• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: May 18-24, 2009

donny2112

speculawyer said:
Howard Stern is right . . .

Uh. Fable 2 started off more than twice that. And this is Japan. Wasn't it reported that Xbox software was moved to the, um, less reputable portions of the game stores, anyways?

donny2112 said:
For the Japanese market, I'd think they need something like Dragon Quest Swords 2 with Motion+ to help. There was a distinct lack of mention of anything Dragon Quest at E3 (when Reggie was talking about RPGs on the DS and a long absent game, I thought he was talking about DQIX, for a moment), so maybe they're holding back that kind of info for the Japan conference.

Well, from the conference info so far, I'd say they've got:

• New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • Wii Sports Resort

...aimed straight at helping in the Japanese market, along with - perhaps - Monado, and backed up by the other smaller titles and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

If they have a conference for the Japanese market still to come, I think we can expect more for that particular market, but perhaps stuff that just isn't ready for the West yet or that won't apply there (regional price cuts, colours etc.)

EDIT:

I'd also guess that the Wii Vitality Sensor will be brought more to the fore, with software for that showcased, or more info on plans given.

donny2112

The new PSEye software is about the best thing to happen for Wii third-party development I've seen come from E3. The PSEye is essentially a reverse Wiimote, but the same basic idea of how it works. Here's hoping developers will be more willing to make real games for the dual audience of PS3/Wii than they have been for the Wii.

Also, yeah. :D

The PSP is getting alot of love.

RE, Metal Gear, SC, GT and ofcourse GO, will keep the PSP flirting with the DS until PSP2 comes out with touchscreen (you know it's going to happen with the whole motion controller shenanigan). Hell Sony are even trying to eat into the Mario Kart sales with their own racing game, MS as well.

Just giving two thoughts about how it will affect japan.

Nintendo) No way Wii Sports Resort is making it in June. Watch it fill july even more or even august first week (DQIX, MH3, Tales of Versus, Gundam G Wars...).

Sony) No way PSP Go makes an impact in Japan. 26800Y. That's more than a Wii or a 360. Its more than the PSP1000 value pack was priced at (24800Y). And it doesn't play UMDs. I don't see many people in japan upgrading and at the same time:
-kissing their collection goodbye
-kissing buying both new and used physical games goodbye
-no custom firmware which should also scare pirates (you know at least pirates count towards hardware numbers)

Not going to post other thoughts about E3 so I'll say here I was pleasantly surprised by the three conferences, although Minna no Tennis PSP and Golden Sun DS are my fuck yeah surprises!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Just giving two thoughts about how it will affect japan.

Nintendo) No way Wii Sports Resort is making it in June. Watch it fill july even more or even august first week (DQIX, MH3, Tales of Versus, Gundam G Wars...).

Why would WSR launch last in Japan? It's out on 24/26 July in Europe and the US respectively, and I would be very surprised if it hit Japan after that. Early June looks like a no-go, but I wouldn't be surprised by a late June release announced in the next day or two.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

There are ads running on tv and in subways advertising it as coming this month. Normally I'd agree with you but that seems pretty definite.

schuelma said:
There are ads running on tv and in subways advertising it as coming this month. Normally I'd agree with you but that seems pretty definite.
Well, not that I question Nintendo capabilities to release a game out of nowhere, but really, even seeing it tomorrow in Famitsu's leak for a 6/25 release would be so quite close no one but Nintendo I can see doing, and even if they do its weird as fuck.

It isn't even available for preorder on amazon yet, if its indeed coming in June (last week of course) I guess it must be coming with quite a few extra news that force its announcement to be made at close as possible to release (wii bundle?, wii pricedrop?, wii new colors?, wii motionplus bundles?...).

And yeah, I know it'll be big no matter the date, and it won't need huge preorder campaigns, but its still weird not to have definitive day and price plans less than a month to its release. Since you were here (glad to hear you enjoyed it :)) were retailers also showing ads, posters, trailers, preorders or anything? The littlest bit of info that its coming?

d+pad

It seems pretty obvious (to me) that a final release date for WSR will be announced at the NOJ event following E3 (taking place in Japan).

