• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

ethelred

jman2050 said:
The only question now is what humiliating tag he gets.

I don't see why he should get tagged for that. That wasn't even close to the dumbest thing DR2K has said, even in the past few weeks.

DR2K

Banned
I like how my post is being misconstrued into something it's not. I'm only saying that NSMBwii sales are going to be more front loaded than the DS version. But hey if it manages to hit 20 million in a few years WW, the expectations I was seeing btw, I'll admit to being wrong. I've got inches to spare on my e-penis.

DR2K said:
I like how my post is being misconstrued into something it's not. I'm only saying that NSMBwii sales are going to be more front loaded than the DS version. But hey if it manages to hit 20 million in a few years WW, the expectations I was seeing btw, I'll admit to being wrong. I've got inches to spare on my e-penis.

Nintendo is expecting upwards of 15mil for it. 20mil is in reach in my opinion.

shinshero

Hmmm... I was skeptical. But NSMB Wii has a real good First Day to Week ratio going here. Looks like it might have decent legs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
After seeing these sales for NSMBWii, it only goes to prove in my mind a theory I wrote on GamesAreFun.com in January 2007. I dug it up and will post it here

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7414

rurounizel said:
You know, I find it very interesting that New Super Mario Bros. is doing so well where it's last few iterations have, while not failed, haven't come close to doing this well in sales.

I think what's interesting to note is this. Super Mario Bros., the game that arguably got the Famicom seriously moving in Japan and moved the NES in America was a huge phenomenon, selling millions of units in it's first installment, and continued to remain a huge icon through it's next few 2-D platforming romps. Then Mario branched out (and Sonic was also introduced), and those did OK but not the best in terms of sales. Then Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine came out, and while they sold respectively and garnered great critical acclaim, their sales were not in the millions. Even though Mario was still a powerful franchise, it wasn't shaking the world like it did back in the 80s and early 90s....

... until New Super Mario Bros. It's like Mario suddenly became popular again. And how did he do this, one might ask?

By (finally) going back to doing what he did in the first place. What he always did best. Side-scrolling platform games. While NSMB did borrow elements of SMB3 and SMW, it none-the-less brought the series back to it's roots. It's almost as if the Japanese public was *waiting* for this to finally happen, and when it did, they welcomed the good plumber back with open arms.

Okairi, Mario. Okairi.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DR2K said:

Given the context of your post, the discussion was clearly first week sales..by any reasonable interpretation you were saying the first week expectations were high.

Frillen

DR2K said:

Damage control?

Onesimos

farnham said:
hopefully new super mario bros wii, monster hunter 3 and wii fit plus will join the million seller list soon

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Fit Plus will join next week as both are less than 100K copies from the one million mark.

Edit: removed Monster Hunter 3, as information is incorrect. Sorry for that.

Anyway, 900K copies in one week is impressive for any game in Japan. It does not have to be Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy numbers to be impressive. While the Famitsu.com article does not mention this, the first-week sales for New Super Mario Bros. Wii is higher than the DS version which sold 865,024 in its first week in 2006.

It is nice to post on this forum.

Onesimos

Laguna said:
Can you do a PS3 milion seller list for PS3 too please? ;)

I do not think that there is a million seller game for the PS3 in Japan yet. We will wait until Final Fantasy XIII in a few weeks to happen. The game that came close to one million copies is Metal Gear Solid 4 .

Edit: removed White Knight Chronicles as it did not sell nearly a million copies in Japan. In fact, it did not sell at least 500K copies. Sorry for the error.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna have to go with the idea that the sales numbers are front loaded. Yeah, it'll hit over a million. But, think it'll suffer the same fate as SSBB.

Onesimos

Captain Smoker said:
Top5 First Week:
WII - New Super Mario Bros. Wii 936.734
WII - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 816.198
WII - Mario Kart Wii 608.147
WII - Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) 582.548
WII - Wii Sports Resort 353.827

Wii Million Sellers:
WII - Wii Fit 3.538.570
WII - Wii Sports 3.528.473
WII - Wii Play 2.697.416
WII - Mario Kart Wii 2.370.000
WII - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1.812.706
WII - Wii Sports Resort 1.355.000
WII - Mario Party 8 1.354.885
WII - Animal Crossing: City Folk 1.182.000

You may want to add Monster Hunter 3 to the Wii Million Sellers list, as according to Capcom, it already sold over a million copies in Japan.

schuelma

Vilix said:
I'm gonna have to go with the idea that the sales numbers are front loaded. Yeah, it'll hit over a million. But, think it'll suffer the same fate as SSBB.

joke..post?

