• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create Sales: May 4-10, 2009

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Japanese home console market needs a bailout!

Seriously though, the platform holders need to start doing stuff to make home console performance more consistent. It's sooo up and down with bigger releases and they're just not consistent enough. Need to sort that out.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cosmonaut X said:
Jesus. Wii's lowest week ever? PS3 back to sub-10k levels? Both handhelds down? Software figures are likely to be horrible as well...
Nah, Wii has been below 10k before too.

Hammer24

Banned
Spiegel said:
Sinobi

HARDWARE (Ooooh boy):

Dsi 35k
DSL 4k
PSP 30k
Wii 13k
PS3 9k
360 4k

SOFTWARE:

[PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 6 (SCE) - 41k
[PSP] Growlanser (Atlus) - 30k
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2009 (Konami) - 15k

There...there must be a couple of zeros missing, right?!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gofreak said:
Japanese home console market needs a bailout!

Seriously though, the platform holders need to start doing stuff to make home console performance more consistent. It's sooo up and down with bigger releases and they're just not consistent enough. Need to sort that out.

portable market is down as well. Not as severely, but its definitely trending down.

d[-_-]b

Banned
schuelma said:
No it hasn't
Glad I wasn't imagining it, I was like this would be the first time it's lowest was around 15k right?
Edit seems like 13/14k from looking on garaph.info atleast for this year

mujun said:
what are the numbers from last week?

btw, not sure how much of a difference it makes but there is a bit of panic here over swine flu. kids in kansai have been sent home from school all week. this might have had some impact.

so home consoles sales should have gone up, while handhelds ones should have gone down. no?

(i'm just asking)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
d[-_-]b said:
Glad I wasn't imagining it, I was like this would be the first time it's lowest was around 15k right?

think so

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
Sinobi

HARDWARE (Ooooh boy):

Dsi 35k
DSL 4k
PSP 30k
Wii 13k
PS3 9k
360 4k

So that's 95k total, across 5 systems. This is the single worst week in the 5-system era. (2008-10-06 is very close, depending on rounding on the leaked numbers)

The last week at least this bad was week of 2006-02-06. You can view the worst weeks ever here--there are several dozen worse than this week, however all of them are from times where there have been fewer active systems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh, also, looking at software top 10s and guesstimating the sales not listed (I guessed everything below Growlanser and above Winning Eleven at 20k and the stuff below WE at 12k, so a total of 202k), there are precisely two weeks where the top 10 software sold less during this generation:

2008-09-01 sold about 20k less software in the top 10.

2009-03-30 sold about 3k more than my estimation, but it could be a little less depending on how the rest of the top 10 plays out.

Draft

gofreak said:
Yeah.

They need to make them tiny and build screens into them.

botticus

°°ToMmY°° said:
so home consoles sales should have gone up, while handhelds ones should have gone down. no?

(i'm just asking)
If that were having an impact, everything would be down, since one would be less likely to go to the store at all.

donny2112

mujun said:
btw, not sure how much of a difference it makes but there is a bit of panic here over swine flu. kids in kansai have been sent home from school all week. this might have had some impact.

I'm going to put an arrow for this week that says "Swine Flu." :D

Draft said:
Yeah.

They need to make them tiny and build screens into them.
oYCdfWIGa.png

It's the future.

markatisu

Moor-Angol said:
Sales always drop after Golden Week

the problem is this year Golden Week sales were poor too...

I thought the same thing, with all the "where are gw bumps?" this should not be shocking

When the PS3 next big game? We know the Wii gets WSR soon followed at least by MH3 so that should help keep Wii sales from going sub 10k

mujun

°°ToMmY°° said:

(i'm just asking)

i dont know but there is a possibility that most kids in kansai are stuck at home and their parents are worried about taking care of them when they need to be at work and not buying them anything... maybe?

half the ppl out and about are wearing masks here.

edit : mc 4-10 vs sinobi 11-17

NDS 63,203 | 39,000
PSP 43,009 | 30,000
WII 24,397 | 13,000
PS3 18,483 | 9,000
PS2 5,137 | ?????
360 5,068 | 4,000

sales noob, please dont hurt me if this info is wrong/useless :D

donny2112

plank said:
I don't understand why people here don't know why the sales are so low in japan?

<House>
A guy comes home from work and his wife slaps him. Now, is it due to him coming home late from work for the past two months or the receipt for the furry handcuffs she found in the trash that morning?
</House>

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i think the game industry is probably in the toilets because ichi minister taro aso is wildly popular and he's a big manga fan so most game players are probably buying manga instead (if u know anything about this u know that manga publisher shares skyrocketed when he became ichi-min otaku-sama) sort of like how wii sales spiked when barrack h. obama endorsed it as his official game console &#12393;&#12418; &#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;

apotema

I'm an expert in japanese culture, and I think it is because they haven't released games capable of driving sales

mujun

Stumpokapow said:
i think the game industry is probably in the toilets because ichi minister taro aso is wildly popular and he's a big manga fan so most game players are probably buying manga instead (if u know anything about this u know that manga publisher shares skyrocketed when he became ichi-min otaku-sama) sort of like how wii sales spiked when barrack h. obama endorsed it as his official game console &#12393;&#12418; &#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;

i think its because after reading your post the japanese discovered sarcasm and are totally preoccupied with it now.

&#12393;&#12358;&#12356;&#12383;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3rd parties should have supported the market leader way sooner...but i guess ms strategie paid off...

Zoe

I honestly believe the Swine Flu panic has had an effect, and it will be even worse for this week's numbers. Events are being canceled across the country left and right.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
i think the game industry is probably in the toilets because ichi minister taro aso is wildly popular and he's a big manga fan so most game players are probably buying manga instead (if u know anything about this u know that manga publisher shares skyrocketed when he became ichi-min otaku-sama)

Makes sense. We'll probably see a spike in Anime DVD sales of Manga series for this week, too. Good sleuthing!

Stumpokapow said:
sort of like how wii sales spiked when barrack h. obama endorsed it as his official game console &#12393;&#12418; &#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;

It sold 2 million in November when he won. You're on a roll there, Stumpokapow!

markatisu

Zoe said:
I honestly believe the Swine Flu panic has had an effect, and it will be even worse for this week's numbers. Events are being canceled across the country left and right.

Well Capcom JP has all but pulled out of E3 as they will not allow their exces to leave the country.

Zoe

donny2112 said:
Oh, so it's a nationwide travel restriction thing. Thanks! :)

Yeah, apparently the quarantine is very strict going both ways, so lots of companies are putting holds on all international travel. This is affecting anime conventions as well.

Top Bottom