• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 22-28, 2009

charlequin said:
I think "ever" is a very bad word to throw around in this kind of context.

This sort of thing is too problematic to happen now for pretty much the reasons you state -- technology is still too much of a distinguisher between platforms and therefore anyone with the right supporting software can convincingly say "screw it" to the group and go off their own way.

But I think it's fairly inevitable in the long run: when purely technological advancements slow too much to easily and affordably drive console cycles, the appeal of a standardized platform is going to grow.

As I said before I give it 8 to 12 years until such a thing surfaces. It is inevitable.

bmf said:
I think that Nintendo will agree to a standardized console, as long as they own the standard and get the licensing fees.

I think many people are already assuming that Nintendo will go the way of a Mac if this happens. That saying will Nintendo still do so if they know that they can role in a significant amount of cash far easier if they'd just follow the standard?

I think the standard would just benefit Nintendo in the long game. They just have to disrupt one player instead of many, at which point they become the standard.

bmf said:
I think the standard would just benefit Nintendo in the long game. They just have to disrupt one player instead of many, at which point they become the standard.

I doubt it will work that way, ESPECIALLY in the future.

Spiegel

Famitsu Top Ten

01. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
02. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) / NEW
03. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (SCE) / NEW

04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection)
05. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix)
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
07. [PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono. 2 (Sword & Magic & School 2) (Acquire)
08. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust)
09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
10. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1225699_1796.html

Spiegel

Sinobi

[PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 101k (wow)
[PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (SCE) - 57k
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 153k / 507k

wrowa

Spiegel said:
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 153k / 507k
So, let's compare the first two weeks of WSR to WS

Wii Sports Resort
First week: 354k
Second week: 153k

Wii Sports
First week: 177k
Second week: 76k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nice first week for Project Diva.

WSR..pretty good. I wonder how many copies are floating around after the 1st shipment was almost sold out.

If this standardized platform ever came about, there's no doubt Nintendo will follow suit, unless they're happy with the GC days where profitability is enough for them and not marketshare. Although if Nintendo goes forward from here on out and succeeds to capture even more new blue ocean customers, where going their way would still mean being market leader, then there's no doubt they would do so.

Discussing a one platform future at the moment is useless though, any of the console manufacturers could go their own way in the future, maybe even next-gen should any of them find their own gimmick that catches on. Let's not forget about Apple either and the rise of DD makes things even more unpredictable.

As a side note, I really wish we got DD sales, I get the feeling it'd give us a much clearer picture on the market.

schuelma

14. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 6,200 / 20,000

I can't wait for this to outsell Eldar Saga :lol

Spiegel

Project Diva weekend sales are pretty surprising. I thought it was going to be very frontloaded (like Idolmaster) but it ended selling even more in the weekend

Idolmaster:

First day - 85k
First week - 121k

Project Diva:

First day - 41k
First week - 101k

It's one of the best debuts for a Sega title this gen. Only surpassed by Phantasy Star Portable, both PS3 Yakuzas and Love & Berry DS.

And how can Sega restock a game so quickly on the psp (Phantasy Star, Project Diva) but Infinite Space has taken weeks for a restock?

ksamedi

The Wii bump is probably caused by word of mouth. I suspect it will rise in the following weeks. The more people that own Resort, the more it can spread.

cvxfreak

27. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon) - 3,500 / 5,681,000

Movie bump :lol

Can't believe these people didn't just opt for Platinum instead.

ksamedi said:
The Wii bump is probably caused by word of mouth. I suspect it will rise in the following weeks. The more people that own Resort, the more it can spread.

My comment was more of a remembrance of Monorojo, who used to try and bring up two week trends all the time. I think donny's theory will have more water if it keeps it up next week as well, as of now it's just looking like he is right.

Stopsign said:
My comment was more of a remembrance of Monorojo, who used to try and bring up two week trends all the time. I think donny's theory will have more water if it keeps it up next week as well, as of now it's just looking like he is right.
What was Donny's theory?

schuelma

DefectiveReject said:
What was Donny's theory?

That you'll see a general increase in the baseline of Wii sales rather than a a big bump right away.

duckroll

Spiegel said:
And how can Sega restock a game so quickly on the psp (Phantasy Star, Project Diva) but Infinite Space has taken weeks for a restock?

