• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 28 - Oct 4

Wow, it'll probably surpass it again next week but it is a little surprising the new Wii Fit didn't push sales above the PS3 this week. But yeah, PS3 sales are dropping off pretty quickly even with new software, but it really does have a decent shot at beating Wii for the year with FF13 vs. Mario Bros. this Christmas, it'll be interesting to see.

typhonsentra said:
But yeah, PS3 sales are dropping off pretty quickly even with new software, but it really does have a decent shot at beating Wii for the year with FF13 vs. Mario Bros. this Christmas, it'll be interesting to see.

Well, there has been 5 weeks since the price drop, and 3 since Tales of Vesperia. So is slowly reaching his ground.

But if they keep a ground sales of 25-30k in regular weeks, it should be still excellent results.

Johann

Very poor sales for the Wii. NSMB Wii will need to pull off a Hail Mary if Nintendo wants to create some semblance of momentum in the region.

It's nice to see Inazuma sequel sell well. I always rag on Level 5 for relying on the ideas and designs of others in order to get their biggest hits. Inazuma Eleven looks to be a legitimate ground up hit by the company. I'm much more optimistic about their future games. They've been one of the best developers when it comes to tailor-making games for the platform.

It's very surprising the first game never got an overseas release, especially in Europe.

ethelred

Johann said:
I always rag on Level 5 for relying on the ideas and designs of others in order to get their biggest hits.

I don't really think that can be said about any of their notable self-published games, either the ones that are released or the ones that are just announced or in development.

Road

donny2112 said:
My schedule changed this week. I don't know about next week, though. If someone else wants to take over the weekly threads (particularly if they are available around midnight Washington, D.C. time and have access to Microsoft Access and Excel), though, I'm open to it. I was just planning on doing it until Cheesemeister's parser was ready, anyways.
Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. Hehe

I just put up the list because some people showed curiosity and no one else had done it yet. I personally don't have a problem with the thread being one or two days late once in a while -- it's completely understandable. I think you're doing a great job.

typhonsentra said:
But yeah, PS3 sales are dropping off pretty quickly even with new software, but it really does have a decent shot at beating Wii for the year with FF13 vs. Mario Bros. this Christmas, it'll be interesting to see.
PS3 is still 110k behind year to date (Famitsu), and that difference won't probably change much this month -- might even increase. Wii will have to keep surprising us to give a chance to the PS3.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I supose we won't see a sequel any time soon. :(

Time Hollow just came out last year, dude! :lol

Johann said:
Inazuma Eleven looks to be a legitimate ground up hit by the company.

I think Layton absolutely has to qualify as a "legitimate ground up hit" for Level-5 too.

It's very surprising the first game never got an overseas release, especially in Europe.

I blame Nintendo for this 200%.

donny2112

charlequin said:
I blame Nintendo for this 200%.

Because of Nintendo refusing to publisher other Level 5 games outside of Japan and Nintendo's historic willingness to publish new anime properties made by other third-parties outside of Japan?

:p

I blame North America for not liking soccer enough and therefore eliminating much of Inazuma's sales potential in western markets! >:I

markatisu

ivedoneyourmom said:
I blame America for:

Not liking Soccer
Not liking Anime
Not liking non traditional (Fantasy/Sci-Fi) RPGs

America likes Anime just fine, its soccer that dooms this game for US release

Cygnus X-1

So, Wii Fit Plus, who was claimed by many to be a bomb, is dropping various bombs on the same people without pity.

I'm impressed a lot by Level 5's Inazuma. Fantastic numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Finally we have the almost complete release schedule for Wii and PS3. Nothing else major is expected with the exception of End of Eternity for PS3. Sega said that it will be released this year.

Week 41 (08/10/09)
[WII] Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (Marvelous Entertainment)
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii: Enka Kayoukyouku Hen / Duet Kyokuhen (Hudson)
[PS3] White Knight Chronicles: EX Edition (SCE)

Week 42 (15/10/09)
[WII] Okami (Capcom)
[PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE)
[PS3] UFC 2009 Undisputed (THQ)
[PS3] NBA 2K10 (2K Sports)
[PS3] NHL 2K10 (2K Sports)

Week 43 (22/10/09)
[WII] FIFA 10: World Class Soccer (Electronic Arts Victor)
[WII] Sukeban Shachou Rena Wii (Jorudan)
[PS3] FIFA 10: World Class Soccer (Electronic Arts Victor)

