franchise on Wii prior to DQX's release?

That'd be awesome. But it's weird that GS didn't do DQVI DS.

Does anyone have a save/cache of the Dengeki Top 20 page for the week starting December 21? The one I saved on January 6 was for the week starting December 14 and I've saved two since then for the weeks of December 28 and January 4, so the middle one must've been up short enough I missed.

I like saving these pages as primary sources. I recently lost a lot I'd saved, though, so I'll have to get in the habit of backing up and sharing them online more often.

farnham

Banned
radcliff said:
why VII

VII seems to be a perfect candidate for a new DS release..

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (21/01/10)

[NDS] Shin Sengoku Tenkatouitsu: Gunyuu Tachi no Souran (System Soft Alpha)

[PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2 (Sega)
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei)
[PSP] Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Battle of Aces (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukakuru: Hishou Boki 3-Kyuu Portable (Square Enix)
[PSP] Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukakuru: Takuchi Tatemono Torihiki Shuninsha Portable (Square Enix)
[PSP] Samurai Warriors: State of War (PSP the Best Reprint) (Koei)

[PS2] Kiniro no Corda 2 (Koei the Best) (Koei)
[PS2] Taikou Risshiden V (Koei Teiban Series) (Koei)
[PS2] Moe Moe: World War Two Deluxe (System Soft Selection) (System Soft Alpha)

What happened to that Nintendo retailer meeting? False alarm or it happened but nothing was announced (but then why did it happen)?

cvxfreak

farnham said:
why VII

It can go either way.

If VII goes to DS, and we have no reason to assume DQVIII would come to Wii, then the Wii would be the first system to get a new DQ game without a remake to accompany it. This would leave SE with nothing but DQVIII for the next handheld generation.

A VII remake is by no means guaranteed, but it's decent speculation.

farnham said:
why VII

The same reasons they picked Wii for X rather than DS, whatever those are.

It would also be something of an anticlimax if after waiting over a decade, the first rerelease of some Dragon Quest game was a port to a hardware very similar to the one it began on.

farnham

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
The same reasons they picked Wii for X rather than DS, whatever those are.

It would also be something of an anticlimax if after waiting over a decade, the first rerelease of some Dragon Quest game was a port to a hardware very similar to the one it began on.
eh.. wait a sec.. first its portable and second they did the same with dragon quest iv and it sold over one million copies

personally i wish for a DQ III remake (best game in the DQ series) on the DS and a DQ VIII port on the wii ... but DQ VII on DS just makes sense due to the fact that they have the engine running on the DS

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Does anyone have a save/cache of the Dengeki Top 20 page for the week starting December 21? The one I saved on January 6 was for the week starting December 14 and I've saved two since then for the weeks of December 28 and January 4, so the middle one must've been up short enough I missed.

I like saving these pages as primary sources. I recently lost a lot I'd saved, though, so I'll have to get in the habit of backing up and sharing them online more often.

I don't think they have shared the Top 20 for that week. We only got the Top 10.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
Probably. Not that it's really impressive since there isn't really much competition at all. It's certainly not the best selling foreign game in Japan, that honor probably belongs to GTA:SA, with almost half a million sold.
That is true, there isnt really that much competition in the FPS genre in Japan as you say, but i think that it is interesting to see that FPS can sell fairly good in Japan :) I am under the impression that FPS games in general hasnt really been that popular in Japan before (maybe the reason for this is because there havnt really been that many japanese developed FPS games, has there been any japanese developed FPS games by the way?) so it is kind of "wierd" (or what i shall say) for me to see a FPS game sell like 180k in Japan.

Ye, some of the GTA games seems to be fairly popular in Japan indeed :)

duckroll said:
And if you count the shooter genre in general, instead of just FPS, then Dirge of Cerberus, RE4 and RE5 are all bigger titles. So it's probably just a matter of there not being a significant FPS developed in Japan with a strong developer/franchise behind it.
Seeing that FPS games can sell fairly well in Japan, i wonder if any japanese developers will make a big-budget FPS game anytime soon.

Chris1964 said:
What happened to that Nintendo retailer meeting? False alarm or it happened but nothing was announced (but then why did it happen)?
Dunno if it happened but if it did it probably centered on the new Pokemon Ranger for DS hitting March 6th. Maybe the bit about Reginleiv demos at retail comes from it too.

farnham said:
eh.. wait a sec.. first its portable and second they did the same with dragon quest iv and it sold over one million copies
DQ IV DS wasn't the first rerelease, though. The PS1 incarnation which the DS one is based on is a big step from the NES original.

