• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: November 29, 2010 - December 5, 2010

Datschge

Grimmy said:
How am I changing the topic? If you see my post above, I'm challenging the notion that Nakiriki Dungeon X is somehow a "mothership" game suddenly. If they spent 4x the staff to remake a game that originally sold 139,000 copies, packaged with a game they milked to death already, and somehow expect to get much, much bigger sales, then they are fools. A remake of a spinoff IS a spinoff and not suddenly a mothership game - regardless of budget and even quality, and I don't see how Namco could change this perception, even with a ton of marketing. As I stated above, a) the Tales team put their effort on the wrong spinoff series.

And even their PSP audience got sick of Namco milking the series by releasing PS2 port after PS2 port - I can't blame them for the "embarrassing lows" of those port sales. Just look at Bepbo's Tales collection - even such a big fan like him didn't bother getting the Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Destiny 2 PSP ports. Somehow blaming the PSP audience as "not being there for a mothership-like game" is disingenuous, and I stand by it.
Bebpo: "ToPX Narikiri Dungeon is basically a mothership Tales in the same way ToD R was on the PS2."
Developer effort wise this statement is true. Sales wise this developer effort was not worth it. Publishing wise Bandai Namco completely dropped the balls on this one with the idiotic inclusion of a tweaked port-port-port (in which the NDX developer was not involved) and giving it this much room in the marketing. What the PSP audience keeps buying are the RM games, so those will keep coming. Single player story focussed games repeatedly fared comparatively bad on both portable systems, so those won't come anymore.

Baki said:
Capcom? SE? Konami? The list goes on.

And it doesn't hurt they put their big hitters on the system as well.

Oh and I should also point out that what you're referring to is uninspired support not neccessarily poor support. No-one in their right mind would call putting your biggest franchise on a platform an indication of poor support.
We've gone over SE's support, they played catch up with the remakes, nothing to write home bout. Capcom? Konami? Yea if you think a couple hundred thousand selling games as establishing brands.

You should really get over DQIX, the DS got that by default, why do you think the Wii is getting DQX?

onken

BishopLamont said:
Yeah seriously, I don't know how any MC regular who's been through all this can honestly think the DS has "good" third party support. :/

Late, but wow.

Kenka

BishopLamont said:
What an achievement, and to think it only needed pure domination for a good few years to get that!

I do agree that DS took off almost solely due to Nintendo's own efforts with the Touch generation + Jump Super Stars, and that third-parties did not help in a significant way in DS' sales surge.

But don't forget that DS got games like Dragon Ball and DQM : Rocket Slime as well as Tamagotchi that all ended up selling 300'000+. It got Prince of Tennis, Death Note and actually many more games that PSP in its very first year.

So, I don't think that third-parties were actually slow, or that they threw low-profile games on DS on purpose. DQMJ, FF III, Phoenix Wright came soon after. And the overall library, even in the DS first two years, was far from ridiculous. And PSP dominated the weekly charts for almost six months in the beginning so we should actually have seen outing their preference to the PSP at an early stage, which didn't really happen.

duckroll

faridmon said:
The YTD of DS is still ahead of the PSPs one. Tight race this year. I wonder who will come on top...

:lol at GT5

With Ninokuni being the only new title of decent size being able to drive DS sales in December, I think the PSP has YTD in the bag unless something shocking happens in the next few weeks.

faridmon

duckroll said:
With Ninokuni being the only new title of decent size being able to drive DS sales in December, I think the PSP has YTD in the bag unless something shocking happens in the next few weeks.
Doesn't Nintendo Hardware always gets a decent bump around holiday time? Even without games?

Kenka

faridmon said:
Doesn't Nintendo Hardware always gets a decent bump around holiday time? Even without games?

I ruled out the possibility a week ago but MHP3's effects on hardware were so devastating that I don't really know anymore. We know shit about PSP's sales next week. It is the key.

Grimmy

Banned
Datschge said:
Bebpo: "ToPX Narikiri Dungeon is basically a mothership Tales in the same way ToD R was on the PS2."
Developer effort wise this statement is true. Sales wise this developer effort was not worth it. Publishing wise Bandai Namco completely dropped the balls on this one with the idiotic inclusion of a tweaked port-port-port (in which the NDX developer was not involved) and giving it this much room in the marketing. What the PSP audience keeps buying are the RM games, so those will keep coming. Single player story focussed games repeatedly fared comparatively bad on both portable systems, so those won't come anymore.

