• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: November 15-21

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:
Does Media Create count NSMB Wii as a 4M-seller too ?
Media Create
{22/05/06 - 31/10/10} 0001. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 899.518 / 6.007.850
{30/11/09 - 31/10/10} 0001. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {03/12/09} - 934.739 / 4.019.462

Famitsu
{22/05/06 - 14/11/10} 0001. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 865.024 / 5.934.958
{30/11/09 - 28/11/10} 0001. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {03/12/09} - 936.734 / 4.001.276

Tenbatsu

More more more!
fx7b4w.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
Media Create
{22/05/06 - 31/10/10} 0001. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 899.518 / 6.007.850
{30/11/09 - 31/10/10} 0001. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {03/12/09} - 934.739 / 4.019.462

Famitsu
{22/05/06 - 14/11/10} 0001. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 865.024 / 5.934.958
{30/11/09 - 28/11/10} 0001. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {03/12/09} - 936.734 / 4.001.276

Excellent. These two milestones should be underlined.

Spiegel

Lines:
gha0ml.jpg

b6QGFl.jpg

b9pLXl.jpg

And updating the comgnet preorder chart now that this is the day MHP3 is released
Name - Points - First Week Sales

Monster Hunter Portable 3 - 5024 p - ????
Dragon Quest VIII - 4285 p - 2.23M
Final Fantasy XII - 3510 p - 1.84M
Pokemon Black & White - 3405 p - 2.63M
Final Fantasy X-2 - 3285 p - 1.47M
Dragon Quest IX - 2917 p - 2.34M
Monster Hunter Portable 2G - 2568 p - 0.82M
Monster Hunter Portable 2 - 2561 p - 0.74M
Final Fantasy XIII - 2201 p - 1.51M

Reminder: As everyone can see in that list, having a huge number of points doesn't guarantee having the biggest number of sales.

Holy fuck, son.

Its a shame we don't have any sort of dedication to games like that in the UK. I'd join a queue in the UK for something.

When GTA IV launched I was the only sad bastard outside GAME 5 minutes before it opened.

Glix

Holy crap at those lines.

I saw the big Golden Sun drop :( Do we have LTD numbers? Is it doing well enough for a sequel to be greenlit? Do we have any hope of even decent US/EU sales?

Grimmy

Banned
Famitsu says that some shops have already sold out. I would hate to be in those lines, only to get to the cashier and have them say it's sold out...

KingDizzi

Banned
YAY the real fun starts now! The initial shipment for the game seems low so any idea how quickly Capcom could ship another batch?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Best openings in Japan (Famitsu)

{13/09/10 - 19/09/10} 01. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {18/09/10} - 2.637.285
{08/02/99 - 14/02/99} 02. [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) {11/02/99} - 2.504.044
{06/07/09 - 12/07/09} 03. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) {11/07/09} - 2.343.440
{22/11/04 - 28/11/04} 04. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) {27/11/04} - 2.236.881
{27/01/97 - 02/02/97} 05. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) {31/01/97} - 2.034.879

{29/11/10 - 05/12/10} 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {01/12/10}

At least we won't wait one full week to get the numbers.

Spiegel

@cvxfreak cvxfreak
Yodobashi Shinjuku West sold out. The line I was in earlier was for standbys. Severely undershipped game!

[Nintex]

Inafune: "I'm leaving Capcom, spreading my wings, I sure hope I get the respect I deserve now, us creators need to be free from cages and sequels and and"

Japan: "And not a single fuck was given that day"

duckroll

Undershipping MHP3 is not a bad idea, especially when sales started at like 7am in the morning on a Wednesday. They have plenty of time to restock the game quickly, and still keep sales going well into the weekend.

ccbfan

So whose fault is this massive under shipment?

I mean I've never heard of a game selling out this fast that people that showed up to wait in line couldn't even get a copy.

Did Capcom decide to under ship for whatever reason?

Did the retailers decide not to order too much after the whole MH3 insta bomba bin debacle.

Or did MHP3 just got way more demand then expected?

There's no reason the initial shipment is not 2 mil. Even it it doesnt sell out this week, it will by the end of December.

Takao

Banned
Wowzers, don't they all know Medabots DS has been out for months? .... :(

Those are some insane lines.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Woah, those are some huge lines for Gran Turismo. Haters are going to get owned when the numbers come out next week!

I was going to go with Kinect at first!

Blablurn

i remember when i played the first monster hunter on ps2. i was like "what the eff is this crap". and now it became one of the most successfull franchises ever in japan. whats the magic behind it? is it just the portable factor which had a huge inpact on the franchise?

and i wonder who gets the next portable monster hunter. the 3DS or the PSP2?

mehdi_san

I really don't understand why Japanese people enjoy lining up so much... There are just so many other ways to get your game (Amazon, Rakuten, all the electronic stores websites, even convenience stores sell games now...) without having to go through all of that :(

Blablurn said:
i remember when i played the first monster hunter on ps2. i was like "what the eff is this crap". and now it became one of the most successfull franchises ever in japan. whats the magic behind it? is it just the portable factor which had a huge inpact on the franchise?

and i wonder who gets the next portable monster hunter. the 3DS or the PSP2?

