• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
JoshuaJSlone said:
Not many of us expected this set of remakes would sooooo kick the shit out of the last ones, though. In less than 3 months, HeartGold/SoulSilver have done more than FireRed/LeafGreen did in 5 years.

The superiority of Generation II showing, once again.

I predict 240k FW and 380k LTD for Tales. I think Namco would consider that a success, but with their ridiculous predictions who knows. Is there one for Graces from them?

markatisu

Farore said:
Tales of Graces is next week :O ...

I hope it doesn't bomb that badly :( ...

Bomb with the Tales fanbase, I do not think they really have to be concerned. The game should move at least the 215k that Tales of Symphonia spin off/sequel did

markatisu said:
Holy shit at NSMB DS

see yet more evidence that NSMBW will bomb everyone's seeing the ads but just buying the DS game instead </troll>

Stopsign said:
I predict 240k FW and 380k LTD for Tales. I think Namco would consider that a success, but with their ridiculous predictions who knows. Is there one for Graces from them?

That would be a huuuuuuuuge success. If it did that you'd probably see the next Wii Tales announced like three days later. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stopsign said:

I don't think it will get that high. I think if they can equal the PS3 Vesperia LTD that would be decent (300K +)

schuelma

duckroll said:
Tales of Graces will sell under 200k in the first week.

Definitely possible. Should have a bit better initial legs being released in the holiday season.

duckroll

The game will definitely sell the 250k or so which seems to encompass what is left of the core fanbase of Tales. Beyond that I guess it's really questionable.

Road

I guess this is the most detailed information we'll ever get about DD sales.

Five best selling new* PSN games released from 2008-11-01 to 2009-10-31:

- [PS3] Gomibako (SCE)
- [PS3] Minna de Spelunker (Irem)
- [PS3] Katsuragi Misato Hodou Keikaku (Bandai Namco Games)
- [PS3] Bomberman Ultra (Hudson)
- [PS3] Battlefield 1943 (Electronic Arts)

* i.e. excluding "Game Archive" (titles like FFVII).

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1230235_1124.html
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/091203.html

Very useless. First day sales can't come soon enough.

Huh. I figured this would be received quite a bit better than Tales of Vesperia PS3 due to this being the first console the game is going to be released on and it being a mainline Tales game. The game won't do anywhere near what the series was doing at its height, but I thought in between the two would be a fair assumption. I guess we will see in a week.

On another note, any one have idea on what the Winning Eleven games are going to do individually on the PS2, Wii, and PSP? Is Konami going to take advantage of the World Cup next summer, and release the next version right before it like they did in 2006?

If DSi once again outsold the 3000, with the LL easily outselling the DSi, Sony needs to take a seat in Nintendo's Product Positioning 101 class because, as far as handhelds go, Nintendo is proving all over again that they understand the market miles beyond any company that's ever attempted to enter it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BowieZ said:
Is Vooks banned from GAF?

Stumpokapow said:
Clearly not, but I'm not sure why you asked in this thread :p

My ears are burning.

Even if Mario didn't do well to start with it'll be on the charts for the next 2 years. Legs!

duckroll

So out of the 4 new PSP releases this week (PSP2, GvsGN+, TM4, LBP), only 2 are on PSN (PSP2, LBP). Which means out of 3 third party releases, only 1 made it on PSN. These are not good times to be a PSP Go owner! :eek:

20/20. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)

am i reading that right..? T-a-m-a-g-o-t-c-h-i. Tamagotchi. it still exists?!

astroturfing said:
20/20. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)

am i reading that right..? T-a-m-a-g-o-t-c-h-i. Tamagotchi. it still exists?!

The first DS game sold over a million 4 years ago.

duckroll said:
So out of the 4 new PSP releases this week (PSP2, GvsGN+, TM4, LBP), only 2 are on PSN (PSP2, LBP). Which means out of 3 third party releases, only 1 made it on PSN. These are not good times to be a PSP Go owner! :eek:

It hasn't been a good time to be a GO owner since the thing was first released, has it?

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
It hasn't been a good time to be a GO owner since the thing was first released, has it?

There was a light at the end of the tunnel at some early point, but as they got closer, they saw that it wasn't the end of the tunnel at all, but the backlights of another car caught in a pile up in front. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VOOK said:
Even if Mario didn't do well to start with it'll be on the charts for the next 2 years. Legs!

SMG spent 16 weeks on the charts (top 30) and has sold around 75k offchart as of last update. NSMB spent 74 weeks on the charts before first dropping off, then 2 weeks off, then 10 weeks on, then 1 off, then 3 on, then 2 off, then 7 on... yadda yadda yadda.

So, being overly literal, I think it's pretty much virtually impossible for NSMBWii to last 104 weeks on the charts before dropping off. ;)

duckroll said:
There was a light at the end of the tunnel at some early point, but as they got closer, they saw that it wasn't the end of the tunnel at all, but the backlights of another car caught in a pile up in front. :lol

You're either the world's cruelest actuary or one of those awesome Chinese news CG re-enactment guys. I can't tell which.

schuelma

DSi LL 67,243
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
PSP 38,839
DSi 37,021
DS Lite 7,268
PSP go 3,809
Xbox 360 3,685
PS2 2,057

And the Wii reclaims its dominance!

(by 115 units) :lol

t3nmilez

I'm pretty interested in how Tokimeki Memorial 4 will fare. Think it'll be a Love Plus-style success? The audience is definitely on the PSP, but I wonder if the series has any power anymore since it's been so long since the last game.

Anyone have the numbers for the old TM games?

I wonder what the profit margin is on the PSP Go and how many sales, at this price, it would take for them to re coup the r&d and marketing costs for it.

Ultimo hombre said:
I wonder what the profit margin is on the PSP Go and how many sales, at this price, it would take for them to re coup the r&d and marketing costs for it.

