• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

Fredescu

charlequin said:
But... why are you arguing with me then, when my initial statement was that the one-size-fits-all belief that every developer needs to move inexorably towards console, and especially HD console, retail games in order to be doing "real development" was dumb? :D
It sounds like you're saying that it's stupid for any developer to move to more powerful hardware after success on other platforms. 5th Cell said "We'll still do DS, maybe, but we want to focus our efforts on original consoles." So they're not abandoning the DS unconditionally. It seems silly to call their move ill advised before knowing anything about their console projects.

donny2112

Famitsu Sep 7-13

01./00. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 1,408,980 / NEW
02./02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 70,214 / 993,583 (-20%)
03./03. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 38,293 / 3,855,888 (-27%)
04./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 33,282 / 1,131,504 (-31%)
05./01. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Namco Bandai Games) - 32,167 / 191,575 (-80%)
06./00. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square Enix) - 16,424 / NEW
07./05. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 15,476 / 63,330 (-68%)
08./06. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5) - 13,814 / 34,384 (-33%)
09./09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 13,233 / 985,067 (-10%)
10./00. [PSP] MAPLUS Portable Navigator 3 (Edia Co.) - 11,262 / NEW

11./08. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 10,064 / 890,776 (-33%)
12./00. [360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square Enix) - 9,036 / NEW
13./10. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo) - 7,888 / 37,247 (-34%)
14./11. [PSP] Way of the Samurai 2 Portable (Spike) - 7,455 / 18,074 (-30%)
15./12. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 7,271 / 157,667 (-31%)
16./15. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 5,705 / 3,524,606 (-12%)
17./17. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 5,197 / 134,787 (-10%)
18./07. [PS3] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 5,155 / 22,266 (-70%)
19./13. [PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Namco Bandai Games) - 4,150 / 44,187 (-53%)
20./14. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,833 / 298,858 (-45%)
21./22. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (BEST) (Konami) - 3,566 / 30,713 (-26%)
22./26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 3,404 / 2,325,161 (-17%)
23./00. [NDS] Arabians Lost: The Engagement on the Desert (Prototype) - 3,377 / NEW
24./20. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,140 / 216,178 (-36%)
25./25. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 3,082 / 77,775 (-26%)
26./27. [PSP] Simple 2500 Series Portable Vol. 12: The Fuhyou 2: Senyuu yo Sakini Ike (D3 Publisher) - 3,040 / 6,872 (-21%)
27./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 2,968 / 5,067,408
28./29. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 2,902 / 70,972 (-22%)
29./00. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 2,858 / 806,430
30./28. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 2,855 / 109,797 (-25%)

*. [360] Fable II (BEST) (Microsoft Game Studios) - 1,600 / NEW

Bar Chart Sep 7-13 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-09-07

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Aug 3-16, 2009
Aug 17-23, 2009
Aug 24-30, 2009
Aug 31-Sep 6, 2009

Price drop + Wii Fit+ = ???

Any predictions? I think this is more of a whole holiday type of fix, and that while we'll see a bit of a bump at the beginning, it's really just going to help sales during December and keep as a stop gap until then as well.

jeremy1456

Stopsign said:

Any predictions? I think this is more of a whole holiday type of fix, and that while we'll see a bit of a bump at the beginning, it's really just going to help sales during December and keep as a stop gap until then as well.

I think New Super Mario Bros. is what is really going to drive sales during the holidays.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stopsign said:

I think it will be a pretty modest bump, but could at least keep it above 20K until NSMB Wii hits.

onken

So GT5 will be coming in March. Makes sense, now they can leave more breathing room for FF13 and also have long, build up advertising.

This is what I feel is happening. Again I could very well be wrong, it's just my opinion.

In most, if not every industry, there comes a time when the market falls into a false state. Similar to the international banking crises. In the UK this started with the Margeret Thatcher. It went on for so long that it soon became known as the norm. A few intelligent people kept saying this will come crashing down one day, but nobody cared they were too busy counting their monies. Eventually it did come crashing down, but the government saved them, so the lessons of greed and its evil are still not learnt.

It all starts, when one decides to undercut the market. To undercut the cost of something, to entice a buyer. The seller is under the pressure of success/corporate structure/ego, to show his worth. The short term success is what people notice. We as humans are far too short sighted/impatient to look beyond our nose and greed. If we weren't we would've learnt something from 2000 years of logged history. So under the assumption that the inevitable momentum of business will lead to more profits later. But what happens.. Well the competition are forced to undercut too, otherwise they won't survive. Some wait it out, to fail, others reduce prices immediately.

