• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
Why not make the Wii and port to the PSP?

Maybe that's what they will do, I don't know.

Anyways, let's just see how it keeps selling before be make any more broad pronouncements.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know this is the Media Create thread but I have to be honest, I think the only really interesting sales discussion about ToG has in it is how well it does in America, assuming that it comes over there.

Will the ToS->TOS2 effect still work on another Wii game with no direct ties to the initial success? I don't know but I'm anxious to see what comes of it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
radcliff said:
But costs of a new mainline Tales game on an HD console have to be considered as well.
Not for most japanese developed titles. JRPGs haven't evolved one bit since PS2 days - I haven't followed ToG that closely, but I honestly can't see anything that differentiates it from ToV (that would actually affect costs noticeably).

I bet that the cheaper of the two is the one with less content, regardless of the platform.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Are we going to have this week's Famitsu leak sometime this year?
I'm a little surprised from the underperformance of Winning Eleven and Graces (at least from first day sales) and very surprised from Modern Warfare 2 numbers.
Since there is no Famitsu leak the only chart that can be updated is this:

Wii performance after price cut (Media Create)

Code:
week	 2007	 2008	 2009
 40	 20.704	 25.330	 35.392
 41	 20.575	 22.877	 30.741
 42	 24.932	 26.024	 29.965
 43	 27.502	 24.292	 25.917
 44	 37.617	 23.123	 28.888
 45	 34.546	 24.726	 31.810
 46	 36.230	 26.787	 26.764
 47	 54.362	 35.298	 32.844
 48	 74.764	 49.848	 46.673
 49	115.057	 56.702	106.555
 50	170.558	 91.641	
 51	232.907	131.054	
 52	152.209	134.958

WII YTD: 1.419.425
PS3 YTD: 1.341.811
DIF YTD: 77.614

And for the usual suspects

Famitsu 360:
As of 29/11/09 I have 276 games with the total software being 5.154.548. Using geocities (mainly) and Moor-Angol's sites there are 6 more games and at least half of the games of the list have more up to date LTDs. Is that guy from geocities having access to Enterbrain 360 weekly report or something?

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
Are we going to have this week's Famitsu leak sometime this year?
?

Yeah who knows what is going on. This is getting ridiculous.

Vinnk

For me it was a matter of being cash strapped. I love RPGs but I can't afford both FFXIII and ToG in one month. And it's not just the money but also the amount of available game time. I can't beat ToG in time for FFXIII so I might as well get it later when I can devote more time to it. I am not sure how many people are in the same situation but I bet any hardcore tales fan has both the Wii and PS3 (or 360 I suppose). Then again these Otaku gamers seem to have money (and time) to burn so maybe it doesn't matter so much.

Kenka

I really feel like asking everybody to STFU about Tales of Graces.

C'mon guys, are you trying to criticize its first day sales ? The thing will climb to 300k minimum. Maybe it'll reach 400k.

So, let's not turn into jesters, please.

schuelma

Kenka said:

C'mon guys, are you trying to criticize its first day sales ? The thing will climb to 300k minimum. Maybe it'll reach 400k. So, let's not turn into jesters please.

There is no way it will reach 400K. No way. None.

I do agree that some of the talk is overblown. It had a disappointing first day relative to ToS:KoR and Vesperia PS3. Doesn't mean it will have the same multiplier as KoR..we'll have to see. If I had to bet, I would guess it will end up at around 170K first week and get close to 300K LTD, helped by the holiday season. Or maybe it will do worse than a mediocre spinoff and not break 200K, in which case I would imagine Namco would be done with the series on the Wii.

onken

Kenka said:

C'mon guys, are you trying to criticize its first day sales ? The thing will climb to 300k minimum. Maybe it'll reach 400k.

You're the only jester here if you think it's going to reach 400k.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
We didn't get the sell through. Namco shipped over 260,000 copies of Taiko 2 on day 1, and sold 14,000 that day. Its Namco after all...

Are you saying they might have overshipped Graces to such an extent that it will sell for years for like 900 yen and in 2013 hit 400K?

