• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: September 13-19

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Celine, PS3 could have competed with its launch software and the strong support it received in its first two years. Had its launch not been as bungled, there needn't have been the situation we saw where Wii Sports alone had outsold every single piece of PS3 software combined.

I see this argument made all the time, but I don't think it holds. Yes, the handheld market has grown substantially at the expense of the console market, but I don't think they should be seen as competing directly because things like budgets, values and the types of games available all tend to differ. One pie got bigger and the other got smaller, but (to stretch the analogy further) once the pies are baked (i.e. when customers decide which segment they're in), they can be treated as distinct.

In that respect, I must reiterate that the PS3 is punching well above its weight. In previous generations, sales would be humming along at post-peak numbers with the non-leading consoles trailing well behind in a YTD comparison.
So basically you agree with me (and yourself) ...but you don't.

Someone bring back the lowered expectations gif.

AniHawk said:
He was in a "why were you banned" thread on the OT recently explaining that we should enjoy our "victory" for now!

Fixed that for you.

Yes, the handheld market has grown substantially at the expense of the console market, but I don't think they should be seen as competing directly because things like budgets, values and the types of games available all tend to differ.

That's true of the PS3 vs. the Wii too but no one would suggest they weren't competing.

No, PS3 and Wii are competing strenuously for third place right now.

Ashes

Banned
In the case of a massive ds title like pokemon, I think publishers would possibly try to avoid launching their own big games on the same day, if possible, even if it is on consoles like wii or ps3. So they are competing on some level.

jman2050

We're like four to six years into this generation. Nothing should be selling that much. The PS3 is doing market leader numbers right now. That's nothing to sneeze at.

No, the DS is doing market leader numbers right now.

Everything else is just lagging behind in relative obscurity.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We're like four to six years into this generation. Nothing should be selling that much. The PS3 is doing market leader numbers right now. That's nothing to sneeze at.
No it isn't.

charlequin said:
Fixed that for you.

That's true of the PS3 vs. the Wii too but no one would suggest they weren't competing.

No, PS3 and Wii are competing strenuously for third place right now.
PS3 and Wii have a lot more in common with one another in terms of usage patterns and purpose than either do to the handhelds.

An iMac competes more directly with the PC than it does to the iBook.

This was at the beginning of the gen, coming at a time just after the greatest JRPG generation

Off topic, where does this opinion come from?

Every historical commentary I've read points to the hey-day of the genre as being the super famicom period, With the advent of 3D it just couldn't keep up(not my words, generally seems to be considered common knowledge in Japanese-language game commentary).

__

Also really I'm with vicious I find it difficult to see what Microsoft could have possibly done differently(besides maybe helping square polish their games) without spending gobs of money to gain more traction.

jman2050

PS3 and Wii have a lot more in common with one another in terms of usage patterns and purpose than either do to the handhelds.

An iMac competes more directly with the PC than it does to the iBook.

You're not actually disputing the fact that the DS is the market leader and selling as such.

EXGN said:
2.55 mil, is that a new record for fastest selling game?
techincally it's two games, right. so no, FFVIII still has the title for number 1 debut for one game. If we are counting these two as one game, then yes, it beats FFVIII's debut I believe.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
techincally it's two games, right. so no, FFVIII still has the title for number 1 debut for one game. If we are counting these two as one game, then yes, it beats FFVIII's debut I believe.

Media Create counts them as one game.

jman2050 said:
You're not actually disputing the fact that the DS is the market leader and selling as such.
No way. I'm disputing the notion that the handheld and home console market segments have merged, which is an assumption that everyone seems to be making. I maintain that they are as separate as they have ever been, but that thanks to changing lifestyle factors, new technology and new markets, one has shrunk while the other has grown.

I don't see why this is so difficult. It's like every time I make what I don’t think is a very controversial point (PS3 seeing remarkably robust sales in the face of having the smallest console userbase), a dozen people jump in and go lol ds is da market leeder.

Off topic, where does this opinion come from?

Every historical commentary I've read points to the hey-day of the genre as being the super famicom period, With the advent of 3D it just couldn't keep up(not my words, generally seems to be considered common knowledge in Japanese-language game commentary).
Maybe I'm confusing the western and Japanese markets with JRPG fan opinion. In truth, I didn't follow sales last gen. It should be beside the point anyway.

cvxfreak

The best selling Wii games are the ones you can't put on the DS.

The best selling PS3 game is FFXIII.

