• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Mar 22-28, 2010

onken

TreasureHunterG said:
And you better not accuse people without proof.

You told me to not base myself on superficial impressions and yet you're doing exact the same thing and worse. You're calling me xenophobic based on suppositions and not facts. I guess it's you who shouldn't say stuff like that without evidence because accusations like that can hit someone real hard.

Oh shut up, any mistake in interpretation is completely your fault as your original post is worded for only one possible insinuation. Though yeah, you keep on backpedaling.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Old good Media Create threads with arguments.

Next week releases (08/04/10) - Super boring week

[NDS] Zero Kara Kantan Chuugokugo DS (IE Institute)
[NDS] Zero Kara Kantan Kankokugo DS (IE Institute)

[PSP] Judie no Atelier: Guramnat no Renkinjutsu - Toraware no Morito (Gust)
[PSP] Monochrome (CyberFront)

[360] DeathSmiles (Platinum Collection) (Cave)
[360] Mass Effect (Platinum Collection) (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Ninja Blade (Platinum Collection) (From Software)
[360] Prince of Persia (Platinum Collection) (Ubisoft)
[360] Far Cry 2 (Platinum Collection) (Ubisoft)
[360] Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (Platinum Collection) (Ubisoft)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For a Western game to sell very well in Japan, it should require heavy marketing and should probably appeal to almost every age. :p

One of the biggest western games in Japan (that sold more than a million) was Crash Bandicoot IIRC.

Sage00 said:
There's such a large amount of games produced by each side that this argument should slide into relevance, really. Certain western developers have picked up plenty of Japanese influence and vice versa.

That's very true, but imo the differences in approach etc are still pretty big and obvious. I think it's still very easy to tell the difference between Japanese and Western games, even though they're both becoming more generic.

We can keep looking into these inane arguments of why RE4 sold in Japan but Dead Space didn't and picking apart tiny details of art, gameplay, music which end up collapsing when the argument is applied to any other game.

Or we can just accept that the Japanese development cycle over the past 20 years has resulted in a cultivated relationship with magazine publications offering weekly interviews and updates; retailers negotiating exact shipments which, unlike the west, they cannot return so have to know a good deal about what they're getting; and publishers sticking to the rhetoric "if you can't succeed at home you can't succeed anywhere", along with perhaps a bit of personal pride stake in being able to see their product go big (or bomb) around them; and a general disinterest among western publishers who do not see it as a need to succeed in Japan, unlike the reverse, instead choosing to license their game to Japanese Atlus USA-style outfits with next-to-no money, altogether culminating in a situation where by the time the Japanese consumer goes to shop to buy a game, they have no choice but to buy a Japanese game.

Or, you know, we can just go with racism and call it a day as usual.

As I said, I don't really care what the reason behind this is (although this looks like a good summary). I just dislike this "Japanese only by Japanese stuff" argument if it's not supported by numbers, and I can't really believe that people think that GoW is a game that could have been made in Japan.

Even though I don't agree with Mr.treasure hunter, he's getting beat up rather harshly so let me throw some supporting evidence here for him:

http://kotaku.com/5420421/square-enix-president-calls-western-game-label-terribly-discriminatory

Square Enix President Mr.Wada:

""Even now, there have been people in Japan using the label youge- (Western games) with a terribly discriminatory meaning," Wada said in a recent interview on Japanese TV in which he discussed Square Enix and Modern Warfare 2, which it published in Japan. "I'd like them to try it once. If they play it once, they'd realize how incorrect that label is.""

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Even Though I don't agree with Mr.treasure hunter, he's getting beat up rather harshly so let me throw some supporting evidence here for him:

http://kotaku.com/5420421/square-enix-president-calls-western-game-label-terribly-discriminatory

Square Enix President Mr.Wada:

He might be right. I don't even think there's anything wrong with being "xenophobic", it's not like loving and accepting Europeans and their culture ever did people much good :) It's just that this is a serious and complicated question that people shouldn't just bullshit about, and all the particular examples that were brought up were pretty crap.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think that's "good evidence".

