• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 26-August 1

farnham said:
yeah you are right about xenoblade and reginleiv. but still wii had more titles that sold over 500k so far (NSMBWii, WiiFit Plus, SMG2, Wii Party)

I dont have the total software sales but i do think the Wii software sales are higher. So i wouldnt say the wii is a total flop this year.

All those games are 1st party , Nintendo selling millions of games on there own system is the norm 3rd parties don't care about that .

This whole idea that everyone is to blame for Wii lack of third party support is nonsense .
Nintendo knew they were coming out with another type of hardware , but said fuck it they don't care about third parties .
Nintendo from the start should have made games like Xenoblade and reginleiv along with Wii sports , party etc etc .
So they could build both types of gamers and also show 3rd parties that hardcore games also sell.
Even after Wii start to sell millions and Nintendo made billions of dollars they still sit on there ass.

Nintendo thought they had another DS and they were right but unlike the DS the 3rd party supports did not come.

Grimmy

Banned
farnham said:
i was not arguing that wii is no thirdparty haven. im just saying that it will keep holding its position with first party titles alone

This is true. Nintendo's software are, for the most part, doing well for them on the Wii. Except for games like Xenoblade (around 110,000), Sin & Punishment 2 (around 10,000) and Reginleiv (around 30,000). It's no wonder you don't see as many core games for the Wii anymore...

farnham

Banned
Grimmy said:
This is true. Nintendo's software are, for the most part, doing well for them on the Wii. Except for games like Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment 2 and Reginleiv. It's no wonder you don't see as many core games for the Wii anymore...
oh please dont start another what is teh hardcore argument.

if you like games like mario galaxy, metroid other m, zelda, donkey kong, wii party etc. its a good system and if not its not. people tried to formulate criteria that determines hardcore and casual but most of them fail. also it does not have to do anything with the sustainability of the wii for nintendo.

Grimmy

Banned
farnham said:
oh please dont start another what is teh hardcore argument.

if you like games like mario galaxy, metroid other m, zelda, donkey kong, wii party etc. its a good system and if not its not. people tried to formulate criteria that determines hardcore and casual but most of them fail. also it does not have to do anything with the sustainability of the wii for nintendo.

Actually I totally agree - but the problem is, a lot of people here seem to want games *like* Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment, etc. from 3rd parties, even when Nintendo's own published games don't do well. There's a gap between what people here want and what the market for Wii owners actually buy.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Jul 26 - Aug 01, 2010:

01 / 00 [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 242,082 / 242,082
02 / 00 [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2nd (Sega) - 237,892 / 237,892
03 / 01 [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 77,933 / 521,911
04 / 00 [NDS] Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbaride Card Battle Taisen (Bandai Namco) - 55,517 / 55,517
05 / 00 [WII] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 53,836 / 53,836
06 / 00 [NDS] Metal Max 3 (Kadokawa Games) - 43,936 / 43,936
07 / 00 [PSP] Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga (Nihom Falcom) - 25,613 / 25,613
08 / 04 [WII] Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory (Square Enix) - 21,344 / 194,696
09 / 03 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo - Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu (Nintendo) - 20,761 / 202,627
10 / 05 [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 20,290 / 185,489
11 / 06 [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen!! Spark (Level 5) - 18,435 / 393,904
12 / 07 [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 18,315 / 87,652
13 / 09 [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen!! Bomber (Level 5) - 16,120 / 337,230
14 / 08 [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 16,050 / 750,102
15 / 02 [PSP] Fate/Extra (Marvelous Entertainment) - 14,379 / 85,765
16 / 14 [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Yokai Daikessen!! (Bandai Namco) - 13,622 / 145,646
17 / 00 [PS3] ModNation Racers (SCE) - 11,860 / 11,860
18 / 13 [NDS] Harvest Moon: Futago no Mura (Marvelous Entertainment) - 12,206 / 120,447
19 / 12 [PS3] White Knight Chronicles 2: Hikari to Yami no Kakusei (SCE) - 11,506 / 237,096
20 / 16 [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 11,188 / 3,253,176

Other software (first week / LTD):
2006-07 [PS2] Sengoku Basara 2 (Capcom) - 146,000 / 284,000
2009-07 [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 103,000 / 215,000

