• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 2-8, 2009

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markatisu said:
Well there is a new board which seems to want to utilize its licenses a lot more, thats why Disney Studios is growing instead of folding.

I expect if KH3 is announced for the Wii there will be a meltdown just like when MH3 jumped to Wii and DQIX to the DS.

I do think with KH the American and Euro fanbase will figure in much more than with FF, and that could very well push it to the Wii.
Well, so far here are the platforms for Disney's AAA, internally developed game efforts:

PS3/360/PC:
-Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
-Split Second
-Pure
-Turok

Wii:
-Epic Mickey

Disney is also heavily rumored to be making a PS3/360/PC, very large budget Tron game.

I'm not sure what it is about Disney's big budget efforts so far that makes you think they would push the game for Wii, especially since they've put most of their internal game development money into the other three non handheld platforms.

Yoboman

Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be spearheaded by Nomura and his team, in the end it's most likely going to be his call seeing how much weight he has in Square and on the franchise. The fact that his major project right now is a PS3 exclusive, and was adamantly kept so through it's roughest period should indicate a lot about what he wants to do

I'm not so sure that the Wii has better demographics for KH3. It's a franchise with very high visibility, and any core gamer regardless of platform knows about it. Certainly don't see the Wii sports/ Wii fit crowd going out en masse to grab it.

Yoboman

Road said:
Actually, upcoming Square-Enix games:

WII:
FFCC: Crystal Bearers
Dragon Quest X

PS3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Star Ocean 4 International
Nier Replicant
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Front Mission Evolved
I do wonder if Dragon Quest is still a locked up exclusive for Wii as well after all the concern over software sales and it being an unstarted project

Yoboman said:
I do wonder if Dragon Quest is still a locked up exclusive for Wii as well after all the concern over software sales and it being an unstarted project
Wii has problems selling hardware right now, not software. Just look at the Famitsu software split.

Regarding KH3, I'm quite sure we're more likely to see it on the PSP and to a less likely degree the Wii then the PS3, but it's not going to come out for a few years so chances are we're not going to even see it this generation.

Edit: Actually forget the PSP, KH is a worldwide franchise so I guess the Wii takes the cake there.

Yoboman

BishopLamont said:
Wii has problems selling hardware right now, not software. Just look at the Famitsu software split.

Regarding KH3, I'm quite sure we're more likely to see it on the PSP and to a less likely degree the Wii then the PS3, but it's not going to come out for a few years so chances are we're not going to even see it this generation.

Edit: Actually forget the PSP, KH is a worldwide franchise so I guess the Wii takes the cake there.
Not to spark this argument but let's be honest, Wii has been a relative disaster for 3rd party software. Just look at Crystal Chronicles debut numbers. It seems if it's not a Nintendo game it's not going to make it. And I wouldn't be surprised if Square are closely watching what happens with FFXIII very closely

EDarkness

BishopLamont said:

You know, if the Wii was kicking ass in overall software, I don't think we'd be having discussions about whether or not some game was going to get released on the Wii. However, that's not the case and whether a game gets released on the Wii is a crapshoot and so far the odds aren't in it's favor. When we start seeing high profile, big budget, mainline versions of big games announced/released on a regular basis, then I'd say the Wii will be in decent shape. However, that's not the case and doesn't look to be the case in the near future. I'm surprised the Wii has survived this long with cheap, spin-off, casual, low budget games. Unfortunately for Nintendo (and third parties), that good will is gone. They're gonna have to try harder, and put some real effort into these games.

Right or wrong, that's my opinion of the situation. I would be very surprised if Kingdom Hearts 3 was released on the Wii. Square hasn't given the Wii much real support, or enough support to think that they'd put any real project on the system. Sure, there's Dragon Quest X, but if it changed systems (a la Monster Hunter) I don't think anyone should be surprised.

Yoboman said:
The fact that his major project right now is a PS3 exclusive, and was adamantly kept so through it's roughest period should indicate a lot about what he wants to do

Don't be that person who spreads around the Nomura-PS3-fanboy meme I said such mean and nasty things about just like an hour ago.

schuelma said:

It's just a bad descriptive word. It does not usefully describe the totality or any major subset of what makes, I dunno, FFXIII different from, say, Code Age Commanders. The problem with FF:CC:TCB isn't that it doesn't share the same metaphorical similarity as FFXII to the great work of Malinese folklore chronicling the life of King Sundiata; the problem is that it's ten pounds of crap in a five pound crap sack.