That's the company that categorized Tomb Raider and Hitman as an RPG. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Personally I think Capcom is honestly one of the best counterexamples to Treasure Hunter.

The more and more they make their series target the West the worse and worse they've tended to sell in Japan.

Of course, the reason they're doing this is because it's causing their sales to trend upward as a whole, which is exactly the reason you don't see Western developers making games targeted at Japan, and thus never really having their games sell well in that market.

duckroll said:
If the claim that an entire country dislikes buying games developed by western developers, and would gladly buy a game which is in your own words identical in every way but developed by a big Japanese developer is not an accusation of xenophobia, then I would love for you to explain what you actually meant. Come on, try.

A japanese made game from a big japanese company would certainly recieve better press coverage from the japanese media, consequently boosting it's hype. Japanese gamers overall would be better informed about it's release and the big japanese company would certainly put major effort on a marketing campaign on japanese lands. Many japanese gamers not even know what the roman alphabet symbols means, so they can't follow the western news everyday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems GoW had bad media coverage and hyping on Japan.

You're trying to say I'm telling japanese gamers don't buy western games just because it's western. Not true at all, so stop accusing me.

TreasureHunterG said:
A japanese made game from a big japanese company would certainly recieve better press coverage from the japanese media, consequently boosting it's hype. Japanese gamers overall would be better informed about it's release and the big japanese company would certainly put major effort on a marketing campaign on japanese lands. Many japanese gamers not even know what the roman alphabet symbols means, so they can't follow the western news everyday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems GoW had bad media coverage and hyping on Japan.

You're now using other people's arguments that you yourself never thought of. Seriously, this is what you wrote:

If GOW3 were made by a big japanese company (that's why I mentioned Konami, Sega or Capcom), unmodified and exactly the way it is, it would be a major seller there.

Trying to bullshit your way out of this is counterproductive, because you look stupider and stupider the deeper you go into this. You never mentioned marketing or anything else, this is how you started:

Because it's not made from a japanese company. If GOW were made by Capcom, Sega or Konami, it would reach at least 500k sales.

How stupid do you think people are? Seriously?

You're trying to say I'm telling japanese gamers don't buy western games just because it's western. Not true at all, so stop accusing me.

You did say it, at least twice, and now you're trying to wriggle your way out of it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
TreasureHunterG said:
Replace Japan with West and everything you said will be true for western video game market. I don't think GoW had bad media coverage and hyping on Japan.

TreasureHunterG said:
Many japanese gamers not even know what the roman alphabet symbols means.

no

TreasureHunterG said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems GoW had bad media coverage and hyping on Japan.

Again, this can be semi-blamed on the Z-rating(No non-niche Japanese game has ever been z-rated). Z-rated game trailers aren't shown in stores, you are very limited how you can advertise them and 95% of the time they are in their own little "Z-TITLE 18+ ADULTS only section" same percentage of stores won't sell them to minors.*

However, Sony did buy the first TV ads for a z-rated game(due to whatever restrictions though, they were only played in the middle of the night)

1*(If anybody actually cares, i'll dig up the exact percentages from the cero investigation, I'm certain it was above 95% though)

gerg

TreasureHunterG said:
Many japanese gamers not even know what the roman alphabet symbols means, so they can't follow the western news everyday.

wat

English is a mandatory secondary language in Japan. Please don't make misinformed statements.

Nevertheless, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, in that you may not have intended for the implications of your original post.

@Flachmatuch: I think it's possible that TreasureHunterG really did not think that his original statement would be read with the implication that Japanese gamers don't buy Western games exactly because they're Western. The intended inference may be more trivial, but he may still have made it in earnest.

gerg said:
wat

English is a mandatory secondary language in Japan. Please don't make misinformed statements.

Sorry, I was wrong saying that. But doesn't change the fact they don't often follow the western gaming news.

TreasureHunterG said:
Sorry, I was wrong saying that. But doesn't change the fact they don't often follow the western gaming news.

