• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales: May 31-June 6

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:
I had to search to even find this thread. 3DS can't come soon enough. If we don't start getting some exciting numbers soon I might have to actually start PLAYING games to keep myself amused. :: shudder ::

God, thats a scary thought.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Well since there's utterly no info anway:

He's off an on in his correctness but Game-urabanashi man has Xenoblade's first day numbers at around 50,000:

http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/entry-10559648592.html#cbox

Hm. As a first day, that wouldn't be too dreadful, especially given the level of hype and the general health of the platform for this type of title. It would suggest a 75k+ first week though, so I think it would be a struggle to get from there to even 150k before it flared out, unless there's some really good word of mouth and any incentive not to buy used.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Vinnk said:
I had to search to even find this thread. 3DS can't come soon enough. If we don't start getting some exciting numbers soon I might have to actually start PLAYING games to keep myself amused. :: shudder ::
What happened to Vinnk's village stories :O?

Instro

I wonder how many units of Xenoblade were shipped for the first week? 50k sounds pretty solid for a first day sell through.

Bebpo

Banned
Well it'll do better than Soma Bringer and the BK games thankfully.

Still will end up behind even the lowest selling Xenosaga I'm guessing. But with Nintendo's wonderful marketing that was to be expected.

Overall if it does around 100-150k, it'll have done the best it could have done considering the circumstances and will probably show about what Last Story will pull number-wise in the winter.

jyx

I really hope so. I think it sold more in the US, and it is high up on different pre-order charts here in Europe. Sony must be dumb not to follow up on this IP. White knight chronicle. Give me a break!!

mello

Bebpo said:
Well it'll do better than Soma Bringer and the BK games thankfully.

Still will end up behind even the lowest selling Xenosaga I'm guessing. But with Nintendo's wonderful marketing that was to be expected.

Overall if it does around 100-150k, it'll have done the best it could have done considering the circumstances and will probably show about what Last Story will pull number-wise in the winter.

If it breaks 100k it'll be the first Nintendo published new IP developed externally to do it on Wii, in Japan of course. The lowest selling Xenosaga are on the DS it will definitely outsell those, but won't fair well against the PS2 instalments. I don't think it's fair to count Xenosaga Episode I Reload though is it? Last Story has a better chance at succeeding in terms of appeal imo, but I guess we'll have to see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mello said:
If it breaks 100k it'll be the first Nintendo published new IP developed externally to do it on Wii, in Japan of course. The lowest selling Xenosaga are on the DS it will definitely outsell those, but won't fair well against the PS2 instalments. I don't think it's fair to count Xenosaga Episode I Reload though is it? Last Story has a better chance at succeeding in terms of appeal imo, but I guess we'll have to see.
Is the appeal the graphics? Because it's not like Lost Odyssey or ASH set the charts on fire despite having Sakaguchi's name attached to them.

mello

jj984jj said:
Is the appeal the graphics? Because it's not like Lost Odyssey or ASH set the charts on fire despite having Sakaguchi's name attached to them.

No. Appeal in terms of Nintendo's efforts in reaching a wider audience with the project, than Xenoblade would. It's a development collaberation between Nintendo and Mistwalker, and if I recall correctly Mistwalker don't actually have programmers to build the game. Unless Artoon is actually involved, perhaps Nintendo will feel more obligated to invest a more successful approach to selling this as a product they feel is profitable, rather than a mere addition to the portfolio that broke-even. Gooch's vision with the battle system is quite an intriguing too, action elemented real time combat with command input battles, kind of like a Tales game... it's quite sellable by Nintendo's standards.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stumpokapow said:
This is the dullest part of the generation. No major games, the major games that are released are sequels, no hardware movement. Just a snoozer.
You are all wrong. World Cup is the reason for slow Media Create threads.

Next weeks there are many interesting releases and things will heat again.