If the release date is the last week of June, that's plenty of time to let people know about it. WSR isn't going to shoot it's load the first week anyway - it'll definitely be a title that sells for a good while (if past Wii releases are any indication.

Anyway, what I'm really looking forward to seeing is how Japan gobbles up Wii Fit Plus and esp. New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Watch out!

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, not that I question Nintendo capabilities to release a game out of nowhere, but really, even seeing it tomorrow in Famitsu's leak for a 6/25 release would be so quite close no one but Nintendo I can see doing, and even if they do its weird as fuck.

It isn't even available for preorder on amazon yet, if its indeed coming in June (last week of course) I guess it must be coming with quite a few extra news that force its announcement to be made at close as possible to release (wii bundle?, wii pricedrop?, wii new colors?, wii motionplus bundles?...).

And yeah, I know it'll be big no matter the date, and it won't need huge preorder campaigns, but its still weird not to have definitive day and price plans less than a month to its release. Since you were here (glad to hear you enjoyed it :)) were retailers also showing ads, posters, trailers, preorders or anything? The littlest bit of info that its coming?

I completely agree with you and it makes zero sense to me..but the ads were all over- subway, TV, and a paper slip ad at the Bic I went to, all saying June (I don't remember if it was a pre order slip or not- it might have been). In terms of retailers, the only ad I noticed was the paper slip at Bic.

It's mystifying to me, but if they really are releasing it this month I would guess they are doing a full blow out later this week at the supposed E3 conference?

schuelma

So it looks like the Japanese conference is indeed retailer focused:

"The meeting in Japan is much more retailer oriented so they'll be going through all the details specific to when products are launching in Japan. And within that, there really isn't anything new versus what we've announced today. "

From the IGN interview

I'm guessing we'll get the Wii Sports Resort date plus bundle and/or price drop details.

markatisu

schuelma said:
So it looks like the Japanese conference is indeed retailer focused:

"The meeting in Japan is much more retailer oriented so they'll be going through all the details specific to when products are launching in Japan. And within that, there really isn't anything new versus what we've announced today. "

From the IGN interview

I'm guessing we'll get the Wii Sports Resort date plus bundle and/or price drop details.

In that same interview Reggie hints at Miyamoto revealing Pikmin 3 tonight so expect that to come to Japan first since the New Play Pikmins launched there first as well.

Just two titles survive from last week

Famitsu Top10
1. Kingdom Hearts DS
2. Gyakuten Kenji DS
3. Musou 5 Empires PS3
4. Higurashi 3 DS
5. Yuusha 30 PSP

6. Sloane and McHale DS
7. Utawarerumono PSP

8. Lets make a pro baseball team 2 DS
9. HAWX PS3
10. Musou 5 Empires 360

From sinobi:
DSi - 59,000

1. Kingdom Hearts DS - 291,000 (2 days!)
2. Gyakuten Kenji DS - 202,000
3. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires PS3 - 79,000
4. Higurashi 3 DS - ~26k
5. Yuusha 30 PSP - ~26k
10. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires 360 - 17,000

cvxfreak

Ah, I had expected Gyakuten Kenji to come out on top over Kingdom Hearts 258/2 Days. But I also expected it to be fairly close. Gyakuten Kenji will clearly have longer legs, though, especially when it goes budget.

Vinnk said:
Wonder if it moved any hardware. There was no Limited Edition DS right?

There was a special edition:
albeit ugly
kingdom-hearts-358-2-days-nintendo-dsi.jpg

schuelma

Wow at Kingdom Hearts. It was advertised like crazy, but still.