Errr...and why should anyone believe that you know what you're talking about? How much Western gaming news Japanese people read is a rather more complicated question than whether English is taught at schools in Japan, you know?

gerg said:
@Flachmatuch: I think it's possible that TreasureHunterG really did not think that his original statement would be read with the implication that Japanese gamers don't buy Western games exactly because they're Western. The intended inference may be more trivial, but he may still have made it in earnest.

I think he should explain what he really meant in that case, as duckroll wrote at the end of the last page :)

Stink

I believe something that someone on gaf wrote some time ago: Japanese gamers generally don't bother with Western-developed titles because they are so poorly localised. Because Japanese gamers don't generally bother with Western-developed titles, they don't get a decent localisation budget. Chicken und egg.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Price collapse or not Spirit tracks shows amazing legs after 13 weeks

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 288.282 / 288.282
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 160.604 / 448.886
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 82.748 / 531.634
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 70.610 / 602.244
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 45.546 / 647.790
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 32.104 / 679.894
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 21.647 / 701.541
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 20.698 / 722.239
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 24.720 / 746.959
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 13.730 / 760.689
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 10.602 / 771.291
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 6.951 / 778.242
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 6.048 / 784.290

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 320.940 / 320.940
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 128.501 / 449.441
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 48.188 / 497.629
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 25.805 / 523.434 / 74,60%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 12.848 / 536.282 / 76,40%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 13.864 / 550.146 / 78,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 10.984 / 561.130 / 79,80%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 10.026 / 571.156 / 81,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 13.539 / 584.695 / 82,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 9.358 / 594.053 / 84,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 12.305 / 606.358 / 85,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 11.282 / 617.640 / 87,00%
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 11.599 / 629.239

Possibly it won't reach the first one (LTD = 902.386 from Famitsu 2008 top 500) but it won't be far from it.

gerg

Flachmatuch said:
I think he should explain what he really meant in that case, as duckroll wrote at the end of the last page :)

Well, TresureHunterG did write an adequate explanation of what he may have meant, but then you chastised him for "using other people's arguments that you yourself never thought of".

duckroll said:
And is that really because it's a good action brawler? Or because it is a very high production action game dealing with Greek mythology - something which is very popular in the West. How many Japanese developed games which used Greek mythology has the core story structure have sold extremely well in Japan?

The same can be said of Onimusha. The first two each sold a million in Japan. It sold much less in the US. Is that because US gamers don't like Japanese games now? Or is it simply because a game being deeply rooted in Japanese mythology is less appealing to western gamers?

How did Onimusha sell in the US? I always thought it did good, Yakuza on the other hand sells like ass, but that's more to do with the lack of marketing and effort from Sega than anything else.

Chris1964 said:
There are way more western developed games than you think that have performed well in Japan.

[N64] Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo) - 43.396 / 405.944

[PS1] FIFA: Road to World Cup '98 (Square EA) - 120.429 / 455.759

[PS2] Medal of Honor: Frontline (Square EA) - 27.542 / 171.641

[PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 20.692 / 113.957
[PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Legendary Hits) (Activision) - 16.424 / 122.019
[360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 25.901 / 54.752
[360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Platinum Collection) (Activision) - 9.036 / 27.191
[NDS] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 3.600 / 19.395

[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 117.391 / 222.500
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 60.517 / 72.858

"Make a western game that caters to the japanese crowd that it will sell" is the correct answer. The japanese crowd is ready to accept a western game as Call of Duty 5 shows but will reject the sequels if the original doesn't appeal to it.