Road

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Well since there's utterly no info anway:

He's off and on in his correctness but Game-urabanashi man has Xenoblade's first day numbers at around 50,000:

http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/entry-10559648592.html#cbox
There's this on 2ch for 1st day:

[WII] Xenoblade - 52k (64%)
[PS3] GTA:EFLC - 34k (51%)
[NDS] Rockman... - 22k (54%)

Can't tell if it is BS. At this point, though, we're better off waiting for the full week numbers.

farnham said:
are you sure xenoblade is bigger then just cause 2 ?

Xenoblade and GTA Episodes-Liberty City are both bigger than Just Cause 2.

Comgnet:Software Sales

Comgn+Sales_thumb.jpg

Comgnet:pre-Orders

Comgn+Preorders_thumb.jpg

donny2112

Fritz said:
What's Comgnet and how reliable are it's numbers?

They're very reliable ... for their chain of stores. It doesn't usually work to try to extrapolate them to full Japanese numbers, though. Many have tried over the years, and it pretty much just gives a ballpark figure.

Vinnk

d[-_-]b said:
What happened to Vinnk's village stories :O?

It will be back as soon as there is something interesting to report. When new hardware comes along there will be lots to talk about. Unless you guys just want to hear about my baby. She's standing on her own now.

Acosta

Vinnk said:
It will be back as soon as there is something interesting to report. When new hardware comes along there will be lots to talk about. Unless you guys just want to hear about my baby. She's standing on her own now.

Aww, grats man, looking to your stories when 3DS releases.

Vinnk said:

That qualifies as a new hardware report.

donny2112 said:
They're very reliable ... for their chain of stores. It doesn't usually work to try to extrapolate them to full Japanese numbers, though. Many have tried over the years, and it pretty much just gives a ballpark figure.
:lol :lol :lol

You don't know what you're talking about.

Comgnet:pre-Orders (Upon Release)

Usual_thumb.jpg

Nippon Sales Age
It's just one retailer so obviously this isn't exactly a fool proof determiner, especially of more casual titles, but it can show core gamer interest. Basically, if a title doesn't show well on this chart before release, it is usually not going to do well, at least initially. I've found that *on average* for every 200 reservations you get about 100,000 units sold for the week. Obviously it varies from title to title but it is a good starting point.

duckroll

Parmenides said:

Yes, clearly he has no idea what he is talking about, which is why.... you then quoted evidence which supports exactly what he is saying. Wut?

Come on, don't be a douche.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Parmenides said:

Comgnet:pre-Orders (Upon Release)

Usual_thumb.jpg

Nippon Sales Age
You try to extrapolate first week numbers from total preorders before the launch.

72 points for Xenoblade are the preorders. Weekly report for Xenoblade's first week has Xenoblade at 194 points. That's the number you must use if you want to compare comgnet points to Media Create / Famitsy weekly sales, but since that guy from YSO doesn't have an archive for them you can't find how close they are.

Sometimes its close, sometimes it's off. NSMBW for example is obviously sold out at comgnet and out of top 20 but we know that's not the case.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu top 10: 07/06/10-13/06/10

01. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo)
02. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
03. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City (Rockstar Games)
04. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix)
05. [NDS] Mega Man Zero Collection (Capcom)
06. [PS3] Just Cause 2 (Square Enix)
07. [PSP] Fairy Tail: Portable Guild (Konami)
08. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
09. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
10. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami)

Enough with E3, time to return to the present (waiting for 3DS)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:

I've posted this in other threads since yesterday, but the 3DS is going to absolutely destroy everything in its path. PSP and Wii are going to get killed. HD twins might still have a niche for developers..but man, Nintendo brought the thunder yesterday with that 3rd party list.

gkryhewy

schuelma said:
I've posted this in other threads since yesterday, but the 3DS is going to absolutely destroy everything in its path. PSP and Wii are going to get killed. HD twins might still have a niche for developers..but man, Nintendo brought the thunder yesterday with that 3rd party list.

Yes, 3DS is going to absolutely consume Japan, isn't it?