Road

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu 360:
As of 29/11/09 I have 276 games with the total software being 5.154.548. Using geocities (mainly) and Moor-Angol's sites there are 6 more games and at least half of the games of the list have more up to date LTDs. Is that guy from geocities having access to Enterbrain 360 weekly report or something?
If you pay attention, he says from where he's updating the numbers on the site (now it says it was from this week Famitsu magazine). I've seen him mention Famitsu 360 before (as well as the others specific magazines).

Sometimes he gets random LTD updates from the magazines. I've seen them posted in 2ch, but I've never seen any scan to know from where they're really coming. (It's also worth mentioning I've only started watching the numbers recently.)

schuelma said:
Are you saying they might have overshipped Graces to such an extent that it will sell for years for like 900 yen and in 2013 hit 400K?
Heh, who knows, I still wonder where are the rest of the 301k copies Namco claims to have shipped of Tales of the Tempest in Japan while trackers give it a 200k total.

Btw, there isn't a single tales game announced right now, when was the last time this happened?
Maybe Namco is done with the series!

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Heh, who knows, I still wonder where are the rest of the 301k copies Namco claims to have shipped of Tales of the Tempest in Japan while trackers give it a 200k total.

Btw, there isn't a single tales game announced right now, when was the last time this happened?
Maybe Namco is done with the series!

I bet we'll get another announcement at Jump. My money is on Vesperia 2.

Acosta

Kenka said:

That the news make you unhappy is irrelevant for this thread. The first day sales of the game are really poor and that's a fact, that's what we are discussing, same way everyone (sane) here agrees that NSMB sales are phenomenal.

Another vote for Vesperia 2 here, probably multi but simultaneous this time.

Kenka said:

Expecting a modern Tales to triple or quadruple its first day sales is pretty out there. They're lucky to double.

EDIT: Fair to qualify that the DS ones have been a bit more leggy, but the one for Wii wasn't.

Kenka

JoshuaJSlone said:
Expecting a modern Tales to triple or quadruple its first day sales is pretty out there. They're lucky to double.

EDIT: Fair to qualify that the DS ones have been a bit more leggy, but the one for Wii wasn't.

400k ? It's possible. I stand to it. Mostly because the Wii has gaines more exposure during this week with this +128% bump from last week. I can very well see casual gamers pick it up this Christmas with new light shed on the Wii thanks to NSMB Wii.

And, seriously, I still don't get the "Graces bomb" thing. It makes me want to puke. I'd be very happy to see those people eat crow.

><

Opiate

I think the Japanese situation is fairly simple, and in many ways, resembles the Western situation.

The Wii seems to sell to a diverse group of people. I'm sure there are some young males in there, but there are also children (both genders) and elderly (both genders). The last we saw, Nintendo proudly trumpeted the gender split on their systems, with the Wii being 40/60 female/male -- a far higher share of women than any system I've ever heard of.

However, most Japanese developers make games for 12-30 year old males (and, I believe, with a specifically nerdy bent, although that may be controversial). JRPGs, action games like DMC or Bayonetta, Metal Gear, sports games like WE, and so forth, are all heavily focused on male interests, and these are (by and large) the headlining games of most third parties.

In contrast to the Wii, the PS3 seems to be comprised primarily of this young male demographic. Again, while Nintendo intended their graphs showing the diverse userbase to be a good thing, if you're making a game like Metal Gear, I doubt that's something you want to hear. That franchise clearly focuses on male interests, so from the perspective of Metal Gear developers, all this means is that half the user base is going to ignore your game, because most girls have little interest in pretending to be a super spy fighting mecha robots.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:
400k ? It's possible. I stand to it. Mostly because the Wii has gaines more exposure during this week with this +128% bump from last week. I can very well see casual gamers pick it up this Christmas with new light shed on the Wii thanks to NSMB Wii.

And, seriously, I still don't get the "Graces bomb" thing. It makes me want to puke. I'd be very happy to see those people eat crow.

><
No one says it bombed (hmm, on a second thought maybe some say that). But definetely first day sales are underwhelming.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Opiate said:
I think the Japanese situation is fairly simple, and in many ways, resembles the Western situation.

The Wii seems to sell to a diverse group of people. I'm sure there are some young males in there, but there are also children (both genders) and elderly (both genders). The last we saw, Nintendo proudly trumpeted the gender split on their systems, with the Wii being 40/60 female/male -- a far higher share of women than any system I've ever heard of.