I think this is more of a case of "sells well for a western game" rather than sells well, especially your example with COD.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
More western developed games

[NGB] Donkey Kong Land (Nintendo) - / 1.070.000

[N64] Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo) - 65.148 / 653.426

[PS1] Crash Bandicoot: Racing (SCE) - 83.936 / 301.334

[PS2] Crash Bandicoot 4: The Wrath of Cortex (Konami) - 54.969 / 212.541
[PS2] Crash Bandicoot 4: The Wrath of Cortex (Playstation 2 the Best) (Konami) - / 64.653

[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (SCE) - 77.373 / 274.188
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (SCE) - 88.497 / 233.375
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (SCE) - 61.436 / 223.535
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (Playstation 2 the Best) (SCE) - / 18.323

[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 122.058 / 211.240
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom) - / 33.202
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 38.281 / 59.893
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Platinum Collection) (Capcom) - / 6.210

[PS2] FIFA Soccer World Championship (Square EA) - 101.599 / 252.360

[PS1] Tomb Raider 2 (Victor Interactive Software) - 109.142 / 198.101

Chris1964 said:
More western developed games

[NGB] Donkey Kong Land (Nintendo) - / 1.070.000

[N64] Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo) - 65.148 / 653.426

[PS1] Crash Bandicoot: Racing (SCE) - 83.936 / 301.334

[PS2] Crash Bandicoot 4: The Wrath of Cortex (Konami) - 54.969 / 212.541
[PS2] Crash Bandicoot 4: The Wrath of Cortex (Playstation 2 the Best) (Konami) - / 64.653

[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (SCE) - 77.373 / 274.188
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (SCE) - 88.497 / 233.375
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (SCE) - 61.436 / 223.535
[PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (Playstation 2 the Best) (SCE) - / 18.323

[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 122.058 / 211.240
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom) - / 33.202
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) - 38.281 / 59.893
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Platinum Collection) (Capcom) - / 6.210

[PS2] FIFA Soccer World Championship (Square EA) - 101.599 / 252.360

[PS1] Tomb Raider 2 (Victor Interactive Software) - 109.142 / 198.101

Save for Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, those are cases of "sells well for a western game" rather than sells well IMHO.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, wasn't Donkey Kong originally developed by Myamoto before being given to Rare during the SNES, N64 days?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AranhaHunter said:
Save for Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, those are cases of "sells well for a western game" rather than sells well IMHO.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, wasn't Donkey Kong originally developed by Myamoto before being given to Rare during the SNES, N64 days?
Many of these games would place among the top selling PS3 games this generation:

o015w5.png

Vinci

Danish
DR2K said:
The Japanese have a pretty particular taste where as western taste is a little more diversified. Regardless plenty of western based games have done well in Japan, such as GTA, CoD, Halo, etc. . .

I'm not altogether sure that's accurate. Western tastes, by and large, are pretty situated around a couple of genres.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vinci said:
I'm not altogether sure that's accurate. Western tastes, by and large, are pretty situated around a couple of genres.
I have to agree here. I would argue it's the market size that makes it seem like there's more variety.

When a game in a more niche genre goes on to sell a million copies in the West, it seems like it's a huge success, but when you consider that many first/third person shooters go on to sell 6-15+ million copies, it's not unlike when a game in a more niche genre goes on to sell 200,000 copies in Japan.

AranhaHunter said:
That's not saying much...
You do highlight another large issue here. Western developers rarely ever make anything serious for handhelds, which have really become the dominating force in Japan. The best they can really expect to do is get among the top PS3 games at this point, which is admittedly not a very high bar, but the platforms the games come out on is kind of a limiting factor here.

Nirolak said:
You do highlight another large issue here. Western developers rarely ever make anything serious for handhelds, which have really become the dominating force in Japan. The best they can really expect to do is get among the top PS3 games at this point, which is admittedly not a very high bar, but the platforms the games come out on is kind of a limiting factor here.

This is something I can agree with.

Vinci

Danish
Chris1964 said:
Tetris is having its roots at Russia.

[NGB] Tetris (Nintendo) - / 4.230.000

Top selling game of GB. Does it count?

But dude, that's... that's Tetris. If every game were a Tetris, no developers would be going out of business.

faridmon

TreasureHunterG said:
Let me get this straight to you: I'm not trying to expose anyone as xenophobic, so stop putting words in my mouth. It's not what I mean and if I let this impression to you or anyone else, I'm sorry.