Notes:
1) Sell-through:
- [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 ~75%
- [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2nd ~70%

2) This week, total software: 1,394,000 (+42%)

3) Total sales in July (06/28~08/01) compared to the same period in 2009:
- hardware - 682,000 (-22.5%)
- software - 6,023,000 (-22.3%)

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |     45,835 |     48,348 |  1,525,608 | 30,490,305
PS3      |     38,575 |     25,648 |    968,066 |  5,452,764
PSP      |     37,802 |     29,293 |  1,363,192 | 14,752,584
WII      |     20,442 |     23,550 |  1,041,056 | 10,586,492
360      |     	7,828 |      7,979 |    161,726 |  1,370,381
PS2      |     	1,398 |      1,537 |     	| 	
------------------------------------------------------------
Total    |    151,880 |    136,355 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/289/289426/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/545/545152/
http://research.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/053/53272/index.html

Jul 19 - 25, 2010
Jul 12 - 18, 2010
Jul 05 - 11, 2010
Jun 28 - Jul 04, 2010
Jun 21 - 27, 2010

Grimmy said:
Actually I totally agree - but the problem is, a lot of people here seem to want games *like* Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment, etc. from 3rd parties, even when Nintendo's own published games don't do well. There's a gap between what people here want and what the market for Wii owners actually buy.

Which is my point, Nintendo isn't doing anything about that because they don't care about 3rd parties on Wii. 3rd parties don't care because Nintendo doesn't care.

Nintendo, as the party holder, holds the cards here, and what people perceive as a "good" title or a "bad" one. And most of the "good" titles on a Nintendo platform aren't GTA4/COD clones.

Nintendo wants it that way, and that's what they got. People are acting like 3rd parties should have forced the "core" consumers over to Wii, but my whole point is that it isn't the 3rd parties problem, it's the platform holders problem.

EDIT: Seriously, what the fuck is up with the disparity between Dengeki's, Famitsu's, and MC's estimates for Sony hardware for the last month.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
Dengeki Sales, Jul 26 - Aug 01, 2010:

PS3 | 38,575 | 25,648 | 968,066 | 5,452,764
That's a big difference with Media Create but Media Create had PS3 lower than Famitsu and Dengeki for the 3 weeks it went open price. If Famitsu hw is close to Dengeki Media Create was possibly undertracking PS3, if it is close to Media Create mess again with the 3 trackers...

Laguna

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo can't seem to grasp the idea that there should be more than one or two amazing games every year. You can't release a stellar game and wait 6-8-12 months to release the next one. Since Animal Crossing and Wii Music underperformed, the gap between releases(Mario Kart april 2008 - Wii Sports Resort june 2009) was more than 12 months. Starting with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Nintendo is finally releasing games in a timely fashion with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Wii Party, Metroid: Other M etc. The gap between releases was simply too big and gamers looked for their fix elsewhere and it isn't the first time in Nintendo's history this happened. Nintendo left money and marketshare on the table. They could've invested $10 million to let a well known Japanese developer(Square Enix/SEGA for example) develop a more 'core' game based on one of Nintendo's IP's and if they did this every year and the gap between releases would've been 3 months instead of 6 the hardware sales wouldn't have dropped like a rock at times.

Are you realy that naive? Ask Sony how easy it is to deliver even one game a year that drive console sales on your own. In fact just look at this weeks sales result for Modnation Racers, that did ~15k first week. Sony was saved by the 3rd parties, they had PS2 momentum on their back, high investments in "HD-Assets" that were already made pre this-gen-console releases and also luck that Nintendo sacrificed graphics in favor of innovation excluding them for most multiplattform releases for this very reason. Resulting to good 3rd party support and building fanbases on their competitors systems. Nintendo could have done a better job *lol* but since all the "mismanaged" things have been said we have also to remember that they managed to get the prior for PS3 announced Monster Hunter 3, and also Dragon Quest X on board both among the most popular franchises over there. Japanese support is how it is and this late in the generation won´t change that much anymore and the 3DSs announcement stole probably for any plattform and from most publishers ressources in Japan not helping Wiis situation at all of course.

This generation is almost five years old and Wii/PS3 are nearing their forth year very soon, so the next-gen may come in 2-3 years either way. If 3DS support impression are any indication it seems that relationships between 3rd parties and Nintendo got alot better by the years. Contradicting the assumption from people writing that they just don´t care about 3rd parties.