However, most Japanese developers make games for 12-30 year old males (and, I believe, with a specifically nerdy bent, although that may be controversial). JRPGs, action games like DMC or Bayonetta, Metal Gear, sports games like WE, and so forth, are all heavily focused on male interests, and these are (by and large) the headlining games of most third parties.

In contrast to the Wii, the PS3 seems to be comprised primarily of this young male demographic. Again, while Nintendo intended their graphs showing the diverse userbase to be a good thing, if you're making a game like Metal Gear, I doubt that's something you want to hear. That franchise clearly focuses on male interests, so from the perspective of Metal Gear developers, all this means is that half the user base is going to ignore your game, because most girls have little interest in pretending to be a super spy fighting mecha robots.
I didn't know that Monster Hunter 3 targets to the 40/60 female/male. Good to know that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jeremy1456 said:
So you're admitting to being wrong?

It didn't do horribly.

But recent "Tales of" games have been a serious decline from series highs and this looks like it's going to fall short of a year old port and roughly tie a low budget spinoff. Where would you set the threshold for "horrible"?

Opiate

Chris1964 said:
I didn't know that Monster Hunter 3 targets to the 40/60 female/male. Good to know that.

I really don't want to get in to list wars.

I'll just reiterate that Nintendo itself provided that 40/60 split information, as well as information showing that they appeal to a wide variety of ages. It seems absolutely logical that games which appeal strongly to a single demographic but have virtually no appeal outside that demographic -- such as Metal Gear -- would underperform compared to user base size. Generally speaking, for such a game, the "diverse users" who fall outside the target demographic might as well not own the system.

I'm also not saying that "diverse users" is an inherently a bad thing. In fact, one could easily argue it's very good, as a general concept. But regardless of theory and concept, in the real world, most third parties do not make games for a diverse userbase. It's not a slight on Nintendo or third parties, it's just a recognition that most third parties take an approach (hit a single demographic as hard as they can) that is different than Nintendo's (attract a diverse base of users and players), and it reflects in the struggles third parties seem to have on the Wii.

Opiate

jeremy1456 said:
So you're admitting to being wrong?

It didn't do horribly.

It looks like it's going to do worse than a port of a game that came out a year ago. And this is before we consider the holiday impact. What exactly is the threshold for "horrible" sales? Would we define it instead as "thoroughly mediocre" or "disappointing?"

I'm really not interested in splitting those semantic hairs. If we can all agree that it did worse than we might expect it to in context, then let's leave it at that.

VerTiGo

Banned
Opiate said:
It looks like it's going to do worse than a port of a game that came out a year ago. And this is before we consider the holiday impact. What exactly is the threshold for "horrible" sales? Would we define it instead as "thoroughly mediocre" or "disappointing?"

I'm really not interested in splitting those semantic hairs. If we can all agree that it did worse than we might expect it to in context, then let's leave it at that.

It's performing worse based on what? First day sales? Didn't Dawn of the New World outsell Tales of Vesperia in the long-run despite front-loaded sales of Vesperia on the Xbox 360? I don't see how those first day sales can be a black mark on the game's overall sales potential during a strong December month for Nintendo hardware wise. New Super Mario Bros. as well as Basara and Tales of bundles are a bit of a wildcard here. I think it'll improve the overall performance of strong Wii software for the month at least.

How about something optimistic?

It passed Vesperia 360's 1st Week on the 1st day, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Also, wouldn't it be fair to credit Vesperia's high PS3 sales to the fact that it sorta had free advertising when it was on the 360? The game itself got out there, just not for the platform it was also later released on. See what I'm saying?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Opiate you say that Metal Gear would underperform on Wii because it appeals only to a single demographic that isn't strong on the system, and probably Monster Hunter 3 didn't underperform (or did it?) because it appeals to both males/females. I'm not from Japan but I don't think that's the case with Monster Hunter. Maybe someone from Japan can enlight us on this.