Then since sales are so high, and statistics show positive sales all rounds, everyones happy. The buyers the sellars and everyone in between. They all party together, and rub each others penis's. Until 5 years later all the execs that were involved decide it's time to retire or move on, then all of a sudden, they realise nobody has actually made any money, and the bank kept on lending to them, because sales were good. But the business model just doesn't work out. By this point it's too late. You can't increase the prices, the market will collapse, and the industry will pretty much die. And the competition, the new young'uns will just undercut you. The ones who knew this would happen all suffer the same fate. Their hand was forced, for the last decade, and they got into bad business practices too. So the cycle happens all over again. Old timers try to warn the young'uns, but they are too arrogant from the bright lights.

This is what Sony are doing right now. By money hatting all these devs, and pretty much losing everything they made for the 15 years before that. Microsoft did this too. They released the 360 far too early, just because they weren't having enough success. Eventhough GC was last place, Nintendo was in no hurry to release anything, until the other 2 had something ready, they knew it's better business in the long term. So either they follow, and become unprofitable, or they lose out to competition. So what they did was, make a new industry. They made two. One is the controllers gimmick. They make money from every controller sold. The other is health and fitness of both mind and body.

But the competition doesn't learn, they are too ruthless. They are desperate for success however cheap it may be, so the cycle just goes round again. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Road

Still no numbers...

No idea what Wii will do next week with price drop + Wii Fit+, but it'll be interesting to see if it goes under 10k this week.

And Sony could have done better to counter it with a price drop on PSP + new color.

Road said:
No idea what Wii will do next week with price drop + Wii Fit+, but it'll be interesting to see if it goes under 10k this week.

Shouldn’t do - it was still in the mid-high teens, IIRC, and I don’t think the time between whispers of a price-cut and the actual cut taking effect will be long enough to have driven buyers to wait it out, unlike the PS3 Slim/cut where it was common knowledge for weeks beforehand.

onken

I can only browse 2ch so much before my eyes start bleeding, but it seems Pokemon sold 213k this week, down from 1.62m, blames sell-outs for the drop.

Road

Cosmonaut X said:
Shouldn’t do - it was still in the mid-high teens, IIRC, and I don’t think the time between whispers of a price-cut and the actual cut taking effect will be long enough to have driven buyers to wait it out, unlike the PS3 Slim/cut where it was common knowledge for weeks beforehand.
On top of that, the new price starts this Sunday already. I was thinking the 27th was Monday for some reason. (Oops...)

Guess we won't see a new low for Wii any time soon.

Kenka

onken said:
I can only browse 2ch so much before my eyes start bleeding, but it seems Pokemon sold 213k this week, down from 1.62m, blames sell-outs for the drop.

So "early" leaks are out ? Can anybody try to read the rest ? Thanks :(

213 k week 2 ?! Comparatively, that's worse than Iceland's stock exchange crash, can't wait to see how DQ, Wii Sports, MH entries and Tomodachi held.

Taurus said:
You actually thought Wii would be selling at that record-breaking rate forever?
Ceasing to be record-breaking is one thing. Trying to create a new category of record for "biggest drop from record-breaking" is something else.

Jonnyram

If Idolmaster really did do 20k on the first day, it should be a decent number for DQIX again this week. Maybe it'll bottom out at 20k+ for the next few months or so, with a hefty whack over the new year. 5 million in sight :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP3000 gets a pricedrop, the first ever for PSP in Japan (Core Pack was 19800Y in 2004 just like now).

It'll be 16800Y on GTP launch, October 1:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/090924d_e.html

There's also a limited edition GTP bundle with a black PSP3000 for 22800Y.

PSP Go is truly fucked, 10,000Y more expensive :lol
Nice :) I havnt really though about if the PSP had gotten a pricedrop earlier or not, but cool to know that the PSP price had the same pricetag in Japan for about 3-4 years :) 10,000 Yen more for the PSP Go seems like a big price difference indeed. I wonder how long the PSP Go will cost 10,000 Yen more than the PSP-3000.

cvxfreak said:
Wii will also be ¥20,000 as of Oct. 1. Should be an interesting day for the PSP and Wii.
Ye, it shall be interesting to see how the PSP and the Wii will sell indeed after they both got a pricedrop :) I also wonder if the cheaper Wii price will affect the PS3 sales much (that more people buy a Wii instead of a PS3 because the Wii is about 10,000 Yen cheaper than the PS3 now).