Let´s see what Nintendo will do with their next console most likely they won´t neglect graphics anymore if the 3DS is any indication for their next console, if they deliver a competitive platform (in the graphics department) it´s really hard to see why most publisher would deny most multiplattform titles since those kind of multi-plattform-engines also got more efficient in that area and since Wiis biggest problems were beeing seen as a flop system pre release, than being labeled as fad and the fact that due to its hardware it wasn´t possible to make easy ports.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Were NIS quarter results posted anywhere?

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/06/nippon_ichi_losses/

Following a first quarter earnings report showing declining sales and earnings, Nippon Ichi issued a statement today saying that it will be incurring a special loss as it cancels three consumer game projects.

The three titles were in development since last year. The company determined that achieving sales and maintaining quality for the games could end up being difficult.

Due to the cancellations, Nippon Ichi will incur a one time ¥21 million yen loss.

Nippon Ichi's first quarter earnings report today showed sales of ¥293 million, a 40.6% drop from the same period last year. The company posted an operating loss of ¥15 million, down from the slight ¥12 million surplus of last year.

The game cancelations come despite the company's consumer games division actually being slightly in black this quarter with ¥32 million income on sales of ¥269.75 million.

Nippon Ichi released six titles over the quarter. Japan got a UMD version of Disgaea Infinite. Overseas markets got What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!?, Disgaea Infinite, Trinity Universe, Viral Survival and Sakura Wars So Long My Love.

onipex

gundamkyoukai said:
All those games are 1st party , Nintendo selling millions of games on there own system is the norm 3rd parties don't care about that .

This whole idea that everyone is to blame for Wii lack of third party support is nonsense .
Nintendo knew they were coming out with another type of hardware , but said fuck it they don't care about third parties .
Nintendo from the start should have made games like Xenoblade and reginleiv along with Wii sports , party etc etc .
So they could build both types of gamers and also show 3rd parties that hardcore games also sell.
Even after Wii start to sell millions and Nintendo made billions of dollars they still sit on there ass.

Nintendo thought they had another DS and they were right but unlike the DS the 3rd party supports did not come.

If third parties don't care about how Nintendo games sell then why would they care if Nintendo made games like Xenoblade and reginleiv that sold well?

Nintendo thought that if they built a large install base that third parties would give good support. They failed to realize that Sony and Microsoft changed the support structure to the point that third parties have to basically be paid for support.

Nintendo refused to offer money or incentives until recently. DQ and MH are the two games that they made the offer to fund the advertising for in the west. Nintendo needs to continue to do that and also help advertise more lesser known quality third party software. That is if they want more big games to come to the Wii and also to sell well.

Sony and Microsoft do a much better job at making sure that gamers know what games are on their console.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Expeting Nintendo or any first party to put out a Big Game like Mario Kart or Wii Fit every 1-2 month is really naive - and people seem to forget that they also released "smaller" games for the core crowd like punch out, snp2, xenoblade, tact of magic, fire emblem and co. even though these game arent as profitable as "wii xxx"

for the next console nintendo should really try to get thos mid tier games - maybe they thought if they can secure the biggest ips right now ( mh and DQ9) everyone else would just slow down their HD development and jump on the Wii traind. Didnt happen though....

Grimmy

Banned
Geez guys, there's already a thread for you to discuss/argue about Nintendo and 3rd parties. Can you keep the discussions there?

Chris1964 said:

Interesting - do they usually breakdown their financials in terms of Japan vs. overseas? We know that Sakura Wars was a flop - the fact that they spent development dollars on making a Wii version doesn't help either. So both Nippon Ichi and NISA must both not be doing so well....

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Grimmy said:
Interesting - do they usually breakdown their financials in terms of Japan vs. overseas? We know that Sakura Wars was a flop - the fact that they spent development dollars on making a Wii version doesn't help either. So both Nippon Ichi and NISA must both not be doing so well....
Do you think the Wii version of Sakura wars was the main reason they went down? There is a game calling ''huge bomb'' in that list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Grimmy said:
Geez guys, there's already a thread for you to discuss/argue about Nintendo and 3rd parties. Can you keep the discussions there?

