• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 22-28, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks like the mid year Famitsu top 100 is out. Anyone translate it yet?

duckroll

Okay I'm pretty sure Sega has been restocking Infinite Space, just in smaller shipments. It went from like a 40k opening week, to 2k the next week. On the third week it climbed up to 5k, and now its at 6k+. Definitely getting restocked, just not in huge amounts, obviously because it's no longer a new game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
So, what, two thousand of them? :lol
Why only about two thousand? :) There are sold over 8.1 million white Wii consoles so far, and over 150k white Wii consoles since Monster Hunter G for the Wii was released. I would guess that there are more than about 2000 MH fans that have picked up a white Wii by now :) Or am i missunderstanding something?

schuelma

donny2112 said:
It's not at GEIMIN.net. Do you see the full mid-year Top 100 online anywhere?

There are scans floating around, but its hard to see everything.

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Why only about two thousand? :) There are sold over 8.1 million white Wii consoles so far, and over 150k white Wii consoles since Monster Hunter G for the Wii was released. I would guess that there are more than about 2000 MH fans that have picked up a white Wii by now :) Or am i missunderstanding something?

I'm being sarcastic. I'm assuming most MH fans would prefer the bundle or the black Wii to the white one. That's all. :lol

donny2112

duckroll said:
You just won a free holiday! :(

I was wondering why he did that.

schuelma,
Can you see how much #100 sold YTD? For the translation for me, it'll probably be easier to wait on GEIMIN.net to put it up, so I can run it through the normal process. Knowing what #100 sold would be good to see how this year stacks up against other years, though. :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:

Damn with DQ9 releasing in 3days ...poor smoker :-/

@topic

so will punch out on wii sell in japan ?

schuelma

donny2112 said:
I was wondering why he did that.

schuelma,
Can you see how much #100 sold YTD? For the translation for me, it'll probably be easier to wait on GEIMIN.net to put it up, so I can run it through the normal process. Knowing what #100 sold would be good to see how this year stacks up against other years, though. :)

I'm back at work now and can't get to it. I think it was around 60K or even lower.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
I'm being sarcastic. I'm assuming most MH fans would prefer the bundle or the black Wii to the white one. That's all. :lol
Ah ok :) I didnt think that you litterally ment that only about 2000 Monster Hunter fans were going to (or had) bought a white Wii console (i forgot to mention this in my previous post here, sorry), but i thought maybe that you were reffering to the 2-3k (i think it was something around 2-3 at least?) Wii hardware bump when Monster Hunter G for the Wii was released or something, that those 2-3k Wii hardware bump were Monster Hunter fans that bought a Wii for MHG Wii :)

But ye, when Monster Hunter 3 gets released, then most Monster Hunter fans might buy the Monster Hunter 3 bundle or a black Wii instead of a white Wii as you say, i agree :)

Speaking of the black Wii, does anyone knows if this is a limited Wii, or will it be sold side by side the white Wii for the next years to come? Also, are there any words on how many Monster Hunter 3 bundles that will be made?

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Speaking of the black Wii, does anyone knows if this is a limited Wii, or will it be sold side by side the white Wii for the next years to come? Also, are there any words on how many Monster Hunter 3 bundles that will be made?

If Nintendo were smart, they'd keep the damn things around till the end of the year. Anything to promote the series on the system.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
:\ How long ban do you get for asking for scans? Or how long do you get banned for posting scans as well? I dont have plans doing this, i am just wondering :)

Out of curiousity, what were the reason that scans were banned at NeoGAF by the way? I remember that they were allowed before.

cw_sasuke said:
Damn with DQ9 releasing in 3days ...poor smoker :-/

@topic

so will punch out on wii sell in japan ?
I guess it is hard to say. I am under the impression that Punch-Out wasnt really that popular back in the Famicom and the Super Famicom days. But maybe that the 2 player mode in Punch-Out!! for the Wii (in addition to the single player campaign) can be a selling point that leads to more sales? :)

Vinci said:
If Nintendo were smart, they'd keep the damn things around till the end of the year. Anything to promote the series on the system.
Ye, i agree, it might indeed be a smart move by Nintendo to keep the black Wii at least around to the end of the year as you say :) With "the serie", do you mean Monster Hunter 3 then by the way?

wrowa said:
So, let's compare the first two weeks of WSR to WS

Wii Sports Resort
First week: 354k
Second week: 153k

Wii Sports
First week: 177k
Second week: 76k
Comparing a launch title's first week sales to a game released halfway through a generation has some logic issues.

donny2112

Vinci said:
Anything to promote the series on the system.

To my understanding, the Black Wii is a new permanent SKU. The MH3 bundle will only be for a limited time, but the Black Wii should be here to stay.

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Ye, i agree, it might indeed be a smart move by Nintendo to keep the black Wii at least around to the end of the year as you say :) With "the serie", do you mean Monster Hunter 3 then by the way?

MH3, yeah. It needs to be huge for them, so they should do everything they can to support its acceptance on the system.

donny2112 said:
To my understanding, the Black Wii is a new permanent SKU. The MH3 bundle will only be for a limited time, but the Black Wii should be here to stay.

I was talking about the bundle, not the black Wii alone.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Probably not in Japan. PSP and PS2 versions were released same day as PS3 and 360 versions in Europe/USA but not in Japan.

It'll be great if all versions are released at the same time worldwide.

