• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

Terrell

It's a shame that Calling did so poorly, it looks pretty good. this and Fatal Frame being a bomba must mean the horror game genre is pretty much not working out very well.

Terrell said:
It's a shame that Calling did so poorly, it looks pretty good. this and Fatal Frame being a bomba must mean the horror game genre is pretty much not working out very well.

Fatal Frame did well in Japan. Even beat out some of it's prequels.

markatisu

Stopsign said:
Fatal Frame did well in Japan. Even beat out some of it's prequels.

Some? Fatal Frame IV was the highest selling of any FF game

terrell said:

How is Fatal Frame a bomba when the series in its lifetime was mediocre at best? The 4th version on the Wii outsells the previous versions is probably not a bad thing. Of course when Nintendo shelves the series worldwide it certainly helps to kill the genre

Outside of RE, I cannot really think of any horror game that has done anything in quite a long time.

Terrell

markatisu said:
How is Fatal Frame a bomba when the series in its lifetime was mediocre at best? The 4th version on the Wii outsells the previous versions is probably not a bad thing. Of course when Nintendo shelves the series worldwide it certainly helps to kill the genre

Outside of RE, I cannot really think of any horror game that has done anything in quite a long time.
Yeah, saying "it did better than previous games" when the previous games did LAUGHABLE sales isn't helping prove the point, just highlighting a series that's repeatedly tanked.
I'd buy FF4 and Calling, but with FF4 not being released here, it breaks my heart.

And the point still stands... why aren't people buying into the horror game genre? These aren't BAD games!

Oh, and a side-note? Resident Evil is NOT part of the horror genre anymore. RE5 pretty much confirms this to be true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Terrell said:
Yeah, saying "it did better than previous games" when the previous games did LAUGHABLE sales isn't helping prove the point, just highlighting a series that's repeatedly tanked.

Why on earth would a company greenlight three sequels in a series that repeatedly tanks?

And the point still stands... why aren't people buying into the horror game genre? These aren't BAD games!

I'm going to go ahead and place a wager on Calling not being particularly good, but yes the drop-off of horror in Japan is a bit unfortunate.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
Why on earth would a company greenlight three sequels in a series that repeatedly tanks?

It obviously was not getting the green light on the back of the Japanese sales. I would think this to be a fairly basic and non-controversial point.

tenritsu

Banned
My Predictions:

[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 750k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 250k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 290k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 130k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 70k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 50k
[DS] Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver- Continuing massive numbers, :lol

I know that Samurai Warriors 3 number is pretty high but honestly, Nintendo is really getting behind this as a major third-party release so I expect relatively good numbers. It will, if anything else, do much better than Crystal Bearers did.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
It obviously was not getting the green light on the back of the Japanese sales. I would think this to be a fairly basic and non-controversial point.

I find it hard to believe that 50k in Japan is considered an utter bomb and 150k worldwide is considered a success enough to greenlight 3 sequels. It's Tecmo. The games are cheap to make. They probably didn't make gazillions but I'm sure all three performed in accordance with expectations.

Besides, I think if you want to make an argument about the decline of the horror genre, using the example of a series that never really blew the doors off is not a solid one. Silent Hill is probably the only horror franchise that actually a) continued getting new entries, b) stayed in the traditional horror genre, c) declined badly.

tenritsu said:
My Predictions:

[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 750k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 250k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 290k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 130k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 70k
[DS] Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver- Continuing massive numbers, :lol

I know that Samurai Warriors 3 number is pretty high but honestly, Nintendo is really getting behind this as a major third-party release so I expect relatively good numbers. It will, if anything else, do much better than Crystal Bearers did.

I think Samurai Warriors 3 will get some assistance from NSMBW due to the higher attention and sales of the Wii. There is also a bundle with it, a black Wii, and a special black Classic Controller Pro, aka the really popular bundle from Monster Hunter 3 Tri, with SW3 in it's place. It won't set the charts on fire, but I think 130k is completely reasonable.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stopsign said:
I think Samurai Warriors 3 will get some assistance from NSMBW due to the higher attention and sales of the Wii. There is also a bundle with it, a black Wii, and a special black Classic Controller Pro, aka the really popular bundle from Monster Hunter 3 Tri, with SW3 in it's place. It won't set the charts on fire, but I think 130k is completely reasonable.

Yeah and 130K, though at the end of the predictions so far, would still be a significant decline for the series.

130K would probably be on the high end of my personal range, but I think its reasonable.

gerg said:
I really doubt that this will occur.

"I'm really excited for that new 2D Mario game that I can play with all my non-gaming friends and family! No wait, I'm actually really excited for that new, single player traditional RPG by Square-Enix!"

Why wouldn't it? I'm a kid 10-20 years old. I want to buy a new console to play games on. I can get a Wii with Mario or PS3 with Final Fantasy. My parents can't afford both systems. I want to play Final Fantasy more because it's prettier. I ask for a PS3.