Err, no, they're allowed to talk about what they want to talk about. This is a Japanese sales thread. People are discussing Japanese sales.

Grimmy

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Do you think the Wii version of Sakura wars was the main reason they went down? There is a game calling ''huge bomb'' in that list.

No no that's not what I'm implying at all. I'm just trying to see if they break down the financials to NISA and Nippon Ichi. We already know Sakura Wars didn't do well (and it wasn't the only one that didn't do well), but how did that impact NISA? Their announcement this year was much lighter than before, so it may have had some impact on the number of titles they are localizing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
The first quarter results refer to their end of financial year results that was released a few months back. The one where they had like a massive 98% decline in profit. This is a separate statement specifically about the extraordinary loss from the 3 cancellations. I already made a thread about it.
Disgaea: Infinite came out in April. These must be the results of Q1 FY.

duckroll

Chris1964 said:
Disgaea: Infinite came out in April. These must be the results of Q1 FY.

No, you don't understand what I'm saying. The information about what games they released is not part of the statement released. It's something Anoop added for the article as detail. The statement released today has nothing to do with financial results, it is simply an informative release declaring the extraordinary loss of 21 million yen due to the cancellation of 3 games internally. It's not linked to anything else.

Grimmy

Banned
duckroll said:
No, you don't understand what I'm saying. The information about what games they released is not part of the statement released. It's something Anoop added for the article as detail. The statement released today has nothing to do with financial results, it is simply an informative release declaring the extraordinary loss of 21 million yen due to the cancellation of 3 games internally. It's not linked to anything else.

OK thanks - that clarifies my question since this isn't a financial results report.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKT66KVZE0720100806

Code:
Aug 6 (Reuters) -                
NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC                
CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS (in billions of yen unless specified)             
                  3 months ended  3 months ended    6 months to     Year to                  
                  Jun 30, 2010    Jun 30, 2009    Sep 30, 2010    Mar 31, 2011               
                  LATEST          YEAR-AGO        H1              LATEST                   
                  RESULTS         RESULTS         FORECAST        FORECAST  
Sales                293 mln         494 mln         686 mln        2.09                   
(-40.6 pct)     (+75.1 pct)                              
 Operating        loss 15 mln     prft 12 mln    loss 125 mln     prft 41 mln
 Recurring        loss 32 mln     prft 20 mln    loss 128 mln     prft 34 mln
 Net              loss 48 mln     prft 12 mln    loss 138 mln     prft 16 mln
 EPS           loss Y2,332.77    prft Y584.95  loss Y6,606.35    prft Y813.18
 EPS                                  Y582.20                                
NOTE - Nippon Ichi Software Inc is the full company name. 
For latest earnings estimates made by Toyo Keizai, please
double click on 3851.TK1.

donny2112

Baron Aloha said:
but I think the PS3 version would definitely sell more. It seems like any games that are on PS3 and Wii (the few that there are) always sell more on the PS3 (going by my memory so I could be wrong about that). Plus I think there would be more of a built in audience on PS3 w/ FFXIII, Star Ocean, Tales of, etc already having seen releases on the system.

This sort of thinking amazes me. Dragon Quest is the "everyone" game. Nintendo thrives on creating and building the market for "everyone" games. Yet, somehow, a system with about half the userbase and much more geared toward hardcore buying (i.e. less mainstream when mainstream is DQ's market) is going to sell more?

Final Fantasy userbase != Dragon Quest userbase (obviously)

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Which is my point, Nintendo isn't doing anything about that because they don't care about 3rd parties on Wii. 3rd parties don't care because Nintendo doesn't care.

Nintendo, as the party holder, holds the cards here, and what people perceive as a "good" title or a "bad" one. And most of the "good" titles on a Nintendo platform aren't GTA4/COD clones.

Nintendo wants it that way, and that's what they got. People are acting like 3rd parties should have forced the "core" consumers over to Wii, but my whole point is that it isn't the 3rd parties problem, it's the platform holders problem.

EDIT: Seriously, what the fuck is up with the disparity between Dengeki's, Famitsu's, and MC's estimates for Sony hardware for the last month.
Nintendo expected third parties to jump on the Wii bandwagon naturally, but it didn't work out. To think they don't care about third party support at all is pretty naive. No one is expecting third parties to force core gamers to the Wii, rather they expect them to take advantage of the userbase. I don't get the whole blame solely on Nintendo or third parties, its a two way street.

