• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

Road

EXGN said:
Still surprised at how well Call of Duty 4 is doing, one of the 3 titles to actually go up compared to previous weeks. With both the original and BEST release, sales must be climbing towards 200,000 by now. Is this the best a FPS has performed in Japan(in recent years at least)?
Known numbers for COD4 (original release + platinum version):

PS3 - 113,957 + 58,186 = 172,143
360 - 54,752 + 9,036 = 63,788

Total - 235,931

Must be nearing 250k, since we don't have the latest numbers for all versions. I can't confirm if it's the best selling FPS ever in Japan, but it seems so off the top of my head.

gogogow said:
It will outsell MH3 this year. With 9 weeks left for 2009. It will need to do 9,552 copies a week to reach the MH3 number.
Yeah, but MH3 won't stop at 924k. I'd bet on MHP2G too, though, expecting it to get a bigger holiday bump than MH3.

ccbfan

Road said:
Yeah, but MH3 won't stop at 924k. I'd bet on MHP2G too, though, expecting it to get a bigger holiday bump than MH3.

Strangely describes the current landscape of handheld versus consoles.

A game released last year that is the greatest hit version of an enhanced version of a portable port of a PS2 game released on the 2nd place handheld is going to outsell the console sequel release this year on the leading home console system for the year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any reasons why the PSP Go will be released on a Sunday in Japan? Isnt new hardware usually released on a Thursday or on a Saturday in Japan?

EXGN

I'm sure some of it must be to get the biggest week 1 numbers possible too? Instead of releasing it on a Thursday and having 3 days of sales, release it Sunday to have the full 7.

cvxfreak said:
It's equally amusing how MHP2G looks like it's about to overtake DQIX in a week or two as well.

Well that's between a couple of SKUs. DQIX is going to probably do over 5 million LTD whenever it gets a Best release.

Not that I'm trying to put down MHP2G's success, it's phenomenal too.

onken

EXGN said:
I'm sure some of it must be to get the biggest week 1 numbers possible too? Instead of releasing it on a Thursday and having 3 days of sales, release it Sunday to have the full 7.

Since when does the week start on Sunday?

KtSlime

EXGN said:

The trackers start on 月曜日, that's Monday.

Dragona Akehi said:
DQIX is going to probably do over 5 million LTD whenever it gets a Best release.
You must be expecting pretty big things from the Best release in addition to the original? DQ V PS2 and DQ VIII had Best releases in 2006, and as of the end of 2008 neither was at 200K.

KtSlime

onken said:

So just say Monday.

Good point, probably should have. From my perspective it comes out on 月曜日, because I don't really get to think of the days of the week in English all to often, but I guess if I was translating to English, I should have just simply stated Monday and left it at that.

My bad.

markatisu

onken said:
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Getting a silver medal is a success, but disappointing if you were going for gold :)

But Capcom already won the gold for a third party release, and by some margin too :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
The_lascar said:
Marketing. (11/1 = 111, like the first PSP, released on a sunday too, 12/12)
Sony like this.
Ah yes, i didnt think about that 1st of November is 11/1 or 111 as you say. It makes sense as a marketing thing indeed as you also said to release the PSP Go on a Sunday. Thanks for the answer! :)

EDIT: I fixed some typo.

onken

markatisu said:
But Capcom already won the gold for a third party release, and by some margin too :lol

Because beating the PS3 in a pointless pissing competition is all that counts, right? :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So is this going to be the first time in I don't know how long where we get the MC hardware numbers without any previous MC or Famitsu leak/estimate? WHERE IS MY FAMITSU LEAK DAMMIT

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
WHERE IS MY FAMITSU LEAK DAMMIT
R.I.P. Garaph: July 10th, 2008 - October 29th, 2009

Or do they publicly release the Top 30 eventually? I know we get the Top 500s yearly, which I assume aren't leaks.

onken

schuelma said:
So is this going to be the first time in I don't know how long where we get the MC hardware numbers without any previous MC or Famitsu leak/estimate? WHERE IS MY FAMITSU LEAK DAMMIT

Yeah I want my money back!

