• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

onken

Totobeni said:
eff you Japan , Bayo need legs , buy more Bayonetta.

and seriously SEGA need to bring back Virtua Striker , look how WE11 and Inazuma Eleven doing , it's clear that there is huge market for football games ( all kind sim , fantasy , strategy ) in Japan now.

Seems like they just have a boner for WE, FIFA sells like shit. In any rate, do you really trust Sega in this day and age to put as much effort into a football game as Konami/EA do?

AniHawk

Doubledex said:

I thought there were some rumblings of disappointed Insomniac employees since Resistance 2 fell by the wayside while Sony treated Guerrilla like their favorite child. It's the Internets and things are often incorrect but it was one of the things I read and wouldn't doubt being true. Ratchet & Clank has similarly fallen by the wayside both years a big retail release came out in favor of the Naughty Dog game. Although every year an Insomniac game comes out alongside a ND game, Sony promotes the ND game more. This year the results seemed way more lopsided than usual.

AniHawk said:
I thought there were some rumblings of disappointed Insomniac employees since Resistance 2 fell by the wayside while Sony treated Guerrilla like their favorite child. It's the Internets and things are often incorrect but it was one of the things I read and wouldn't doubt being true. Ratchet & Clank has similarly fallen by the wayside both years a big retail release came out in favor of the Naughty Dog game. Although every year an Insomniac game comes out alongside a ND game, Sony promotes the ND game more. This year the results seemed way more lopsided than usual.

Insomniac shrunk their potential for Ratchet sales when they moved it from a T-demographic to a more family-oriented audience. In terms of violence and humour, the Future series has been quite a bit more tame than the PS2 titles, and we all know that despite the better gameplay, the more colorful imagery and more cartoony style can certainly make a game go unnoticed by the average gamer these days. R2 was marketed heavily by SCEA for an Insomniac title and it's more than likely that bad word of mouth hurt the sales far more than internet rumours about the two companies being at odds.

AniHawk said:

ND and GG are 1st party to Sony, Insomniac is an independent 3rd party, Sony should correctly treat GG and ND better than Insomniac, Insomniac had their chance but they wanted to stay independent, that comes with the territory. I'm sure EA, Activision, Ubi, etc would have no problem publishing their games if they choose to go MP.

[Nintex]

Somehow this graph reminds me of this scene:

3450je1.jpg

Ya know, shaped like a staircase and all

AniHawk

Pai Pai Master said:
Insomniac shrunk their potential for Ratchet sales when they moved it from a T-demographic to a more family-oriented audience. In terms of violence and humour, the Future series has been quite a bit more tame than the PS2 titles, and we all know that despite the better gameplay, the more colorful imagery and more cartoony style can certainly make a game go unnoticed by the average gamer these days. R2 was marketed heavily by SCEA for an Insomniac title and it's more than likely that bad word of mouth hurt the sales far more than internet rumours about the two companies being at odds.

I don't think Ratchet becoming tamer had anything to do with the series going from selling a million copies with each iteration to barely breaking half that. And look at how far Japanese sales have fallen.

AranhaHunter said:
ND and GG are 1st party to Sony, Insomniac is an independent 3rd party, Sony should correctly treat GG and ND better than Insomniac, Insomniac had their chance but they wanted to stay independent, that comes with the territory. I'm sure EA, Activision, Ubi, etc would have no problem publishing their games if they choose to go MP.

I think it comes down to Sony deciding which franchises are worth saving to them. They backed and still back Media Molecule like crazy despite those guys being third party (unless I missed something). It's kinda like what UbiSoft did when it came to saving Prince of Persia or Beyond Good & Evil. Although I'm not sure you can call what they did to PoP saving it.

onken

AniHawk said:

3rd or 1st party aside, when it comes to sales potential Killzone vs. Resistance 2 and Uncharted 2 vs. Ratchet & Clank ain't much of a choice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
onken said:
3rd or 1st party aside, when it comes to sales potential Killzone vs. Resistance 2 and Uncharted 2 vs. Ratchet & Clank ain't much of a choice.

