Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

Reposting for new page...

First day sales (sinobi)

[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 113,000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 64,000
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 42,000 (>60% sell-through)
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 40,000
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 21,000
[NDS] Luminous Arc 3 (Marvelous) - 20,000
[NDS] Kyoukugen Dasshutsu 9 Jikan 9 nin 9 no Tobira (Spike) - 15,000
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 14,000
[PSP] Bleach Soul Carnival 2 (SCEJ) - 7,400
[WII] Winning Eleven 2010 Playmaker (Konami) - 4,800
[PSP] R-Type Tactics II (Irem) - 2,600
[360] Samurai Spirits Sen (SNK Playmore) - 2,300
[WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk (Square-Enix) - 1,800
[WII] Toshinden (Takara Tomy) - 1,100
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki Set (Super Price Set) (Falcom) - 1,000
[NDS] Again: FBI Chou-Shinri Shousakan (Tecmo) - 900
[WII] Family Trainer 2 (Namco Bandai) - Uncountable


Prediction League:
- 360 Modern Warfare 2 killed 9 out of 12...with the 3 remaining soldiers having just 3000 points of life left.
 
Cosmonaut X said:
Anyone have first day/first week figures for recent Tales games? Just wondering whether it's possible we'll get a reasonable weekend performance out of ToG or if it's going to underperform DotNW.
Yeah, CVX posted the previous first day's a bit earlier:

cvxfreak said:
Tales of Graces: 113,000 first day!

Compared to 120,000 for the first day of ToS2, 147,000 for PS3 Vesperia and 73,000 for 360 Vesperia.
duckroll also had some first week and LTDs in the previous thread:

duckroll said:
Par for course for Tales games these days.

Title - FW/LTD

Tales of Vesperia PS3 - 227k/312k (still selling)
Tales of the World RM2 - 210k/317k
Tales of Versus - 153k/216k
Tales of Symphonia DotNW - 151k/212k
Tales of Hearts - 141k/259k
Tales of Vesperia 360 - 101k/161k
 
onken said:
Well we don't have any more numbers, so we don't know if it's front loaded at all.
Ups, yes, sorry about it, I thought front loaded meant a huge initial sale not that the benefits were almost exclusively placed at a early period.

No I imagine ToV 360 would be the low point (101k fw).
Well, I disagree on this, 360 has a quite low userbase and ToV sales on it were not normal for it, it was an special situation. PS3 version was one year later and in a system with less userbase than Wii, a new mainline Tales Of in a system with millions of users should be able to compete with it as far as I can see.
 
Looking at the few first day/first week numbers, it seems like:

Tales of Vesperia (PS3) -- 65% of its first week sold on the first day
Tales of Hearts (DS) -- 85% of its first week sold on the first day
Tales of Vesperia (360) -- 72% of its first week sold on the first day
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW (Wii) -- 79% of its first week sold on the first day
Tales of the Abyss (PS2) -- 76% of its first week sold on the first day

So, assuming that those figures offer a reasonable range and ToG doesn't track grossly off either end, that gives a low end figure of 133k for the first week (85% sellthrough first day) up to a high end figure of 174k (65% sellthrough on the first day).

To match Vesperia PS3's opening week, it would have to have what would seem to be an unprecedented 50% first day/first week ratio, so I think that is very unlikely.
 
Dengeki Sales: Nov 30 - Dec 06 (I included a comparison to last week, like donny does, next to the "leggy" titles to show the year-end boost effect.)

01./00. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 938,041 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 287,049 / NEW
03./00. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco Games) - 235,133 / NEW
04./00. [WII] Sengoku Musou 3 (Koei) - 111,861 / NEW
05./00. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5) - 92,661 / 365,517
06./01. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 64,533 / 1,809,523 (+11.3%)
07./00. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu no Daibouken (Pokemon) - 60,311 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 58,507 / NEW
09/.04. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 49,267 / 1,046,554 (+3.4%)
10./00. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 43,559 / NEW
11./05. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 31,239 / 1,610,338 (+9.3%)
12./00. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) 30,640 / NEW
13./00. [WII] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W (Bandai Namco Games) - 25,691 / NEW
14./03. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 24,306 / 73,012
15./06. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon) - 23,794 / 1,512,832 (+7.0%)
16./09. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 22,239 / 1,409,862 (+22.3%)
17./00. [360] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 21,673 / NEW
18./00. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan! Cyber Pegasus (Hudson) - 19,690 / NEW
19./10. [WII] Taiko no Tatusjin Wii: Dodoon to 2 Yome! (Bandai Namco Games) - 19,212 / 61,798 (+9.6%)
20./11. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Blizzard (Level 5) - 17,944 / 372,696 (+15.8%)

