• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

Jonnyram

I think Wii will have it's usual holiday bump - Nintendo plans, and perfectly executes this, every single year. But I think the demand for PS3 this year will still outshine it. FFXIII and Blu-ray (predominantly Ponyo) will be the big hits this year end. I see NSMB Wii being successful, but it will be long-tailed as you say. I'd imagine FFXIII will sell more over this holiday season anyway.

cvxfreak

WhiteAce said:
errr... it was???

Yeah... 2980 Yen for the DVD first print last summer at Bic. I was surprised since this movie was such a huge deal when it came out. Maybe it was just a sale?

cvxfreak said:
The DVD Ponyo was in the bomba bin for awhile, so I can't imagine the BD doing all that well.
To be fair, it's a trap we game/anime/tv/movie nerds in the West fall into very easily - assuming that just because it's a quality product from Japan that the Japanese themselves appreciate it.

Assuming that the "Disney of Japan" has anywhere near the stature of the actual Disney does not necessarily follow.

Jonnyram

viciouskillersquirrel said:
To be fair, it's a trap we game/anime/tv/movie nerds in the West fall into very easily - assuming that just because it's a quality product from Japan that the Japanese themselves appreciate it.
Of course, it only sold 500,000 copies in its first week of release!

Assuming that the "Disney of Japan" has anywhere near the stature of the actual Disney does not necessarily follow.
Where do you think that moniker comes from, if it's not based on stature?

ethelred

Errr... wait, are you saying that the Japanese didn't or don't appreciate Ponyo or other Miyazaki movies or that their stature isn't massive in Japan? Didn't the movie gross over a hundred million in Japan? edit: Yeah, well over that (164 million). Top grossing movie in 2008.

EDarkness

Dragona Akehi said:
Well it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about Sales-Age. I just am not that optimistic.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but if the Wii can get a little image change and some good software that gets people excited, it should do well. SMBWii should help that a bit. I mean, even with all the negativity the system gets it's still holding it's own against the PS3 which is getting a lot of positive momentum. If SMBWii can build some positive press as well as Tales of Graces, then that could do well for the Wii overall.

Jonnyram said:
Of course, it only sold 500,000 copies in its first week of release!

Where do you think that moniker comes from, if it's not based on stature?
The quality of their product? I always thought Studio Ghibli movies would be fairly popular in Japan because they’re a quality home-grown product, but that needn’t necessarily be the case. Don Bluth films were (once) on par with Disney at their peak, but they never received their due.

If a company like Don Bluth were making movies in Lower Asscrackistan that did “OK” in their home market, but supplemented their income overseas, I could see them being called the Disney of the West Pole Region or something.

Mind you, I know next to nothing about the Japanese film industry, so I don’t know how big a deal Studio Ghibli movies are there. I was just defending the guy who was surprised at Ponyo being in the "bomba bin".

Yoboman

Spirited Away is the highest grossing movie of all time in Japan, what are you fools on about questioning Ghibli's stature?:lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The quality of their product? I always thought Studio Ghibli movies would be fairly popular in Japan because they’re a quality home-grown product, but that needn’t necessarily be the case. Don Bluth films were (once) on par with Disney at their peak, but they never received their due.

If a company like Don Bluth were making movies in Lower Asscrackistan that did “OK” in their home market, but supplemented their income overseas, I could see them being called the Disney of the West Pole Region or something.

Mind you, I know next to nothing about the Japanese film industry, so I don’t know how big a deal Studio Ghibli movies are there. I was just defending the guy who was surprised at Ponyo being in the "bomba bin".
Studio Ghibli movies actually make up three of the top five grossing films of all time in Japan, including the number one spot with Spirited Away. You could actually argue they're more relevant in Japan than Disney is in the U.S. on a sales basis.

It's a rather interesting list actually: http://www18.ocn.ne.jp/~hbr/boxoffice/top50movies_e.htm

As for how much money they made:

1.) Spirited Away: $353,000,000
4.) Howl's Moving Castle: $228,000,000
5.) Princess Mononoke: $225,000,000

king zell

First Day Sales (11/26)
[NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue - 140k

Professor Layton and the Curious Village 119.816/first week
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 307.771/first week
Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou 360.778/first week

anyone got first day sales?