The PSP one could sell a shit ton.

farnham said:
kinda high.. what did KH2 do in its first week..?
From sinobi, first week comparisons:

March 2002: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts" 411k
December 2002: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix" 164k
November 2004: GBA "Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories," 174k
December PS2 "Kingdom Hearts II" 738k
March 2007: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +" 182k
May 2009: DS "Kingdom Hearts 358 / 2 Days" 291k

But its 2 days versus 4 days for the rest (iirc?).

October 2001: GBA "Gyakuten Saiban" approximately 24k
October 2002: GBA "Gyakuten Saiban 2" approximately 52k
January 2004: GBA "Gyakuten Saiban 3" Approximately 77k
September 2005: DS "Gyakuten Saiban" about 50k
October 2006: DS "Gyakuten Saiban 2 Best Price!" About 22k
April 2007: DS "Gyakuten Saiban 4" approximately 240k
August 2007: DS "Gyakuten Saiban 3 Best Price!" About 65k
May 2009: DS "Gyakuten Kenji" of about 202k

Acosta

No way PSP Go makes an impact in Japan.

I think you are wrong. Comparing it price wise with Wii or 360s makes no sense, as it is, this markets puts more value on the portable market and PSP Go offers many attractive features for a portatile (much more portable, lighter and smaller). Many will be interested on it.

Vinnk said:
There was no Limited Edition DS right?
I think both Kingdom Hearts and the Edgeworth game launched with a Special Edition DS with the latter being part of the premium priced Gyakuten Kenji Limited Edition.

Defuser

Acosta said:
I think you are wrong. Comparing it price wise with Wii or 360s makes no sense, as it is, this markets puts more value on the portable market and PSP Go offers many attractive features for a portatile (much more portable, lighter and smaller). Many will be interested on it.
:lol

Japan isn't exactly embracing DD.

[Nintex]

PSP Go will be a complete and utter fail if the Japanese can't download Monster Hunter on it and transfer their save-games day one.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They are slling KD DS at amazon for 7900 Yen..sold out ?

Acosta

Defuser said:
:lol

Japan isn't exactly embracing DD.

In first place, let me tell you that laughing at the arguments of other with no reason it´s really infantile. And about your point, what is exactly mobile gaming? it's not DD? it´s one of the segment with biggest growth in Japanese market and has been for years. I would say they embraced DD way sooner than the rest of the world.

More numbers from sinobi:

DSi - 59,000

3. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires PS3 - 79,000
10. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires 360 - 17,000

4. Higurashi 3 DS - ~26k
5. Yuusha 30 PSP - ~26k

Acosta said:
I'm not comparing them for what they offer but for what the price perception is, PSP launched in 2004 at 20000/25000Y and in 2009 its still 20000 for the same core pack, now a new design comes out at 27000Y (and its not a value pack as far as I know). I question its appeal to the existing userbase to upgrade, unlike with PSP2000 I don't really see the big benefits, in fact I listed the negatives I see. Anyway, I don't think I'm right or you're wrong, its just my opinion that such a pillar isn't going to fly in the japanese market. Could very well be the exact opposite.

Acosta said:

268000 yen interested?

Also, nice sales for KHDS and Gyakuten Kenji!

gkryhewy

Wow, KHDS sales are monstrous. This bodes well for DQIX.

Re: PSP GO, I think the.... questionable design will hurt it in Japan. But what do I know?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I think PSP Go will sell very well for all the wrong reasons. It's cheaper than an iPod touch 16GB so I can see that audience picking it up and supporting the platform like what happened to PSP before MHP2. But people who will not be buying much software is certainly not what Sony should be aiming for (Or maybe they are, considering the ridiculous margins they'll make on the unit alone).

test_account

XP-39C²
Sorry the late replies here.

xero273 said:
Sage00 said:
This is its retail release but it has been on PSN for a long time.
Ah ok, thanks for the info to the both of you, xero273 and Sage00! :)

schuelma said:
Yah I saw the bundle at every store I went to last week.
Welcome back from Japan! :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sony) No way PSP Go makes an impact in Japan. 26800Y. That's more than a Wii or a 360. Its more than the PSP1000 value pack was priced at (24800Y). And it doesn't play UMDs. I don't see many people in japan upgrading and at the same time:
-kissing their collection goodbye
-kissing buying both new and used physical games goodbye
-no custom firmware which should also scare pirates (you know at least pirates count towards hardware numbers)