More generally, if I wanted to describe the problems implicit in a game like FFXII:RW or what have you, I'd probably steer towards more narrowly precise terms, like saying it isn't a "full-fledged" RPG.

EDarkness said:
Sure, there's Dragon Quest X, but if it changed systems (a la Monster Hunter) I don't think anyone should be surprised.

Again, this is only a remotely accurate sentence with an implied "(to the DS or its successor)" in there.

EDarkness

charlequin said:
Again, this is only a remotely accurate sentence with an implied "(to the DS or its successor)" in there.

Heh, heh. I didn't mention a system, as I was simply implying it'd end up anywhere but the Wii. DS or it's successor is just as valid as anything else. ;)

Yoboman

charlequin said:
Don't be that person who spreads around the Nomura-PS3-fanboy meme I said such mean and nasty things about just like an hour ago.
He doesn't have to be a fanboy to obviously have faith in the format to sell whatever project he is heading

Where can i find old Enterbrain estimates ?

I didn't remember well, i'm just curious to see what they said about Super Robot Taisen NEO, Bayonetta, FF Gaiden, Gran Turismo PSP and some others

duckroll

Yoboman said:
He doesn't have to be a fanboy to obviously have faith in the format to sell whatever project he is heading

Or it might just not be his job to care about selling the project, seeing how he's neither the producer, nor the executive producer of the game, nor is he the CEO of the company. If someone else above him makes a decision, he will not have much of a choice in the matter.

We have all been through the FFXIII announcement. It is obvious the team did not really care to have the choice of the game being multiplatform forced upon them during development, but they had to do it anyway, and that is the reality. This reality is ongoing, so I would suggest not saying things which could come back and bite you in the ass months from now. :)

duckroll

AranhaHunter said:
What if FFXIII PS3 outsells the 360 version in the west?

I don't see why that would change anything. If the 360 version sells like 10% of the total sales, sure that would mean it might not be worth doing 360 JRPGs in future. If it makes up for 40% of sales though, it would have been totally worth it. Companies are not sitting around going "AHA! THE PS3 VERSION SOLD MORE! SONY WINS!" although I think a lot of people would want to believe that's how it works. In the end they just want to sell the most copies of a game, and with both the 360 and the PS3 being viable platforms in the West, it makes very little sense not to have a game on both systems to capture the entire young adult audience.

I don't get why KH3 is always discussed for a or b and not both. We have seen what happened in portables, Square-Enix has the CoM PS2 remake team and Nomura has imagination for stupid subtitles.

My actual concern is what is Square-Enix doing next fiscal year. This year will have: DQIX Japan, FFXIII Japan+NA+Europe, DQVI Japan, Batman, Kingdom Hearts DS J+NA+E, Kindom Hearts PSP Japan...

Next fiscal year: No DQX, FFXIV is online, no KH3 in sight, god knows how long FF13 Versus could take, no more announced DQ remakes...

Moor-Angol said:
Where can i find old Enterbrain estimates ?

I didn't remember well, i'm just curious to see what they said about Super Robot Taisen NEO, Bayonetta, FF Gaiden, Gran Turismo PSP and some others
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17654675&postcount=493

They are creepily spot-on on FF Gaiden and SMT:SJ front-loaded shipments...

duckroll

Nirolak said:
The newest round of DS2/PSP2 rumors today reminded me of a question I wanted to ask actually.

Are there any DS or PSP games announced for Fall 2010? Especially in regard to major third party titles or games made directly by Nintendo or Sony.

Why would there be? At this point there are only two possibilities for any game out in Fall 2010 (not just portables):

a) Announced but without any sort of date or release window. These are usually either very high profile projects which needed to be announced early to get people's attention, or projects which have troubled development and/or were announced too early.

b) Unannounced, and will be announced closer to the middle of 2010 when they are ready to roll out marketing and promotion for the title.

In the case of A, no one will be able to say if a game will be out in Fall 2010 specifically. It could be before that, it could be after that, it could even slip to 2011. Games in this category would include stuff like The 3rd Birthday and FF Agito XIII. Nintendo doesn't actually announce anything anymore until 3 months or so before releasing a game, so that's that.

