• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 1-7, 2009

Jokeropia said:
If cost in relation to potential sales were all to be considered, everyone should just make DS games.

...why do you say this as if it's an obviously absurd statement instead of an accurate description of the Japanese software market?

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure Gundam One Year War was the first MAJOR price collapse meme release, and it's definitely older than IAWW! :lol
This One Year War? Numbers look pretty great on the face of it, but it was heavily overshipped or particularly expensive to make?
2147+-+Mobile+Suit+Gundam%3A+The+One+Year+War+-+PS2

charlequin said:
True, but right now the Japanese console industry is like a sprinting team made up of Usain Bolt with a twisted ankle, a reanimated Jesse Owens, and a hobo someone found behind the Olympic Stadium.
charlequin said:
Third parties found themselves pulling up to a buffet of rotten food mixed with, like, scorpions this generation.
As a fan of crazy analogies, you are delivering today! :lol

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not taking into account factors of genre, upcoming competition, etc. I just looked for some loose matches to KHDS's first two weeks of sales. Pretty wide range of results as to where they stop, buuut I think it's a safe guess that it won't be like the two exceptions at top (Mario Party 8, Animal Crossing City Folk).
So I showed this result from the old trajectory matcher earlier. Though it never got really integrated into Garaph as a whole, I figured it was at least finally time to make it a bit more useable. I mean, without any boxes to input requests everything had to be put in through the URL, and today it had been so long since I'd used it that I had to go back into the code and see what was necessary. SO time for a change. Since at one time it had been requested to be able to specify whether one wanted results from a particular platform or publisher, behind the scenes the trajectory matcher had a lot in common with the regular game search, which itself has been improved a lot in the last year. So this new version of the trajectory matcher is basically a mashup of the regular game search and the old trajectory masher, with a few appropriate additions and subtractions.

Now it's... really pretty nice. Still don't see a good way to integrate it into each game's listing without choosing some very arbitrary numbers to count as "close" for the default link, but maybe this one will at least be worth a promotion to the front page.

Running a few tests I think I'm getting the same results on old and new, but as usual tell me if something seems screwed up.

Here's the link for the same query as the one I quoted. Or as another simple example, here are games that sold less than 100K their first week and went on to pass a million. Or here are Gundam games with first weeks over 200K.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DSi 38,783
PSP 29,070
Wii 17,177
PS3 10,173
Xbox 360 6,625
DS Lite 5,664
PS2 4,096

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
DSi 38,783
PSP 29,070
Wii 17,177
PS3 10,173
Xbox 360 6,625
DS Lite 5,664
PS2 4,096
I could have sworn that there was a time last year when PSP weekly sales were higher than all of these platforms combined, not to mention the DS.

Am I hallucinating or did that actually happen?

schuelma said:
DSi 38,783
PSP 29,070
Wii 17,177
PS3 10,173
Xbox 360 6,625
DS Lite 5,664
PS2 4,096
Man... those numbers really do suck. If this goes on much longer, Wii will end up sub-14K and the PS3 will go UNDER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!! again.

Except this time, it won't be so funny.

Also, in an ideal world, the DSi number would be 138,783 :(

EDIT: Combined total for all platforms is 111,588. There was a time when the DS would eat that number for breakfast. Fortunately, the DSi is still outselling all the console sales combined.

jeremy1456

Nirolak said:
I could have sworn that there was a time last year when PSP weekly sales were higher than all of these platforms combined, not to mention the DS.

PSP was doing that well for a while thanks mostly in part to Monster Hunter Portable.

They've run out of ways to repackage Monster Hunter Portable 2 though.

schuelma

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Man... those numbers really do suck. If this goes on much longer, Wii will end up sub-14K and the PS3 will go UNDER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!! again.

Wii has some relief coming soon. PS3..not so much.

schuelma

What is the next big release? Please tell me it isn't FFXIII.

Ummm...uhhh...nothing on the scale of Yakuza 3 or RE5 is even announced for 2009.

So yeah..if it indeed comes at the end of the year, FFXIII is next.

Nirolak said:

Depends which tracker you go with.