Road

schuelma said:
Last week we had two guys leaking on 2ch plus a bunch of numbers from Sinobi. This week we only have data for 2 titles... Even thedrill has not posted up their numbers yet. The Japanese just didn't care about this past week.

schuelma

DSi 42,199
PSP 32,865
PS3 29,977
Wii 25,917
DS Lite 6,550
Xbox 360 4,470
PS2 1,951

PS3 continues to impress, and will probably go up the next 2 weeks.

DMeisterJ

Banned
schuelma said:
DSi 42,199
PSP 32,865
PS3 29,977
Wii 25,917
DS Lite 6,550
Xbox 360 4,470
PS2 1,951

PS3 continues to impress, and will probably go up the next 2 weeks.
PS3 really keeps on impressing. Over Wii by a nice margin.

Slight drop-off for the PS3, but it's maintaining that 30k a week pretty nicely. A slightly larger drop-off for the Wii - around 4k, I think - and it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
Slight drop-off for the PS3, but it's maintaining that 30k a week pretty nicely. A slightly larger drop-off for the Wii - around 4k, I think - and it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

Wii is actually holding pretty decently off the price drop, but PS3 seems to have leveled off for the time being at 30K and I doubt it gets much lower the rest of they year- maybe between 11/5 and 12/17 it will go down as there really isn't much after 11/5 (WE 2010 bundle).

Road

Some of the MC comments:

- DQIX crossed 4 million. It took 16 weeks. The previous record was NSMB with 34 weeks. (Remember MC does not combine multiple versions like the Pokémon games; or at least it didn't use to...)
- FIFA 10 sold 30k across all versions, 21k of those being the PS3 one.

Road

Well, if the PS3 could survive the "drought" of "big" releases in October (refer to the list complied by Chris), I guess we can call off the "15k weeks" for this year.

schuelma

Road said:
Well, if the PS3 could survive the "drought" of "big" releases in October (refer to the list complied by Chris), I guess we can call off the "15k weeks" for this year.

Yeah. I'd say the lowest it will probably go is 25Kish or 20K at worst.

Serenity

Does the lack of a significant dip in PsP sales show that GO will be DOA? I mean usually hardware sales drop the week before a new SKU launch right?

EXGN

This end of the year race is gonna be amazing. GAF should seriously open a betting pool on who's gonna win 2009 in the home console race, the PS3 or Wii.

When does the Wii's killer line up start? Dec. 3 with NSMBW? I know PS3 has PES and possibly that Dragon Ball game in November as potential sales boosters, does the Wii have anything during that period?

duckroll

Serenity said:
Does the lack of a significant dip in PsP sales show that GO will be DOA? I mean usually hardware sales drop the week before a new SKU launch right?

The PSP Go isn't really in any meaningful way competing with the PSP-3000 though. After all, one of them can actually play games off the shelf, and the other can't! :lol

schuelma

EXGN said:
This end of the year race is gonna be amazing. GAF should seriously open a betting pool on who's gonna win 2009 in the home console race, the PS3 or Wii.

When does the Wii's killer line up start? Dec. 3 with NSMBW? I know PS3 has PES and possibly that Dragon Ball game in November as potential sales boosters, does the Wii have anything during that period?

11/5- Mario and Sonic

11/12- Crystal Bearers

11/19- Taiko Wii 2

12/3- NSMB Wii, SW3

12/5- Pikachu game

12/10- Tales of Graces, WE 2010

duckroll

Nirolak said:
When Japanese gets google translated it tends to do that. They mean 4 million in reality.

No. It only tends to do that when people are moronic. It does not in any possible way say 400 million in Japanese. 万 is 10,000. I can't see how anyone would take it to mean a million. :p

Top Bottom