Was NDX worth the effort? Probably not, and that is their own stupidity for expecting a 139,000 copies-selling spinoff to suddenly sell way more (note: their mothership Tales remake, ToDr, sold less than 1/3 of the original ToD). If they were disappointed with the resulting sales then they should all be fired, because what did they expect? A duck is a duck - you can't dress up a duck with higher budget and more development time and expect it to become a swan.

Does all this mean that there's no Tales fanbase for a REAL Tales mothership game on the PSP? We don't know, because the PSP never GOT a mothership game, period. You keep on mentioning sales failing on the PSP and I don't see it at all. Heck, they got 200,000 fools to buy that crappy Tales of VS game. And I already countered your "failing port sales" stuff. It is Namco's utter stupidity that they never took the advantage of giving one of their strongest platforms a true Tales flagship game.

duckroll

faridmon said:

Yes but the PSP will still be riding the wave of MHP3. It's be interesting to see, but this is really the PSP's battle to lose.

Grimmy said:
Does all this mean that there's no Tales fanbase for a REAL Tales mothership game on the PSP? We don't know, because the PSP never GOT a mothership game, period. You keep on mentioning sales failing on the PSP and I don't see it at all. Heck, they got 200,000 fools to buy that crappy Tales of VS game. And I already countered your "failing port sales" stuff. It is Namco's utter stupidity that they never took the advantage of giving one of their strongest platforms a true Tales flagship game.

The "200,000 fools" seem to be the core of the Tales fanbase who turn up for pretty much everything Namco release. It's the PS3 where they seem to be reaching beyond that core, with higher sales for Vesperia and now strong opening sales for Graces F.

faridmon

duckroll said:
Yes but the PSP will still be riding the wave of MHP3. It's be interesting to see, but this is really the PSP's battle to lose.
Kenka said:
I ruled out the possibility a week ago but MHP3's effects on hardware were so devastating that I don't really know anymore. We know shit about PSP's sales next week. It is the key.

Yep, looking forward to the end results. :D

Kenka

Cosmonaut X said:
The "200,000 fools" seem to be the core of the Tales fanbase who turn up for pretty much everything Namco release. It's the PS3 where they seem to be reaching beyond that core, with higher sales for Vesperia and now strong opening sales for Graces F.

Frankly, why didn't the audiance shift from the PS family to the Wii ? Why ? :(

Is the Tales audiance actually an all-RPG audiance ? Are those the same guys that bought WKC and FF XIII ? Were the Wii RPGs really unappealing to them ?

donny2112

onken said:
Late, but wow.

In terms of PS2 traditional "big" franchises, he is correct. Now most of those didn't come to the DS due to hardware power, but still, they didn't come.

We've been over Capcom's failure to launch new properties on DS. They had success with Mega Man and Ace Attorney, just like they had success with Mega Man and Ace Attorney on GBA.

Konami's failure to do anything significant on DS for the first few years was well-discussed. They eventually did some good sales with their Animal Crossing clone and Penguin no Mondai. The Power Pro series eventually took an upturn, too.

Square-Enix, before launch, had FFIII remake coming to DS and a prequel to the "great" FFVII coming to PSP. They were obviously more behind the PSP before launch. As mentioned, they eventually did quite well (at least the Enix side, again, the smarter half), but they were much more in Sony's corner to start out.

On that note, it shouldn't be debateable that outside of GBA franchises, most third-parties (worldwide included here) were definitely more interested in supporting PSP due to the expected fallout from being the next Sony system after PS2.

Now, there is no Sony "juggernaut" to get third-parties revved up on the handheld side (like the PS2 was), and 3DS seems to be much more in line with what third-parties seem to want to produce. 3DS launching earlier, successor (in the same type of video game system this time, unlike PS2 -> PSP) to the very dominating last gen champion, and still having the Nintendo titles, and there shouldn't be any question about which one to expect to dominate this generation.

On price, Japan has shown itself to be the most price inelastic region in the world, supporting the DS more and more with nothing but increases in price. Therefore, the 25K Yen 3DS price will very likely not be the deal breaker that a $250 or $300 3DS price would be in the U.S., for many. Therefore that argument seems a bit out of place looking at Japan.

cvxfreak

I would say Capcom managed to expand Ace Attorney with the DS. The levels of success were surely not on the same level. Meanwhile, Mega Man took a huge dive.