In the case of B, no one will be able to tell you anything at all except vague guesses on what is likely to be in development but unannounced. Games in this category would include stuff like a possible Tales game for the DS, Dissidia 2 for PSP, Persona 5 for PSP, Persona 2 Portable for the PSP, etc. Again it would add nothing to the discussion because these are games which don't even exist in any announced form yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Why would there be? At this point there are only two possibilities for any game out in Fall 2010 (not just portables):

a) Announced but without any sort of date or release window. These are usually either very high profile projects which needed to be announced early to get people's attention, or projects which have troubled development and/or were announced too early.

b) Unannounced, and will be announced closer to the middle of 2010 when they are ready to roll out marketing and promotion for the title.

In the case of A, no one will be able to say if a game will be out in Fall 2010 specifically. It could be before that, it could be after that, it could even slip to 2011. Games in this category would include stuff like The 3rd Birthday and FF Agito XIII. Nintendo doesn't actually announce anything anymore until 3 months or so before releasing a game, so that's that.

In the case of B, no one will be able to tell you anything at all except vague guesses on what is likely to be in development but unannounced. Games in this category would include stuff like a possible Tales game for the DS, Dissidia 2 for PSP, Persona 5 for PSP, Persona 2 Portable for the PSP, etc. Again it would add nothing to the discussion because these are games which don't even exist in any announced form yet.
Fair enough.

I was just wondering if there was anything absolutely confirmed for Fall 2010, but yeah, thinking about it that never really happens this far in advance with portable titles.

gerg

doicare said:
I would like hard proof as well, do you have any proof that kingdom hearts having great graphics for its time didn't help with its sales?

I'm not denying that the presentation of the game (as in, it being a 3D RPG-lite) may have helped to push sales. Nevertheless, there's a difference between the type of game enabled by graphics aiding sales and those graphics themselves being an important factor in buying the game.

Last time i checked the first kingdom hearts out sold FF XII in america but not in europe or japan. However how do you know that the majority of the worldwide kingdom hearts user base isn't the same as the final fantasy user base?

What charlequin said:

"KH sells significantly better than Final Fantasy in the US. Even if you assume 100% of FF players buy KH (itself an pretty clearly inaccurate claim) there are still a ton of people who bought KH1 and not, say, FFXII."

I'm not sure about Europe, but then we don't get specific numbers for that region anyway.

When a large amount of time and money has been spent on making an engine that works for a specific console then wouldn't it make sense to release as many games as possible using that engine instead of starting again and having to make a new engine for a new console?

Not if those games themselves aren't profitable.

Jokeropia

Yoboman said:
Not to spark this argument but let's be honest, Wii has been a relative disaster for 3rd party software.
Relative to what?
Yoboman said:
Just look at Crystal Chronicles debut numbers.
That's not a good example and the reason for that has been discussed since before it was launched.

Wii has gotten exactly one third party game of a comparable level to KH, and that one did just fine. DQ of course is even bigger.

You also neglected to comment on the fact that he mentioned worldwide sales, which cannot be ignored when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. In worldwide third party sales, Wii destroys PS3.
EDarkness said:
You know, if the Wii was kicking ass in overall software, I don't think we'd be having discussions about whether or not some game was going to get released on the Wii.
That's a pretty dumb argument. The fact is that the total software sales share (Famitsu) has been DS >> Wii > PSP > PS3 >> PS2 > 360 the last few months.
EDarkness said:
Heh, heh. I didn't mention a system, as I was simply implying it'd end up anywhere but the Wii. DS or it's successor is just as valid as anything else. ;)
No, like he said, DS is literally the only valid substitute.

Road

Bttb already posted the Famitsu Top 10 for October (09/28 - 10-25), here are positions 11 - 20. The only titles with updated LTD are NGS2 and SSMMRS.

October 2009 Software Top 20 (09/28 - 10/25)

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 703,620 / 2,771,229
02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 659,904 / NEW
03. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 495,335 / NEW
04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 244,162 / 1,400,265
05. [PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - 214,565 / NEW
06. [PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco Games) - 125,980 / NEW
07. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) - 109,415 / NEW
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 89,419 / 1,283,910
09. [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 72,927 / NEW
10. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 70,081 / 3,995,366

11. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 64,499 / 145,778
12. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo) - 57,546 / NEW
13. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special (Koei) - 51,809 / NEW
14. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 50,288 / 201,434
15. [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 44,894 / NEW
16. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) (Capcom) - 39,904 / 1,047,002
17. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 39,663 / 312,128
18. [PSP] Minna No Sukkiri (SCE) - 38,238 / NEW
19. [WII] Ookami (Capcom) - 30,079 / NEW
20. [360] Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft) - 29,563 / NEW
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmgk/m/

