• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

Sep 11, 2007
26,931
1
0
manueldelalas said:
But GT 3 did sell more than GT 2.

EDIT: To expand my point: GT1 sold more than GT2 with a much smaller install base.
GT3 sold more than GT2 on a much smaller install base.
GT4 sold a lot less than GT3 on a much bigger install base.

My theory: GT games rely heavily on graphics. Don't get me wrong; the handling, physics, etc are top notch; but they achieved that on the first game; and although they have improved them game to game, the big jump they make is when they switch consoles, because they do a huge bump in graphics.

So it's normal that the buyers of this franchise will be more excited about the first release on a console than on the second release.
The series has been losing popularity over the years in Japan, it just that, even if you think that way, that dosn't expalin why the first release on PSone (GT) did sell more that the first release on PS2 (GT3).

If you compare them with the opposite case (Europe) you see that you don't have to point that way, each entry was bigger than the last one.And now the principal market for the series in Europe (well it always was...)
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
duckroll said:
In the first week maybe, but that only accounts for 34k out of 295k. Spec III had longass legs over several months.
That's the part I was referring too. I remember the logic in the Media Create threads at the time being that the reason GT5P Spec III kept charting was because it was packed into every PS3 sold for a very long period of time. It also had a very similar tie ratio with the amount of PS3s sold each week.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Sage00 said:
That's the part I was referring too. I remember the logic in the Media Create threads at the time being that the reason GT5P Spec III kept charting was because it was packed into every PS3 sold for a very long period of time. It also had a very similar tie ratio with the amount of PS3s sold each week.
That's entirely possible. But we have no proof of that either way. And honestly, if the bulk of PS3s being sold to consumers were that bundle, it wouldn't really indicate that people bought the bundle specifically because they were GT fans or that they even wanted GT5 Prologue. It could just be that it is the most attractive hardware package available for someone buying a PS3 at the time. Wouldn't that also be a fair conclusion to make?
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
duckroll said:
That's entirely possible. But we have no proof of that either way. And honestly, if the bulk of PS3s being sold to consumers were that bundle, it wouldn't really indicate that people bought the bundle specifically because they were GT fans or that they even wanted GT5 Prologue. It could just be that it is the most attractive hardware package available for someone buying a PS3 at the time. Wouldn't that also be a fair conclusion to make?
I swore it was bundled with every PS3 that wasn't a LBP bundle or something. Can't remember anymore but it may have been down to consumers not having any real choices. :lol
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
cvxfreak said:
I swore it was bundled with every PS3 that wasn't a LBP bundle or something. Can't remember anymore but it may have been down to consumers not having any real choices. :lol
Yeah there's also that possibility. I'm almost certain that as far as Japan is concerned, Polyphony has totally missed the boat. They've delayed GT5 for way too long, and not only is the demand much lower than it was before now, but racing games in general are selling shit. Just look at Ridge Racer V and look at RR6 and 7. :lol
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
duckroll said:
That's entirely possible. But we have no proof of that either way. And honestly, if the bulk of PS3s being sold to consumers were that bundle, it wouldn't really indicate that people bought the bundle specifically because they were GT fans or that they even wanted GT5 Prologue. It could just be that it is the most attractive hardware package available for someone buying a PS3 at the time. Wouldn't that also be a fair conclusion to make?
That's very true. It could also be argued that with so many people being given GT5P, they may actually be less inclined to buy the final product, after either getting burned out on that game or not liking it.
 

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mar 18, 2007
6,033
0
995
Relaxed Muscle said:
The series has been losing popularity over the years in Japan, it just that, even if you think that way, that dosn't expalin why the first release on PSone (GT) did sell more that the first release on PS2 (GT3).

If you compare them with the opposite case (Europe) you see that you don't have to point that way, each entry was bigger than the last one.And now the principal market for the series in Europe (well it always was...)
True, but we are talking about the Japanese market here, which I think everyone will agree is quite different from the european and the USA market (which are very different markets).

About the game loosing popularity, I don't think the comparison between the first game and any other game is all that relevant. Franchises with a clear formula were the first installment sold much more than the others is very common in Japan. Pokemon 1st gen sold like 4 millions more than Pokemon 2nd gen, and Pokemon 3rd gen sold a lot less than Pokemon 2nd gen. At that point one could argue that the franchise is loosing popularity; but then Pokemon 4th gen sold more than 3rd gen (new console =P).

Anyway this discussion is pointless, so I'll just make a prediction.

GT5 LTD: 1.2 millions.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
manueldelalas said:
About the game loosing popularity, I don't think the comparison between the first game and any other game is all that relevant. Franchises with a clear formula were the first installment sold much more than the others is very common in Japan. Pokemon 1st gen sold like 4 millions more than Pokemon 2nd gen, and Pokemon 3rd gen sold a lot less than Pokemon 2nd gen. At that point one could argue that the franchise is loosing popularity; but then Pokemon 4th gen sold more than 3rd gen (new console =P).
Just to clarify, you are referring to 10 million (4 versions) -> 6 million (2 versions) -> 5.3 million (2 versions) -> 5.7 million (2 versions) right? :)
 
test_account said:
I have been thinking a little about this for some days now and i wonder, how much does it matter for a publisher/developer to build a fanbase for their games on a system? Serious question, i am wondering about it :) To take one example, from what i know, Square Enix hasnt exactly been building a fanbase for their games on the PS3, does this means that there is a possibility that the FFXIII sales will be affected because of this?
I guess it's less that Koei hasn't grown Musou on Wii as that it's grown it elsewhere already. The only console Final Fantasy releases this gen have been minor spinoffs on Wii and XI releases on X360 so it's not like the fanbase of the core games have already found a place to settle in. Now, if they were to pull a Namco and make XIII was exclusive to PS3, XIV exclusive to X360, and XV exclusive to Wii, things would hurt.
 

Datschge

Member
Sep 23, 2006
5,149
0
1,020
JoshuaJSlone said:
Now, if they were to pull a Namco and make XIII was exclusive to PS3, XIV exclusive to X360, and XV exclusive to Wii, things would hurt.
The difference between FF and Tales is that only the former are numbered, while the latter creates such a mess for uninitiated people that the producers had to come up with that inane main/escort entries distinction in addition to the usual main/spin off games. In that regard it will be interesting to seeing how Versus will fare.