Killzone 2 is just shy of a million in the US. Resistance 2 is over two thirds of a million. Based on production schedules and team sizes, which do you think was a more profitable endeavor in America?

(Yes, yes, worldwide sales, but we're talking about how Sony positioned Resistance 2 versus how they positioned Killzone 2 in America, and what the payoff was)

obonicus

AniHawk said:
I thought there were some rumblings of disappointed Insomniac employees since Resistance 2 fell by the wayside while Sony treated Guerrilla like their favorite child.

Resistance 2 got a holiday release, KZ2 got pushed into March. It seems as if R2 came out on top in this exchange, KZ2 beta notwithstanding.

ZoddGutts

Resistance 2 had alot of TV ads even had those crazy Japanese TV ads in Japan. And about Ratchet & Clank well nobody gives a fuck about that franchised anymore, even if their still good games it's gotten stale, people have lost interest in that series.

Resistance is good for one more, and thats to finish the story, just go back to the first game in style. Ratchet needs to end. ND no longer make Jak, or at least took a break, and we got Uncharted. Sucker Punch took a break from Sly, and we got inFamous. Both amazing games, lets see what Insomniac can do with a new IP.

But anyway, Japan centric... Wii and PS3 neck and neck, I wonder if Wii will dominate enough with NSMB to offset the obvious surge of PS3 by FFXIII. Coming to the thick of it, its a dead heat.

onken

Stumpokapow said:
Killzone 2 is just shy of a million in the US. Resistance 2 is over two thirds of a million. Based on production schedules and team sizes, which do you think was a more profitable endeavor in America?

(Yes, yes, worldwide sales, but we're talking about how Sony positioned Resistance 2 versus how they positioned Killzone 2 in America, and what the payoff was)

On paper, K2 had much bigger potential. The fact it ended up with disappointing sales is irrelevant.

pseudocaesar said:
Resistance is good for one more, and thats to finish the story, just go back to the first game in style. Ratchet needs to end. ND no longer make Jak, or at least took a break, and we got Uncharted. Sucker Punch took a break from Sly, and we got inFamous. Both amazing games, lets see what Insomniac can do with a new IP.

I agree. R&C has had its day, for better or worse. Time to move on, Insomniac.

Grampasso

Kard8p3 said:
One can only hope that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is still in the top 30 three years after it's release.
Will this bump (46-26) be due to DSiLL or Wii title anticipation? I hope for the latter :D

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Preparations underway.

I think it has more to do with DSiLL's launch, and the DSi not really dropping. One of those was probably new-ish users, and NSMB is the game to get for a new DS buyers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
Desperate to see just how badly Crystal Bearers bombed? ;)

nope, just like having it for completeness sake.

schuelma

JonnyBrad said:
I might have missed it but are there any ideas of preorders/interest in NSMB Wii?

Comgnet, an internet retailer, is showing very strong preorder numbers- significantly outpacing NSMB DS.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Comgnet, an internet retailer, is showing very strong preorder numbers- significantly outpacing NSMB DS.

Are you sure?

Road said:
15 days to release:
New Super Mario Bros. - 160pt
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 120pt

7 days to release:
New Super Mario Bros. - ?
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 465pt

Release date:
New Super Mario Bros. - 688pt
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - ?

I mean, NSMB Wii will probably end higher but unless I missed something we don't have data from 7 days to release for NSMB DS

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Are you sure?

I mean, NSMB Wii will probably end higher but unless I missed something we don't have data from 7 days to release for NSMB DS

Yup. NSMB DS 7 days to release- 289 preorders. NSMB Wii- 465

duckroll

Wow, next week is a massive release week. NSMB Wii, Sengoku Musou 3, PokePark, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Gundam vs Gundam Next, Tokimeki Memorial 4, Assassin's Creed 2, Little Big Planet Portable.

Anyone want to take a stab at predictions first? I'm probably going to hold back until the weekend at least before I forecast. :)

schuelma

duckroll said:
Wow, next week is a massive release week. NSMB Wii, Sengoku Musou 3, PokePark, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Gundam vs Gundam Next, Tokimeki Memorial 4, Assassin's Creed 2, Little Big Planet Portable.