Other Software:

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - FW: 874,000 / LTD: 5,290,000
[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - FW: 822,000 / LTD: 1,966,000
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) - FW: 347,000 / LTD: 682,000

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |    112,870 |    114,308 |  3,454,316 | 28,432,407
PSP      |     63,783 |     37,369 |  1,964,417 | 13,113,735
Wii      |    100,254 |     46,219 |  1,418,616 |  9,001,659
PS3      |     54,324 |     43,952 |  1,344,696 |  4,046,839
360      |      4,704 |      4,539 |    332,643 |  1,183,826
PS2      |      2,258 |      1,902 |            |
------------------------------------------------------------   
Total    |    338,193 |    248,289 |
Additional info:
- Total software: 2,744,000 units (+145.1% compared to last week).
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 85% sell-through.
- Phantasy Star Portable 2, 75% sell-through.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/220/220518/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/481/481949/
 
velvet_nitemare said:
Wonder where Namco will put the next Tales game. Every platform now has one, i think.
Actually, there's two platforms where they haven't put any brand new, main line Tales.

Coincidentally, its the same platforms where this year a spinoff and a port have outsold all their other Tales games post-PS2.

Road said:
Coincidence:

GTAIV (PS3/360) -- 104,000 (77,000 + 27,000).
And just after I posted that Modern Warfare 1 was giving GTAIV a fight for the best selling western game this gen.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Reading sinobi talking about Modern Warfare 2, he gives figures for the first one... 177k on PS3, 75k on 360. Should be pretty up to date (and combining re-releases of course), but its surprising how close it is to Grand Theft Auto IV (211k PS3, 56k 360), biggest western title this gen and such.
252k vs 267k, although MW1 is still selling and I guess GTAIV too since it got a budget re-release.
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Reposting for new page...

First day sales (sinobi)

[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 113,000
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 64,000
[360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 42,000 (>60% sell-through)
[PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 40,000
[PSP] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 21,000
[NDS] Luminous Arc (Marvelous) - 20,000
[NDS] Kyoukugen Dasshutsu 9 Jikan 9 nin 9 no Tobira (Spike) - 15,000
[PS2] Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 14,000
[PSP] Bleach Soul Carnival (SCEJ) - 7,400
[WII] Winning Eleven 2010 Playmaker (Konami) - 4,800
[PSP] R-Type Tactics II (Irem) - 2,600
[360] Samurai Spirits Sen (SNK Playmore) - 2,300
[WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk (Square-Enix) - 1,800
[WII] Toshinden (Takara Tomy) - 1,100
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki Set (Super Price Set) (Falcom) - 1,000
[NDS] Again: FBI Chou-Shinri Shousakan (Tecmo) - 900
[WII] Family Trainer 2 (Namco Bandai) - Uncountable


Prediction League:
- 360 Modern Warfare 2 killed 9 out of 12...with the 3 remaining soldiers having just 3000 points of life left.
Ouch ! Such low sales for Bleach Soul Carnival (it's SC2 and not SC Best Version I assume ?), R-Type Tactics 2 and FMA.

Accel 3 is doing okay I guess.
 
duckroll said:
Wow, WE2010 PSP really tanked. That's going to crush my predictions. Oh well.
It really did no good bringing them closer to the PS3/360 editions.

PSP WE2009 - 46k (January)
PSP WE2010 - 21k (December)

PS2 WE2009 - 42k (January)
PS2 WE2010 - 14k (December)

WII WE2009 - 8,5k (May)
WII WE2010 - 4,8k (December)
 
I also think that in a way, the fanbase for the games is really starting to consolidate on the PS3. I've noticed that as the PS3 sales rose for each new installment, the sales for all other platforms started to go down even further. Especially the PS2.
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Actually, there's two platforms where they haven't put any brand new, main line Tales.

Coincidentally, its the same platforms where this year a spinoff and a port have outsold all their other Tales games post-PS2.
Vesperia PS3 was a decent port by all accounts, so i think while not brand new, should count as a PS3 Tales game. What other game do you speak off? A PSP spin-off?