Jonnyram said:
If Idolmaster really did do 20k on the first day, it should be a decent number for DQIX again this week. Maybe it'll bottom out at 20k+ for the next few months or so, with a hefty whack over the new year. 5 million in sight :D

I still think that 5mil is out of reach. Somewhere around 4.5mil seems more likely to me.

Busaiku

Stopsign said:
I still think that 5mil is out of reach. Somewhere around 4.5mil seems more likely to me.
More than likely, the 5 million was their shipment goal.
It's probably not a pipe dream now.

test_account

XP-39C²
dolemite said:
Aren't media create numbers supposed to be out by now?
Ye, i dont know why there is a delay with the numbers this week :\ Does anyone know if there are a special reason for why Media Create hasnt released this week's numbers yet?

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
Ye, i dont know why there is a delay with the numbers this week :\ Does anyone know if there are a special reason for why Media Create hasnt released this week's numbers yet?

It's a holiday in Japan this week.

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it requires the autumnal equinox to Fall on Wednesday and the third Monday of September ("Respect for the Aged Day" which is where "Silver" Week comes from) to be on the 21st. That makes the day between them a default holiday. With the weekend, it's a full 5-day holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Week
And if you remember Persona 3, you'd know this! That game's set in 2009, and I just happen to be at this point in the calendar; my in-game date is 9/26/2009.

Deku

Banned
charlequin said:
My perception is that you are attempting to maintain a separation and duality between "co-marketing" and "moneyhats" here, to support a contention that there's good "co-marketing" (which everybody does so it's not even worth talking about) and then there's bad "moneyhats" (which are straight cash dumps of millions of dollars and Nintendo doesn't do because they're a bad idea/they ruin the industry/insert reason here.) I disagree that these are anything but elements on a shared continuum.[/qupte]

My position is that there's a difference and that though not mutually exclusive, the two activities doesn't have to come hand in hand. Your description of a continuum is probably the best way to put it.

This leak was originally cited essentially to establish one thing: that there's a constant stream of little quid pro quos and agreements going on between platform-holders and third-parties, and that this is already an established and inevitable part of the business. The idea was never to prove that Nintendo "isn't" doing anything like this; almost exactly the opposite -- that they already are doing things like this, that there is no qualitative difference between giving people spots at E3 and boxshots in ads and the other, more elaborate forms of publisher support, and so the debate is really regarding how aggressive Nintendo should be in this area, not whether they should do it (because they already do).

Anyway, no offense was intended and I do apologize if I suggested a personal attack there rather than a factual disagreement.

none taken.

TO clarify my position: The issue I had with Stumpy's post, is that it's taking something that I think even Nintendo would do, for Sega no less, to blow it up into supporting the assertion that Nintendo isn't doing enough.

On that point, I agree, but the evidence to support it from the Sega document in particular is not convincing and when I first replied , it wa to point out that "this stuff is pretty standard, that even Nintendo would be doing it". And the choice of words, especially in describing Sega as mid'sized seems to artificially inflate the document's significance in making a point that I didn't think it was well suited to make.

I still think the document is very poor support as a proof that Nintendo could do more, not to say that the premise is incorrect. That is where I think the wires got crossed and everyone got very defensive.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
It's a holiday in Japan this week.
Ah ok, then it makes sense that the numbers havnt been released yet. Thanks for the info! :)

By the way, will the next set of numbers include 2 weeks of sales or do we get 2 seperate weeks of sales/numbers next week?

Well there goes half the steam out of the PS3s sails. Gran Turismo 5 is scheduled for March 2010. Maybe it will help spread out the sales better, I don't know.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Even when we have holiday's we usually have leaked Famitsu numbers by now.

Seriously Famitsu leakers, I know its like Silver or Bronze Week or whatever the hell, but get on the ball!! I'm dying here!

kay

The top 10 numbers are out already for media create (since 10?). And the holiday has ended yesterday so things should be back to normaleventually.
1 NDS Pokesilver 223000 945000
2 NDS Pokegold 221000 941000
3 PS3 TOV 217000 new
4 PSP PPP4 104000 new
5 NDS Saga2 92000 new
6 NDS TC 73000 1123000
7 PSP Yugioh5Ds4 51000 new
8 PSP Ys7 33000 new
9 NDS DQIX 33000 3914000
10 NDS Idolmaster 31000 new
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0909/25/news023.html

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Even when we have holiday's we usually have leaked Famitsu numbers by now.

