• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
But here is a battle that may have a new winner

[SFC] Super Mario Kart (Nintendo) - / 3.820.000
[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 224.411 / 3.508.371

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
onken said:

Yes, clearly. Just as an example, Smash was on the comgnet top 20 more than a year before release and actually lost preorders right before release.

Edit- more specifically, I mean SSBB is a franchise that IMO has a lot more initial hype and excitement from the enthusiasts leading to a higher preorder number but less legs afterwards.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Schuelma must talk about Brawl, which was definetely frontloaded.

Famitsu
[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 816.198 / 1.812.706 - 45,03%

Media Create
[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 819.647 / 1.789.596 - 45,80%

donny2112

onken said:

Clearly.

First-week %s of LTD
N64 Smash Bros. - 11.2%
GCN Smash Bros. - 26.5%
WII Smash Bros. - 45%

N64 Mario 64 - 9.4%
GCN Sunshine - 35.5%
WII SMG - 26.6%

WII Mario Kart - 25.8%

NDS NSMB - 15.6%

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:
28 . [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 4.300 / 5.569.000
Ah ok, i havnt thought too much about that New Super Mario Bros. havnt been in the Famitsu Top 30 charts for a while, but now that i think about it, i havnt seen New Super Mario Bros. in the Famitsu Top 30 chart in quite a while (except for this week when it charted again) indeed. But cool to see that New Super Mario Bros. charts again :)

donny2112

In case anyone wants to do a "First Week %" query on Garaph.info, here's a stored SQL that can be modified to do it.

http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1808

That one shows Smash Bros. and Mario games first week %s. To modify it, change the query terms in the next-to-last line of the SQL.

JoshuaJSlone,
Maybe add that as a query option under Labs or something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
In case anyone wants to do a "First Week %" query on Garaph.info, here's a stored SQL that can be modified to do it.

http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1808

That one shows Smash Bros. and Mario games first week %s. To modify it, change the query terms in the next-to-last line of the SQL.

JoshuaJSlone,

ahhh explicit inner joins ahhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

donny2112 said:
JoshuaJSlone,
Not a bad suggestion. For now it's worth reminding people of the legs rankings, which lists the 500 least front-loaded games of those that first showed up in a list X days from launch. So no search option directly, but one can use the in-browser search to check for something. And rather than a percentage being given it shows the inverse--how many times the first week's sales have been multiplied.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
A name is just a name. No one cares if the game looks boring as shit.

Have any of Kawazu's recent games been successes in Japan (besides when he took over for XII?). Unlimited Saga was a bomb, Code Age Commanders tanked, The Last Remnant didn't exactly light up the charts... The last games that he did that seemed to do moderately well were the original FF:CC and Rings of Fate.

I don't think SE communicated what the game was really like to anyone, and even though the jGAF impressions enjoyed it, it seems like they made some big mistakes in trying to cater to a more casual audience. Oh well, I'm still getting it.

EDIT: Wow, FFCCTCB is on track to do worse than Code Age Commanders :lol

ivysaur12 said:
The Last Remnant didn't exactly light up the charts...
Well, it is the #4 X360 game. That may not mean much for actual numbers, but they can't realistically have been expecting it to do twice as well or something.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
This has been noticed before as a weird case. It's like a really successful Best rerelease... but it was apparently just the same SKU.
This title remains a mystery. It is a reprint of the previous game (in time for the GB Micro launch) but not the same SKU, going by famitsu standards. Still they combined the two versions. Media Create on the other hand tracked them seperately.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Chris1964 said:
Famitsu leak Nov 16-22, 2009. Look who is back in town.

08 . J-League Pro Soccer Club! 6: Pride of J (Sega) - 23.000 / 113.000
24 . Bayonetta (Sega) - 5.100 / 183.000

how is Tsukurou! 6: compared to the old soccer ones on PS2 ?

guess Bayo can't break 200K on PS3 :(

but well , there is a decent market for Shinobi Kunoichi on the HD twins , hope WOW think about it now.

Nirolak said:
Josh you spelt Jak & Daxter 2 as Jax & Daxter 2.