Otherwise, very nice post by donny.

Amazon JP has sold out of Donkey Kong Returns. :lol

Holy Magikarp. The PS3 port of Graces already outsold the Wii original. I know it's just Tales, but this just has to look bad for Nintendo 3rd party-wise.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
cartman414 said:
but this just has to look bad for Nintendo 3rd party-wise.
what was your first clue ? xD Ther eis no reason why the wii release list dont include any high profile 3rd party game besides of samurai warriors 3z, ie break and potentially dqx.

onken

donny2112 said:

No, support has been good and you'd have to be insane to try to argue otherwise. Firstly, what happened at the start of the gen is completely irrelevant, the point is basically all the publishers came round in the end. If he'd qualified his statement with "at the start of gen" then nobody would be disagreeing.

Secondly, just because every single game that has come out on other platforms didn't get a DS version doesn't mean the support isn't good.

cvxfreak said:
Amazon JP has sold out of Donkey Kong Returns. :lol

It's been sold out of Kinect pretty much since launch, obviously it will hit a million before year end.

why do people still refer to Amazon as if it has any relevance?

Monster Hunter effect @_@

I guess this is why the PSP2's design is pretty well-tailored for an MH game, and why we haven't heard anything about a 3DS MH. I'd hate to play MH on the 3DS though even if I want the darn hardware so much, since I can't see how an MH will control there well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wolf Akela said:

I guess this is why the PSP2's design is pretty well-tailored for an MH game, and why we haven't heard anything about a 3DS MH. I'd hate to play MH on the 3DS though even if I want the darn hardware so much, since I can't see how an MH will control there well.
I think that it is too early to talk about a new MH game, and that is why we havnt heard anything about a MH game for the 3DS. We might hear something next year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wolf Akela said:

Why shouldnt MH controls work on 3DS ? You could even have the Map or Items on the Touchscreen for quick use. Maybe im missing something but i dont see how controls would be the point that keeps MH from getting a 3DS version.

Kenka

Wolf Akela said:

If an MH is scheduled or announced on the 3DS you can be sure it will make use of the thumbstick.

cw_sasuke said:
Why shouldnt MH controls work on 3DS ? You could even have the Map or Items on the Touchscreen for quick use. Maybe im missing something but i dont see how controls would be the point that keeps MH from getting a 3DS version.

Well, you would have a variation of the issue you have with the PSP version, I'd have thought - trying to control a 3rd person game without a second analogue stick. You could maintain camera control with the stylus, but that ties up your second hand and prevents you using any of the half-dozen buttons on the right-side of the console.

If the PSP2 rumours are correct, at least there you would have a stick for movement, a stick for camera and you'd still have relatively easy fingertip access to most buttons.

Laguna

Banned
Wolf Akela said:

Why should Capcom hurt this holidays MHP3 sales by announcing another MH for a new system? It´s not like they announced one for PSP2 and that´s because it wouldn´t make any sense and only confuse the fanbase. The next MH will be MHTriG or MHP3G.

cw_sasuke said:

Well, you can't rely on touchscreen for combat. I can definitely see using the touchscreen as an improvement for inventory/usage/speed combos, but not for combat.

Also, the mere fact that the analog nub is above the d-pad, which prevents you from clawing well because you'll be forced to use your index finger for the nub. Unless you claw like this:

ferqV.jpg

The 3DS has no right nub to let you control the camera with it. Relying on the touchscreen for camera control would be downright annoying, since you constantly have to adjust the camera which will block your view. L's use is free since you'll just use the touch screen for items, but R can't go to any other button, so you can't use L/R for camera control.

