• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Mar 15-21, 2010

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
spwolf said:
why should Nintendo care? I see no reason.
It's not the new customers that are effected by an empty line-up. They still have several years of backlogged games to buy.

However, the people who already own your consoles are effected deeply. If you buy a console and have all of one or two games you want to buy on it a year, you're generally a lot more likely to go buy a competitor's system and you're a lot less likely to buy the next system from the company.

Even ignoring those customers, the less Wii software that sells, the less licensing fees Nintendo gets.

Ultimately it is hurting their sales as well. While they may be over 2009, their sales absolutely pale in comparison to 2007 and 2008.

30nbxhv.png

The PS3 on the other hand is the highest it has ever been this early in the year. The line-up of third party games it has is a large part of the reason why.

n5ngw2.png

Remember that ultimately, as a publicly traded company, one of Nintendo's main goals is to show growth every year. Being in this kind of position is very bad for them on that front, and I imagine a large part of the reason why we are getting the DS2 this year despite the DS1's still stellar sales overseas.

At the risk of beating a dead horse... it continues to boggle my mind the sheer amount opportunity 3rd parties have squandered in the Wii's lifespan. A company like Capcom could have released one serious flagship Wii exclusive a year and they probably all would have sold like gangbusters, not to mention help prop up tertiary sales of all their ports and spinoffs. What a bizarre generation.

duckroll said:
It just came out this year. In Jan I think. Budget re-releases are slow burners and sell lover the course of a year or two.
Actually came out December last year, but close enough.

The point about budget rereleases being slow burners is true, but it seems doubtful the Yakuza 3 rerelease will perform as well as the PS2 rereleases did. Looking at some old info now, it looks like the Y3 rerelease came almost exactly two years later than the Y2 rerelease, so it's as perfect a timing match as we could hope for. Both affected by the same holiday bumps and competition and whatnot.

Y3+Best

Couldn't say how it's changed in the last two months; that Yakuza 3 Best data is from one January week where it popped into the Top 30.

m.i.s.

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse... it continues to boggle my mind the sheer amount opportunity 3rd parties have squandered in the Wii's lifespan. A company like Capcom could have released one serious flagship Wii exclusive a year and they probably all would have sold like gangbusters, not to mention help prop up tertiary sales of all their ports and spinoffs. What a bizarre generation.

Not that I disagree with you but, you know, just be thankful that Capcom is providing some level of support - which is more than what can be said of others.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
M.I.S. said:
Not that I disagree with you but, you know, just be thankful that Capcom is providing some level of support - which is more than what can be said of others.

Yup

doicare

ksamedi said:
Great prediction once again. Never knew you were so good at it.
:D
obaidr said:
Could you tell us your independent variables and the t-values of the regression coefficients? we could then get that good at guessing as well;)
A good magician never reveals his secrets....he exploits them and makes a butt load of cash instead.
2ptz786.gif

Michan

Regulus Tera said:
Has NSMBW already beaten SMB4:SMW?
It should surpass it next week. The next milestone is Super Mario Bros. 3, with 3.84 million units, then Super Mario Land with 4.18 million, then a long ~1.5 million stretch to NSMB.

Super Mario Bros. sits at the throne with 6.81 million; almost double NSMBW.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Well, because eventually, the bottom will fall out of hardware sales. NSMB Wii is propping them up for the moment, but that will end.

Also, it doesn't seem like good business sense to treat your console like its dead.

And yet here we are with then solely keeping the Wii alive with NSMB

Not sure why we always keep looking to see if something changes, the last few months I kept seeing "Nintendo cannot possibly expect NSMB to hold the Wii" and unless something amazing happens that is what is going on

You would think they learned something from last year, but it appears not I guess

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markatisu said:

Not sure why we always keep looking to see if something changes, the last few months I kept seeing "Nintendo cannot possibly expect NSMB to hold the Wii" and unless something amazing happens that is what is going on

You would think they learned something from last year, but it appears not I guess
While it is holding the Wii on its own, it is ultimately holding the Wii at half its 2007 and 2008 values.