1.) Jak & Daxter: 144,970
2.) Jak & Daxter 2: 22,023

Chris1964 said:
xx . [PSP] Jak and Daxter: The Last Frontier (SCE) - 1.100 / 1.100

13 . [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (SCE) - 15.000 / 15.000

I believe the problem with Jak and Ratchet series in Japan is that after the both first games , the two series went complete and pure Shooters instead of platformer/shooter hybrid ( Jak 1 was pure platformer ).

don't know why SCEJ even bother to publish these games in Japan anymore since SCEA don't publish some of SCEJ games ( that actually can sell ) in NA.

kayzai said:
Do people never learn any lessons? Even after 3 years of saying Wii is dead in the water???

Pretty much the main lesson I've learned from saying the Wii was at an important turning point in 2007, and that Nintendo was actively screwing up its response to that turning point by mid-2008, is that I was completely right about everything and should have a bigger ego. :lol

ivysaur12 said:
Have any of Kawazu's recent games been successes in Japan (besides when he took over for XII?). Unlimited Saga was a bomb

Errr... what? Both SaGa games on PS2 went on to do over 400k lifetime.

MechaX

kobashi100 said:
Did Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 1st day sales beat Sin & Punishment 2 first week sales?

So.. is this a case of Mushihimesama just having a bigger following than S&P or there is a dedicated fanbase of shooter fans on the 360? If the latter, the person who mentioned that S&P might have done better if on the 360 might have been on to something. Either that, or Japan just hates Treasure.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MechaX said:
So.. is this a case of Mushihimesama just having a bigger following than S&P or there is a dedicated fanbase of shooter fans on the 360? If the latter, the person who mentioned that S&P might have done better if on the 360 might have been on to something. Either that, or Japan just hates Treasure.

Different kinds of shooters.

Road

donny2112 said:
I haven't checked, but I'd hazard a guess that it was Pokemon R/B/G. It was on the charts for almost 4 years, so it might've snuck in a #1 ranking in a slow week in years 2 or 3.
Pokemon R/G/B:

- R/G launch: 1996-02-27
- B launch: 1996-10-15
- No. 1: 1997-11-03 (start of the week) (here)

Which is like 88 weeks after Red and Green, and 55 after Blue.

Edit:
JoshuaJSlone said:
Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros.
Release Date: 2004-02-14
#1: Week starting 2005-09-26
And 85 weeks for this one.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
ahhh explicit inner joins ahhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Meaning that you don't see explicit inner joins much or am I out of the loop on this?

The way I learned was to put it in the where clause. However, I've since picked up the ANSI way, and I like the stratification of functions. :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: (+0.2) (+0.1) (+1.2)
X360 comparisons: (+0.3) (+0.3) (+0.1)
PS3 comparisons: (+0.7) (+0.7) (+11.7) (+0.7)
Wii comparisons: (+0.2) (+0.1) (+0.3) (+0.2)
DSi comparisons: (+0.8) (+0.2)
PSPgo comparisons: (+0.0)
So pretty much every system is doing worse than every system it's being compared to--good job, Japan! (The sole exception being PS3 beating the pants off 2005 Gamecube, hardly a feat.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Meaning that you don't see explicit inner joins much or am I out of the loop on this?

The way I learned was to put it in the where clause. However, I've since picked up the ANSI way, and I like the stratification of functions. :)

Meaning that I've been programming for far too long to do things the right way and I just use implicit joins and let the SQL server sort it all out ;) Seeing "proper" MySQL with all sorts of sub-selects and explicit joins, especially if it's in a first normalized form database, makes me HEAVE! :p

Thank goodness I got a new job.

onken

donny2112 said:
Clearly.

First-week %s of LTD
N64 Smash Bros. - 11.2%
GCN Smash Bros. - 26.5%
WII Smash Bros. - 45%

N64 Mario 64 - 9.4%
GCN Sunshine - 35.5%
WII SMG - 26.6%

Yeah those both work out to about 25% average, and that's despite being completely skewed by one title (Wii Smash Brothers). So again, I don't think you can say one series is "clearly" more front-loaded than the other.