DS Top 10 for the same period (updated numbers for pos. 8, 9 and 10):

01. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 703,620 / 2,771,229
02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 495,335 / NEW
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 244,162 / 1,400,265
04. [NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) - 109,415 / NEW
05. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 70,081 / 3,995,366
06. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 64,499 / 145,778
07. [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 44,894 / NEW
08. [NDS] SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) - 21,528 / 151,579
09. [NDS] Blue Dragon: Ikai no Kyojuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 17,669 / 17,669
10. [NDS] Puyo Puyu 7 (Sega) - 12,652 / 181,833
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmds/m/

And the PS2 top 10:

01. [PS2] Beatmania II DX 16 Empress + Premium Best (Konami) - 22,871 / NEW
02. [PS2] Hiiro No Kakera: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou (Idea Factory) - 8,294 / NEW
03. [PS2] Momotsuki: Koufuu no Misasagi-Ou (Kadokawa Shoten) - 4,672 / NEW
04. [PS2] Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2 (Idea Factory) - 4,463 / NEW
05. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 4,248 / 79,589
06. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 3,441 / 114,315
07. [PS2] Hiiro no Kakera: Aizouban & Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2 Twin Pack (Idea Factory) - 3,377 / NEW
08. [PS2] Slotter Up Mania 11: 2027 vs 2027 II (Dorart) - 3,069 / NEW
09. [PS2] Hiiro no Kakera: Aizouban (Idea Factory) - 2,937 / NEW
10. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Bandai Namco Games) - 2,831 / 305,885
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmps/m/

markatisu

Nirolak said:
Well, so far here are the platforms for Disney's AAA, internally developed game efforts:

PS3/360/PC:
-Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
-Split Second
-Pure
-Turok

Wii:
-Epic Mickey

Disney is also heavily rumored to be making a PS3/360/PC, very large budget Tron game.

I'm not sure what it is about Disney's big budget efforts so far that makes you think they would push the game for Wii, especially since they've put most of their internal game development money into the other three non handheld platforms.

And which one of those that you listed has primarily Disney licensed characters sir?

I don't remember Jack Sparrow meeting up with Mickey and Donald or seeing Turok when I went to Disneyworld last year :lol

Warren Spector could have chosen the HD twins but he opted for Wii because he felt it had a better demographic for the Disney characters, is that false?

Thats all I am saying, the board of directors at Disney now is very intent on not milking out the license if its not profitable (which is why they ordered all the animated sequels killed in development for their feature animation)

I agree though if its Squares decision it might go to the PS3, if its Disneys it might go to the Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
More generally, if I wanted to describe the problems implicit in a game like FFXII:RW or what have you, I'd probably steer towards more narrowly precise terms, like saying it isn't a "full-fledged" RPG.

Yes yes I know. After your post I did a quick little search and discovered I use that word like all the time. Point taken!

ethelred

markatisu said:
And which one of those that you listed has primarily Disney licensed characters sir?

Gosh... I remember Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron featuring quite prominently in Kingdom Hearts 2. Don't you?

markatisu said:
I don't remember Jack Sparrow meeting up with Mickey and Donald or seeing Turok when I went to Disneyworld last year :lol

But you remember Jack Sparrow being a major draw when you played KH2, right?

markatisu said:
I agree though if its Squares decision it might go to the PS3, if its Disneys it might go to the Wii.

But it is Square's decision, and it always has been. Square has managed the development of this series entirely from the start, and they've done so entirely successfully. They've dictated what the games are that get made, the platform decisions, the characters that get included, and the voice casting. Square has also dictated when games do or do not get localized. Why is it that now that the Wii is in the picture, people suddenly think Disney is going to leap in and assume creative control over the franchise? Especially given that there haven't been any missteps with Square's handling to prompt Disney to assume said control -- if that's even in the offing, given that Disney attempting to wrest control away could cause a schism in the relationship between the two companies that effectively ruins a good thing they both have going. I'm sure neither of them want that, and as long as Square's doing well raking in the money with the games, I can't understand why anyone thinks Disney would want to pick such a battle. Or why they would want to pick a battle over a platform that they as a games development have shown only moderate interest in themselves vis a vis their big budget blockbuster games.

