• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 26-Nov 1, 2009

WinFonda

Member
Oct 9, 2007
5,255
0
0
USA
WhiteAce said:
Lets hope people get their wish and these company get bad reps and then stuff simply stops selling on PS3 and they migrate over to other platforms! - it'll be a long hard wait for the next Naughty Dog game whilst everyone else i banished
Seems like a common misconception. Who do you think really gets hurt when a game gets a bad rep in regards to performance? It's not the PS3. Things like this make good console war pawns but at the end of the day the people who suffer are the end user (for not getting optimal product) and the developer/publisher when the user decides they're going to spend their money on other games because they're being told this particular one is a bad product. And there's plenty of fish in the sea my friend, but there's only so much disposable income to go around.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
fernoca said:
You know, some sites were acting like the PSP Go was doomed because of selling 28k units in one day in Japan..
But seeing the (leaked) chart, and seeing the the DSi sold 8k more..with 6 additional days...is not as bad as some we making it..
It's "doomed" because machines usually sell a decent volume at launch, simply because of built up demand.
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
2
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
fernoca said:
You know, some sites were acting like the PSP Go was doomed because of selling 28k units in one day in Japan..
But seeing the (leaked) chart, and seeing the the DSi sold 8k more..with 6 additional days...is not as bad as some we making it..
This was posted by bttb in last week's thread:


1998.10.21 (Game Boy Color) - 155,774
2001.03.21 (Game Boy Advance) - 611,504
2003.02.14 (Game Boy Advance SP) - 117,859
2005.09.13 (Game Boy Micro) - 148,117
1998.10.28 (Neo Geo Pocket) - 21,471
1999.03.19 (Neo Geo Pocket Color) - 18,809
1999.03.04 (WonderSwan) - 102,655
2000.12.09 (WonderSwan Color) - 145,975
2002.07.12 (SwanCrystal) - 30,692
2004.11.21 (Nintendo DS) - 441,485
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67,653
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170,779
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - ?
2004.12.12 (PSP-1000) - 166,074
2007.09.20 (PSP-2000) - 263,538
2008.10.16 (PSP-3000) - 155,720
2009.11.01 (PSP go) - 28,275

The Game Boy micro had sold out at launch, and even surpassed the SP in a similar time frame. PSPgo gets to hang out with the Swan Crystal in the rankings.

WinFonda said:
Seems like a common misconception. Who do you think really gets hurt when a game gets a bad rep in regards to performance? It's not the PS3. Things like this make good console war pawns but at the end of the day the people who suffer are the end user (for not getting optimal product) and the developer/publisher when the user decides they're going to spend their money on other games because they're being told this particular one is a bad product. And there's plenty of fish in the sea my friend, but there's only so much disposable income to go around.
QFT, and my sentiments exactly.
 

fernoca

Member
Sep 17, 2006
30,835
0
1,075
Puerto Rico
Jonnyram said:
It's "doomed" because machines usually sell a decent volume at launch, simply because of built up demand.
cvxfreak said:
The Game Boy micro had sold out at launch, and even surpassed the SP in a similar time frame. PSPgo gets to hang out with the Swan Crystal in the rankings.
But come on, give it a break.. It's one day and it costs $250+..:D ..and have an additional version that costs nearly $100 less and does nearly everything the Go does..

It was just the way I see it..if it ends being an absoute bomb, which it may be..well, next week will be more telling..or heck..week #3..since who knows if sales during the rest of the week will be higher..then go down in the weeks after after peple just don't care about it..
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
2
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
fernoca said:
But come on, give it a break.. It's one day and it costs $250+..:D ..and have an additional version that costs nearly $100 less and does nearly everything the Go does..

It was just the way I see it..if it ends being an absoute bomb, which it may be..well, next week will be more telling..or heck..week #3..since who knows if sales during the rest of the week will be higher..then go down in the weeks after after peple just don't care about it..
Well, it's not so unreasonable to wait until next week's sales are published. :p

But yeah, total lack of excitement for the thing in Japan, and me and Jonny say that as two of the rare PSPgo owners out there.
 

Christopher

Member
Mar 19, 2005
17,890
1,137
1,905
Rez said:
if the amount of effort Nintendo put into raising general awareness of their first-party games in Japan is comparable to the amount of effort they put into it in the West... yeah, I don't know what they were expecting.
Isn't that the excuse anytime a big budget/big game doesn't sell well "durrrr lack of advertising" I don't buy it - obviously there's not billboards and 24/7 tv ads for it, it was lack of interest.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
cvxfreak said:
But yeah, total lack of excitement for the thing in Japan, and me and Jonny say that as two of the rare PSPgo owners out there.
At least the PSN store seems to be getting more love over here than overseas. 10 new games at launch, 9 new games today. At this rate, they could have the whole catalogue up there by the end of the year ;)
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
2
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Jonnyram said:
At least the PSN store seems to be getting more love over here than overseas. 10 new games at launch, 9 new games today. At this rate, they could have the whole catalogue up there by the end of the year ;)
We probably have the PSP-3000 to thank for that! :lol :D
 
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Christopher said:
Isn't that the excuse anytime a big budget/big game doesn't sell well "durrrr lack of advertising" I don't buy it - obviously there's not billboards and 24/7 tv ads for it, it was lack of interest.
"general awareness" doesn't necessarily mean "print/tv advertising". I'm talking about media events and general coverage from sources that typical communicate to the 'day one' audience.