Week of 2008-03-24

Media Create
Other: 130,750
PSP: 129,986

Famitsu
PSP: 139,345
Other: 131,247

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
Depends which tracker you go with.

Week of 2008-03-24

Media Create
Other: 130,750
PSP: 129,986

Famitsu
PSP: 139,345
Other: 131,247
Oh no, I meant that there were singular platforms last year outselling every platform this year combined this week including the PSP. Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

EDIT: Combined total for all platforms is 111,588. There was a time when the DS would eat that number for breakfast. Fortunately, the DSi is still outselling all the console sales combined.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Thanks for the information though everybody.

schuelma said:
Ummm...uhhh...nothing on the scale of Yakuza 3 or RE5 is even announced for 2009.

So yeah..if it indeed comes at the end of the year, FFXIII is next.
Surely they announced something hitting '09 at E3?

I'm pretty certain The Last Guardian is a '10 title, but how well have Team ICO's games traditionally done in Japan?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm pretty certain The Last Guardian is a '10 title, but how well have Team ICO's games traditionally done in Japan?
Based on JoshuaJSlone's site:

Ico: 85,005
Shadow of the Colossus: 190,916

Doesn't seem like it will help much really...

Tenbatsu

I guess next month we will see that numbers again. Its been a WHILE we see shop queue.

MechaX

bmf said:
I was just pulling a few notable series out of my hat. It wasn't meant to be comprehensive. I should have included Pokemon, and possibly not included Tales and Megami Tensei. I was under the impression that those two still sold rather well, but then again, I've never played a Tales or Megami Tensei game.

Side Question: On the Tales side of the fence, didn't Radiant Mythology 2 outsell everything that was released after Abyss under one week?

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
This One Year War? Numbers look pretty great on the face of it, but it was heavily overshipped or particularly expensive to make?
2147+-+Mobile+Suit+Gundam%3A+The+One+Year+War+-+PS2

I don't think it was particularly expensive to make, but it was a major collaboration between Bandai's Gundam branding, and Namco's "action game design expertise" and was expected to go well over a million copies. They hyped the living shit out of it, and overshipped by a TON. The game itself isn't bad at all, but when fans discovered the game was really only a 5 hour affair, it flooded back into used stores, and it resulted in a HUGE price collapse. Not only could the game be gotten for dirt cheap in Japan itself, but even on Play-Asia, it was available for quite a while for 5-10 bucks! :D

gkryhewy

Wii has actually been bouncing back a bit... was in the 13-14k range for about a month, wasn't it?

Vinnk

Action Jackson said:
Blame the 3rd parties, blame the retailers, we are running out of people to lay the blame on.

So who do you blame? Who is left?

I propose the fiollowing for future blame:

1. Nintendo - They should be doing more to help the third parties. In fact they should make games FOR the thrid parties. From what I learned from GAF, 3rd parties can't succeed on the Wii by themselves.

2. The Japanese education system - Kids are too dumb to read all the kanji in RPGs and stick to party games which require no reading skills.

3. Final Fantasy Advent Children Blu-Ray - This movie is so good that Japanese people no longer need to play games. Or anything else. They can just keep re-watching this.

4. Global Warming

schuelma said:
DSi 38,783
PSP 29,070
Wii 17,177
PS3 10,173
Xbox 360 6,625
DS Lite 5,664
PS2 4,096

Run hobo run!

Nirolak said:
Based on JoshuaJSlone's site:

Ico: 85,005
Shadow of the Colossus: 190,916

Doesn't seem like it will help much really...
I automatically searched the same before seeing your post, and I think things are at least a bit better. Ico looks like one of those late bloomers that was aided by budget rereleases. SotC had a bit of help from a budget rerelease, too, but not as much.