As I said, it's a deluded fantasy.

markatisu

ethelred said:
Gosh... I remember Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron featuring quite prominently in Kingdom Hearts 2. Don't you?

But you remember Jack Sparrow being a major draw when you played KH2, right?

He was not a major draw for me , maybe my wife :lol

But it is Square's decision, and it always has been. Square has managed the development of this series entirely from the start, and they've done so entirely successfully. They've dictated what the games are that get made, the platform decisions, the characters that get included, and the voice casting. Square has also dictated when games do or do not get localized. Why is it that now that the Wii is in the picture, people suddenly think Disney is going to leap in and assume creative control over the franchise? Especially given that there haven't been any missteps with Square's handling to prompt Disney to assume said control -- if that's even in the offing, given that Disney attempting to wrest control away could cause a schism in the relationship between the two companies that effectively ruins a good thing they both have going. I'm sure neither of them want that, and as long as Square's doing well raking in the money with the games, I can't understand why anyone thinks Disney would want to pick such a battle. Or why they would want to pick a battle over a platform that they as a games development have shown only moderate interest in themselves vis a vis their big budget blockbuster games.

As I said, it's a deluded fantasy.

Well we will see I guess whenever the game gets announced/developed, with all its spin offs we might not even see it this gen anyway, by which time the point could be moot if the next Wii is even remotely close to what the PS3 or 360 has now (meaning then it would just be a gigantic multiplatform game)

I mean they could probably port over the upcoming PSP game to the Wii and take care of 2010-2011, announce it in late 2011 or 2012 and who knows what would go on then

Road

markatisu said:
And what does that have to do with anything, Tron is also made by Disney.

Pirates of the Carribean has a setting in KH but you do not add Jack Sparrow to your team, apparently I had to be super blunt in my point that when it comes to the main players (Mickey, Donald, Goofy) their game was placed on the Wii

smh
I'm sorry I brought up Pirates of the Caribbean and Disneyworld, and suggested this franchise created and owned by Disney doesn't feature primarily licensed Disney characters.

My bad.

And my two cents to this wishful thinking argument is that, if anything, the fact Epic Mikey is appearing on Wii would show Disney is eager to capitalize on that audience but a certain company hasn't showed any interest on fulfilling that desire so far.

gerg

Road said:
And my two cents to this wishful thinking argument is that, if anything, the fact Epic Mikey is appearing on Wii would show Disney is eager to capitalize on that audience but a certain company hasn't showed any interest on fulfilling that desire so far.

Epic Mickey started development because Square Enix wouldn't develop Kingdom Hearts?

I think we're connecting two completely unrelated matters here.

ethelred said:
But it is Square's decision, and it always has been. Square has managed the development of this series entirely from the start, and they've done so entirely successfully. They've dictated what the games are that get made, the platform decisions, the characters that get included, and the voice casting. Square has also dictated when games do or do not get localized. Why is it that now that the Wii is in the picture, people suddenly think Disney is going to leap in and assume creative control over the franchise? Especially given that there haven't been any missteps with Square's handling to prompt Disney to assume said control -- if that's even in the offing, given that Disney attempting to wrest control away could cause a schism in the relationship between the two companies that effectively ruins a good thing they both have going. I'm sure neither of them want that, and as long as Square's doing well raking in the money with the games, I can't understand why anyone thinks Disney would want to pick such a battle.

Again, as fas I can see you're moving from our "external" understanding into an "internal" analysis. (I apologise for the ambiguity; I can't think of better words to use here.) The evidence under-determines what you're stating, and could equally be evidence for some other hypothesis, namely that Square and Disney have shared control over the series since its inception, and that the games that have been released have only been released because both Disney and Square have agreed to their releases.

Could you show me where it states that Square has "dictated what the games are that get made, the platform decisions, the characters that get included, and the voice casting"?

Or why they would want to pick a battle over a platform that they as a games development have shown only moderate interest in themselves vis a vis their big budget blockbuster games.

Except those games fit better thematically and demographically with the 360 and the PS3. Why should this be the same for a game that does not?

Road

gerg said:
Epic Mickey started development because Square Enix wouldn't develop Kingdom Hearts?

I think we're connecting two completely unrelated matters here.
I can't answer that question.