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu top 10: 07/06/10-13/06/10

01. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo)
02. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
03. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City (Rockstar Games)
04. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix)
05. [NDS] Mega Man Zero Collection (Capcom)
06. [PS3] Just Cause 2 (Square Enix)
07. [PSP] Fairy Tail: Portable Guild (Konami)
08. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
09. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
10. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010: Blue Samurai Challenge (Konami)

Wow. I did not expect it to debut at number 1. Mario Galaxy being number 2 is also just so right!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
schuelma said:

Shortages for the next 2 years confirmed ? Shit could get ugly.

gerg

schuelma said:

The one thing that might have bolstered the Wii would have been the Vitality Sensor. It was confirmed several times for E3, right, or am I confusing it with the 3DS? Its absence is really puzzling, although if Nintendo is still interested in releasing it this year I presume there's still time for a blowout at a later date.

schuelma

Mockingbird said:
Japan? More like the entire world. It's going to be so popular that even the Sony Store will start to carry it.

I'm sure it will do great worldwide, but I don't think it will dominate in the U.S in terms of monopolizing development. The HD/PC crowd is still going to gravitate to PS360 and the next gen of home consoles.

In Japan though, I think its basically going to dominate 3rd party development, period.

gkryhewy

Mockingbird said:
Japan? More like the entire world. It's going to be so popular that even the Sony Store will start to carry it.

Yes, it looks like it'll be massive everywhere, but in Japan it has a chance to essentially relegate home consoles to niche status.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
I'm sure it will do great worldwide, but I don't think it will dominate in the U.S in terms of monopolizing development. The HD/PC crowd is still going to gravitate to PS360 and the next gen of home consoles.

In Japan though, I think its basically going to dominate 3rd party development, period.

Yeah, I said it yesterday. Consoles will be even more fucked next generation in Japan.

And now that it doesn't look like there will be competition on the handheld space 3DS will absolutely dominate Japan.

Can't wait to see the top 30 being all 3DS games

schuelma

gerg said:
The one thing that might have bolstered the Wii would have been the Vitality Sensor. It was confirmed several times for E3, right, or am I confusing it with the 3DS? Its absence is really puzzling, although if Nintendo is still interested in releasing it this year I presume there's still time for a blowout at a later date.

I think either 1- its going to be a Japan centric thing and was not appropriate for E3, or 2- its beind held back for Wii2 or whatever.

On a related note, when thinking about the future of home consoles especially in Japan, I really think the only differentiating factor that can make it somewhat competitive with the 3DS is going to be the social aspect which portables can't really match. That and I guess extreme graphic whores will never really get on board with portables.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Funny enough Galaxy 2 is cutting NSMBW legs, not the other way around.
If only this could continue for some more time...

EDIT: Aren't we exaggerating a bit about 3DS?

jman2050

Chris1964 said:

What do you think would be the appropriate response to the superior successor of the most popular gaming system of all time that presumably doesn't cost $600?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chris1964 said:
Full 3rd Party Support from Day 1 and pretty much every big Nintendo Handheld Ip .... erm no + ther eis now psp 2 to be seen. The 3ds should dominate.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:

I dunno..as I see it the DS one weakness was graphically intensive action/adventure type games. They seemingly have gotten 3rd parties in board with those genres right from the beginning. What else is left? Like I said, the consumers and developers who really really love graphics will probably stick with the HD twins, but overall I think 3rd parties are going to stay on the 3DS for the foreseeable future.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jman2050 said:
What do you think would be the appropriate response to the superior successor of the most popular gaming system of all time that presumably doesn't cost $600?
DS was sold out for almost 2 years in Japan with many, many weeks>100k and owns many records. 3DS has a long way to go before we can claim it will at least match DS performance.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
DS was sold out for almost 2 years in Japan with many, many weeks>100k and owns many records. 3DS has a long way to go before we can claim it will at least match DS performance.

I'm really talking about software and 3rd parties, basically overall mindshare in Japan. In that sense I think its domination is going to be more complete than the DS and push home consoles even more to the side than they already were.

Top Bottom