You guys are acting like FFXIII and NSMB aren't both GAMES and there aren't a lot of people who want to play BOTH but can only afford ONE system.

vicissitudes said:
Why wouldn't it? I'm a kid 10-20 years old. I want to buy a new console to play games on. I can get a Wii with Mario or PS3 with Final Fantasy. My parents can't afford both systems. I want to play Final Fantasy more because it's prettier. I ask for a PS3.

You can't get good information out of garbage hypotheticals.

Xeke

Banned
Some people actually think NSMB is going to do worse than MH3 first week?:lol

Your parents say, "fuck you costs too much".

jeremy1456

Xeke said:

It's not that far fetched.

Anyone predicting NSMBW not having long legs is dumb though.

EDIT: I meant not instead of now. Fixed it.

Shambles

Xeke said:

Your parents say, "fuck you costs too much".

This post reads from today, but I'm sure it must be a mistake as this is clearly a reply from 2006.

Brofist

gerg said:
I really doubt that this will occur.

"I'm really excited for that new 2D Mario game that I can play with all my non-gaming friends and family! No wait, I'm actually really excited for that new, single player traditional RPG by Square-Enix!"
Or more like "I'm really excited about that new 2D Mario game for Wii, but instead of buying it when it's available I'll wait til the day FFXIII hits, just to stick it to all the PS3 fans"

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
Besides, I think if you want to make an argument about the decline of the horror genre, using the example of a series that never really blew the doors off is not a solid one. Silent Hill is probably the only horror franchise that actually a) continued getting new entries, b) stayed in the traditional horror genre, c) declined badly.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Fatal Frame makes for a poor example in arguing about the decline of the genre. I AM agreeing that it doesn't make much sense to point out that it's the best selling game when the most recent entry, alongside all previous entries, sold utterly piddly amounts.

It's like No More Heroes... the game sold better than prior Grasshopper games in Japan, but it still sold an absolutely pathetic amount of copies. Just like prior Grasshopper games! It's getting a sequel on the basis of stronger western sales, though, which, while still not platinum or anything like that, are strong enough that the cheaply made game became profitable. And I think Fatal Frame is in much the same situation. Or was, before Nintendo entered the picture.

Shambles said:
This post reads from today, but I'm sure it must be a mistake as this is clearly a reply from 2006.

The important thing to remember about Xeke is that he's blown out just about every brain cell on pot and quoting his avatar makes for a proper response to any post.

gkrykewy said:
Yes, because now the two systems have the exact same MSRP.

They're close enough in range now that price is unlikely to be a serious deterrent for most individuals with the interest in buying one, or a significant selling point advantage for the Wii over the PS3... which is why the PS3 has been beating the Wii YTD since the price drops. :)

7Th

jeremy1456 said:
I would be pretty shocked if your average 10 year old gamer even wanted to play Final Fantasy XIII.

Well, it does get weekly "advertising" in Shounen Jump.

tenritsu said:
My Predictions:
You lack Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 12 DS and Tokimeki 4 PSP there, I guess you don't expect them to sell 0 so add them (or face the low ends of the ranking) :p

Just another reminder, 360 Creed 2 isn't in the prediction set, so predict at free will but remember it doesn't count.

jesusraz

markatisu said:
Let's see how the 5th game in the series does...(yes, it is being worked on)

gkryhewy

ethelred said:
They're close enough in range now that price is unlikely to be a serious deterrent for most individuals with the interest in buying one, or a significant selling point advantage for the Wii over the PS3... which is why the PS3 has been beating the Wii YTD since the price drops. :)

Sure, but 10,000 yen is still 10,000 yen. Also, wouldn't that be....PPDTD? :lol

My predictions

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 55k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 290k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 225k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 85k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 820k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 65k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 55k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 40k
[360] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 15k

schuelma

Thanks Captain for taking the time out to do those charts.

kay

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 45000
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 45000
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 225000
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 365000
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 40000
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 925000
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 50000
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 100000

PS3 - 466,891
Wii - 511,113

Parl

Captain Smoker said:
No problem, it's just copy & paste. :p
Would take ages manually, but it's obviously a copy and paste with the redundant "Wii" to the left of every titles. Nice to see an updated list.

Would like one for the other 3 relevant systems and 360 too though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Captain Smoker said:
Captain Smoker I checked your list. Here is what I found comparing it to mine:

Wii - Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii 25.416
Wii - MLB Power Pros 6.784
It's the same game: First number is LTD, second is first week.

Wii - Jinsei Game Wii EX 26.504 - This is Jinsei Game Wii not Jinsei Game Wii EX
Wii - The Game of Life Wii 6.600

You miss and I have
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii EX (Takara Tomy) - 1.400 / 1.400
[WII] Hula Wii: Beauty and Health through Hula! (Milestone) - 540 / 540

Also I miss and you have
Wii - Opoona 3.000
Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! 2.000

Are you sure these two are Famitsu numbers? I have Media Create leaked numbers which are exactly the same.