Sony would be dumb not to throw money at Capcom for it. Imagine a Monster Hunter as a launch title for the PSP2.

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
I really don't understand why Japanese people enjoy lining up so much... There are just so many other ways to get your game (Amazon, Rakuten, all the electronic stores websites, even convenience stores sell games now...) without having to go through all of that :(

How is it just "Japanese people" though? It's like that anywhere in the world with big releases. People queue for movie premieres, they queue for sales, they queue for Halo, they queue for Starcraft. What does it have to do with Japan? Lining up for something you've been looking forward to, together with friends and like-minded fans, is a tradition that exists outside of any specific culture.

Takao

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Sony would be dumb not to throw money at Capcom for it. Imagine a Monster Hunter as a launch title for the PSP2.

I can see Monster Hunter Portable 3rd G being a good candidate for launch.

mehdi_san

duckroll said:
How is it just "Japanese people" though? It's like that anywhere in the world with big releases. People queue for movie premieres, they queue for sales, they queue for Halo, they queue for Starcraft. What does it have to do with Japan? Lining up for something you've been looking forward to, together with friends and like-minded fans, is a tradition that exists outside of any specific culture.
Movie premiers are different, you can't get them from Amazon so you don't really have the choice. Same thing for sales, you have to go to the store. About games such as Halo and Starcraft in the West, isn't it only for stores that do midnight launches? People don't really line up in front of stores that open at 10am do they? I am not sure about this one. Anyway, it seems to me that Japanese people are actually enjoying this way too much, as if most of the fun in a new game release was actually lining up for it.

Grimmy

Banned
mehdi_san said:
Movie premiers are different, you can't get them from Amazon so you don't really have the choice. Same thing for sales, you have to go to the store. About games such as Halo and Starcraft in the West, isn't it only for stores that do midnight launches? People don't really line up in front of stores that open at 10am do they? I am not sure about this one. Anyway, it seems to me that Japanese people are actually enjoying this way too much, as if most of the fun in a new game release was actually lining up for it.

Amazon.co.jp sold of out MHP3 quite a while back already. There's not even an option to buy it on the site right now, so it's not like people are waiting to have fun - they just want the game. And from twitters it seems people are going to 2-3 shops only to be told that it's sold out.

duckroll

mehdi_san said:

You can book movie tickets in advance on the internet. You can get great sale prices online at Amazon and various other online stores as well. You can preorder big games from any online store as well. It's no different at all. Once again you use words like "Japanese people" as if enjoying queuing up for something you have been waiting for is something unique to Japanese culture. I'm telling you that there's nothing unique about it. It's something lots of people enjoy doing, and by trying to paint it as Japanese you are being very ignorant.

These are not queues for stores to open at 10am btw. This is a special launch for MHP3 in Japan at major stores in Tokyo, where they started selling the copies at 7am this morning. Did you know that? Probably not. But you probably don't care and will continue to make ignorant remarks. Such is typical of the French.

See, I can do it too!

apana

Takao said:
Wowzers, don't they all know Medabots DS has been out for months? .... :(

Those are some insane lines.

SMH...I knew I should have made this joke when I had the chance.

cvxfreak

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was easily the biggest morning game launch ever. Even DQIX doesn't quite compare. Pokemon Black and White were huge, but that was a staggered launch with customers in and out of shops the entire day. Given the older MH fanbase, it make sense for it to have a big morning. The issue now is that so many stores are selling out, so the buzz should be done by this afternoon. Hopefully Capcom has daily shipments, because due to the early launch, this is their chance to steal the debut record from Pokemon BW and FFVIII.

By the way, if Amazon JP could have fulfilled 2 million pre-orders, then no one would be out in line right now. But they can't, so it's a moot point. :p

mehdi_san

duckroll said:
You can book movie tickets in advance on the internet. You can get great sale prices online at Amazon and various other online stores as well. You can preorder big games from any online store as well. It's no different at all. Once again you use words like "Japanese people" as if enjoying queuing up for something you have been waiting for is something unique to Japanese culture. I'm telling you that there's nothing unique about it. It's something lots of people enjoy doing, and by trying to paint it as Japanese you are being very ignorant.

These are not queues for stores to open at 10am btw. This is a special launch for MHP3 in Japan at major stores in Tokyo, where they started selling the copies at 7am this morning. Did you know that? Probably not. But you probably don't care and will continue to make ignorant remarks. Such is typical of the French.

See, I can do it too!
I am NOT French :((((

Top Bottom