Week 44 (29/10/09)
[WII] Sin and Punishment 2 (Nintendo)
[WII] Super Robot Wars Neo (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Wacky World of Sports (Sega)
[PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
[PS3] Bayonetta (Sega)
[PS3] Way of the Samurai 3: Plus (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Spike)

Week 45 (05/11/09)
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
[WII] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Welcome Price 3800) (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Aim!! Fishing Master (Hudson the Best) (Hudson)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[PS3] Infamous (SCE)
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)
[PS3] Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
[PS3] NBA Live 10 (Electronic Arts Victor)

Week 46 (12/11/09)
[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai)
[PS3] Need for Speed: Shift (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PS3] Shaun White Snowboarding (Ubi the Best) (Ubisoft)

Week 47 (19/11/09)
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to Ni-Dai-Me (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Family Challenge Wii (Konami)
[WII] Metal Fight Beyblade: Gachinko Stadium (Hudson)
[WII] Calling (Hudson)
[WII] Lost in Blue Wii (Konami the Best) (Konami)
[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (SCE)

Week 48 (26/11/09)
[WII] Naruto: Shippuden Ryujinki (Takara Tomy)
[WII] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega)
[WII] Monotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)
[WII] Rabbids Go Home (Ubisoft)
[WII] SimAnimals Africa (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PS3] Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)
[PS3] Mirror's Edge (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)

Week 49 (03/12/09 - 05/12/09)
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
[WII] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Isometric & Karate Exercise: Wii de Kotsuban Fitness (IE Institute)
[WII] Takumi Restaurant wa Daihanjou! (Dorart)
[WII] Up (THQ)
[WII] Pokemon Park Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.)
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft)
[PS3] Yakuza 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Sega)

Week 50 (10/12/09)
[WII] Tales of Graces (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Family Trainer 2 (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Family Trainer 1 & 2 (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk (Square Enix)
[WII] Battle Arena Toshinden (Takara Tomy)
[PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)
[PS3] Cross Edge (CH Selection) (Compile Heart)

Week 51 (17/12/09)
[WII] Need for Speed: Nitro (Electronic Arts Victor)
[WII] F1 2009 (Codemasters)
[WII] NHK Red White Quiz Match
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)

Week 52
[WII] -
[PS3] -

According to Media Create until week 39 the YTD is:
WII: 1.023.876
PS3: 950.623
DIF: 73.253

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Chris1964 said:
Finally we have the almost complete release schedule for Wii and PS3. Nothing else major is expected with the exception of End of Eternity for PS3. Sega said that it will be released this year.

Thanks! PS3 doesn't have all that much until FF13 really..but of course it is FF13.

Kind of an odd Wii list IMO in terms of having NSMB Wii, SW3, and ToG all within a week of each other.

cvxfreak

Is Super Robot Wars NEO one of the ones that would probably perform well on the PS2 in its heyday? Or would it be a non-factor like Super Robot Wars GC?

Johann said:
Very poor sales for the Wii. NSMB Wii will need to pull off a Hail Mary if Nintendo wants to create some semblance of momentum in the region.

What about the pokeman wii game for this December. Is this just a wiiware or minigame thing or is this a real game? I don't know anything about it.

PokePark Wii: Pikachu’s Great Adventure – December 5th - Japan (from wiinintendo.net)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
Is Super Robot Wars NEO one of the ones that would probably perform well on the PS2 in its heyday? Or would it be a non-factor like Super Robot Wars GC?
Bingo. Wii has the best year end release schedule since... ever? PS3 puts all hopes on FF XIII and maybe Winning Eleven 2010.

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:

*release list*
That is a pretty nicely made list i must say, pretty easy to see which week the games are coming out in. Thanks for this list! :) I see that NSMBWii has a release date now, did Nintendo just announced the date? I must have missed it :\ Is this a worldwide release date by the way?

schuelma

Leon S. Kennedy said:
What about the pokeman wii game for this December. Is this just a wiiware or minigame thing or is this a real game? I don't know anything about it.

PokePark Wii: Pikachu’s Great Adventure – December 5th - Japan (from wiinintendo.net)

I think its actually retail since it was announced at a retailer event and the release date isn't when WiiWare games come out. Weird that this would get a Saturday launch and not NSMB Wii.

cvxfreak said:

Looking at the actual game, it's more like GC than Z and the Alpha series.

schuelma

distantmantra said:
Looking at the actual game, it's more like GC than Z and the Alpha series.