Not going to post other thoughts about E3 so I'll say here I was pleasantly surprised by the three conferences, although Minna no Tennis PSP and Golden Sun DS are my fuck yeah surprises!
I wonder if the PSP Go will have some effect on the PSP software sales in Japan.

donny2112

test_account said:
I wonder if the PSP Go will have some effect on the PSP software sales in Japan.

Being download-only, it can only make them worse. Of course anytime a game sells less than it "should" at retail, the rallying cry will just be "We don't know the download numbers!" The download numbers will be like European software sales: The great black hole of information.

donny2112 said:
Being download-only, it can only make them worse. Of course anytime a game sells less than it "should" at retail, the rallying cry will just be "We don't know the download numbers!" The download numbers will be like European software sales: The great black hole of information.
Its even present for some of them since SCEJ puts their games already for download on day 1 (and a bit cheaper than the MSRP). They also put up 'the best' re-releases for download.

For example the latest Bleach Heat the Soul did the best first week ever for that series...but since it was downloadable too, how much better it really did?

When we got Famitsu Top500 I also thought about all those titles that get 'the best' re-releases downloadable too (Namaikida, Patapon, Mingol...). How many legit sales are we not seeing those titles do?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Ye, that is true. I wonder if this will apply to alot of PSP games, that many PSP games will end up selling less than they "should" at retail as you say, after that the PSP Go gets released.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
cvxfreak said:
Ah, I had expected Gyakuten Kenji to come out on top over Kingdom Hearts 258/2 Days. But I also expected it to be fairly close. Gyakuten Kenji will clearly have longer legs, though, especially when it goes budget.

Really?

Is Kingdom Hearts that front loaded?

cw_sasuke

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really?

I could see it have legs since its on ds and there seems to be a focus on multiplayer...

Great debut for both Kingdom Hearts and Gyakuten Kenji. It was definitely the week of highly anticipated DS software. Not surprised that 358/2 Days won out, but I wasn't expecting quite such a large number to start with.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really?

Original KH and Chain of Memories GBA about doubled their first weeks. KHII did about 2/3 of its total in its first week.

Though most of those had a number of budget rereleases and "Final Mix" releases and whatnot which would add to the legs if you count them as part of the same.

apotema

KHII didn't have legs because it was released on Christmas, so everyone bought it first week... I expect 700k LTD or more

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
!
They will probably bundle PSP go with GTMobile... You must be joking if you say Japan will not go Crazy for it...

They should release a special 3000 psp too for those that still want to own UMDs to make huge impact in the holidays.

donny2112 said:

But it's true though.....

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
But it's true though.....

Very much so. Just like Europe definitely sells a lot of software. The download numbers can't be ignored, but we also have no way of consistently telling what they are. My concern is that whenever a PSP title doesn't sell what it "should," that the constant refrain will be "Well, we don't know the download numbers, so it could've sold great." Basically, once the PSP Go! is released, no PSP software title will ever bomb again, ever, since we can't get a good handle on all the sales for it. We've already seen it some with GT5P with users saying that it could've sold great as a download title, and we just didn't get the numbers. Very possible, of course, but completely unproveable either way. :/

cw_sasuke

duckroll said:
Yes, like the awesome legs of Phantasy Star 0.
just because a game with multiplayer focus bombed other games cannot ever benefit from it again on ds ?

kswiston

Pretty good sales for the first time in awhile and Media-Create threads are still dead. I blame E3.

Anyhow, good numbers for KH DS. Pretty close to what FFIV DS did first week, and that game ended up with 600k. I expect a similar number for Kingdom Hearts. Makes me wonder how Birth by Sleep will do.

Top Bottom