Kinda hard to lure generic shooter club when there's no generic shooter on the Wii of consistent quality and release.

Edit: oh and we're in a Japanese sales thread, I don't think a lack of FPS is the problem.

duckroll

Here's the first quarter breakdown in their results:

Consumer Gaming division (N1 & NISA): Sales of 269.754 million yen, operating profit of 32.024 million yen.

Mobile division: Sales of 8.054 million yen, operating profit of 3.791 million yen.

Amusement division (arcades): Sales of 9.811 million yen, operating loss of 2.852 million yen.

Others (online shop, licensing, NISA's anime division, etc): Sales of 6.351 million yen, operating loss of 1.654 million yen.

Overall management: Operational costs of 47.157 million yen, operating loss of 15.848 million yen.

BishopLamont said:
Nintendo expected third parties to jump on the Wii bandwagon naturally, but it didn't work out. To think they don't care about third party support at all is pretty naive. No one is expecting third parties to force core gamers to the Wii, rather they expect them to take advantage of the userbase. I don't get the whole blame solely on Nintendo or third parties, its a two way street.

Kinda hard to lure generic shooter club when there's no generic shooter on the Wii of consistent quality and release.

Edit: oh and we're in a Japanese sales thread, I don't think a lack of FPS is the problem.

Which is pretty much not caring, right? They didn't actively pursue anyone, they just crossed their fingers.

farnham

Banned
BladeoftheImmortal said:
Which is pretty much not caring, right? They didn't actively pursue anyone, they just crossed their fingers.
well they assumed that the highest installbase would draw in at least someone as usually people try to attract the highest userbase that is possible. this wasnt the case though to some reason.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Third parties had made clear that they weren't going to jump in without a significant userbase over the past two generations, and that had been their (very logical) reason for avoiding N64 and NGC. Nintendo delivered on that with the Wii, but 3rd parties still didn't follow.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
MH3 and DQ X. Once again, they do care, but not enough to throw huge chunks of money when most developers don't want to develop for the Wii. They gambled on third parties to flock to the Wii like the DS, they lost, doesn't mean they don't care.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
farnham said:
well they assumed that the highest installbase would draw in at least someone as usually people try to attract the highest userbase that is possible. this wasnt the case though to some reason.
Because on previous consoles that highest install base was created from sales to people anticipating third party titles on the platform (FF, MGS, RE, etc). Wii's unique hardware alone carried its sales far further than DS' ever did.

farnham

Banned
Sage00 said:
Because on previous consoles that highest install base was created from sales to people anticipating third party titles on the platform (FF, MGS, RE, etc). Wii's unique hardware alone carried its sales far further than DS' ever did.
yeah but that doesnt preclude anyone from trying to adapt and make games that would suit the new audiences like level 5 did with layton for example.

BMF said:
Third parties had made clear that they weren't going to jump in without a significant userbase over the past two generations, and that had been their (very logical) reason for avoiding N64 and NGC. Nintendo delivered on that with the Wii, but 3rd parties still didn't follow.

The only reason N64 had such low 3rd parties to begin with is because Sony actively pursued them to come over to PS1. It wasn't a magical jump ship, they had to actively get them to want to. That's just something Nintendo has never cared about, honestly.

EDIT: Let me clarify not caring. I know Nintendo cares about 3rd party, but they don't care to actually go out and get them to come to their platforms. They aren't like Sony and MS. They don't give special incentives for exclusives, etc. etc. And that's why they don't have any 3rd party support for Wii because they just don't "care" to have that kind of support.

duckroll

BladeoftheImmortal said:
They don't give special incentives for exclusives, etc. etc. And that's why they don't have any 3rd party support for Wii because they just don't "care" to have that kind of support.

Do we *really* know this for a fact, or is it just more random speculation? Considering how Nintendo has treated third parties like Level 5, Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, and Koei, I don't know if we can really say that this is true.

Nintendo made as big a deal about Tales of Graces as Microsoft did about Tales of Vesperia. They made it very clear that Tales of Graces and Sengoku Musou 3 were both very important third party titles exclusive to their platform. Whether they did anything else behind closed doors is questionable, but they certainly give exclusives like this special attention.