Yeah I know little about the series but from what I've read it seems like a pretty clear departure from the standard releases. I'm not expecting very much from it.

schuelma said:
Yeah I know little about the series but from what I've read it seems like a pretty clear departure from the standard releases. I'm not expecting very much from it.

It's in 3D like GC/XO (SRW has always been 2D), and it doesn't have many of the traditional mainstay mecha series. In fact, the only Gundam units in the game are from G, and everything else for the most part is from more obscure kids' shows.

ng3whu.png

test_account

XP-39C²
goomba said:
I wonder how many people buy Wii Fitt + thinking it uses the Motion + adapter...
Actually, that sounds like a good idea i think, if Wii Fit + would have some optional support to use the Wii Motion+ (that you used the Wii controller and the Wii Balance Board at the same time). I guess that this might have sold some more Motion+ units.

Speaking of Motion+, how many upcoming japanese developed/published supports Motion+? I cant think of one game :\ I havnt really followed that much around the upcoming Wii games in Japan though, so it might be that i have missed something.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Lol at "Fucked" :)

donny2112 said:
Because of Nintendo refusing to publisher other Level 5 games outside of Japan and Nintendo's historic willingness to publish new anime properties made by other third-parties outside of Japan?

Every previous Level-5 game before Layton was published by Sony, who obviously aren't going to do it for this game. Level-5 have no Western publishing infrastructure and don't look anywhere close to having one set up. A platform-holder whose Western business model was not "let's see HOW LITTLE WORK WE CAN EVER DO" would probably pick up Inazuma just to keep a positive working relationship with Level-5. :p

slaughterking said:
I blame North America for not liking soccer enough and therefore eliminating much of Inazuma's sales potential in western markets! >:I

Every freaking little kid plays soccer. A soccer RPG aimed at kids and packaged like Pokemon should not be such a difficult sell over here that it can't recoup costs, and it'd do goddamn huge numbers in Europe I'm certain.

Chris1964 said:
Sega said that it will be released this year.

Sega says a lot of things.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ivedoneyourmom said:
I blame America for:

Not liking Soccer
Not liking Anime
Not liking non traditional (Fantasy/Sci-Fi) RPGs

Yeah, I was born in the wrong country... love all 3 of those things. Well, not into soccer as much as the others but I like it more than most non-Hockey sports.

hatchx

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Nope. Has to sell 7,000 copies per week for the rest of the year to make it to 1 Million.

When it hits US and EU next year, it'll probably hit its 2.5 million estimate by 2010's end.

hatchx

Banned
test_account said:
Actually, that sounds like a good idea i think, if Wii Fit + would have some optional support to use the Wii Motion+ (that you used the Wii controller and the Wii Balance Board at the same time). I guess that this might have sold some more Motion+ units.

Speaking of Motion+, how many upcoming japanese developed/published supports Motion+? I cant think of one game :\ I havnt really followed that much around the upcoming Wii games in Japan though, so it might be that i have missed something.

Lol at "Fucked" :)

I think we'll see M+ a lot more at e3 2010. Nintendo isn't packing two in with Sports Resort for nothing. Once Red Steel 2 sells a million or so, developers won't be able to say no.

schuelma

hatchx said:
I think we'll see M+ a lot more at e3 2010. Nintendo isn't packing two in with Sports Resort for nothing. Once Red Steel 2 sells a million or so, developers won't be able to say no.

I think we'll see the Balance Board a lot more at e3 2008 and 2009. Nintendo isn't packing in a balance board with Wii Fit for nothing. Once Shaun White sells a million or so, developers won't be able to say no.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
hatchx said:
When it hits US and EU next year, it'll probably hit its 2.5 million estimate by 2010's end.
I have a really hard time seeing Monster Hunter 3 sell 1.5 million units abroad.

Has the series ever sold well in the West actually? I don't think even the newest PSP one sold well.

Acosta

You know, I'm glad of seeing a top 10 where I would like to play every almost game (fuck you Wii Fit Plus), and it has been like this for a time. Perhaps there is some hope.

Who I do need to kill to have Inazuma in Europe? Come on! Europe!, we live for the fucking football and nobody has thought about bringing it here? Hello?

markatisu

schuelma said:
I think we'll see the Balance Board a lot more at e3 2008 and 2009. Nintendo isn't packing in a balance board with Wii Fit for nothing. Once Shaun White sells a million or so, developers won't be able to say no.