And, yeah, I probably am saying something that makes no sense. I just wanted to add my biased view of reality to this conversation.

gerg

duckroll said:
This discussion is getting really stupid. Just sayin'.

Not that I've avoided engaging in it, but I agree. We're all discussing matters on vague hypotheticals that we have no way of proving, so we may as well just sit and wait for KH3 to actually be announced before wondering if its nature as a release on the Wii is in question.

ethelred

gerg said:
The evidence under-determines what you're stating...

There isn't any evidence that undermines (which is what I'm going to assume you meant to say; take a bow, doicare) what I'm stating. :lol

gerg said:
Except those games fit better thematically and demographically with the 360 and the PS3. Why should this be the same for a game that does not?

Warren Specter's even said that Epic Mickey got the greenlight on the PS3 and 360 -- it was only moved to the Wii later for creative/developmental reasons, and Disney did not force it because of demographics as destiny. So there's nothing implausible about KH getting greenlit on the PS360 as well. The people who believe otherwise as buying into the idea of Disney being a Wii fanboy, which is as ludicrous as the contrary viewpoint that Nomura is a Sony fanboy.

Road

duckroll said:
This discussion is getting really stupid. Just sayin'.
I have no problems with saying stupid things.

As long as others can chime in explain things to me and so I can get less stupid. =(

gerg

ethelred said:
There isn't any evidence that undermines (which is what I'm going to assume you meant to say; take a bow, doicare) what I'm stating. :lol

"Under-determine" is a philosophical term used in epistemology. Not that I necessarily agree with its usefulness or validity, but the "grue" example is used to show how induction may under-determine our knowledge of the external world.

The opposite of "under-determination" is "overdetermination"; an example of this would be when a person is simultaneously shot or hit by lightening - here the outcome of death could have been caused by either event, and so can be said to have been over-determined by the fact that both occurred.

ethelred said:
The people who believe otherwise as buying into the idea of Disney being a Wii fanboy, which is as ludicrous as the contrary viewpoint that Nomura is a Sony fanboy.

Not necessarily. They're buying into the idea of Disney being an intelligently-run company that seeks to make as much money as possible, which would include releasing games on the best platforms for those games.

duckroll

bttb said:
The DSi LL first shipment will be similar to the PSPgo (~150k). Sinobi says the system has a high chance of selling over 100k on launch week (2 days).

That's because people can actually use DS carts on the machine! :lol

Kikujiro

markatisu said:
I mean they could probably port over the upcoming PSP game to the Wii and take care of 2010-2011, announce it in late 2011 or 2012 and who knows what would go on then

I think you're right about the spin-offs, with all the spin-offs around I'm sure we will have a KH for Wii and a KH for PS3/360.

EDarkness said:

No, the DS is a reasonable option to bring up while literally every other system that currently exists (PS3, 360, PSP) is 100% completely impossible. There's a very well-understood process that goes into picking the platform for a DQ game and no system but the Wii or the DS can even conceivably qualify.

Kikujiro said:
I think you're right about the spin-offs, with all the spin-offs around I'm sure we will have a KH for Wii and a KH for PS3/360.

This is also not a bad theory necessarily. We certainly saw S-E make a ton of money off KH-on-the-DS and we're soon to see them make a ton of money off KH-on-the-PSP, after all.

charlequin said:
No, the DS is a reasonable option to bring up while literally every other system that currently exists (PS3, 360, PSP) is 100% completely impossible. There's a very well-understood process that goes into picking the platform for a DQ game and no system but the Wii or the DS can even conceivably qualify.

This is also not a bad theory necessarily. We certainly saw S-E make a ton of money off KH-on-the-DS and we're soon to see them make a ton of money off KH-on-the-PSP, after all.
Exactly.

The always come to the market leading console.

Until this generation that was limited to just home consoles. But the DS has really changed the market in Japan.

Spiegel

The secret movie included on KH:BBS could hint about a spinoff for Wii.
We'll see soon enough.

schuelma said:
I don't know about you, but I think Spiegel thought that would happen.

I said it could happen if there wasn't any exclusivity contract, obviously there is one. And seeing how Capcom probably won't need to ship a second batch of copies until the "best" release, certainly there was a slim possibility.

I'm betting on an August release for MHP3 with the spinoff on Spring.

If they do something special with the spinoff, and I mean not making a retarded minigame compilation, this will be a win-win situation for them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
The secret movie included on KH:BBS could hint about a spinoff for Wii.
We'll see soon enough.