Anyway, i hope they re-use the Vesperia engine in the future, game looked pretty good.
 
duckroll said:
I also think that in a way, the fanbase for the games is really starting to consolidate on the PS3. I've noticed that as the PS3 sales rose for each new installment, the sales for all other platforms started to go down even further. Especially the PS2.
The PSP edition was handling it well, but it seems the December date kills it.

September 2005 WE9 - 244k
December 2006 WE10 - 131k
January 2008 WE2008 - 190k
January 2009 WE2009 - 234k
December 2009 WE2010 - 21k (first day)

Back to January next year I guess. Probably without a PS2 sidekick (it'd be January 2011)...

velvet_nitemare said:
Vesperia PS3 was a decent port by all accounts, so i think while not brand new, should count as a PS3 Tales game. What other game do you speak off? A PSP spin-off?

Anyway, i hope they re-use the Vesperia engine in the future, game looked pretty good.
When you say 'next Tales game' it isn't about ports or spinoffs, its about the next brand new title. Next FF game is FF14 not FF13 International Edition and such.

PSP Radiant Mythology 2 - 318k
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
When you say 'next Tales game' it isn't about ports or spinoffs, its about the next brand new title. Next FF game is FF14 not FF13 International Edition and such.

PSP Radiant Mythology 2 - 318k
Was just counting up the current gen tales games when i said each platform has gotten one.

From that number, they might put the next one on PSP.
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (sinobi)

[NDS] Again: FBI Chou-Shinri Shousakan (Tecmo) - 900
Whoa, seriously?! That's such a massive disappointment! Tecmo should have pushed CiNG's new game more...Do any NeoGAF folk make up that number?
 
Some more comparisons:

[PSP] Naruto Shippuden Narutimate Accel 3 (Namco Bandai) - 40,000
PS2 Accel 1 - 60k
PS2 Accel 2 - 45k

[NDS] Luminous Arc 3 (Marvelous) - 20,000
Exactly like Luminous Arc 2, 20k first day.

[PSP] Bleach Soul Carnival 2 (SCEJ) - 7,400
Soul Carnival 1 did around 10k first day

[PSP] R-Type Tactics II (Irem) - 2,600
R-Type Tactics I did 1700 first day

[WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk (Square-Enix) - 1,800
September FMA Wii did 6,600 first day

[WII] Family Trainer 2 (Namco Bandai) - Uncountable
Family Trainer 1 did 10k first day, 37k first week
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The PSP edition was handling it well, but it seems the December date kills it.

September 2005 WE9 - 244k
December 2006 WE10 - 131k
January 2008 WE2008 - 190k
January 2009 WE2009 - 234k
December 2009 WE2010 - 21k (first day)

Back to January next year I guess. Probably without a PS2 sidekick (it'd be January 2011)...
It would help if Konami started making better WE games for psp too. They keep improving other versions each year but their psp versions are always lazy efforts.

- No replays
- No commentators
- One stadium
- No online
- Gameplay doesn't feel right compared to the same yearly edition on PS2 or Wii
 
I do not really understand why FMA games underperform this much. The manga is a success, the "second" (more manga-based) anime is airing: could it be that readers/watchers are perfectly content with enjoying the franchise on its current medium, and are not interested with playing it?
 
V_Arnold said:
I do not really understand why FMA games underperform this much. The manga is a success, the "second" (more manga-based) anime is airing: could it be that readers/watchers are perfectly content with enjoying the franchise on its current medium, and are not interested with playing it?
Well its not like this is the 1st game ever from FMA. I mean the series has run its course almost twice now, since they are on their 2nd version of the show. Its not Dragonball or One Piece by any means.

They also must just be cheap as hell to make, the 1st one did horrid numbers but yet we get a sequel which by all accounts is going to do even worse numbers.
 
wow@ PES Wii

it is praised as one of the best football games ever and yet it tanks like there is no tommorow

and pretty good numbers for Tales of Graces
 
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai) - 113,000

Jeez, what in the world happened here? I mean, the game did get a pretty solid marketing push, right? If it performs worse than TOS2, then there's definitely a problem here, whether it be the Wii fanbase or just simply Tales saturation. Quite a shame, too.
 