Culex

Banned
I'm curious as to how this will compare to the first week sales for FFXIII.

If anything, FFXIII should drive more hardware sales on the PS3 than NSMBW does for the Wii. I say this because the install base is much lower for Sony's system and that a ton of people are probably on the fence, meaning a main-line Final Fantasy will draw in more adopters.

entremet

Vilix said:
Not if you go by NSMB DS. That thing has legs, and the 2d Mario games are way more appealing than a pseudo mascot fighter.

king zell

Onesimos said:
The games that came close to one million copies were Metal Gear Solid 4 and White Knight Chronicles.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot 705.772
White Knight Chronicles 371.443

what close? you mean combined maybe?

schuelma

Onesimos said:
You may want to add Monster Hunter 3 to the Wii Million Sellers list, as according to Capcom, it already sold over a million copies in Japan.

Incorrect. It has shipped 1.1 million copies to retailers, which is what Capcom uses when presenting their IR reports.

It has sold about 940K as of 2 weeks ago.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
schuelma said:
joke..post?

I wish it was, chief. But, SSBB had a lot more anticipation than NSNBWii. I just think it'll suffer the same fate. Not that it was a bad fate, mind you. SSBB is pretty well. But, not MKWii well.

wrowa

Onesimos said:
Actually, Capcom says that they shipped over a million copies (and in the end it doesn't make a huge difference for them right now whether these copies get sold or not) and not that it sold over a million copies to the consumers :p

Anyway, he's using Famitsu or MC numbers in his list. Even if Capcom says they've sold over a million copies it wouldn't be a good move to mix different trackers in such a list. And neither according to Famitsu nor to MC MH3 has sold a million copies until now.

Edit: pah, beaten.

schuelma

Vilix said:
I wish it was, chief. But, SSBB had a lot more anticipation than NSNBWii. I just think it'll suffer the same fate. Not that it was a bad fate, mind you. SSBB is pretty well. But, not MKWii well.

From the first day numbers, NSMB Wii actually sold more copies in days 2 thru 4 which is something NSMB DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, and SSBB failed to do. That is an initial sign of enormous legs.

Orgen

Predictions:

[NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 45k
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 85k
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 100k
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 90k
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 225k
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 115k
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 30k

Culex

Banned
schuelma said:
Incorrect. It has shipped 1.1 million copies to retailers, which is what Capcom uses when presenting their IR reports.

It has sold about 940K as of 2 weeks ago.

So there's still 160k copies just sitting in stores still? That sounds like a lot of lost money on retailers.

duckroll

So, there's the email that NCSX is sending out to people who pre-ordered the limited edition Lightning PS3. In particular this is the part which is of interest:

NCSX said:
Square Enix updated their vendors over the weekend concerning the allocation ratio for the FFXIII Lightning Bundles and we won't be allowed to purchase what we originally preordered because they are currently only selling the bundles based on how many copies of the FFXIII game a vendor has purchased. Unfortunately, the ratio is 4:100 or 4 Lightning bundles for every 100 copies of the game purchased.

If this is true then most people will have to settle for buying a normal Slim + FFXIII, because that would be even more limited than the Crisis Core bundle. Even if retailers order a staggering 1.5 million copies of the game initially, which is almost ridiculous, that would only put about 60k of the LEs on the market. Much lower than any of our estimates, that's for sure.

schuelma

Culex said:
So there's still 160k copies just sitting in stores still? That sounds like a lot of lost money on retailers.

Something like that. From what I understand, the standalone was way overshipped.

Culex

Banned
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 175k

I think it will end up selling around 350k to 400k, making it just short of Symphonia for the GC.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
schuelma said:
From the first day numbers, NSMB Wii actually sold more copies in days 2 thru 4 which is something NSMB DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, and SSBB failed to do. That is an initial sign of enormous legs.