In comparison, I initially thought that the PSP2 design was pretty stupid because of having touch panels at the back. But after giving it some thoughts, it would actually be a great way to enable players to keep controlling the camera without giving up the ability to press face buttons. Clawing is something what some MH players do to maintain control of action and camera. Heck I still clawed in MH3.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Nov 29 - Dec 05, 2010:

01. / 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) - 1,955,239 / 1,955,239
02. / 00. [PS3] Tales of Graces F (Bandai Namco) - 224,455 / 224,455
03. / 01. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) - 64,339 / 462,374
04. / 03. [WII] Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) - 58,395 / 142,363
05. / 00. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (Nintendo) - 58,105 / 58,105
06. / 04. [WII] Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition (Nintendo) - 49,594 / 661,790
07. / 00. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu: World (Hudson) - 41,745 / 41,745
08. / 00. [PSP] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO (Bandai Namco) - 36,323 / 36,323
09. / 00. [WII] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO (Bandai Namco) - 33,800 / 33,800
10. / 00. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Minna de Party * 3-Yome! (Bandai Namco) - 33,587 / 33,587
11. / 12. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 29,245 / 1,229,584
12. / 09. [NDS] Pokemon Black (Pokemon) - 28,522 / 2,365,157
13. / 07. [NDS] Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo) - 24,506 / 98,447
14. / 13. [NDS] Pokemon White (Pokemon) - 24,006 / 2,176,835
15. / 02. [NDS] Super Robot Taisen L (Bandai Namco) - 23,020 / 140,743
16. / 11. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Omise (Konami) - 21,494 / 112,383
17. / 14. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 20,363 / 2,048,395
18. / 22. [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) - 16,047 / ?
19. / 00. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: The World (Konami) - 15,379 / 15,379
20. / 23. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 15,344 / ?

Other software (first week / LTD):
[PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) 226,000 / 391,000
[WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco) - 124,000 / 216,000

1) Sell-through
- [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd ~95%
- [PS3] Tales of Graces F ~70%

2) Total software this week: 3.306 million units.

3) [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G: 4.1 million sold to date (includes "Best" versions).

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
PSP      |    326,942 |     70,894 |  2,406,280 | 15,795,672
NDS      |     78,131 |     53,612 |  2,450,197 | 31,414,902
WII      |     55,171 |     42,309 |  1,414,037 | 10,959,473
PS3      |     47,796 |     67,892 |  1,442,218 |  5,926,916
360      |     	3,979 |      4,512 |    223,192 |  1,431,847
PS2      |     	1,612 |      1,281 |     	| 	
------------------------------------------------------------
Total    |    513,631 |    240,500 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/327/327663/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/576/576294/

Nov 22 - 28, 2010
Nov 15 - 21, 2010
Nov 08 - 14, 2010
Nov 01 - 07, 2010
Oct 25 - 31, 2010
Oct 18 - 24, 2010
Oct 11 - 17, 2010
Oct 04 - 10, 2010

Laguna

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Well, you can't rely on touchscreen for combat. I can definitely see using the touchscreen as an improvement for inventory/usage/speed combos, but not for combat.

Also, the mere fact that the analog nub is above the d-pad, which prevents you from clawing well because you'll be forced to use your index finger for the nub. Unless you claw like this:

ferqV.jpg

The 3DS has no right nub to let you control the camera with it. Relying on the touchscreen for camera control would be downright annoying, since you constantly have to adjust the camera which will block your view. L's use is free since you'll just use the touch screen for items, but R can't go to any other button, so you can't use L/R for camera control.

So in other words, you think a Monster Hunter for 3DS is unlikely?

cvxfreak

onken said:
No, support has been good and you'd have to be insane to try to argue otherwise. Firstly, what happened at the start of the gen is completely irrelevant, the point is basically all the publishers came round in the end. If he'd qualified his statement with "at the start of gen" then nobody would be disagreeing.

Secondly, just because every single game that has come out on other platforms didn't get a DS version doesn't mean the support isn't good.

It's been sold out of Kinect pretty much since launch, obviously it will hit a million before year end.