Parl

duckroll said:
A name is just a name. No one cares if the game looks boring as shit.
And "Crystal Chronicles" counter-balances "Final Fantasy" anyway. That is has two subtitles makes it even worse.

It'll sell on the merits of the game. It possible would have done better as a new IP, but only by about a few thousand or something. The game needs to be appealing. Probably would have best been an RPG, and for it to have turned-based battles or something.

gerg

onken said:
Yeah those both work out to about 25% average, and that's despite being completely skewed by one title (Wii Smash Brothers). So again, I don't think you can say one series is "clearly" more front-loaded than the other.

Of course, this conclusion ignores the facts that not has SSB as a series has grown in terms of first-day-sales-to-LTD-sales percentages, whereas the 3D Super Mario series has not, and also the fact that the first week sales of the 2D NSMB constituted under 20% of its LTD sales.

schuelma

onken said:

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, but since the context was Smash Brothers Brawl, I thought it pretty clear that Smash in its current form was what I was talking about, and not its N64 counterpart.

donny2112

onken said:
Yeah those both work out to about 25% average,

Did you know that RE1-RE3 had a 50% first week average? Wow, I thought RE was a hardcore, majorly first-week loaded series on the PlayStation. Oh, well!
12.5%, 64.5%, 72.7% for RE1, 2, 3, respectively

SSB shows the normal core series progression of getting more and more front-loaded as the series goes on. Mario games, on the other hand, tend to stay below 30% and often well below.

The original statement about Smash Bros. being a more front-loaded series is well-founded and should be clear looking at the numbers which are available by utilizing garaph.info and japan-gamecharts.com.

Ok, lets get the prediction party started. A record 8-game-set and the long-awaited PS3/Wii December battle. No need for formatting (feel free to warn that they are predictions, reply to other posts, whatever).

· 11/30-12/06 Software Showdown
- Usual stuff, Famitsu rounded to thousands, up to previous week Famitsu leak (should be December 2nd)
- Remember Pokemon is a Saturday release
- Prediction set:
[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami)
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.)
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)

· PS3 vs WII December Totals Showdown
- Media Create numbers will be used (that is, non-rounded figures)
- 5-week-totals used covering week starting November 30th to the week ending January 3rd
- Results on January 7th if there's no delay in data (rank overall and rank by system)
- Predictions open until previous-week Famitsu leaks (should be Dec 2)
- Entry example:
PS3 Total - 456,789
WII Total - 456,789

Spiegel

d17b29ddb514ed2ffe47c30cb1163b26.gif

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 40k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 335k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 235k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 55k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 825k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 98k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) 55k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 45k

PS3 Total - 635,321
WII Total - 573,222

EDIT

No one can be confused again

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Spiegel said:
[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 40k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 335k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 235k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 55k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 825k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 98k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) 55k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 45k

PS3 Total - 635,321
WII Total - 573,222

Awesome, now bring it to the USA :D

Spiegel

Culex said:
well, to be fair, you edited that in.

It was the first post after Kurosaki started the predictions. I thought it was too obvious to anyone that those were predictions.

I was wrong so I put the sparkles in.

First real holiday week.

PREDICTIONS FW
[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) 55k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) 220k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) 240k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) 35k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) 780k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) 120k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) 70k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) 60k

PREDICTIONS HW
Wii Total - 530,123
PS3 Total - 480,321

schuelma

Culex said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict NSMBW sells 500k first week.

I think its more likely to do that first day. But we'll see!

jj984jj said:
How come we're not going to predict anymore DS games?

The DS has a fairly barren holiday release schedule by the looks of it. I can only see Zelda: Spirit Tracks, another Luminous Arc game, another Hitman Reborn game, Power Pro Kun, and then from the GameFAQs list I all the other games are in Japanese so I can't really tell if there are any other notable releases. 3rd parties didn't really supply much of anything for the holidays this year. I can see Inazuma Eleven picking up a lot of holiday sales though (and Tomadatchi and Pokemon).

Top Bottom