I hope you're right. It's a great game and it deserves it.

schuelma

duckroll said:
So, there's the email that NCSX is sending out to people who pre-ordered the limited edition Lightning PS3. In particular this is the part which is of interest:

If this is true then most people will have to settle for buying a normal Slim + FFXIII, because that would be even more limited than the Crisis Core bundle. Even if retailers order a staggering 1.5 million copies of the game initially, which is almost ridiculous, that would only put about 60k of the LEs on the market. Much lower than any of our estimates, that's for sure.

Wow, that is really low.

wrowa

Vilix said:
SSBB had a lot more anticipation because it's much more focused on core gamer than NSMB Wii is - and these people are the ones who anticipate games. In contrast to SSBB NSMB Wii has a much bigger casual appeal and that is why it will have much longer legs.

Oh, and yeah, I was completely wrong about the sales potential of NSMB Wii. Luckily. Great to see it doing so well.
Okay, maybe it's doing slightly too well. Now I fear that Nintendo will focus on 2D Marios on consoles instead of 3D ones. 2D on handhelds and 3D on consoles was a perfect solution, if you ask me. As much as I like NSMB Wii I don't want to miss games like Galaxy.

wrowa

Culex said:
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 175k

I think it will end up selling around 350k to 400k, making it just short of Symphonia for the GC.
Well, that would be phenomenal legs. If it starts with 175k I doubt that it will sell more than, say, 250k units.

Culex

Banned
wrowa said:
Well, that would be phenomenal legs. If it starts with 175k I doubt that it will sell more than, say, 250k units.

Under normal circumstances i would agree, but it's being released at the end of the year.

So I can see it doing 175k --> 65k --> 40k --> 15k and then linger in the bottom 50 for a while collecting until it hits 350k.

Road

schuelma said:
Wow, that is really low.
Am I seeing S-E desperately trying to use that to stuff retail with copies of the game because the initial number ordered was way too low?

Good luck to them.

farnham

Banned
hopefully some wii games will get some boost with nsmbwiis release (probably aint gonna happen though).. im looking at you ffcc and taiko

Spiegel

d17b29ddb514ed2ffe47c30cb1163b26.gif

[NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 28k
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 78k
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 75k
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 55k
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 170k
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 85k
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 45k

duckroll

Stopsign said:
That's a little extreme. Legs that bad don't come by to often.

Par for course for Tales games these days.

Title - FW/LTD

Tales of Vesperia PS3 - 227k/312k (still selling)
Tales of the World RM2 - 210k/317k
Tales of Versus - 153k/216k
Tales of Symphonia DotNW - 151k/212k
Tales of Hearts - 141k/259k
Tales of Vesperia 360 - 101k/161k

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Predictions:
[NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 32k
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 80k
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 90k
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 210k
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 40k

Onesimos

The fact that New Super Mario Bros. Wii outsold the DS original in its first week by approx. 71,000 copies is something I did not expect. Famitsu.com should have mentioned this, but andriasang.com did.

duckroll said:
Par for course for Tales games these days.

Title - FW/LTD

Tales of Vesperia PS3 - 227k/312k (still selling)
Tales of the World RM2 - 210k/317k
Tales of Versus - 153k/216k
Tales of Symphonia DotNW - 151k/212k
Tales of Hearts - 141k/259k
Tales of Vesperia 360 - 101k/161k

Fair point. I guess Tales games don't really have any legs. Hopefully Tales of Graces doesn't continue this trend. To be fair though, the one released during the holiday period (Hearts) does seem to have the best FW/LTD ratio. That can be attributed to having a fast price collapse though.

Spiegel said:
d17b29ddb514ed2ffe47c30cb1163b26.gif

[NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous) - 28k
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 78k
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 75k
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 170k
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 45k
Are those the real numbers?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Been a while since I viewed a Media Create thread. Wii isn't rising to heaven by itself anymore? PS3 has some good numbers here. What has prompted the turnaround?

schuelma

Agent Icebeezy said:
Been a while since I viewed a Media Create thread. Wii isn't rising to heaven by itself anymore? PS3 has some good numbers here. What has prompted the turnaround?

PS3 Slim in September

Wii has been down all year and actually has been higher since its own price drop in October.

You have missed a lot :)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Totally OT, but Big Bang Theory showed Raj and Sheldon playing Mario Kart Wii. Great plug for the holidays. ^.^

Top Bottom