MechaX

Kenka said:

><

No one is saying that Graces bombed (Bombed like Sin and Punishment 2 or Crystal Bearers, for instance). What most (myself included) have been saying is that the first day sales are disappointing. If it manages to double its lead or if it manages to have awesome legs, no skin off my back; that will encourage Namco to make more high quality RPGs for the system. But given the trends of virtually hundreds of other games, Tales games especially, we can hypothesize that the fortuante situations will not likely happen and we can also see that it did worse than Tales RPGs that had a lot less effort put into them.

In addition, this also throws some wrenches into the Wii third party software situation in Japan altogether. If Graces underperforms, then we have to wonder why a game with a lot of quality put into it still underperformed like the tests and spinoffs.

Hero of Legend said:

It passed Vesperia 360's 1st Week on the 1st day, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Also, wouldn't it be fair to credit Vesperia's high PS3 sales to the fact that it sorta had free advertising when it was on the 360? The game itself got out there, just not for the platform it was also later released on. See what I'm saying?

Come on now. Just accept it and let it go.

duckroll said:
What? ToS DotNW did 120k on the first day, and 151k for the first week. ToG is actually doing less on the first day! :lol

Sorry I'm late on the response, but I was mixing trackers there without realizing. In Media-Create TOS2 did 139k. Didn't realize that the situation was that dire for ToG.

Spiegel

Hero of Legend said:

Best (worst) spin ever.

The last phrase/paragraph is amazing.

schuelma

I don't see why we don't table this discussion until we actually get 1st week, and even 2nd week numbers. There is enough variation in the weekend ratio's recently that there is a wide spectrum of what Graces could end up doing. At first glance, ToS:KoR would seem too provide the most insight, but I suspect it will do better (possible theories- since it was a quasi sequel it had more up front business, probably didn't have great word of mouth, Graces is releasing in the most favorable Wii environment in a while).

Anyways, I think Opiate's theory certainly holds some validity but I would argue it holds less in Japan than in N.A. Monster Hunter 3 selling to mostly the existing Wii audience would seem to blow a rather significant hole in that theory. I do think its very likely that the general RPG audience is much more prevelant on the PS3 because I think people have been buying the system for the FF13 projects since day one. That's my own personal theory on Vesperia's PS3 success.

kswiston

Hero of Legend said:

I know user bases are not the be-all end-all of game sales, but Vesperia launched to a 360 user base of a little over 600k. Wii is closing on 9 million.

Opiate

Chris1964 said:
Opiate you say that Metal Gear would underperform on Wii because it appeals only to a single demographic that isn't strong on the system, and probably Monster Hunter 3 didn't underperform (or did it?) because it appeals to both males/females. I'm not from Japan but I don't think that's the case with Monster Hunter. Maybe someone from Japan can enlight us on this.

I would say that 1) A single counter example isn't strong evidence, particularly when that game has such exceptional pull, and 2) while I would hardly call MH3 a failure, I also wouldn't call it a runaway success, compared to expectations.

I could produce the long list of games that have underperformed slightly or significantly on the Wii -- including games made by Nintendo itself, which focus on young males -- but I won't, because this is not the evidence my argument is based on, and we've had enough of these list wars for a lifetime. I'm asking you again, Chris, please stop.

Instead, my argument is based on evidence provided by Nintendo, coupled with obvious common sense. Taking the example even further, to make the point clearly, imagine if you have a user base that is 90% young girls. Would making a game that appeals very strongly to older males (with violence, sexuality, or reliance on typical male archetypes such as swords or guns or cars) be a good idea? No. Even with a user base of 20 million., the vast majority of the user base simply wouldn't be accessible to your product. Is this seriously something you're arguinig against? It should be obvious, common sense stuff.

markatisu

What I find amusing is how Vesparia PS3 which had new content, rode on the back of essentially a system reboot and already had good word of mouth is now "just a port" less than a month later

This has nothing to do with ToG, it just seems funny to me given the excitement and obvious appeal of Vesparia on the PS3 is now reduced to being talked about as it was some cheap cash in.

schuelma

Opiate said:
I would say that 1) A single counter example isn't strong evidence, particularly when that game has such exceptional pull, and 2) while I would hardly call MH3 a failure, I also wouldn't call it a runaway success, compared to expectations.