MechaX said:
Jeez, what in the world happened here? I mean, the game did get a pretty solid marketing push, right? If it performs worse than TOS2, then there's definitely a problem here, whether it be the Wii fanbase or just simply Tales saturation. Quite a shame, too.
It only has to sell 26k over the next few days to beat TOS2s first week. I'm sure it will beat that handily, but I'm still disappointed in the numbers overall. It'll be lucky to reach over 250k now. I think the combination of the Wii fanbase and the dilution of Tales is really bringing down the sales potential of the game.
 
Stopsign said:
It only has to sell 26k over the next few days to beat TOS2s first week. I'm sure it will beat that handily, but I'm still disappointed in the numbers overall. It'll be lucky to reach over 250k now. I think the combination of the Wii fanbase and the dilution of Tales is really bringing down the sales potential of the game.
What? ToS DotNW did 120k on the first day, and 151k for the first week. ToG is actually doing less on the first day! :lol
 
V_Arnold said:
I do not really understand why FMA games underperform this much. The manga is a success, the "second" (more manga-based) anime is airing: could it be that readers/watchers are perfectly content with enjoying the franchise on its current medium, and are not interested with playing it?
The new anime was really under performing in ratings and popularity polls (not sure about dvd sales, but if it's not getting good fan reaction it probably won't sell much either), so it's the franchise in general, not only these games. The more casual fans probably didn't react well to the idea of restarting the series.
 
V_Arnold said:
I do not really understand why FMA games underperform this much. The manga is a success, the "second" (more manga-based) anime is airing: could it be that readers/watchers are perfectly content with enjoying the franchise on its current medium, and are not interested with playing it?
It would make a lot of sense if you actually stopped and checked out on what the Wii games are. They're not action adventure/RPGs like the PS2 ones. They're just pure adventure games where you walk around and talk to characters and solve puzzles. The bulk of the games are visual novel style conversations. :p
 
Stopsign said:
It only has to sell 26k over the next few days to beat TOS2s first week. I'm sure it will beat that handily, but I'm still disappointed in the numbers overall. It'll be lucky to reach over 250k now. I think the combination of the Wii fanbase and the dilution of Tales is really bringing down the sales potential of the game.
As Duckroll mentioned, Graces would have to do pretty solid in the week to beat Symphonia 2's first day. It's just quite strange on how a game like this is underperforming (unlike the "tests" from most other third parties, this game was built from the ground up for the Wii, was a tremendously solid effort, and the company actually tried to push the game), especially in comparison to the Vesperia port and a spin-off of Radiant Mythology 2.
 
MechaX said:
As Duckroll mentioned, Graces would have to do pretty solid in the week to beat Symphonia 2's first day. It's just quite strange on how a game like this is underperforming (unlike the "tests" from most other third parties, this game was built from the ground up for the Wii, was a tremendously solid effort, and the company actually tried to push the game), especially in comparison to the Vesperia port and a spin-off of Radiant Mythology 2.
I'm pretty sure Graces will beat out DotNW over the weekend. What the first day sales indicate to me is that the hardcore fanbase of Tales are definitely still on Sony systems. They are more dedicated to buying the games on the first day (and maybe buying the games at all in the first place... we shall see). What might boost Graces over the weekend are the younger audience who are fans of the series but will likely pick up the game when they're out over the weekend instead of making a special trip down to the store on a weekday just to pick up the game.
 
duckroll said:
It would make a lot of sense if you actually stopped and checked out on what the Wii games are. They're not action adventure/RPGs like the PS2 ones. They're just pure adventure games where you walk around and talk to characters and solve puzzles. The bulk of the games are visual novel style conversations. :p
Ah, that explains it, I guess. Thank you : )
 
Dang wii, you get a solid epic game for a change, you would think with such a drought it would actually do better, not worse then most Tales games. I have to agree DQX happening seems very low.
 
gkrykewy said:
Perhaps, like NSMB Wii, Tales' "rest of week" will be surprisingly robust.
Here's the sad news, even if ToG -doubles- the first day sales by the end of the weekend, it would still have sold less than ToV PS3 in the first week. Let's put it all in perspective. A brand new mainline Tales game, with great reviews, brand new gameplay, a good amount of marketing push, and basically no negative flags before release.... has been completely outsold by a year old port of the 360 game on the PS3.

No more excuses. No more "tests". No more delusions.
 
Yes, I'm sure that will be a massive hit.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm all for Japanese third-party console developers scrounging for whatever revenue they can get across all the platforms. Clearly, the home console ecosystem in Japan is not at all healthy with the exception of Nintendo first party.