EDIT: To be completist, so far the original->first remakes have been...
I: NES -> SNES
II: NES -> SNES
III: NES-> SNES
IV: NES -> PS1
V: SNES -> PS2
VI: SNES -> DS

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So in relation to "Is Microsoft abandoning Japan?" watch, it seems that Microsoft is hoping that Natal will turn their fortunes around in the market.

Destructoid said:
There has been a lot of talk recently about the decline of the Japanese videogame market, and several developers believe that in order to survive, they must "go West" and appeal to a worldwide audience. While chatting with Microsoft executive and part-time druid Aaron Greenberg, we asked what he thought about the state of Japan.

"Japan is a very important market for the gaming industry and home to some of the video game industry’s leading innovators," states Greenberg. "In many ways, I think what makes Japanese games so special is that not only are these the franchises many of us grew up playing, but Japanese creators have given us the games the world plays. I have spent a lot of time in Japan in the 10 years I have been on the Xbox business and I love the country, the people and their ability to create new experiences that could only come from Japan.

"The reality of the Japanese gaming market is that it is not the size it once was and at the same time we have seen gaming become the largest form of entertainment around the world. However, I don’t think this means that Japanese creators should be trying to come up with the next Halo or Call of Duty. I think there are ways to leverage their creativity with new tools like 'Project Natal.'"

He adds: "I also believe that there are ways for some of the popular Japanese franchises to become more approachable for a wider audience as well. As you know, at TGS this year, we held a 'Project Natal' Creators Panel with three of Japan’s leading creators, Kojima-san of Konami, Inafune-san of Capcom and Nagoshi-san of Sega and talked a lot about the future of creativity and their excitement around bringing new experiences to life with 'Project Natal.' In fact, all of the leading Japanese publishers have announced that they are actively working on games for 'Project Natal' and I can’t wait to see these come to life. I truly believe the future is bright for Japanese creators and publishers."

You'll notice that Aaron Greenberg was able to mention Project Natal four times in one answer here, as well as make it sound like the savior of the Japanese game industry. I told you this guy was good at his job.
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/greenberg-the-future-is-bright-for-japanese-developers-160605.phtml

Normally I wouldn't find this especially newsworthy, but the way he talks about things in this interview makes me think that Microsoft signed up a lot of Japanese exclusives for Natal. Since he doesn't confirm anything though, I figured this would only be interesting to sales-age.

I have no idea if they actually did, or if they did, if the games actually have any quality, but his statements are very strange for a market they're giving zero support to right now.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nirolak said:
but the way he talks about things in this interview makes me think that Microsoft signed up a lot of Japanese exclusives for Natal. .

Yeah......reallllllly skeptical about that one.

Kishgal

Banned
farnham said:

personally i wish for a DQ III remake (best game in the DQ series) on the DS and a DQ VIII port on the wii ... but DQ VII on DS just makes sense due to the fact that they have the engine running on the DS
You're missing something crucial here. DQ4 DS is a port of a remake. Since DQ2, no original DQ version has ever been ported to anything. The reason is because Horii has stated that he doesn't want to revisit a DQ unless the experience can be significantly improved. I see lots of talk about a DQ7 port constantly, but it is very unlikely to ever happen. And even if it did, it would be years away. DQ6 isn't even out yet, and there will be a gap between the two, guaranteed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
Yeah......reallllllly skeptical about that one.
I didn't say they would be quality exclusives. :p

I can't figure out why else he's fawning over the market so much and mentioning Natal eighty times however, unless he just wants to make himself look ridiculous when they have zero support for Japan this year again.

I mean, it's possible they really have nothing again, but you'd think they'd try to bury that under the rug instead of pointing out how great they think the Japanese market is and how they're completely failing here. This seems a bit foreshadowing of something at least.

I guess we'll find out in about five months though.

farnham

Banned
Kishgal said:
You're missing something crucial here. DQ4 DS is a port of a remake. Since DQ2, no original DQ version has ever been ported to anything. The reason is because Horii has stated that he doesn't want to revisit a DQ unless the experience can be significantly improved. I see lots of talk about a DQ7 port constantly, but it is very unlikely to ever happen. And even if it did, it would be years away. DQ6 isn't even out yet, and there will be a gap between the two, guaranteed.
DQ7 on DS would mean that its portable.. that alone is an improvement in its own right isnt it..

i mean Enix ported DQ3 on the gameboy color.. and that is arguably worse then DQ 3 on NES and most definately worse then DQ 3 on the SNES

Top Bottom