While it is also holding it slightly above 2009, it is also doing that at a lower price.

While it's not nearly as bad as it could be, and is even quite impressive considering the current software situation, I would argue this is far from a great win for Nintendo.

schuelma

markatisu said:

Yes, but eventually the bottom will drop out, and it will happen quickly.

I did not even notice that this week MC was up.
Good numbers for Yakuza 4 . Now question is it's going to have better legs than 3 or everyone that's a Yakuza fan bought this week.

God of War 1 sold very poor (15k iirc)

I tried to find a copy on last August and last December.

After visiting many, many shops, many times, i decided to ask my gf to buy from Amazon.

The day after i noticed a copy in Kawaguchi (Saitama prefecture)... >_<

The Best edition is more common to find, God of War 2 sold a little better. If GoW3 sell around 50-60k LTD i think it could be already a good result

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nirolak said:
So apparently Namco Bandai has decided to start porting their GameCube games to the Wii: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/2...e-new-play-control-business-with-gundam-port/

I guess this is one way to increase their output on the platform...

to be fair to namco, they took their absolute biggest ongoing franchise, stuck 1.5 installments of it on the wii and 2.5 installments of it on the ds, and that shit don't stick. they also released a kajillion installments of their gundam license on every platform, the the two platforms they haven't had success on are the wii and the ds.

not to say there aren't a laundry list of mistakes. i don't buy many namco games and i'm not a fan of tales... i just don't see what they should be putting on the wii that they are putting elsewhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
to be fair to namco, they took their absolute biggest ongoing franchise, stuck 1.5 installments of it on the wii and 2.5 installments of it on the ds, and that shit don't stick. they also released a kajillion installments of their gundam license on every platform, the the two platforms they haven't had success on are the wii and the ds.

not to say there aren't a laundry list of mistakes. i don't buy many namco games and i'm not a fan of tales... i just don't see what they should be putting on the wii that they are putting elsewhere.
Yeah, in retrospect Namco has really tried on the Wii, especially given what else they actually make. I should probably be less harsh on them.

I mean, Tales of Graces did essentially sell the same amount as the Symphonia spinoff, so it seems that no matter how much effort they put into a title, they seem to get the same number of sales. GameCube ports in this case might be the best decision for them.

bttb said:
http://www.twitter.com/htmk73

Hachimaki's anonymous source can no longer provide data leaks. I guess this means the end of the early EB top 50 charts.

I figured as much, as the other source from before when I opened my bookmark of one of the Famitsu Leak posts, it was gone, I figured htmk73 would follow suit. :(

Nirolak said:
Yeah, in retrospect Namco has really tried on the Wii, especially given what else they actually make. I should probably be less harsh on them.

I mean, Tales of Graces did essentially sell the same amount as the Symphonia spinoff, so it seems that no matter how much effort they put into a title, they seem to get the same number of sales. GameCube ports in this case might be the best decision for them.

You gotta remember that in Graces' case, there was far too much against it, from being beside FFXIII to being so bugged a recall was necessary which of course brought a lot of badmouth around against it.

I'm personally certain that sales would've been much higher had it not been for the above.

Stumpokapow said:
They sure stomp all over this game they're rereleasing, though. This seems a very random choice.

1773+-+SD+Gundam+Gashapon+Wars+-+GCN

That actually seems to have been the worst performing of their 3 GCN Gundam games, too.

I actually have SD Gundam Gashapon Wars for the Gamecube. Not a bad game, but that's a really strange choice for a Wii port.