why do people still refer to Amazon as if it has any relevance?
People keep mentioning Comgnet and Azalyn, so I'll happily mention Amazon JP too, thank you very much.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 23. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {03/12/09}
22. / 17. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {18/11/10}
23. / 00. [WII] Naruto Shippuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! Special (Takara Tomy) {02/12/10}
24. / 09. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 13 (Konami) {25/11/10}
25. / 16. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {28/10/10}
26. / 00. [NDS] Crayon Shin-Chan: Shokkugan! Densetsu o Yobu Omake Daiketsusen!! (Bandai Namco) {02/12/10}
27. / 06. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) (Square Enix) {18/11/10}
28. / 14. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {11/11/10}
29. / 20. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (Bandai Namco) {28/10/10}
30. / 28. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) {27/05/10}
31. / 27. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {01/10/09}
32. / 00. [NDS] SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors: Shin Mirisha Taisen (Bandai Namco) {02/12/10}
33. / 35. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Challenge (Bandai Namco) {11/11/10}
34. / 34. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06}
35. / 41. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {18/06/09}
36. / 32. [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo) {19/06/10}
37. / 40. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [PSP the Best Reprint] (Capcom) {24/12/09}
38. / 33. [NDS] More! Stitch! DS Scribble Battle Through Rhythm DS (Disney Interactive) {18/11/10}
39. / 00. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Choujou Kessen! Big Bang Bladers (Hudson) {02/12/10}
40. / 00. [PSP] Sengoku Hime 2 Arashii: Hyakka, Senran Furu no Gotoku (System Soft Alpha) {02/12/10}
41. / 19. [NDS] Minna to Kimi no Piramekino! (Bandai Namco) {25/11/10}
42. / 00. [PSP] Wand of Fortune: Mirai e no Prologue Portable (Idea Factory) {02/12/10}
43. / 00. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: Dororon! Battle With the Ghouls!! (Bandai Namco) {01/07/10}
44. / 12. [PSP] Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype) {25/11/10}
45. / 15. [PS3] Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll (Koei Tecmo) {25/11/10}
46. / 25. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) {11/11/10}
47. / 50. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Bandai Namco) {09/09/10}
48. / 42. [PS3] Beat Sketch! (SCE) {21/10/10}
49. / 46. [WII] FlingSmash (Nintendo) {18/11/10}
50. / 00. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) {08/12/05}

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) {29/11/10} - 3.276.244 / 55.049.652 (+122%)

NDS - 20
WII - 13
PSP - 10
PS3 - 7
360 - 0
PS2 - 0

Laguna said:
So in other words, you think a Monster Hunter for 3DS is unlikely?

I only said the controls won't work too well. I'm not saying it's unlikely that we'll see a 3DS MH. Japan even had an MH game for mobile phones.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: November 1, 2010 - November 28, 2010

01. / 00. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {25/11/10} - 410.486 / NEW
02. / 00. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {11/11/10} - 236.855 / NEW
03. / 00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) (Square Enix) {18/11/10} - 175.813 / NEW
04. / 02. [WII] Super Mario All-Stars (Nintendo) {21/10/10} - 172.334 / 575.500 (-57%)
05. / 01. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {18/09/10} - 160.570 / 4.456.872 (-82%)
06. / 00. [NDS] Super Robot Wars L (Bandai Namco) {25/11/10} - 123.933 / NEW
07. / 03. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (Bandai Namco) {28/10/10} - 120.980 / 388.158 (-55%)
08. / 04. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {28/10/10} - 105.556 / 334.632 (-54%)
09. / 00. [NDS] Magician’s Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {11/11/10} - 86.554 / NEW
10. / 00. [WII] Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) {25/11/10} - 84.940 / NEW
11. / 09. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) {08/07/10} - 83.215 / 1.181.620 (-35%)
12. / 00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) {11/11/10} - 74.713 / NEW
13. / 00. [NDS] Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo) {18/11/10} - 73.661 / NEW
14. / 00. [PS3] Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) {04/11/10} - 56.275 / NEW
15. / 00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {18/11/10} - 49.798 / NEW
16. / 00. [NDS] Radiant Historia (Atlus Co.) {03/11/10} - 49.774 / NEW
17. / 07. [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) {14/10/10} - 45.288 / 218.395 (-74%)
18. / 00. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Subtitled Edition) (Square Enix) {18/11/10} - 42.959 / NEW
19. / 00. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) {25/06/09} - 42.060 / 1.992.009
20. / 00. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (Spike) {25/11/10} - 34.583 / NEW

00. / 00. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 13 (Konami) {25/11/10} - 23.376 / NEW
00. / 00. [NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Nintendo) {28/10/10} - 22.785 / 70.188 (-52%)
00. / 00. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Challenge (Bandai Namco) {11/11/10} - 19.109 / NEW
00. / 06. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) {07/10/10} - 17.808 / 201.691 (-90%)
00. / 00. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {25/05/06} - 17.729 / 5.944.788 (-10%)