Anyone want to take a stab at predictions first? I'm probably going to hold back until the weekend at least before I forecast. :)

Yeah its really insane. I'm not going to go first, I know that!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AniHawk said:
I thought there were some rumblings of disappointed Insomniac employees since Resistance 2 fell by the wayside while Sony treated Guerrilla like their favorite child.
I've no idea what kind of marketing budgets the titles received, but it seems pretty obvious KZ2 was kicked out of holiday slot to make room for R2, so I doubt it was as onesided as that.
But we don't have a time machine to see what would be the result of reversing marketing budgets and respective time slots (aside for obvious impact on game polish).

Bizzyb

Banned
I think the fact that there are no weapons/armor to collect or stats to upgrade is what ultimately hurt Crystal Bearers.

donny2112

Here's the Top 10 third-party console games in Japan YTD from my Famitsu database through Nov. 15.

1. WII MH3 - 940K / NEW
2. PS3 Yakuza 3 - 499K / NEW
3. PS3 RE5 - 482K / NEW
4. WII Taiko Wii - 353K / 604K
5. PS3 ToV - 312K / NEW
6. PS3 WE 2010 - 283K / NEW
7. WII MHG - 236K / NEW
8. PS3 Mosou Orochi Z - 218K / NEW
9. PS3 Gundam Senki - 210K / NEW
10. 360 Star Ocean 4 - 209K / NEW

What can we tell from this? Third-parties are pretty much in the crapper on consoles in Japan.

Here's the Top 10 first-party console games in Japan YTD from my Famitsu database through Nov. 15.

1. WII WSR - 1.3m / NEW
2. WII WF+ - 852K / NEW
3. WII Wii Fit - 571K / 3.5m
4. WII Mario Kart Wii - 353K / 2.4m
5. WII Animal Crossing - 287K / 1.2m
6. WII Wii Sports - 222K / 3.5m
7. WII Mario Tennis GC - 208K / NEW
8. PS3 WKC - 136K / 339K
9. PS3 Demon's Souls - 135K / NEW
10. WII Pikmin 2 - 133K / NEW

And first-parties aren't doing too good, either.

donny2112

bcn-ron said:
Can you do a SUM(units),COUNT(*) GROUP BY system?

Sure. Just third-parties, YTD through Nov. 15. All systems this time, though.

1. NDS - 10.9m (206)
2. PSP - 5.7m (155)
3. PS3 - 4.0m (82)
4. WII - 2.5m (50) (MH3, MHG, and Taiko Wii are ~60% of the third-party YTD for Wii)
5. PS2 - 2.3m (106)
6. 360 - 1.3m (78)

Cygnus X-1

Stumpokapow said:
Desperate to see just how badly Crystal Bearers bombed? ;)

If this will prevent Square making any further spin-off FF for the Wii, then I'm glad it bombed.

donny2112 said:

1. NDS - 10.9m (206)
2. PSP - 5.7m (155)
3. PS3 - 4.0m (82)
4. WII - 2.5m (50) (MH3, MHG, and Taiko Wii are ~60% of the third-party YTD for Wii)
5. PS2 - 2.3m (106)
6. 360 - 1.3m (78)

Impressed to see how many games were developed for PSP. Third parties would make everything to keep avoiding Nintendo's systems, if they were able to. Of course this is not possible with the DS, but I'm sure that they're not so happy anyway.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
Predictions begin after we have first day sales and before the famitsu leak, so they that they are not mixed with the actual sales. Kurosaki must also post the games we will predict for.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Yup. NSMB DS 7 days to release- 289 preorders. NSMB Wii- 465

Oh, nice.

I still think the game will debut a bit lower than the ds version though.
donny2112 said:

1. NDS - 10.9m (206)
2. PSP - 5.7m (155)

3. PS3 - 4.0m (82)
5. PS2 - 2.3m (106)
6. 360 - 1.3m (78)

That's quite surprising. I thought ds would be higher than that with DQ selling 4 million+

PSP being nº1 next year for third parties is not out of the question.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Oh, nice.

I still think the game will debut a bit lower than the ds version though.