HA

HAHA

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
HA

HAHA

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

I dunno, he has a point. Obviously there wasn't much R&D going into the PSP Go, especially the R part. Otherwise it wouldn't have been released in this state. :lol

duckroll said:
I dunno, he has a point. Obviously there wasn't much R&D going into the PSP Go, especially the R part. Otherwise it wouldn't have been released in this state. :lol

Sounds like the PS3Phat team got shuffled to the PSPGo team to me!

duckroll said:
Hey, I love my PS3Phat. :D

And I love my 60GB! But it's like all the people that decided FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE YOU HESS DOLL HAIRS was a good idea got together and decided to botch the PSP's success!

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
And I love my 60GB! But it's like all the people that decided FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE YOU HESS DOLL HAIRS was a good idea got together and decided to botch the PSP's success!

Well, I'm the marketing and product management people who decide the price of a product generally aren't the engineering team who designs the actual system. The 60gig PS3 at launch was and still is an amazing piece of hardware. Beats pretty much everything on the market now, including the Slim.

duckroll said:
Well, I'm the marketing and product management people who decide the price of a product generally aren't the engineering team who designs the actual system. The 60gig PS3 at launch was and still is an amazing piece of hardware. Beats pretty much everything on the market now, including the Slim.

Well of course it owns. But it came at a sharp cost, and now the PSPGo has suffered the same fate.

BY THE SAME HANDS.

schuelma said:
DSi LL 67,243
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
PSP 38,839
DSi 37,021
DS Lite 7,268
PSP go 3,809
Xbox 360 3,685
PS2 2,057

I'm a big fan of them splitting up the unit sales between the DS/PSP and the different versions. Wish NPD did the same.

duckroll said:

This is part of the problem at Sony. A good company figures out what product to make and what price it needs to be before producing it. Making something and then going "Okay, how do we sell this?" is completely backwards and explains why Sony has had an identity problem with the PS3 and PSP, and definitely with the PSPgo.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm a big fan of them splitting up the unit sales between the DS/PSP and the different versions. Wish NPD did the same.
Yeah. We'll never really know how poorly the Go sold in the good old U S of A.

Khrno

manueldelalas said:
DSi LL > PSP Go
PSP > DSi
Wii > PS3

2-1 for Nintendo.

If you are doing random comparisons such as LL vs Go, then you have to add: DSL > PS2

3-1 for Nintendo.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
I am a bit surprised that the PS3 managed to hold up for against the Wii for 3 months (12 weeks) in a row (Media Create numbers) before the Wii outsold the PS3 again like the Wii used to do before. Famitsu numbers had the Wii 1 or 2 times above the PS3 in the same 3 month time period i think if i am not mistaken. Good sales for both systems in this week's numbers though! :)

mclem said:
Both of these are actually small but distinct spikes over recent weeks. Statistical noise, LL shortages or The Layton Effect?
I would guess maybe a bit of all these factors (i have no idea about LL shortages though, i havnt heard anything about that at least, but maybe there is some LL shortage?), and maybe also due to the holiday coming up as well.

The PS3 and the Wii also got a boost in hardware sales in this week's numbers, which i would at least guess has something to do with the holiday coming up soon. Maybe some bigger titled upcoming games like for example Final Fantasy 13, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Tales of Graces also had some effects on this week's hardware numbers as well :)

EDIT: I added some text.

androvsky

Dragona Akehi said:

I'd say it's much worse. The 60GB cost much more than $599 to build, but Sony sold it at a loss so they wouldn't get ass-raped by trying to sell an $800+ console. Looking at the hardware the execs were presented with, $599 was a good idea (better idea: don't let Kutaragi get carried away again... taken care of). I'm pretty sure the Go costs Sony about the same as the PSP 3000 to build. If Sony sold the Go for a even a slight loss, we're talking about a $149 system at most now. Granted, it'd only be Sony and a couple large retailers selling it, but at least it wouldn't be a complete joke.

If I remember the rumored retailer margins right, selling a Go for a retailer is about equivalent to selling a PSP with at least six games. So the consumer not only gets to pay retailers six games worth of profit up front, but when they buy games from the PSN, it's at retailer-inflated prices. In other words Go owners effectively pay the retailer margin twice for their first six games (to different entities, granted).

$599 for the PS3 was a much better idea IMO.

AniHawk

androvsky said:
I'd say it's much worse. The 60GB cost much more than $599 to build, but Sony sold it at a loss so they wouldn't get ass-raped by trying to sell an $800+ console. Looking at the hardware the execs were presented with, $599 was a good idea (better idea: don't let Kutaragi get carried away again... taken care of). I'm pretty sure the Go costs Sony about the same as the PSP 3000 to build. If Sony sold the Go for a even a slight loss, we're talking about a $149 system at most now. Granted, it'd only be Sony and a couple large retailers selling it, but at least it wouldn't be a complete joke.

If I remember the rumored retailer margins right, selling a Go for a retailer is about equivalent to selling a PSP with at least six games. So the consumer not only gets to pay retailers six games worth of profit up front, but when they buy games from the PSN, it's at retailer-inflated prices. In other words Go owners effectively pay the retailer margin twice for their first six games (to different entities, granted).

$599 for the PS3 was a much better idea IMO.

You also have to consider that the PSP Go was being developed alongside the price dropped, rebranded, slim version of the PS3. It's mindboggling how they can get so much right while still getting so much wrong.

Brofist

schuelma said:
DSi LL 67,243
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
PSP 38,839
DSi 37,021
DS Lite 7,268
PSP go 3,809
Xbox 360 3,685
PS2 2,057

I have to beat it into the ground at least once a week, but where are the sub 10k PS3 numbers we were promised :lol

Top Bottom