Maybe the Wii version will only be a few months delayed in Japan instead of half a year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
MH3, yeah. It needs to be huge for them, so they should do everything they can to support its acceptance on the system.
Ok. Ye, that is true. MH3 for the Wii can be pretty big indeed. I am looking forward to see how much MH3 for the Wii will sell :)

Vinci said:
I was talking about the bundle, not the black Wii alone.
Oh, i thought you ment the black Wii alone, sorry. Ye, i think it would be a smart move by Nintendo to keep the MH3 Wii bundle around at least to the end of the year as you say, i agree :) By the way, i mean i heard something about that 50k MH3 bundles are going to be released, but maybe i am mixing this 50k up with some other console bundle (maybe the Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Complete PS3 bundle)?

EDIT: I added some text.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Comparing a launch title's first week sales to a game released halfway through a generation has some logic issues.

True, but on the flip side, not all sequels perform better than their predecessors. Thus far, Wii Sports Resort is performing better than its predecessor.

Busaiku

BlazBlue actually took quite a heavy drop from last week.
59k last week to 10.5k this week.

I guess it's probably not too out of line compared to other fighters (well, I only checked Street Fighter IV), but it's still pretty crazy to see.

Busaiku said:
BlazBlue actually took quite a heavy drop from last week.
59k last week to 10.5k this week.

I guess it's probably not too out of line compared to other fighters (well, I only checked Street Fighter IV), but it's still pretty crazy to see.

I can't think of any product that has sales as front loaded as non-casual games. It's really pretty crazy how high a percentage of sales come in the first day or two.

wrowa

Mr. Wonderful said:
One just has to know how to analyze the numbers. If you analyze or interpret the games you have to take the circumstances into account, for sure. But I didn't analyze anything, I just compared them - that's all. Since I haven't written anything regarding this matter I would like to know where you see "logic issues".

Spiegel

Saw this at 2ch. I haven't seen the scans but I suppose this is not fake.

Code:
    2008        2009        %
NDS 11,460,000 10,060,000   92%
PSP  5,200,000 4,580,000   88%
Wii   8,300,000 4,350,000   52%
PS3  2,490,000 3,020,000   121%
PS2  3,670,000 1,840,000   50%
360   730,000 1,130,000   155%

Spiegel said:
Saw this at 2ch. I haven't seen the scans but I suppose it's not fake.

Code:
    2008        2009        %
NDS 11,460,000 10,060,000   92%
PSP  5,200,000 4,580,000   88%
Wii   8,300,000 4,350,000   52%
PS3  2,490,000 3,020,000   121%
PS2  3,670,000 1,840,000   50%
360   730,000 1,130,000   155%
A prediction? I'm not entirely sure what this is supposed to be.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Seems to be inline with software percentages that was posted in another thread.

Yeah, they just took the total software for the first half in units and multiplied it by the percentage for each system from the Famitsu scan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jesusraz said:
Quite a massive drop from No.1 to No.5! I wonder how quickly WSR will reach the million mark...Friends Collection is trundling along at a nice, steady pace and should also break a million before the end of the year, I reckon.
Isnt it quite earlier to say it'll pass 1 million

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Isnt it quite earlier to say it'll pass 1 million

I think people were saying it would pass 1 million once its second week of sales were posted. Miis + Animal Crossing on the DS. Do you seriously doubt it'll cross 1 million eventually?

Edit:
You, too?
\/\/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cosmonaut X said:
Just a touch! The game has had a good start and is still performing well, but it's got a hell of a way to go to even sniff 1 million.

Like I mean we heard the same things about Girls Mode and M&L3, and yet those look like they wont make, or if they do it'll be years from their release.

d[-_-]b

Banned
HK-47 said:
Like I mean we heard the same things about Girls Mode and M&L3, and yet those look like they wont make, or if they dont it'll be years from their release.
Yeah... they sure don't look like they had similar weekly sales to WSR... Girls Mode started off at 86k and then dropped to 30k while M&L3 started off at 220k and dropped to 58k.

VerTiGo

Banned
I don't think Wii Sports Resort will start moving a significant amount of hardware, but once Monster Hunter 3 launches and its Black Wii bundle, the two of them are going to make strong appearance in the Top 10 for a long time.

The way I see it, yes, fans of Wii Sports are going to pick it up. Especially the casual player (not us) that probably thinks that Wii Sports is the best the platform has to offer -- still. However, the only way it could bring in new Wii owners is by continuing to show the innovative interface of the Wii to potential owners (and those getting their first exposure to the platform) but now in an even more evolved form. The user installbase of the console is large enough to begin with that it can only get larger with the right titles, and WSR is the right title in that respect, to showcase the motion tech, m+ (but unfortunately no IR play... especiall since that's the main feature of the Wiimote that can actually enhance hardcore experiences for the better).

Monster Hunter, however, I expect to cause a trend very similar to that of FFVII, particularly it's success story in the U.S.. That's going to stir up Wii sales far more than Wii Sports Resort because you're going to have a significant increase in sales coming from new hardcore adopters. In addition to expanding a very large audience of gamers, to the MH brand that may have not played it otherwise. However, that latter prediction I seeing a much more significant note in the U.S.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Like I mean we heard the same things about Girls Mode and M&L3, and yet those look like they wont make, or if they dont it'll be years from their release.

Girl's Mode should (835K last check in early June), but it will be probably over a year after its release, yes. Friend Collection started higher than Girl's Mode (86K - 38K - 34K for GM vs. 100K - 70K - 51K for FC) and hasn't been through a December, yet. And again, it's Animal Crossing with Miis on the DS. This thing will sell over a million. :p

Top Bottom