Maybe they did, though. I'm totally naive.
 

Hammer24

Banned
Feb 15, 2007
10,055
0
0
Steins;Gate must now be the record holder for the 360 game with the longest consecutive Famitsu top30 appearance. Who wudda thought... :D
 

pswii60

Member
Jun 28, 2006
15,620
0
0
UK
Good to see Bayonetta up there, but isn't that abymsal for Tekken compared to previous outings in the franchise? I thought Tekken used to do like 500k in Japan?

/could be wrong
 

KongRudi

Member
Dec 25, 2006
954
0
0
Nirolak said:
Outside top 30:
..[PSP] MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (SCE) - 590 / NEW
Anyone think this is the end for Motorstorm-franchise in Japan?
Assume there is some digital-sales aswell, but how much did the retail PS3-MotorStorm games sell?
 

Raggy

Banned
May 21, 2007
203
0
0
Norway, Lillestrøm
www.kfl.no
pswii60 said:
Good to see Bayonetta up there, but isn't that abymsal for Tekken compared to previous outings in the franchise? I thought Tekken used to do like 500k in Japan?

/could be wrong
Code:
Platform Title English	Publisher	LTD
PS2 Tekken TAG 	Namco	457,34
PS2 Tekken 4 	Namco	26,172
PS2 Tekken 5	Namco	317,357
PS2 Tekken 5 (BEST)	Namco	39,707
PSP Tekken: Dark Resurrection	Namco Bandai Games	114,734
PSP Tekken: Dark Resurrection (BEST) Namco Bandai Games	92,897
edit; added platform
 

lupin23rd

Member
Sep 14, 2006
3,191
1
0
How the fuck did Tekken 4 sell that little compared to TAG and 5? Wierd...

Good for Bayonetta. Platinum Games, maybe next time you can lead SKU the PS3 version so no one gets left out with a crappy port... since it seems like anyone who can put together a Duplo set can get a game running on a 360 :lol
 

AniHawk

Member
Jun 7, 2004
74,679
7
1,595
lupin23rd said:
How the fuck did Tekken 4 sell that little compared to TAG and 5? Wierd...
Well for one, video games actually sold pretty well on the PS2.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Famitsu:

31/03/95 [PS1] Tekken (Namco) - no numbers for it, shipment < 1 million
29/03/96 [PS1] Tekken 2 (Namco) - 367.666 / 1.079.585
26/03/98 [PS1] Tekken 3 (Namco) - 671.886 / 1.186.118
30/03/00 [PS2] Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco) - 214.753 / 457.339
28/03/02 [PS2] Tekken 4 (Namco) - 176.280 / 318.920
03/11/04 [PS2] Tekken 4 (Playstation 2 the Best) (Namco) - / 26.172
31/03/05 [PS2] Tekken 5 (Namco) - 216.566 / 317.357
02/11/05 [PS2] Tekken 5 (Playstation 2 the Best) (Namco) - 4.041 / 39.707
06/07/06 [PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Namco Bandai) - 54.764 / 114.734
12/07/07 [PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection (PSP the Best) (Namco Bandai) - / 92.897
29/10/09 [PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 120.000 / -
29/10/09 [360] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 26.000 / -
 

KongRudi

Member
Dec 25, 2006
954
0
0
lupin23rd said:
How the fuck did Tekken 4 sell that little compared to TAG and 5? Wierd...

Good for Bayonetta. Platinum Games, maybe next time you can lead SKU the PS3 version so no one gets left out with a crappy port... since it seems like anyone who can put together a Duplo set can get a game running on a 360 :lol
I expect it has much to do with the fact that Sony will help Namco more with marketing the games wich are timed exclusives, or exclusive to their platforms.
Tekken 6 is a multiplatform game, so neither Sony or Microsoft will put much marketing power behind it.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,345
1
1,645
KongRudi said:
I expect it has much to do with the fact that Sony will help Namco more with marketing the games wich are timed exclusives, or exclusive to their platforms.
Tekken 6 is a multiplatform game, so neither Sony or Microsoft will put much marketing power behind it.
Both Sony and MS have shown willingness to snap up marketing exclusivity on multiplat games.