I could produce the long list of games that have underperformed slightly or significantly on the Wii -- including games made by Nintendo itself, which focus on young males -- but I won't, because this is not the evidence my argument is based on, and we've had enough of these list wars for a lifetime. I'm asking you again, Chris, please stop.

Again on Monster Hunter, compared to initial expectations it was absolutely an unqualified success. Based on last minute predictions do to the huge shipment, maybe not. But you can't just dismiss it as a single example when it absolutely dwarfs any other 3rd party attempt at gaining that type of audience.

As far as Nintendo's own games in Japan, I don't know if I buy that. For every Takt of Magic you have something like Fatal Frame, Paper Mario, or Fire Emblem that has performed very similar (or better) to past iterations.

schuelma

markatisu said:
What I find amusing is how Vesparia PS3 which had new content, rode on the back of essentially a system reboot and already had good word of mouth is now "just a port" less than a month later

This has nothing to do with ToG, it just seems funny to me given the excitement and obvious appeal of Vesparia on the PS3 is now reduced to being talked about as it was some cheap cash in.

I do think there should be a distinction made when you are porting something from a dead system.

markatisu said:

Um, it IS a year old port. All those things don't change that one big thing it had going against it.

gkryhewy

markatisu said:

I would agree with this, but cherry picking to make a point certainly isn't new to the internet.

markatisu

velvet_nitemare said:
Um, it IS a year old port. All those things don't change that one big thing it had going against it.

Which would be what?

Tales has a devoted fanbase, adding new content to a game 1yr later and making it an attractive option to those jumping in to the PS3 does not put the game at a disadvantage, even though GAF predicted it would

kswiston

markatisu said:
Which would be what?

Tales has a devoted fanbase, adding new content to a game 1yr later and making it an attractive option to those jumping in to the PS3 does not put the game at a disadvantage, even though GAF predicted it would

Being a one year old port still puts it at a disadvantage for LTD sales. Tales of Vesperia wouldn't have sold the same 500k+ as a PS3 only title, but it might have hit 375-400k. I'm sure there was some heavy double dipping by 360 owners, but it's not like all 200k Tales of Vesperia (360) owners went out and re-purchased the game.

gkrykewy said:
I would agree with this, but cherry picking to make a point certainly isn't new to the internet.

I hope you are tarring everybody with the same brush and not just those you disagree with, because there's more than enough cherry picking on both sides to go around.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I hope you are tarring everybody with the same brush and not just those you disagree with, because there's more than enough cherry picking on both sides to go around.

So true. I've seen a poster derided for spinning for putting forward similar arguments.

obonicus

markatisu said:

Okay, so why is Graces performing like it is? If the devoted fanbase will go wherever Tales games go, why isn't it doing ToV PS3 numbers? It's a completely new game with all-new content. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the Wii?

Is it a question of not building up the userbase of the PS3? The Wii had a couple of Tales games on the system already, unlike the PS3. The biggest RPG on the PS3 to that point was what, WKC? Was it the flood of GUST and Nippon Ichi RPGs that made the difference?

Spiegel said:
- Months have been passing and japanese third parties keep announcing games for DS/PS3/360/PSP

No. :lol

schuelma said:
I bet we'll get another announcement at Jump. My money is on Vesperia 2.

Errr... why?

Opiate said:
That franchise clearly focuses on male interests, so from the perspective of Metal Gear developers, all this means is that half the user base is going to ignore your game, because most girls have little interest in pretending to be a super spy fighting mecha robots.

I don't think there's any inherent reason that girls wouldn't be interested in playing a game where they're a super spy who fights robots, but I would agree that Metal Gear is not generally going to appeal to women. :lol

obonicus said:
Is there something fundamentally wrong with the Wii?

That's almost too easy.

Was it the flood of GUST and Nippon Ichi RPGs that made the difference?

It does not seem entirely unreasonable to believe that PS3's position as the home of low-grade slightly-pervy moe bullshit would help it out on selling Tales games, now that you mention it.

obonicus

charlequin said:
It does not seem entirely unreasonable to believe that PS3's position as the home of low-grade slightly-pervy moe bullshit would help it out on selling Tales games, now that you mention it.

And yet we get no HD region-free idolm@ster. I mean, they don't.

Top Bottom