Seriously Famitsu leakers, I know its like Silver or Bronze Week or whatever the hell, but get on the ball!! I'm dying here!

Its Soul Silver week. Way too busy with the Pokemans.

ZoddGutts

kay said:
The top 10 numbers are out already for media create (since 10?). And the holiday has ended yesterday so things should be back to normaleventually.

3 PS3 TOV 217000 new

http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0909/25/news023.html

Oh wow it crossed the 360 LTD sales in one week and here I thought it would take another week or two. It also might cross the 300k mark something that only White Knight Chronicles has done and FF13 will do for a next gen RPG.

ZoddGutts said:
Oh wow it crossed the 360 LTD sales in one week and here I thought it would take another week or two. It also might cross the 300k mark something that only White Knight Chronicles has done and FF13 will do for a next gen RPG.

SO4 International might as well I think, as well as WKC2.

onken

Good for ToV. Mixing trackers I know, but that would be an approx sell through of 90%, assuming no second shipment.

pswii60

Stopsign said:
Well there goes half the steam out of the PS3s sails. Gran Turismo 5 is scheduled for March 2010. Maybe it will help spread out the sales better, I don't know.
Why would you have steam in sails?

Dengeki Top 20 (09/14 - 09/20)
http://news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

01. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 236,113 (?)
02. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon) - 234,133 (?)
03. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 225,943
04. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 115,283
05. [NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) - 98,419
06. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 67,832 (?)
07. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) - 53,256
08. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 34,389 (?)
09. [PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) - 31,081
10. [NDS] Idolmaster: Dearly Stars (Bandai Namco Games) - 28,962
11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 26,712
12. [WII] Forever Blue 2 (Nintendo) - 18,467
13. [PSP] Katei Kyoushi Hitman Reborn! Battle Arena 2: Spirit Burst (Marvelous Entertainment) - 17,539
14. [PS3] Tears to Tiara Gaiden: Avalon no Nazo (Aqua Plus) - 15,350
15. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Bandai Namco Games) - 14,722 (?)
16. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP The Best!) (Capcom) - 11,265 (?)
17. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) (Capcom) - 11,188 (?)
18. [PSP] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 10,750
19. [NDS] Sloane and McHale 2 (Level 5) - 10,111 (?)
20. [360] Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (Activision) - 9,600 (?)

Jonnyram

Interesting that Dengeki has COD4 on the 360 higher than the PS3 version this week. The opposite difference was rather large last week, so it will be interesting to see how they compare this week (on Famitsu/M-Create)

Road

Dengeki Sales: 09/14 - 09/20

01./01. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 236,113 / 952,445
02./02. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon Co.) - 234,133 / 948,636
03./00. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 225,943 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakkyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 115,283 / NEW
05./00. [NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu Goddess of Destiny (Square-Enix) - 98,419 / NEW
06./03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 67,832 / 1,128,221
07./00. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) - 53,256 / NEW
08./04. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square-Enix) - 34,389 / 3,913,283
09./00. [PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) - 31,081 / NEW
10./00. [NDS] Idolmaster: Dearly Stars (Bandai Namco Games) - 28,962 / NEW
11./06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 26,712 / 1,177,885
12./00. [WII] Forever Blue 2: Umi no Yobigoe (Nintendo) - 18,467 / NEW
13./00. [PSP] Katei Kyoushi Hitman Reborn! Battle Arena 2: Spirit Burst (Marvelous Entertainment) - 17,539 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Tears to Tiara Gaiden: Avalon no Nazo (Aqua Plus) - 15,350 / NEW
15./05. [PS3] Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki: Lost War Chronicles (Bandai Namco Games) - 14,722 / 235,063
16./11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 11,265 / 966,658
17./08. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 11,188 / 882,066
18./00. [PSP] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 10,750 / NEW
19./10. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5) - 10,111 / 39,921
20./09. [360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square-Enix) - 9,600 / 18,667

Edit: Beaten...

gkryhewy

ZoddGutts said:

I presume you're referring to Japanese sales. In any case, sad state of affairs.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
ZoddGutts said:
When you refer to a "next gen" RPG, are you referring to "this gen RPG excluding handhelds RPGs"? Because I can see no other way your statement works.

lol, beaten.

Top Bottom