00. / 00. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {18/11/10} - 19.589 / NEW
00. / 00. [PS2] Clock Zero: Shuuen no Ichibyou (Idea Factory) {25/11/10} - 4.192 / NEW
00. / 00. [PS2] Hakuouki: Reimeiroku (Idea Factory) {28/10/10} - 4.174 / 26.124 (-81%)
00. / 00. [PS2] Persona 4 [PlayStation 2 the Best] (Atlus Co.) {05/08/10} - 1.849 / 19.156 (-39%)
00. / 00. [PS2] Uragiri wa Boku no Namae o Shitteiru (Kadokawa Shoten) {28/10/10} - 1.507 / 4.422 (-48%)
00. / 00. [PS2] Pandora: I Know Your Name (Idea Factory) {25/11/10} - 1.389 / NEW
00. / 00. [PS2] Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica: After School (Prototype) {11/11/10} - 1.312 / NEW
00. / 00. [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [Konami Dendou Selection] (Konami) {05/11/09} - 912 / 29.459
00. / 00. [PS2] Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes [Playstation 2 the Best Reprint] (Capcom) {18/03/10} - 838 / 17.207 (-53%)
00. / 00. [PS2] Pro Baseball Spirits 2010 (Konami) {01/04/10} - 769 / 71.906 (-55%)

Media Create: 166k Monster Hunter PSP sold last week.

Laguna

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
I only said the controls won't work too well. I'm not saying it's unlikely that we'll see a 3DS MH. Japan even had an MH game for mobile phones.

Ok, but you also said that PSP2s layout may be the reason why we didn´t see/hear about a MH game for 3DS.

Laguna said:
Ok, but you also said that PSP2s layout may be the reason why we didn´t see/hear about a MH game for 3DS.

No, I specifically stated that the PSP2 design totally feels tailor-made for MH, which could show that Sony is serious about getting MH for themselves, which may be the reason why we never heard about a 3DS MH, apart from MHP3 just being released. Let's face it: MH is the PSP's biggest money maker right now, and one of the biggest things to still keep the PSP afloat.

Kenka

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu messing up a bit looks more possible now.

1.955/2.000 doesn't translate into a 95% sell-out but rather a 98%

If their 95% sell-out figure is correct, then first week shipments hovered around 1.955/0.95 = 2.06M

That's close to the figure given by Famitsu. But there is still some discrepency.

Chris1964 said:
Media Create: 166k Monster Hunter PSP sold last week.

Only half of the total ?

hsukardi

Wolf Akela said:
No, I specifically stated that the PSP2 design totally feels tailor-made for MH, which could show that Sony is serious about getting MH for themselves, which may be the reason why we never heard about a 3DS MH, apart from MHP3 just being released. Let's face it: MH is the PSP's biggest money maker right now, and one of the biggest things to still keep the PSP afloat.

This is just fucking stupid.

The PSP is not relying on Monster Hunter to be "kept afloat".

It's a big hitting game on a successful system.

cvxfreak

Kenka said:
Only half of the total ?

The special PSP did sell out at many stores, so people would have been forced to buy a regular system. Other colors released in recent weeks are also very popular.

hsukardi said:

Come on.

PSP hardware sells very significantly worse than any other system out there in other market regions. It sells the worst in the US. I don't think we get hardware numbers for EU, but what's the last game to land in the charts there? GTP and BBS? In the US, BBS is the first PSP game to hit the top 10 NPD in like 2 years. I think it was GoW:CoO or FFVII:CC that charted before that.

PSP does best in Japan. Guess what PSP game is popular there? We also miss a lot of games since they just stay in Japan, even if they can do significant pushes to Japanese hardware numbers.

V_Arnold

hsukardi said:

Monster Hunter is the best selling franchise on PSP in the only region where the system still can be considered "healthy". Guess what ;)

duckroll said:
Suggestions for next prediction league:

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - The Ogre
[PS3] Gundam Musou 3
[PS3] Castlevania Lords of Shadow
[PS3] Umineko no Naku Koro ni
[PS3] Call of Duty Black Ops (Dubbed Version)
[PSP] Shining Hearts
[360] Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International
Resuming this, I'd take out FFXIII and while wary of castlevania and umineko I'd still include them (and I'll remove them if they miss MC Top20).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Resuming this, I'd take out FFXIII and while wary of castlevania and umineko I'd still include them (and I'll remove them if they miss MC Top20).
The cut-off for #20 next week will be ~20k. FFXIII won't be there and I have doubts for the other 2, especially umineko. Castlevania might get a minor bump from the bundles.

Top Bottom