It's a fact that western games don't sell as well the japanese games, but if you think I'm saying japanese gamers are xenophobic because of that... I'm sorry, but you miss the point completely.

I'm just angry that a game like GOW3 is getting overlooked there, considering it's quality and what sold here on west, that's all.

I don't remember associating NG/DMC/Bayonetta to GoW anywhere, I'm just wondering why you did it...
while we are on this
stupid
subject
that has nothing to do with MC and on that has nothing to do with the fact that i doesn't have an affcet on whether a title will sell or not
i amalso angry that TWEWY and No More heroes didn't sell over there considering how awsome they are.

TreIII

Heh, go go Hokuto Musou. ^_^

If my insight is correct, Koei has a reliable source to make future Musou games for a good while. Especially since there's still the desire to have two more "episodes" that Nobu Horie wants to be told, but Hara is slated to retire after Souten is done...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This week NSMBW took the second place from Wii Fit and next it will take the first from Wii Sports (Famitsu).

01 [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 176.880 / 3.621.128
02 [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 3.587.755
03 [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 254.009 / 3.555.555
04 [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 171.888 / 2.763.700
05 [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 608.147 / 2.598.444
06 [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 816.198 / 1.912.001
07 [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 353.827 / 1.811.663
08 [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 318.755 / 1.759.983
09 [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 282.389 / 1.354.885
10 [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 303.204 / 1.206.563
11 [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 582.548 / 1.000.282
12 [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 256.341 / 964.414
13 [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai) - 114.610 / 641.599
14 [WII] WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Nintendo) - 63.086 / 635.467
15 [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 67.054 / 594.157
16 [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109
17 [WII] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) - 156.055 / 506.298
18 [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix) - 302.066 / 489.112
19 [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 98.865 / 402.539
20 [WII] Pokemon Battle Revolution (Pokemon Co.) - 60.310 / 352.123

Vinci

Danish
Chris1964 said:
This week NSMBW took the second place from Wii Fit and next it will take the first from Wii Sports (Famitsu).

Just incredible.

Chris1964 said:

That mario rising to heaven gif seems appropriate. The sales power of 2D Mario platformers is simply amazing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
We finally have an official LTD for MH3?

That number is from the top 50 leak we were getting for a while.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 6.810.000
02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 5.767.262
03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) 3.587.755
06. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) 3.550.000

Where do you think NSMB Wii's LTD will make it seat when it's all said and done?

matmanx1

Go Hokuto no Ken! I agree with the manly factor of this week's MC charts and hope to be playing some Fist of the North star in the US soon'ish. (Either that or I'll break down and import it!)

Dash Kappei said:
01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 6.810.000
02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 5.767.262
03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) 3.587.755
06. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) 3.550.000

Where do you think NSMB Wii's LTD will make it seat when it's all said and done?

In between NSMBDS and Super Mario Land.

onken

PS3 50,448
PSP 46,449
Wii 36,849
DSi LL 23,188
DSi 17,376
DS Lite 4,995
Xbox 360 3,002
PSP go 1,874
PS2 1,785

M3d10n

For quite a long time Western games were treated as badly in Japan as 80% of the Japanese developed games are in the west: terrible localization (in some cases only the manual), zero marketing and shoddy distribution.

As for Japanese games selling in the West, people seem to conveniently forget that the Western console industry collapsed once. Nintendo was the one to bring it back up by a meticulously planned NES launch and post-launch support, and the NES was fueled by Japanese-developed games (even if often sanitized for Western audiences). American console game development took several 4 console generations to regain foothold.

However, the Japanese industry never suffered the "crash" and they were more than capable of supplying internal demand. Also, Western games did develop differently than Japanese ones and in some cases they do feel "off" for the Japanese audience.

The Hollywood analogy is spot on in this sense: the entire world is used to watching American-made movies and won't find them weird, but foreign movies (the ones not trying to emulate Hollywood) feel "off" and not as wide-appealing for the American audience. Hence why their re-made versions often are far more successful.

Top Bottom