Gundam sells best on Sony platforms and it probably helps that Sony has been funding a lot of Gundam related ventures lately.

kassatsu

Banned
Famitsu Best 10 Vol 5 was put up on JPSN last night. New data (Game Archives wasn't reported in Vol 4)

Games

01. / 00. [PSP] Hot Shots Tennis Portable
02. / 00. [PSP] Classic Dungeon
03. / 00. [PS3] Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
04. / 00. [PSP] Patchwork Heroes
05. / 00. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 4: Ichinen Sensou
06. / 00. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 4
07. / 02. [PSP] SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3
08. / 00. [PSP] BLAZBLUE Portable
09. / 00. [PSP] Power Pro Success Legends
10. / 03. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4

Game Archives

01. / 01. Final Fantasy 7 International
02. / 02. Final Fantasy 8
03. / 00. Thunderforce V Perfect System
04. / 04. Resident Evil 3
05. / 00. Tokimeki no Houkago: Ne Quiz Show
06. / 07. Xenogears
07. / 06. Final Fantasy Tactics
08. / 00. Black Matrix OO
09. / 08. Metal Gear Solid
10. / 00. Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke

markatisu

Nirolak said:
While it is holding the Wii on its own, it is ultimately holding the Wii at half its 2007 and 2008 values.

While it is also holding it slightly above 2009, it is also doing that at a lower price.

While it's not nearly as bad as it could be, and is even quite impressive considering the current software situation, I would argue this is far from a great win for Nintendo.

I do not think one person here is arguing the decision is great, good, or smart

But it is what it is, if Nintendo truly cared you would think they would have released something instead of watiing patiently for the bottom to drop

Stumpokapow said:

I'm trying to remember who made this argument, but someone suggested that the one namco franchise that they should have put on the Wii that they did not was Katamari. I agree with that, but other than that, I think you're on point.

I will say, I imported Taiko for Wii, and that was quite a full effort, I'm not surprised that it did well. So not ALL of their efforts have gone unrewarded.
just most of them

Orgen

Hero of Legend said:
You gotta remember that in Graces' case, there was far too much against it, from being beside FFXIII to being so bugged a recall was necessary which of course brought a lot of badmouth around against it.

I'm personally certain that sales would've been much higher had it not been for the above.

Still defending Graces sales? Come on...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A Twisty Fluken said:
I'm trying to remember who made this argument, but someone suggested that the one namco franchise that they should have put on the Wii that they did not was Katamari. I agree with that, but other than that, I think you're on point.

The project that eventually became Beautiful Katamari was originally teased as being for Wii/PS3/360. Development snag or calculated business decision?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markatisu said:
I do not think one person here is arguing the decision is great, good, or smart

But it is what it is, if Nintendo truly cared you would think they would have released something instead of watiing patiently for the bottom to drop
They seem to be stacking Fiscal Q1 2011 with a ton of product and game releases (NA/EU DSi XL launch, Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and some less financially notable stuff). I kind of get the feeling that the reason we're not seeing any games right now is because of a combination of development difficulties and a strong urge to show year over year growth for Q1 FY2011, since Nintendo has been having a lot of trouble showing growth lately.

gerg

Nirolak said:
They seem to be stacking Fiscal Q1 2011 with a ton of product and game releases (NA/EU DSi XL launch, Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and some less financially notable stuff). I kind of get the feeling that the reason we're not seeing any games right now is because of a combination of development difficulties and a strong urge to show year over year growth for Q1 FY2011, since Nintendo has been having a lot of trouble showing growth lately.

Nevertheless, that wouldn't really explain their silence regarding games in Japan. I imagine that, at this point, we're looking at late May releases at the least...? Would announcements at their end-of-fiscal-year meeting be able to make that time frame, or would they have to be pushed into June?

That's what's so confusing, I guess: the fact that we have dates for games everywhere except Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gerg said:
Nevertheless, that wouldn't really explain their silence regarding games in Japan. I imagine that, at this point, we're looking at late May releases at the least...? Would announcements at their end-of-fiscal-year meeting be able to make that time frame, or would they have to be pushed into June?