2001 Ico: 85,005 through late 2002
2002 Ico budget rerelease: 8,802 its first week; we don't know how it did thereafter since we don't have 2002/2003 Top 500.
2004 Ico budget rererelease: 90,501 through the end of 2005

2005 Shadow of the Colossus: 190,916 through the end of 2005
2006 Shadow of the Colossus budget rerelease: 25,726 through the end of 2006

Still, yeah, nowhere near a Yakuza or Resident Evil.
Vinnk said:
1. Nintendo - They should be doing more to help the third parties. In fact they should make games FOR the thrid parties. From what I learned from GAF, 3rd parties can't succeed on the Wii by themselves.
Heh. They get Brownie Brown doing this... but it doesn't seem quite so necessary on GBA and DS.

Cygnus X-1

Even NPD numbers were depressing, outside for the DSi. The crysis is hurting the industry as a whole worse and worse. Nintendo somehow survive because their consoles are all profitables and their long-life games continue to sell, but I don't predict good things for Microsoft and Sony though.

mujun

Gears 2 isn't far off. How much did Gears 1 sell, wasn't it like 70k in total?

What are people's predictions for Gears 2?

Cygnus X-1 said:
The crysis is hurting the industry as a whole worse and worse.

It's not THAT bad a game, and it is getting a console release eventually.

I find it depressing that I have seen a number of people on a number of gaming message boards apparently unaware that spelling crisis that way is incorrect outside of talking about that game :(

stilgar

MrNyarlathotep said:
I find it depressing that I have seen a number of people on a number of gaming message boards apparently unaware that spelling crisis that way is incorrect outside of talking about that game :(

Tsss, he was refering to how PC is about to win the sytem war.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
bmf said:
I was just pulling a few notable series out of my hat. It wasn't meant to be comprehensive. I should have included Pokemon, and possibly not included Tales and Megami Tensei. I was under the impression that those two still sold rather well, but then again, I've never played a Tales or Megami Tensei game.

There are more factors than just genre with the Mario and Kingdom Hearts games. They're based around very large properties that aren't normally associated with RPGs.

Doesnt matter. They are still big properties in the RPG space, or do licenses and spinoffs somehow not count. Does SRW also not count?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

You wouldn't get Japanese dates at E3.

Obviously there's nothing else that can match the scale of FFXIII coming this year..I mean you would rarely get such games across a generation let alone across a year. If GT5 came this year in Japan I guess that'd be another 'big' game.

In terms of 'something' else..there are other smaller RPGs announced that I presume are coming this year..but really you have to look toward PS3 Slim/price-drops/FFXIII in the latter part of the year if looking for substantial stimulus.

Looking at these numbers and NPD I'm starting to wonder though if PS3 is the only system that needs some kind of 'relaunch' this year. Numbers all round in both territories are pretty awful..though maybe that's just the quietness of summer months.

ksamedi

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (06/11)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1244735841/42 (Famitsu First Day Sales Poster)

[NDS] Infinite Space (Sega) - 30,000 (65%)
[WII] Chibi-Robo, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 6,000 (20%)
[PSP] Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke (From Software) - 2,000 (10%)
[WII] Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 1,500 (10%)
[PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Portable (CyberFront) - LE 1,000 (35%)
[NDS] Majo ni Naru (Tryfirst) - 800 (10%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1244168764/869 (Famitsu Weekly TOP30 Poster)

[NDS] Infinite Space (Sega) - 31,000 (67%)
[WII] Chibi-Robo, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 6,000 (23%)
[PSP] Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke (From Software) - 1,900 (11%)
[WII] Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 1,400 (11%)
[PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Portable (CyberFront) - LE 990 (35%)
[NDS] Majo ni Naru (Tryfirst) - 820 (13%)

Seems like a decent start for Infinite space. could crack 50k first week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ksamedi said:
Seems like a decent start for Infinite space. could crack 50k first week.
Not if it doesn't get a second shipment, hopefully it will. It's not a bad start though.

farnham

Banned
bttb said:

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1244735841/42 (Famitsu First Day Sales Poster)

[NDS] Infinite Space (Sega) - 30,000 (65%)
[WII] Chibi-Robo, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 6,000 (20%)
[PSP] Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke (From Software) - 2,000 (10%)
[WII] Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 1,500 (10%)
[PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Portable (CyberFront) - LE 1,000 (35%)
[NDS] Majo ni Naru (Tryfirst) - 800 (10%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1244168764/869 (Famitsu Weekly TOP30 Poster)

[WII] Chibi-Robo, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 6,000 (23%)
[PSP] Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke (From Software) - 1,900 (11%)
[WII] Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes, Wii de Asobu (Nintendo) - 1,400 (11%)
[PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Portable (CyberFront) - LE 990 (35%)
[NDS] Majo ni Naru (Tryfirst) - 820 (13%)

NICE

Tenbatsu said:
Not bad for Infinite Space, and wow at Metroid. No wonder Nintendo stop developing the game themselves.