AniHawk said:

116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg
out of
116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg
116kinl.jpg

Jonnyram

king zell said:
Professor Layton and the Curious Village 119.816/first week
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 307.771/first week
Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou 360.778/first week

anyone got first day sales?
2007/2 Professor Layton and the Curious Village 48,000 (929,000 total)
2007/11 Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box 196,000 (866,000 total)
2008/11 Professor Layton and the Final Trip through Time 179,000 (806,000 total)
2009/11 Professor Layton and the Devil's Flute 140,000

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Final Trip through Time
Professor Layton and the Devil's Flute
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles
Professor Layton and the Milking of the Gods
Professor Layton and the Curious Decline in Sales

Xeke

Banned
Is it possible Nintendo doesn't care about Japan because in relation to world sales it's doing nothing but shrinking?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol
Well, to be fair to Xeke, this does seem to be the position of Microsoft and all the Western third parties.

But yeah, I get the distinct impression Nintendo cares quite a bit about the Japanese home console market even based off the few moves they have been making lately.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Well, to be fair to Xeke, this does seem to be the position of Microsoft and all the Western third parties.

Wow, the position of a company failing to break into a foreign market is that it should remain focused on its domestic market where it is successful in? SHOCK AND AWE!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Wow, the position of a company failing to break into a foreign market is that it should remain focused on its domestic market where it is successful in? SHOCK AND AWE!
Well, it's not entirely unprecedented for a company that started in one nation to switch almost all of its focus to a different nation though.

Look at Sony's stable of first and second party output this generation and compare it to last generation and the PlayStation 1. They've basically entirely shifted their entire development focus to the Western markets, even when the region they're having some better success in right now is Japan.

Capcom also shifted pretty heavily to the West. Their goal is for only 20% of their revenue to come from Japan eventually, which for a game development company that started there is pretty surprising in a way.

I just don't think Xeke's question is as preposterous as you're proposing, even if Nintendo is still far from the point where they've stopped caring about the Japanese market and shifted their views elsewhere.

Parl said:
Poor DS Lite and PS2, don't have any direct competition.

You can put them up against each other as winning thoroughbreds who have been put out to pasture.

donny2112 said:
I think so. I think Nintendo probably isn't going to try hard enough to turn the Wii around in Japan, so it's probably better to cut their losses profits and start a new generation with a console that will actually be supported.

This still relies on the loony idea that the third-parties who have successfully waited out the Wii to the point where they can very tenuously justify not developing for it are somehow going to increase support for Nintendo's followup system.

Nirolak said:

The position of Microsoft and Western third parties is "those grapes were probably sour anyway!"

ethelred said:
Errr... wait, are you saying that the Japanese didn't or don't appreciate Ponyo or other Miyazaki movies or that their stature isn't massive in Japan? Didn't the movie gross over a hundred million in Japan? edit: Yeah, well over that (164 million). Top grossing movie in 2008.

I think it beat out the Pokémon film released that year. The 11th movie w/ Giratina & Shaymin. It beat out a Pokémon film for crying out loud, Japanese must love Ghibli films!

cvxfreak

Bomba Bin doesn't necessarily equal not selling a lot of copies. I would say it's the MH3 of DVDs as of last summer.

Xeke

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah, it really is. Especially since Nintendo of America aren't even releasing games anymore.

In the face of NPD sales Japanese hardware sales especially are a drop in the bucket. Hell is the UK a bigger market by itself at this point?

Even the mighty DS sells what, 1/6 of the hardware in a month as in the USA with 1/3+ the population?

I don't see how its ridiculous. Maybe NoA isn't releasing a bunch of niche games that would most likely bomb in this country, even with a respectable marketing budget.

ITA84

duckroll said:
Yeah, it really is. Especially since Nintendo of America aren't even releasing games anymore.

There's still Europe. :D

Well, while it's true that NoE is doing quite well in comparison, there isn't an apparent change of focus as far as I can tell, neither in game development nor in marketing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
kay said:
Oh, look at this. Chris1964's genius status is at risk if the Wii doesn't pick up the pace a little.
Current totals:
PS3: 585020
Wii: 309875

So who is going to win this, Chris1964 or Opiate?
Not the first prediction I was wrong and won't be the last. I had underestimate the PS3 slim effect. But from now on everything I will say will happen just to satisfy you.