You have 29 games with more up to date numbers from me with most of them being 2009 titles, so I will get the updated numbers at 2009 top 500. That's why there is difference with the total software. Some of them have big difference with mine but i guess the source you use is trustable.

Chris1964 said:
Captain Smoker I checked your list. Here is what I found comparing it to mine:

Wii - Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii 25.416
Wii - MLB Power Pros 6.784

Wii - Jinsei Game Wii EX 26.504 - This is Jinsei Game Wii not Jinsei Game Wii EX

You miss and I have

Also I miss and you have
Wii - Opoona 3.000
Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! 2.000
Cool, thanks! :D

But if The Game of Life Wii is the same as Jinsei Game Wii EX and the first week is 6.600, why do you have it at 1.400 in the next paragraph? ^^

"Wii - Jinsei Game Wii EX 26.504 - This is Jinsei Game Wii not Jinsei Game Wii EX

You miss and I have
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii EX (Takara Tomy) - 1.400 / 1.400"

Are you sure these two are Famitsu numbers? I have Media Create leaked numbers which are exactly the same.
You're right, these are Media Create numbers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9045946&postcount=1

You have 29 games with more up to date numbers from me with most of them being 2009 titles, so I will get the updated numbers at 2009 top 500. That's why there is difference with the total software. Some of them have big difference with mine but i guess the source you use is trustable.
2chan & that geocities site. :)

And geimin for yearly data. ;)

markatisu

ethelred said:
It's like No More Heroes... the game sold better than prior Grasshopper games in Japan, but it still sold an absolutely pathetic amount of copies. Just like prior Grasshopper games! It's getting a sequel on the basis of stronger western sales, though, which, while still not platinum or anything like that, are strong enough that the cheaply made game became profitable. And I think Fatal Frame is in much the same situation. Or was, before Nintendo

I still do not understand the business logic of shelving the game, to me some profits to the core FF fanbase that held 3 games up should be enough when compared to the $0 its making now by being unreleased.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Captain Smoker said:
But if The Game of Life Wii is the same as Jinsei Game Wii EX and the first week is 6.600, why do you have it at 1.400 in the next paragraph? ^^
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii (Takara Tomy) - 6.628 / 26.504 (27/12/07)
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii EX (Takara Tomy) - 1.400 / 1.400 (13/11/08)

They are two different games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Captain Smoker said:
2chan & that geocities site. :)

And geimin for yearly data. ;)
Don't trust 100% this site. His owner changes some numbers a bit lately so that he can find those who copy from him.

Chris1964 said:
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii (Takara Tomy) - 6.628 / 26.504 (27/12/07)
[WII] Jinsei Game Wii EX (Takara Tomy) - 1.400 / 1.400 (13/11/08)

They are two different games.
Alright, thx! :)

Damn, overlooked the "This is Jinsei Game Wii not Jinsei Game Wii EX" XDD

Don't trust 100% this site. His owner changes some numbers a bit lately so that he can find those who copy from him.
I know. :)

schuelma

I was going to wait one more day, but what the hell..go big or go home.

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 35k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 375k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 240k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 40k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 1.1M
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 110k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) 50k

PS3 Total - 555K
WII Total - 680K

schuelma

Just a reminder- get your predictions in before Wednesday morning!

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
As of the week ending 15/11/09 I have 246 Wii games with the total software being 33.380.600.

Captain Smoker said:
Overview:
No. of titles: 252
Units total: 33.844.060

Wii through Nov. 15 from my database.

247 titles
33.64m

:lol

Chris1964 said:
You miss and I have

Captain Smoker interpreted that game as Fracture for PS3 or 360, I think. I think it's Hula, though. It was a one character game title, IIRC. The lack of a PS3/360 tag to it (and I think Google translated it as "Hula") made me go with the Wii game.

Chris1964 said:
Also I miss and you have
Wii - Opoona 3.000

The Famitsu number is 3200 for the first week.

*insert tenbatsu's tag*

Captain Smoker said:

WII Jinsei Game Wii - 6.6K (26.5K)
WII Jinsei Game Wii EX - 1.4K (-)

Edit:
Beaten. :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:
Wii through Nov. 15 from my database.
247 titles
33.64m
With Opoona we have exactly the same number of games. I have smaller software LTD because I don't update the LTD of a game if I don't know the exact date the update took place. This means no geocities site. And Captain Smoker should have the same number of games after he corrected the errors he had.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The reason for this is the predictions aren't mixed with actual sales. Kurosaki suggested this and I agree with him.

duckroll

Chris1964 said:
The reason for this is the predictions aren't mixed with actual sales. Kurosaki suggested this and I agree with him.

Oh okay, yeah that sounds like a good idea. I think I missed this discussion, so I wasn't sure why the cut off is Wednesday. Makes sense.

So the NSMBwii numbers won't be in the next Media Create will they?

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 40k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 80k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 15k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 1.6m
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 23k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 42k

Takao

Banned
I'm usually not a Sales-Age type of person, but what the hey:

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 33k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 360k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 210k