That's what's so confusing, I guess: the fact that we have dates for games everywhere except Japan.
Yeah that is kind of odd. According to their IR page, their fiscal year earnings release is on May 6th, so that seems to be far too late to announce a May release. Usually the results briefing doesn't happen until the day after also, which means they would be making those announcements on a Friday afternoon, which is the opposite of press friendly.

markatisu

gerg said:

Well this is the company that can announce a game just weeks before it ships. I suppose its conceivable they have some monster title lined up that they will just announce and then slam the airwaves and retail with ads.

But it does seem like they have just given up on Japan and figure as long as they are ahead of the PS3 and NSMB is holding steady that is "good enough" for now

donny2112

bttb said:
http://www.twitter.com/htmk73

Hachimaki's anonymous source can no longer provide data leaks. I guess this means the end of the early EB top 50 charts.

I think we did a fairly good job avoiding posting data and linking to it here. The comments section on the site exploded after the first posting, though. Hopefully something else will come up, even if it's just the outside Top 30 new releases. :(

Thanks for the update, bttb! :)

schuelma

gerg said:

Yeah. Galaxy 2 is coming out May 23rd in the U.S You would think that would be released at the same time in Japan or even earlier as was Galaxy 1. Not to mention Metroid is dated for June, and Xenoblade is supposedly slated for Spring and doesn't have a release date.

The silence from Nintendo in Japan right now is just baffling.

noobie

Banned
No hardware numbers yet.? i think they released a report of like 70% jump in PS3 hardware due to torne i think.. so it is going to be above Wii this week certainly... wot abt others?

schuelma

dolemite said:
Looks like the PS3 crushed the competition badly this week.

I don't know if "crushed" is the right term, but yes it had a good week, as expected.

noobie said:
No hardware numbers yet.? i think they released a report of like 70% jump in PS3 hardware due to torne i think.. so it is going to be above Wii this week certainly... wot abt others?

From Andriasang.com:

Andria Sang said:
Retail reports from last week's launch suggested great initial success for PlayStation 3's "Torne" DVR kit. ASCII Media Works has come through with solid figures to back up the anecdotal evidence.

According to ASCII, as passed along by Impress Watch, Sony sold 62,000 Torne units over the week of March 15 through March 21. The device was released on the 18th -- a Thursday release, similar to most game software.

The 62,000 figure includes sales of both the Torne kit on its own and as part of a bundle with a special 250 gigabyte PlayStation 3 hardware set. The peripheral version accounted for 75% of sales, with the bundle making up the rest.

Thanks the simultaneous release of Torne and this week's number one game Yakuza 4, PlayStation 3 hardware saw a sales boost of 69.5% over the prior week to 45,000 units. The system topped ASCII's hardware charts for the first time in three months and has now sold a total of 4.95 million units.

This site usually sources Media Create for hardware sales data. Media Create will release its figures on Friday. It often releases numbers for major peripherals and accessories as well, so we may get another indication of Torne's success.

Road

The thread is not even on the 2nd page yet and the amount of times the same PS3/torne thing has been repeated as it had never been mentioned before is amusing.

Sorry for the rant. Now let's have some MC hardware following this post.

spwolf

Road said:
The thread is not even on the 2nd page yet and the amount of times the same PS3/torne thing has been repeated as it had never been mentioned before is amusing.

Sorry for the rant. Now let's have some MC hardware following this post.

thanks... made my day right here :D

Elios83 said:
PS3 50,164
PSP 38,017
Wii 31,101
DSi LL 20,765
DSi 14,256
DS Lite 3,953
Xbox 360 2,419
PS2 1,711
PSP go 1,491

Did the PSPgo actual increase? Monster Hunter effect?

PSP total: 39,508
DS total: 38,974

diddlyD

Banned
has sony even sold all of their initial shipment of the Go? or did they just shut the factory down after the first batch? it's selling so few it's just weird.

nice ps3 numbers though. wonder if the baseline for ps3 will jump up again now with that dvr thing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What does torne do?

Also, PSP very close to the DS is kinda surprising this year.

Top Bottom