31 . [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix)
32 . [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment)
33 . [PSP] Gran Turismo: The Real Driving Simulation (SCE)
34 . [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 4 (Konami)
35 . [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
36 . [PS3] Need for Speed: Shift (Electronic Arts Victor)
37 . [NDS] Fresh PreCure! Asobi Collection (Namco Bandai)
38 . [360] Steins; Gate (5pb.)
39 . [PSP] Warship Gunner 2 Portable (Koei)
40 . [NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)
41 . [PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special (Koei)
42 . [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (PSP the Best) (Sega)
43 . [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
44 . [360] Bayonetta (Sega)
45 . [PSP] Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star (GungHo Works)
46 . [WII] Calling (Hudson)
47 . [PSP] Higarushi no Naku Koro ni: Jan (AQ Interactive)
48 . [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE)
49 . [PSP] Battle Spirits: Kiseki no Hasha (Namco Bandai)
50 . [PSP] Sengoku Hime: War Princess (Yeti)
xx . [ALL] Total Software Sales (All Publishers) - 754.473 / 52.927.212

kay

Sorry for pointing you out there, but I am not stalking you or something else, I swear!

I haven't seen any other of your predictions turn out that wrong, you're good at this. ;;

Aru

bttb said:
First Day Sales (11/19)
[360] Left 4 Dead 2 - 18,000 (65%)
[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future 2 - 10,000 (32%)
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 - SA 9,800 (8%) / BE 4,200 (3%)
[NDS] Dorabase 2 - 8,000 (12%)
[PSP] Armored Core Silent Line Portable - 7,900 (26%)
[NDS] Mario & Sonic at Vancouver Olympics - 7,400 (6%)
[WII] Metal Fight Beyblade - 2,400 (9%)
[WII] Calling - 1,100 (23%)
[PSP] Jak x Daxter - 1,100 (14%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1259061055/461

First Day Sales (11/26)
[NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue - 140k
[NDS] Strike Witches - 3.5k
[NDS] Cooking Mama 3 - 2.0k
[WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 - 23k
[WII] Naruto Shippuuden: Ryujinki - 4.4k
[WII] Puyo Puyo 7 - 2.0k
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX - 1.6k
[360] Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 - 13k
[PSP] La Pucelle: Ragnarok - 5.8k
[PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable: Mega Edition - 4.7k
[PSP] Puyo Puyo 7 - 3.6k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10397861009.html

Bomba.

Ryujinki looked okay, but I guess this confirms again that Naruto games sales are pretty much dead in Japan.

Really disappointed in La Pucelle. I know it's just an enhanced port, but still. We won't see any of the 2 sequels N1 mentionned with sales so low :/ I expected at least 20-30k first day.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nippon Ichi in 2009:

Code:
1  	[PSP]  	Disgaea 2 Portable:  	                                             80,927
2 	[NDS] 	A Witch's Tale: Apprentice Witch and Seven Princesses:               4,355
3 	[PSP] 	Princess Antiphona's Hymn: Angel's Score Op. A:                      5,738

...Perhaps they should consider more Disgaea.

I wonder how Zettai will do actually.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Bomba Bin doesn't necessarily equal not selling a lot of copies. I would say it's the MH3 of DVDs as of last summer.
So wait... your argument thus far has been that the BD of Ponyo won't do that well as the DVD was not a hit, backed up by your bomba bin anecdote. However, it is like MH3, which you thought did well and improved Wii sales? Hooooold on a minute :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu leak Nov 16-22, 2009. Look who is back in town.

01 . [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 59.000 / 1.641.000
02 . [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 42.000 / 894.000
03 . [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 40.000 / 2.985.000
04 . [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai) - 29.000 / 29.000
05 . [360] Left 4 Dead 2 (Electronic Arts Victor) - 28.000 / 28.000
06 . [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 27.000 / 634.000
07 . [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 26.000 / 26.000
08 . [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J (Sega) - 23.000 / 113.000
09 . [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 21.000 / 304.000
10 . [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai) - 19.000 / 19.000