We'll see, but I'm starting to think that is unlikely. Comgnet has its limitations, but its pretty reliable at judging pre release interest and right now NSMB Wii is off the charts compared to most if not all Nintendo releases. Plus, common sense (huge Nintendo nostalgia marketing push, releasing in prime holiday season, emphasis on local multiplayer) tells me it will be massive.

jett

D-Member
AniHawk said:

I thought you were being sarcastic with that comment. Sony gave R2 full-attention and a much bigger push than KZ2 at E2 2008. A virtually finished KZ2 was delayed to 2009 so that R2 could have the holiday season all to itself, despite Sony having to share revenue with Insomniac. What more could they have wanted? :p*

*also despite KZ2 being the much better game than R2. :p Actually sucks for Guerrilla that they got shortchanged. If the game had been released during Christmas it would've had much higher sales I'm sure.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
Dragon Quest VI says no to that.

Of course if PSP gets MH3 portable that would probably be the top 3rd party game of the year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm talking about the games we know that will come out for sure. But yes if MHP3 comes out this year there is a very good possibility.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
That's quite surprising. I thought ds would be higher than that with DQ selling 4 million+

The first half of the year was really barren for DS. Through mid-year, the top DS third-party game was Kingdom Hearts at #4 behind PSP MHP2G (BEST), PS3 Yakuza 3, and PS3 RE5.

Spiegel said:
PSP being nº1 next year for third parties is not out of the question.

If MHP3 comes out and DS releases are like this year (excluding DQIX), I'd say that's likely.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (03/12/09) - HUGE week

xx . [NDS] Cross Treasures (Square Enix)
xx . [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
xx . [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)
xx . [NDS] Yggdra Unison: Holy Sword War Tales (Atlus Co.)
xx . [NDS] Kaijuu Busters (Namco Bandai)
xx . [NDS] Jinsei Game DS 2 (Takara Tomy)
xx . [NDS] Stitch! Ohana to Rhythm de Daibouken (Disney Interactive)
xx . [NDS] Shin Noukyo Iku (Marvelous Entertainment)
xx . [NDS] Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukakuru - DS Kikenbutsu Toriatsukaimono Otsushu 4-Rui (Square Enix)
xx . [NDS] Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukakuru - DS Koumuinshiken Suumato Shori (Square Enix)
xx . [NDS] Relaxuma Rhythm: Mattari Kibun de Da Run Run Run (Rocket Company)
xx . [NDS] Kamo no Hashikamo. Aimai Seikatsu no Susume (ASCII Media Works)
xx . [NDS] Signal (D3 Publisher)
xx . [NDS] Up (E-Frontier)
xx . [NDS] Pretty Rhythm Collection (Santa Entertainment)

xx . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)
xx . [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)
xx . [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami)
xx . [PSP] LittleBigPlanet Portable (SCE)
xx . [PSP] Devil Kings: Battle Heroes (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
xx . [PSP] Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
xx . [PSP] Star Ocean: First Departure (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix)
xx . [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix)
xx . [PSP] Code Gears: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Lost Colors (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai)
xx . [PSP] Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Konami the Best) (Konami)

xx . [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
xx . [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
xx . [WII] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W (Namco Bandai)
xx . [WII] Isometric & Karate Exercise: Wii de Kotsuban Fitness (IE Institute)
xx . [WII] Takumi Restaurant wa Daihanjou! (Dorart)
xx . [WII] Tokyo Friend Pack II Ketteiban: Minna de Chousen! Taikan Attraction (Spike)
xx . [WII] Up (E-Frontier)
xx . [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix)
xx . [WII] Resident Evil (Best Price!) (Capcom)
xx . [WII] Resident Evil 0 (Best Price!) (Capcom)
xx . [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 05/12/09

xx . [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
xx . [PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)
xx . [PS3] Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition (Bethesda Softworks)
xx . [PS3] Resistance: Fall of Man (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) (SCE)
xx . [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) (SCE)
xx . [PS3] Folklore (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) (SCE)

xx . [360] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
xx . [360] Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition (Bethesda Softworks)

Top Bottom