I said it could happen if there wasn't any exclusivity contract, obviously there is one. And seeing how Capcom probably won't need to ship a second batch of copies until the "best" release, certainly there was a slim possibility.

I'm betting on an August release for MHP3 with the spinoff on Spring.

If they do something special with the spinoff, and I mean not making a retarded minigame compilation, this will be a win-win situation for them.

Look what the cat dragged in :)

I think you might be right about MHP3, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they release 3G Wii first and then follow with a port based off that.

Takao

Banned
I've been seeing a bunch of people tossing around "Wonder what ____ will be after the best release", in regards to non-PlayStation platform games. I thought "The Best" is to SCEJ, as "Greatest Hits" is to SCEA. Am I wrong? Or are you guys just bunching up a couple of possible re-releases as "The Best".

EDIT- This was a bad comment/question. I know third parties re-release games as "Great Price!" or something. :lol

Takao said:
I've been seeing a bunch of people tossing around "Wonder what ____ will be after the best release", in regards to non-PlayStation platform games. I thought "The Best" is to SCEJ, as "Greatest Hits" is to SCEA. Am I wrong? Or are you guys just bunching up a couple of possible re-releases as "The Best".

EDIT- This was a bad comment/question. I know third parties re-release games as "Great Price!" or something. :lol

It's just become a shorthand term for a budget re-release for any game in Japan here in the M-C threads.

doicare

gerg said:
I'm not denying that the presentation of the game (as in, it being a 3D RPG-lite) may have helped to push sales. Nevertheless, there's a difference between the type of game enabled by graphics aiding sales and those graphics themselves being an important factor in buying the game.
Not really sure what you are trying to say their.

gerg said:
What charlequin said:

"KH sells significantly better than Final Fantasy in the US. Even if you assume 100% of FF players buy KH (itself an pretty clearly inaccurate claim) there are still a ton of people who bought KH1 and not, say, FFXII."

I'm not sure about Europe, but then we don't get specific numbers for that region anyway.
Kingdom hearts in america doesn't 'significantly' outsell final fantasy. Last time i checked kingdom hearts 2 only outsold final fantasy XII by a couple of hundred thousand units which is less than 15% difference between the two.

And more importantly than that S-E doesn't just look at one regions sales they look at the entire world. Worldwide FFX and FFXII have each outsold kingdom hearts 1 and 2.

For kingdom hearts 1 and 2 if you were to assume 100% of all final fantasy players brought kingdom hearts in their respective regions around the world then 88% of all kingdom hearts 1 players are also final fantasy players and 94% of all kingdom hearts 2 players are also final fantasy players.

gerg said:
Not if those games themselves aren't profitable.
You've said that a couple of times but you haven't brought one piece of evidence to the table to back that up yet.

Spiegel

I thought people would be more suprised about how well Persona 3 Portable is doing. The game will have outsold Persona 3 FES LTD by next week and is going to end close to P3 PS2.

I hope Atlus stops the porting machine now and makes something new.

schuelma said:
Look what the cat dragged in :)

I think you might be right about MHP3, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they release 3G Wii first and then follow with a port based off that.

3 months ban for being "obtuse". Feels good to be back :p

And it certainly would surprise me if Japan gets 3G before MHP3. I doubt both Capcom and their shareholders want their main fanbase to wait 3+ years for a new game.
I think they are going to repeat last year's strategy (MHG + MH3 demo -> MH3 // MH spinoff + something MHP3 -> MHP3).

That'd be the smart thing to do because I can't see MHP2G best selling much more after christmas.

doicare said:
Kingdom hearts in america doesn't 'significantly' outsell final fantasy. Last time i checked kingdom hearts 2 only outsold final fantasy XII by a couple of hundred thousand units which is less than 15% difference between the two.

The original Kingdom Hearts is around one million units above any PS2 FF title in the US; KH2 (a 2006 release) has an almost equal LTD to FFX (a 2001 release) and is well ahead of FFXII. It really is significantly more popular.

I mean, this whole argument is stupid to be having in the first place (especially since, as Kikujiro pointed out, both Wii and PS360 will almost certainly get some Kingdom Hearts game) but I do think it's important to clarify this part.

For kingdom hearts 1 and 2 if you were to assume 100% of all final fantasy players brought kingdom hearts in their respective regions around the world

When you assume you make etc. etc.

Top Bottom