11 . [PSP] Armored Core: Silent Line Portable (From Software) - 18.000 / 18.000
12 . [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai) - 17.000 / 81.000
13 . [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (SCE) - 15.000 / 15.000
14 . [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 11.000 / 1.340.000
15 . [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 10.000 / 49.000
16 . [WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix) - 8.800 / 44.000
17 . [NDS] 4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) - 8.700 / 171.000
18 . [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 8.500 / 4.031.000
19 . [NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star (Capcom) - 7.800 / 39.000
20 . [WII] Metal Fight Beyblade: Gachinko Stadium (Hudson) - 7.300 / 7.300
21 . [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai) - 7.200 / 28.000
22 . [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 6.700 / 1.079.000
23 . [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.) - 6.000 / 170.000
24 . [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 5.100 / 183.000
25 . [PSP] Hexyz Force (Atlus Co.) - 4.900 / 17.000
26 . [PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 4.800 / 155.000
27 . [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4.500 / 2.364.000
28 . [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 4.300 / 5.569.000
29 . [PS3] Infamous (SCE) - 3.700 / 29.000
30 .

xx . [WII] Calling (Hudson) - 2.300 / 2.300
xx . [PSP] Minna no Navi (Zenrin) - 1.900 / 1.900
xx . [NDS] Moomon Tani no Okurimono (Sonic Powered) - 1.600 / 1.600
xx . [PSP] Jak and Daxter: The Last Frontier (SCE) - 1.100 / 1.100
xx . [NDS] Akogare Girls Collection: Lovely Youchien (Creative Core) - 1.100 / 1.100

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
So wait... your argument thus far has been that the BD of Ponyo won't do that well as the DVD was not a hit, backed up by your bomba bin anecdote. However, it is like MH3, which you thought did well and improved Wii sales? Hooooold on a minute :p

I think what he's trying to say, to be fair, and yes it is very confusing, is that the Ponyo DVD while selling huge numbers did not exceed the expectations of retailers, and hence had a larger shipment than sell through. Similar to how MH3 had a 1 million initial shipment, and while it sold very well it still has not sold out that shipment.

And as such, because it is not a sell-out instant hit, a re-release shortly down the line is not expected to do AMAZINGLY well immediately. But what he fails to note is that for anime in particular in Japan, blu-ray sales now account for MORE than the DVD sales of pretty much every single major release. This might not apply immediately to Ghibli films though, because they are more family orientated and priced reasonably.

Road

Chris1964 said:
xx . [NDS] Monster Finder (Alpha Unit) - 1.900 / 1.900
Should be: [PSP] Minna no Navi (Zenrin) (外.みんなのナビ 1900). Or did the guy correct himself later?

Cygnus X-1

It is true that the japanese market is still shrinking. For this reason, I'm not that optimistic about NSMBW. And almost every Wii game that come out seems to bomb eventually, or let's say, seems to sell less then before, in a declining spiral.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
Should be: [PSP] Minna no Navi (Zenrin) (外.みんなのナビ 1900). Or did the guy correct himself later?
You are right. I'll fix it.

Aru

Nirolak said:
Nippon Ichi in 2009:

Code:
1  	[PSP]  	Disgaea 2 Portable:  	                                             80,927
2 	[NDS] 	A Witch's Tale: Apprentice Witch and Seven Princesses:               4,355
3 	[PSP] 	Princess Antiphona's Hymn: Angel's Score Op. A:                      5,738

...Perhaps they should consider more Disgaea.

I wonder how Zettai will do actually.

Disgaea 3 Portable please.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

duckroll clarified a lot of it for me. MH3 and especially Ponyo were huge hits that simply haven't sold through their shipments, thus making premature price cuts necessary.

What I took issue with is how you connected the BD Ponyo with PS3 sales. Honestly, I think that's a huge stretch and I haven't seen anything that can solidly link Ponyo's BD release to the PS3, unless I missed something. Even if its sales are huge, meaning many people are willing to rebuy or actually waited, there's no guarantee people will buy a PS3 with it instead of a standalone BD player.

duckroll said:
And as such, because it is not a sell-out instant hit, a re-release shortly down the line is not expected to do AMAZINGLY well immediately. But what he fails to note is that for anime in particular in Japan, blu-ray sales now account for MORE than the DVD sales of pretty much every single major release. This might not apply immediately to Ghibli films though, because they are more family orientated and priced reasonably.

For what it's worth, I actually saw Ponyo in Japanese theaters last year, and the people in there didn't look like the types I'd associate as being anime types. If anything, Ponyo attracts a very casual crowd.

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
DQIX sales went up comparing to previous week (first time this is happening).

We can thank the DSi LL for that.

Hasn't NSMB made a bit of a rise in recent weeks as well? Can be attributed to the LL, again, but also perhaps to NSMB Wii.

Top Bottom