Other examples include FF3 DS, DQIX, Monster Hunter Tri, the Layton franchise, etc. Not only does Nintendo give major exclusive titles on their system extra exposure just like Sony and MS do, but they even go the extra mile of working to publishing them in the US if they feel they can help it reach a wider audience. DQIX is a great example of this.

I don't buy the "Nintendo doesn't really care and sits back and does nothing while other first parties money hat away" argument. Nintendo definitely cares, maybe they're not doing enough, but they're definitely trying.

If Nintendo did not "care" about third parties, they would not have specifically gone to certain big developers throughout Japan, and given them an exclusive look at the 3DS beforehand. They would have just announced the system and pushed it with their own first party games and let third parties work it out later. They obviously cared a great deal to have a strong third party showing at the announcement, which shows they're starting to try harder at this.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
The only reason N64 had such low 3rd parties to begin with is because Sony actively pursued them to come over to PS1. It wasn't a magical jump ship, they had to actively get them to want to. That's just something Nintendo has never cared about, honestly.

EDIT: Let me clarify not caring. I know Nintendo cares about 3rd party, but they don't care to actually go out and get them to come to their platforms. They aren't like Sony and MS. They don't give special incentives for exclusives, etc. etc. And that's why they don't have any 3rd party support for Wii because they just don't "care" to have that kind of support.
There's more reasons why the third parties flocked to the PS1 then just Sony persuing them. A good ecosystem for a platform changes every generation, this one happened to be online and HD, something the Wii comparatively falters at.

I agree with duckroll. Nintendo definitely care (not sure why they wouldn't to begin with) but the Wii definitely had things working in favor against it since the start that isn't that easily fixed. Getting MH3 and DQ X among other games is definitely a push, but IMO the real test is if they can achieve what they're doing with the 3DS for their next console, and get third parties behind it from the start, and cooperate so they don't have a problem with it.

AniHawk

farnham said:

Well, I think Sega got on board pretty firmly. I'd say they're their biggest supporter considering the amount of exclusive games and the variety among them.

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well, I think Sega got on board pretty firmly. I'd say they're their biggest supporter considering the amount of exclusive games and the variety among them.
well they also had a lot of success on the wii

sonic sold well, house of the dead sold well

sonic and mario sold off the roof

farnham

Banned
so does anybody think that the next nintendo homeconsole is going to be looked as the default winner by the thirdparties or will it get shunned from the start similar to the wii ?

farnham said:
so does anybody think that the next nintendo homeconsole is going to be looked as the default winner by the thirdparties or will it get shunned from the start similar to the wii ?
Have to see how the 3DS does.

Spiegel

farnham said:

It's hard to say considering the Wii is going to end the generation with worse and even inexistent japanese third party support compared to the start of the generation.

It could go both ways but I've got the impression that third parties will not change their mentality so Nintendo will have to make a monstrous effort to get them on board.

BishopLamont said:
Have to see how the 3DS does.

This, but also remember that the 3DS's competition isn't going to be as dangerous to it as Nintendo's next console vs. the PS4/Xbox 720 (or whatever). They're gonna have to go more aggressively from the start, possibly even more than the 3DS...

Edit: I think it'll be better the next time around though.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
farnham said:
It's definitively going to be supported in a better fashion compared to the Wii. The Wii demonstrated that Nintendo are still relevant in the home console market.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How can we measure the amount of 3rd party support the next nintendo homeconsole will get when we dont know anything about it ?

iidesuyo

MH3 and DQIX came/will come way too late (but in the case of MH3, it should be said that the Monster Hunter hype didn't get started until 2007).

The SNES had Street Fighter II as an exclusive very early in its life cycle (and SFII was HUGE back then!), and besides that the Mega Drive was never loved by the Japanese so Nintendo had no true competition.

The PS1 had Ridge Racer, WipeOut and Resident Evil very early, new IPs everyone talked about. FFVII nailed the N64's coffin in Japan (did Sony actually give any incentives to Square back then?).

The first 18-24 months are the time where the future of a system is paved. Nintendo wasted that time with the Wii, they just watched instead of securing high profile Third Party games.

Top Bottom