So true :lol

Shaun White gets a sequel on Wii only l and Wii Fit + comes out and thats about it, despite an ungodly amount of balance boards

You have to wonder about M+ though, why pack in 2 units when the M+ units themselves were selling very well in all countries at retail price. Was it really just to push more copies of WSR?

schuelma

So this is probably obvious and all, but if next January February Wii is dropping to early 2009 pace (20K and lower), can we say that Wii is in real trouble in Japan? I mean, Nintendo has certainly dropped the ball but they do have a very solid holiday lineup and a new lower price and there is certainly nothing announced that seems like a game changer for next year. (I'd add that the same holds true for PS3 if it goes back down to 10-15K next year).

Agree, disagree?

hatchx said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think that Ubi itself expect 1 million for Red Steel 2.

The first game sold well because it was a launch title and there wasn't too many competence.

But it got average reviews, and the sequel won't sell so much. Also, some previews points that the game is, simply, bad.

test_account

XP-39C²
hatchx said:
Ye, i can see that we will hear more about Motion+ in 2010 and Red Steel 2 might indeed sell good (i dont know about a million copies or so though, but it might sell relatively good at least), i agree, but what about japanese developed games? So far we havnt heard much about games that will have support for Motion+, at least i havnt heard of it. But maybe we will hear more in 2010 indeed as you say :)

schuelma said:
How much did Shaun White for Wii sell? Did it reach a million copies sold worldwide?

markatisu said:
So true :lol

Shaun White gets a sequel on Wii only l and Wii Fit + comes out and thats about it, despite an ungodly amount of balance boards

You have to wonder about M+ though, why pack in 2 units when the M+ units themselves were selling very well in all countries at retail price. Was it really just to push more copies of WSR?
Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics will have some support (optional support i guess) for the Wii Balance Board. But ye, we havnt really seen that many games that requires the Wii Balance Board indeed.

markatisu

DangerousDave said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think that Ubi itself expect 1 million for Red Steel 2.

The first game sold well because it was a launch title and there wasn't too many competence.

But it got average reviews, and the sequel won't sell so much. Also, some previews points that the game is, simply, bad.

To be fair there is not much competition now either

I can see 1m worldwide though, and there is always the potential to port it later to the PS3 with the wand

How much did Shaun White for Wii sell? Did it reach a million copies sold worldwide?

Over 1.5m worldwide for just the Wii sku (just look for Ubisoft press release, should be the same one that shows Rabbids TV Party sold 1.2m ww). It sold in excess of 600k in the US alone from Nov 08-Jan 09

Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics will have some support (optional support i guess) for the Wii Balance Board. But ye, we havnt really seen that many games that requires the Wii Balance Board indeed.

Yeah it will be similar as Rabbids TV Party Balance Board support

schuelma

test_account said:

I think it was at over 600K in the U.S alone so I think it probably hit a million worldwide.

matmanx1

I see the Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce in the list there. Is it the exact same game as the PSP version or have they made some enhancements? Seems like it would be pretty cool being internet playable on the PS3. Any idea when it's headed to the US? 2010 sometime I imagine?

markatisu said:
To be fair there is not much competition now either

I can see 1m worldwide though, and there is always the potential to port it later to the PS3 with the wand

Worldwide, and in several months, may be. But don't expect to have much more sales than Conduit or MadWorld. And it won't be considered a success even if they reach that million some months after the release.

I remember that same argument in those games. When thirds see the success of Madworld, they will start making hardcore games for Wii. When thrids see the success of The Conduit, they will start making online FPS for Wii.

markatisu

DangerousDave said:
Worldwide, and in several months, may be. But don't expect to have much more sales than Conduit or MadWorld. And it won't be considered a success even if they reach that million some months after the release.

I can promise you Red Steel 2 will have more sales then MadWorld and The Conduit :lol

Red Steel is getting a M+ bundle, that alone will push some units

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markatisu said:
I can promise you Red Steel 2 will have more sales then MadWorld and The Conduit :lol

Red Steel is getting a M+ bundle, that alone will push some units
Yeah I agree with you here.

It's more the budget that's the question since they have a 100+ person team making it.

EXGN

PS3 VS Wii end of the year should be good. Wii has NSMBW, TOG, and Samurai Warriors 3. PS3 has FF13 and PES. I think the PS3 has a lot more wild cards though, like Bayonetta, 3DGH, and End of Eternity.

And have fighters really fallen from prominence in Japan? Everyone's discounting Tekken 6, isn't that franchise still pretty huge in Japan?

Top Bottom