• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Numbers: 1/10-1/16: PSP > DS

cvxfreak

Media Create Software Sales: 10 - 16 Jan
platform title publisher this week total
1 GBA Mario Party Advance Nintendo 67,927 new
2 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 63,584 843,340
3 PS2 Gikei Eiyuden From Software 41,927 new
4 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 33,537 575,069
5 PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special Square Enix 25,264 299,989
6 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi Square Enix 23,858 3,235,861
7 DS Super Mario 64 DS Nintendo 22,671 593,831
8 PSP Minna no GOLF Portable SCE 18,682 N/A
9 PS2 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER Konami 18,166 790,518
10 PSP Shin Sangoku Musou Koei 17,070 N/A

Media Create Hardware Sales: 10 - 16 Jan
platform this week last week 2005 total
1 PlayStation 2 65,837 124,401 189,238
2 PSP 64,602 62,052 126,654
3 Nintendo DS 53,527 108,561 162,088
4 GameBoy Advance SP 18,289 70,851 89,140
5 GameCube 7,475 19,703 27,178
6 Gameboy Advance 588 1,719 2,307
7 Xbox 506 1,179 1,685

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
CVXFREAK said:
PlayStation 2: 65,837
PSP: 64,602
DS: 53,527
GBASP: 18,289
GC: 7,475
GBA: 588
Xbox: 506

MORE NUMBERS LATER...

UH OH.
*runs*

Amir0x

Banned
I swear to God...

NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF THIS THREAD.

Run away! Run away! The forumers are coming!

re4_030404_02.jpg

This thread is going to be fun, but I shall stay out of this. But definitely an "uh oh". I wonder how the PSP will grow once we see the results of the 800k shipment total.

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei said:
This thread is going to be fun, but I shall stay out of this. But definitely an "uh oh". I wonder how the PSP will grow once we see the results of the 800k shipment total.

Why is it an "uh oh"? It's good the PSP is selling well. You do not want competition in this industry?

If true, its exactly what I expected.

DS would get outta the gates fast, but by 2005 as Sony got production up, the PSP would overtake it.

Seriously, aside from the touchscreen which no game really uses that well anyway, the PSP is a *full generation gap* in terms of processing power and a far better screen for only $50 more (in Japan its even less than that).

I mean c'mon ...

duckroll

JJConrad said:
Why is it the same every week?

Enterbrain numbers come out and the PSP fans rejoice, celebrating the fact the DS is still outselling the PSP, but by less than last week. Then the Media Create numbers are released, the gap grows in the DS's favor and the PSP fans go silent (or bitter). It'll happen again today and happen again next week and again in the weeks after that.

0wn3d. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x said:
Why is it an "uh oh"? It's good the PSP is selling well. You do not want competition in this industry?
It's "uh oh" because of state this thread and the forums. You know yourself that this thread isn't going to be fun. :p

GaimeGuy

DarthWufei said:
It's "uh oh" because of state this thread and the forums. You know yourself that this thread isn't going to be fun. :p
I never would have guessed! :D

Amir0x

Banned
DarthWufei said:

Man, this thread is going to be hilarious. I'm making some popcorn now. You want some? Extra butter/salt?

Amir0x said:
Man, this thread is going to be hilarious. I'm making some popcorn now. You want some? Extra butter/salt?
I'd love some, and to bring it up assuming no one hasn't at the time I've posted this. How many put their accounts on the line in that Famitsu sales thread?

Really, because I think PSP has the better software.

Not only that, but the PSP software seems "fresher" because there really hasn't been a portable machine with these types of games before, previously stuff like Gran Turismo and Ridge Racers would be strictly console territory.

I think that's a large part of the PSP's appeal.

I don't think Nintendo's release schedule is that impressive at all right now.

Spike

DarthWufei said:

I fail to understand what is so "uh oh" about this news. So, the PSP outsold the DS this week. Big deal. They're both going to do fine in the long run anyways. Both systems can survive and prosper if they're different enough.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
I've said my peace, hand me the extra butter salted packet please. :D

DarthWufei said:
I'd love some, and to bring it up assuming no one hasn't at the time I've posted this. How many put their accounts on the line in that Famitsu sales thread?

49105main_popcorn.jpg

To your question, DW, I dunno. But boy it's going to be funny!

GaimeGuy

Spike said:
I fail to understand what is so "uh oh" about this news. So, the PSP outsold the DS this week. Big deal. They're both going to do fine in the long run anyways. Both systems can survive and prosper if they're different enough.

The systems can survive.

GAF can't.

Edit: Oh, Amirox, could you get me a bowl, too? Thanks :)

I think from here on out, PSP will regularily be the no.1 portable in Japan.

DS will be able to overtake it on certain weeks due to certain titles being released, but regularily it'll be PSP at no.1.

Game Boy Next better be something really good.

border

Hmmmm.....so how many people get banned if this trend continues next week?

Culex said:
I'm betting the DS will outsell the PSP again next week. If it doesn't you can ban me for a month.

Cruel Bastard Mario said:
I'll bet what Culex is betting too, BTW. With the caviat that my ban will only be for a week.

neo2046

........... :(

it is not good even if PSP sale = NDS sale in the long run
this only mean Sony has steal 50% of Nintendo's handheld market share

1) Nintendo needs to push the release day of Nintendogs earlier as possible as they can
2) Nintendo needs to release more color models of Nintendo DS

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wonder if ds will ever outsell psp again.

well, if it's any consolation, ds has effectively killed gba!

I think DS will be able to outsell the PSP like say the week or two around Pokemon's release. And probably a jump in sales when Jump Superstars comes out (pun intended). Stuff like that.

But PSP should regularily be the no.1 handheld week to week in Japan, which is pretty significant since nothing has really challenged Nintendo over there since ... well since 1989 when the Game Boy came out (wowza).

With DS + GBA SP though, Nintendo still sells more handheld hardware overall.

drohne said:
i wonder if ds will ever outsell psp again.

well, if it's any consolation, ds has effectively killed gba!

After playing them on the DS, I question how anyone could go back to playing GBA games on the SP, they look terrible.

Top Bottom