Maybe because DQIX is taking up all the 2Gbit cards being manufactured this month and next month? Who knows.

Honestly though, even if it has been restocked, it'll be impossible to tell by the weekly charts anymore. The game is over 2 weeks old now, and it's ridiculous to think that a restock will suddenly shoot the game back into the top 10. More likely it'll just continue to sell 4-6k every week until demand is completely gone.

jesusraz

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 06/29 - 07/05

01. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 153,000 / 507,000
04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 51,000 / 221,000
05. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 14,000 / 477,000
10. [NDS] Sloane to MacHale no Nazo no Monogatari (Level 5) - 9,900 / 149,000
13. [NDS] Infinite Space (Mugen Kouro) (Sega) - 6,500 / 55,000
16. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (Gyakuten Kenji) (Capcom) - 5,200 / 273,000
18. [NDS] Tago Akira no Atama no Taisou Dai-1-Shuu: Nazotoki Sekai Isshuu Ryokou (Level 5) - 4,900 / 22,000
19. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 4,500 / 652,000
20. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (Pokemon) - 4,400 / 362,000
21. [WII] EA Sports: Grand Slam Tennis (Electronic Arts) - 4,300 / NEW
24. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco Games) - 4,100 / 582,000
25. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) - 3,700 / 1,120,000
Quite a massive drop from No.1 to No.5! I wonder how quickly WSR will reach the million mark...Friends Collection is trundling along at a nice, steady pace and should also break a million before the end of the year, I reckon.

Not sure what to think of KH: 358/2's sales, to be honest. I expected it to be reach more than ~500,000 quicker than this, but at the same time I didn't expect its sales to drag along at such a nice rate over a prolonged period. When is Birth by Sleep out? Maybe S-E will do some cross-promotion to boost 358 back up when that time arrives.

There are some really good slow burners on that list, such as Sloane & McHale, the Akira Tago puzzle collection, Mario & Luigi and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Are these games getting much promotion or is it more likely word-of-mouth carrying them? I'm hoping w-o-m will help Grand Slam Tennis out, although it could do with stores pressing the point of it being WM+ compatible (unless this is already being done...?).

Can Taiko no Tatsujin eventually dethrone overtake MGS4? Just like its two DS counterparts it certainly doesn't want to go away, that's for sure. A Wii sequel has to be somewhat of a lock for an end-of-year release, or at least an announcement for one will likely come later in the year.

Look at Kirby go! It hasn't featured prominently on the MC chart for a while, but interestingly Famitsu keeps it around the Top 30 mark...

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
Uh oh..is donny's theory going to hold some water??
wut is donnys theory..?

DeaconKnowledge said:
What titles does the Wii have to sustain this (admittedly modest ) bump? Anything besides MH3?

well i guess its MH3 and then mario bros (punch out wont do much i guess) gundam maybe (heard pre orders were quite okay)

schuelma said:
14. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 6,200 / 20,000

I can't wait for this to outsell Eldar Saga :lol

That doesn't even have a set date yet. Battle Stance and Eldar Saga have changed the IP into a Monster Hunter clone, OF COURSE people are going to take interest. :p

But yeah in that case, BS should've sold much more... depending on it's actual shipment totals and advertising, but eh, both BS and ES should be good successes.

Especially ES after MH3 hits. Smart of MMV to wait untill MH3 releases to get that audience to really grow and take more interest in a clone.

Well, here's hoping MMV get's the success they rightfully derserve with these!

jesusraz said:
A Wii sequel has to be somewhat of a lock for an end-of-year release, or at least an announcement for one will likely come later in the year.

Actually a sequel was stealth announced seemingly a couple weeks ago.

schuelma

DeaconKnowledge said:
What titles does the Wii have to sustain this (admittedly modest ) bump? Anything besides MH3?

Short term? Nothing much. MH Tri is August 1, then the next week is SD Gundam (also releasing on PS2), and then nothing of note has been announced for a release date yet.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:

MH3 (w/ black Wii) and NSMB. That's about it. Though they'll individually do more for the system than WSR has.

schuelma

Vinci said:
MH3 (w/ black Wii) and NSMB. That's about it. Though they'll individually do more for the system than WSR has.

Wii Fit + in the Fall as well.