I am sort of surprised neither seemed to take Tekken 6 up on it (indeed, I've seen no advertising for it at all...was surprised when I first saw it in stores, didn't even know it had come out).
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
Aru said:
International versions don't do really much better IIRC.
Depends on the amount of new content. Those with significant additions in content always sell very well. When the changes are just system tweaks and slight improvements here and there, they sell rather poorly. If they had added 2-4 new characters and an online tournament mode, I'm sure it would have sold closer to 100k. But they're probably more interested in working on a sequel at this point I suppose.
 

Pureauthor

Member
Jun 11, 2006
21,847
0
0
duckroll said:
Depends on the amount of new content. Those with significant additions in content always sell very well. When the changes are just system tweaks and slight improvements here and there, they sell rather poorly. If they had added 2-4 new characters and an online tournament mode, I'm sure it would have sold closer to 100k. But they're probably more interested in working on a sequel at this point I suppose.
Hopefully one with Gilgamesh! Then I might bite.
 

obaidr

Banned
May 7, 2007
903
0
0
gofreak said:
Both Sony and MS have shown willingness to snap up marketing exclusivity on multiplat games.

I am sort of surprised neither seemed to take Tekken 6 up on it (indeed, I've seen no advertising for it at all...was surprised when I first saw it in stores, didn't even know it had come out).
Oh there are many, really many Tekken 6 PS3 TV ads over here. The first ones were only PS3 but now it also says "now on PS3 and soon on PSP". With all the PS3 deals this game should sell pretty well.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,345
1
1,645
obaidr said:
Oh there are many, really many Tekken 6 PS3 TV ads over here. The first ones were only PS3 but now it also says "now on PS3 and soon on PSP". With all the PS3 deals this game should sell pretty well.

Well, that might be what I get for not watching TV anymore...
 

Junpei Heat

Junior Member
Jul 20, 2006
1,525
0
0
TTP said:
Glad to see PS3 Bayonetta on top. The more bad reputation Platinum Games gets, the better.
Their gonna get a bad reputation for making a great game with framerate and loading problems? That's awesome.
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
PG could've developed the PS3 version and had Sega port it over to 360 (something a team of 5 could probably do and have it running better too). Seems like such a simple way to solve that particular problem they must've known would come up.
 

kadotsu

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
8,580
0
0
Germany
Sage00 said:
PG could've developed the PS3 version and had Sega port it over to 360 (something a team of 5 could probably do and have it running better too). Seems like such a simple way to solve that particular problem they must've known would come up.
I don't think any mid tier developer would gone lead PS3 2 years ago. That doesn't excuse the sub-par port job, though.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
Sage00 said:
PG could've developed the PS3 version and had Sega port it over to 360 (something a team of 5 could probably do and have it running better too). Seems like such a simple way to solve that particular problem they must've known would come up.
Yeah, I'm sure it's so simple. I hear in Russia they have trained two hamsters to port PS3 games to the 360 within 5 months, and running at 60fps.
 

gogogow

Member
Nov 10, 2004
8,464
0
0
duckroll said:
Yeah, I'm sure it's so simple. I hear in Russia they have trained two hamsters to port PS3 games to the 360 within 5 months, and running at 60fps.
Do we know how much time SEGA used to port the game to the PS3? Was it really 5 months from 360 to PS3?

I agree it's definitely not an easy thing for PG or SEGA. PG only made the 360 engine, so SEGA had to port the engine/game with ......nothing.....and had to start from scratch, unless they could port the codes to a SEGA PS3 engine. I think it's a miracle that there is a PS3 version to begin with.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
gogogow said:
Do we know how much time SEGA used to port the game to the PS3? Was it really 5 months from 360 to PS3?
Do we really know if it was done by 2 hamsters in Russia? I suppose we will never know...
 

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dec 21, 2005
26,827
0
1,190
Bayonetta PS3 version on top, wow pretty good I guess. I thought Tekken would be on top.
 

Bizzyb

Banned
Feb 5, 2008
3,296
0
0
Wash DC
Narcosis said:
Most of those publishers probably look at WW sales, and I seriously doubt the PS3 version is gonna perform well in the west given the bad rep.

What's so Bad about Bayonetta again??

Also, anyone think the Wii will ever gain top console position again? Seems like PS3 is now handily beating it out.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Bizzyb said:
Also, anyone think the Wii will ever gain top console position again? Seems like PS3 is now handily beating it out.
Maybe the Wii is at a saturation point?

:p I'm hoping people get the reference.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
Bizzyb said:
Also, anyone think the Wii will ever gain top console position again? Seems like PS3 is now handily beating it out.

I really don't know. It has a pretty big hill to climb at this point. Let's just hope it doesn't fall beneath the 360.