Eh? This is a budget re-release of a GameCube game that was never a huge seller in Japan in the first place...

Vinnk

bttb said:

Forget ARF, THIS is the big bomb of the month. The first game on Saturn and PSX sold so well (and was considered one of the best Eva games). This is just horrible.

Spiegel

Vinnk said:
Forget ARF, THIS is the big bomb of the month. The first game on Saturn and PSX sold so well (and was considered one of the best Eva games). This is just horrible.

Yeah, we were expecting a lot more from a port of a ps2 game which ended selling 17k after one year.

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=1784

BOMBA

Also, releasing a port of an old Evangelion game the week after a new Evangelion game came out is not the best idea.

EDIT

What?
The game was first released two months ago on psp

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=3497

EDarkness

I had to take a trip into Tokyo today and while I was there, took a little side trip to Akihabara. It's interesting to see the difference from my area, but also the similarities. I don't think anyone really understands how bad the "core" market is on the Wii. Man, it's terrible. I went to a few shops checking to see if any of them had Wii Motion Plus early (no go), but the Wii sections in most stores is small. It also seems a lot of stores filter out all of the fluff and only have the "core" games on display. When you look at it that way, the section is super small. Like my area some stores have the Wii section tucked in the back somewhere and I didn't see people actually looking for games. In contrast, the PSP, 360, PS3 sections are getting a lot of attention. It's kinda sad. Also, there were plenty of copies of ARF out there and I even saw some used...believe it or not. Plenty of copies of Metroid, too. Oh, and I found a lot of used PS3s. There were craploads of them. I was tempted to pick up a FFVII PS3. My wife didn't let me, though. :(

I seriously believe that 3rd parties are to blame for this. Thinking it's the "kiddie" system or a fad just screwed themselves over if they actually wanted to sell software on it in the future. Nintendo can't do this alone and the lack of any real blockbusters shows. Maybe the release of the black Wii and Monster Hunter 3 will start to change things around a bit, but I'm skeptical.

wow, that's very nice. I'd do some comparisons but its so ... special in its own way... that I don't know anything that resembles it.

Horrible for the From Software puzzle PSP game, expected way more.

mujun

mujun said:
Gears 2 isn't far off. How much did Gears 1 sell, wasn't it like 70k in total?

What are people's predictions for Gears 2?

Is my post invisible, or just too pointless to reply on?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mujun said:
Is my post invisible, or just too pointless to reply on?
From Garaph.info:

Gears of War: 68,270
Gears of War (Platinum): 6,211

I'd say it has a shot at 100,000, which is pretty surprising considering it's not that far off from what some of the Xbox 360 JRPGs have sold.

People were making a lot of fun of Microsoft for ending their Japan press conference with Gears of War 2, but honestly it's actually one of their biggest sellers there.

mujun

Nirolak said:
From Garaph.info:

Gears of War: 68,270
Gears of War (Platinum): 6,211

I'd say it has a shot at 100,000, which is pretty surprising considering it's not that far off from what some of the Xbox 360 JRPGs have sold.

People were making a lot of fun of Microsoft for ending their Japan press conference with Gears of War 2, but honestly it's actually one of their biggest sellers there.

Thanks for the response, I would be surprised if it hit 100,000 because as you said that's close to the RPGs. I suppose Magna Carta will do something like 100,000 too.

Hm. If it gets a second shipment it would break 75K or above - maybe even 100K if word of mouth is good.

So, all in all, decent, I'd say.

Top Bottom