Plus a lot of smaller 3rd party stuff (well, stuff that is still bigger than the majority of 3rd party releases so far on the system :lol ).

schuelma

Vinci said:
Are you expecting it to do something that WSR can't though in terms of sales for the system?

No, but I think it could help maintain whatever new baseline the Wii settles at.

markatisu

schuelma said:
No, but I think it could help maintain whatever new baseline the Wii settles at.

Exactly, the Wii's biggest problem was lack of software. Now you are having basically 3 major releases (4 if you count MH3) spaced properly apart (instead of the Wii Music/AC debacle which left their schedule barren)

WSR lifts things to a certain level, it raises the baseline more with the black release and MH3, then it maints with Wii Fit + (Wii Fit is still selling in the Top 10) and raises again with NSMB Wii

donny2112

Sage00 said:
The Wii bump.. continues to rise? o_O

Famitsu Wii HW (last four weeks):
21,000 <- WSR

I think advertising leading up to WSR has impacted the hardware sales, too. As we've discussed before, the Wii had seemed to be out of the public's mind for a while, due to no really major releases on it and big releases on the other consoles. The advertisements for WSR have probably helped put it back in the public's mind.

Stopsign said:
I think donny's theory will have more water if it keeps it up next week as well,

For reference, here are Famitsu's DS hardware sales around Brain Training. Brain Training's release is the second point and not the spike. The noticeable bump happened the week after Brain Training's release. I think it'll take a few weeks to know if Wii Sports Resort has actually raised the baseline, but at least, it's a good start. :)

fam

As far as other titles to sustain the sales, DS had SD Gundam G Generation the week after Brain Training (It fell fast, so no the baseline increase was not due to Gundam. The spike the following week may have been partly due to it, though), but then nothing really until Gentle Brain Training (Big Brain Academy) six weeks later. For the Wii, it has Punch-Out and a Dragonball game on July 23, but nothing really until then. After that is Monster Hunter 3 on August 1 and then SD Gundam (with a PS2 release :D ) the week after.

markatisu said:
(instead of the Wii Music/AC debacle which left their schedule barren)

To be fair, Nintendo had wanted it to be Wii Music/AC/Wii Sports Resort last Fall, but Motion+ development problems delayed it.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
As far as other titles to sustain the sales, DS had SD Gundam G Generation the week after Brain Training (It fell fast, so no the baseline increase was not due to Gundam. The spike the following week may have been partly due to it, though), but then nothing really until Gentle Brain Training (Big Brain Academy) six weeks later. For the Wii, it has Punch-Out and a Dragonball game on July 23, but nothing really until then. After that is Monster Hunter 3 on August 1 and then SD Gundam (with a PS2 release :D ) the week after.

Do we know how the Dragonball game is expected to do, it looks really well done and the first one I am interested in (I did not really care for any of the last 3 fighting releases)

To be fair, Nintendo had wanted it to be Wii Music/AC/Wii Sports Resort last Fall, but Motion+ development problems delayed it.

But the fact they did not left their schedule of releases WIDE open and helped to cause the downturn in sales we all saw.

Vinci

Danish
markatisu said:
WSR lifts things to a certain level, it raises the baseline more with the black release and MH3, then it maints with Wii Fit + (Wii Fit is still selling in the Top 10) and raises again with NSMB Wii

You think WSR is going to raise the baseline more than MH3? I don't see that. At all. I wouldn't be shocked if it went back down to the previous baseline (whatever it was) within two weeks as if nothing had changed at all.

MH3, however? If it's truly a good game, the online works well, enough of the MH fanbase adopts it at launch to get some word of mouth going around? The system could see enhanced sales the rest of the year, even if it's not as dramatic as what the series did for the PSP.

donny said:

That would've been a much better holiday lineup, no doubt.

donny2112

markatisu said:
Do we know how the Dragonball game is expected to do,

I don't. Kurosaki Ichigo may know where to look on YSO to see if they're doing predictions there, though.

markatisu said:
But the fact they did not left their schedule of releases WIDE open and helped to cause the downturn in sales we all saw.

Yep. It did result in what should be a "better" Wii Sports Resort game (I'm really looking forward to more games, expanded audience and traditional, taking place on the Island :D ), but it may have had a lasting impact on Wii's hardware sales in Japan.

Top Bottom