• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 19-25

Yes, but just how dorky is Basara?

The increased sales could be because of:

- This anime that's apparently so popular
- Word of mouth getting around about the previous game and 2nd hand copies getting a LOT of circulation

I can offer some explanations for the PS3:Wii version ratio:

- If Basara is really dorky, it follows that its userbase is made up of Famitsu-reading PS3 owners.
- If Basara is mainstream, it follows that the audience for third party content on Wii has by-and-large, moved on
- Wii dying / PS3 resurgence

Bebpo

Banned
it's not that crazy. Does the Wii version of any game ever sell better than the PS3 version? Anyone who owns both systems would buy the PS3 version and I think by now we've established that the Wii-only hardcore game audience is <100k.

viciouskillersquirrel said:

- Word of mouth getting around about the previous game and 2nd hand copies getting a LOT of circulation

- If Basara is really dorky, it follows that its userbase is made up of Famitsu-reading PS3 owners.
- If Basara is mainstream, it follows that the audience for third party content on Wii has by-and-large, moved on

It's not as dorky as Super Robot Wars, but it's not as mainstream as Wii ____.

However, I've seen Basara branded clothing in trendy clothing stores aimed at teenagers. These weren't your typical "OMG I'm a nerd look at my videogame shirt" stuff, but more stylized stuff.

Takao

Banned
Well, now I imagine Capcom's working on ports of every Wii game they've released (ok, maybe not Zack & Wiki, and Spyborgs)...

Grimmy

Banned

Actually, one of Sengoku Basara's main audience is women, believe it or not.

And yay on Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki - not too shabby considering it's a rather obscure mash-up action game.

dili

kpop100 said:
Isn't Basara the series with unusually high female fanbase?
Almost equally half of the series's fanbase, and 90% of the visitors at their Sengoku Basara public events are women, according to Capcom's Kobayashi.

I think the situation on the Wii should be held up as a lesson to third parties - you need to foster and build up an audience for your content via a stream of steady releases. Otherwise, your audience will get sick of waiting and move on.

Capcom especially is guilty of this - they raked in the cash with RE4 Wii, building up the audience for RE games at launch and followed it up with... what? A few lazy ports and two on-rail shooters. An in-genre spinoff using the RE4 engine could have sold a lot of copies had they struck when the iron was hot. Instead, Wii owners saw the games they wanted headed to other consoles and adjusted accordingly.

Make no mistake - third parties were wholly responsible for creating the current environment on the Wii. Unfortunately, they'll just interpret this result in the typical "You can't compete with Nintendo" kind of way.

When 3DS comes around, they'll need to change their approach - come out with guns akimbo at launch and capture as big an audience as they can (you can increase the size of your audience this way as you don't have a lot of competition at launch) and follow it up with some solid and regular sequels.

Tiktaalik

No the lesson here is that publishers have to move their development resources toward the teeming horde of untapped horny, lonely women. It's the only thing that will pull the games industry out of the recession!!

cvxfreak

What a start for Basara 3. I believe it's the third best debut for Capcom on a console this gen, behind only MH3 and BH5.

And funny enough, those are games Capcom are good at making! I hope they get the hint and stop being western wannabes! :lol

EDarkness

No one should be surprised about the difference between the Wii and PS3 versions. Third parties created this situation, yet I doubt they'd even admit that they did anything wrong. Lack of good software from 3rd parties in the beginning and tons upon tons of bad ports and spin off games basically poisoned the market. Well, at least they still have Dragon Quest X and that should send the Wii out with a bang.

Boney

Banned
I think the situation on the Wii should be held up as a lesson to third parties - you need to foster and build up an audience for your content via a stream of steady releases. Otherwise, your audience will get sick of waiting and move on.

Capcom especially is guilty of this - they raked in the cash with RE4 Wii, building up the audience for RE games at launch and followed it up with... what? A few lazy ports and two on-rail shooters. An in-genre spinoff using the RE4 engine could have sold a lot of copies had they struck when the iron was hot. Instead, Wii owners saw the games they wanted headed to other consoles and adjusted accordingly.

Make no mistake - third parties were wholly responsible for creating the current environment on the Wii. Unfortunately, they'll just interpret this result in the typical "You can't compete with Nintendo" kind of way.

When 3DS comes around, they'll need to change their approach - come out with guns akimbo at launch and capture as big an audience as they can (you can increase the size of your audience this way as you don't have a lot of competition at launch) and follow it up with some solid and regular sequels.
It's not as if they're too sad about it. I mean look, that's the best opening in the series by far. People in these consoles still buy a lot of games.
Maybe they would buy these same games on Wii if they cultivated it, but as it stands, the only ones really losing is Nintendo.

I don't care if I'm the only one, but fist pump for Hatsune Miku 2. After how good the first one was, it doesn't surprise me that momentum carried into the 2nd, which is also rad. Sega didn't biff this one, so I'm glad they are reaping the reward.

onken

Not surprised, there is literally not one single reason why you would buy the Wii version if you own both consoles (bar the 1000Y price difference, I guess).

Laguna

Banned
The reason is very clear. And has more to do with cultivating a fanbase for certain gametypes than anything else.

Wii games with similar gameplay like Basara 3

2009:
- Sengoku Musou 3

PS3 games with similar gameplay

2007:

- Gundam Musou
- Shin Sangoku Musou 5

2008:

- Gundam Musou 2

2009:

- Musou Orochi Z
- Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires
- Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special

2010:

- Hokuto Musou

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Laguna said:
The reason is very clear. And has more to do with cultivating a fanbase for certain gametypes than anything else.

Wii games with similar gameplay like Basara 3

2009:
- Sengoku Musou 3

PS3 games with similar gameplay

2007:

- Gundam Musou
- Shin Sangoku Musou 5

2008:

- Gundam Musou 2

2009:

- Musou Orochi Z
- Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires
- Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special

2010:

- Hokuto Musou
Ohhhhhhhh.

If the sales of Sengoku Basara PS3 prove anything, it's that you don't need to have "next gen" quality graphics in order to sell, since the graphics are 99% identical to the Wii version...

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
If the sales of Sengoku Basara PS3 prove anything, it's that you don't need to have "next gen" quality graphics in order to sell, since the graphics are 99% identical to the Wii version...

Tales of Graces is next!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Huh. Wii versions actually did around what I was expecting- the difference is the PS3 version did a lot better. I was expecting a 60k/175k split or something along those lines.

Top Bottom