I still think there's a bit of a distinction. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
Well it's something Dragona I think enforces. Part of it was his own ban bet that's now part of his tag.

I dunno. I think he should be let back in when the new generation starts.

Free jimbo.

No way. I'm disputing the notion that the handheld and home console market segments have merged, which is an assumption that everyone seems to be making. I maintain that they are as separate as they have ever been, but that thanks to changing lifestyle factors, new technology and new markets, one has shrunk while the other has grown.

I don't see why this is so difficult. It's like every time I make what I don’t think is a very controversial point (PS3 seeing remarkably robust sales in the face of having the smallest console userbase), a dozen people jump in and go lol ds is da market leeder.

Maybe I'm confusing the western and Japanese markets with JRPG fan opinion. In truth, I didn't follow sales last gen. It should be beside the point anyway.
"Robust sales despite having the smallest userbase" is a far cry from "market leader sales". I don't think people would jump on you had you said the former.

BishopLamont said:
"Robust sales despite having the smallest userbase" is a far cry from "market leader sales". I don't think people would jump on you had you said the former.
I did say sales the market leader should be getting at this stage of it's lifespan. Apparently this wasn't specific enough.

I did say sales the market leader should be getting at this stage of it's lifespan. Apparently this wasn't specific enough.
In the same life time the PS2 already sold 12M and selling a good 30k+ each week. Hell to make it easier look at the Wii.

duckroll

LOVE & TRUTH said:
There is no justice in this world.

Flight Plan went out of business for a reason. This just shows that changing their the name and publisher doesn't change the fact that no one wants to buy their fucking games. :p

apujanata

Lonely1 said:
Metroid franchise should go after the Moe market after this.

Haven't it (Metroid franchise) already go after Moe Market with Metroid: Other M?

Repeat : I hate "thumbs down" and "baby cry"

Enjoy this image of "thumbs down" :

tumblr_l6cu61hjPy1qzp9we

duckroll said:
Flight Plan went out of business for a reason. This just shows that changing their the name and publisher doesn't change the fact that no one wants to buy their fucking games. :p
That's what I'm talking about! Why no one wants to buy Summon Night games is beyond me. :(

Oxx

Were you here for the start of the gen? The pacman charts? The jokes about Nintendomination? The all-Nintendo top 15?

Man, those were the days...

Even a record-breaking software launch can't compete with the weirdness and insanity of the DS take-off.

I hope the 3DS can bring some glory back to sales-age.

Oxx said:
Man, those were the days...

Even a record-breaking software launch can't compete with the weirdness and insanity of the DS take-off.

I hope the 3DS can bring some glory back to sales-age.
The DS shortages made it so used DS sales were kept to a bare minimum, a vicious, insurmountable cycle in hardware sales. I guess thats where the "artificial shortages" paranoia came from.

BishopLamont said:
In the same life time the PS2 already sold 12M and selling a good 30k+ each week. Hell to make it easier look at the Wii.

He isn't talking about LTD sales. Someone posted weekly sales data from 2005 that showed the PS2 selling around what the PS3 is selling now.

All VKS is saying is that the PS3 is selling now what the market leader was selling at this point in the last generation.

He is saying that the PS3 is now selling the amount you would expect to see from a market leader towards the end of a generation.

He is not actually saying the the PS3 is the market leader, and it doesn't matter if the DS is selling a milion pieces of hardware a week his point still stands.

(of course i could be misreading what he is saying as well:lol ).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
catashtrophe said:
what are the chances of the PS3 surpassing the 6 Million mark by end of the year?

Quite likely?
With a miracle maybe.

EDIT: I thought 2 million this year. 6 million are very likely.

AdventureRacing said:
He isn't talking about LTD sales. Someone posted weekly sales data from 2005 that showed the PS2 selling around what the PS3 is selling now.

All VKS is saying is that the PS3 is selling now what the market leader was selling at this point in the last generation.

He is saying that the PS3 is now selling the amount you would expect to see from a market leader towards the end of a generation.

He is not actually saying the the PS3 is the market leader, and it doesn't matter if the DS is selling a milion pieces of hardware a week his point still stands.

(of course i could be misreading what he is saying as well:lol ).
Why is the comparison between the PS2's fifth year and the PS3's 3 years and 10 months?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (30/09/10)

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom)
[NDS] Detective Jinguuji Saburo DS: Akai Chou (Arc System Works)
[NDS] Ginga Tetsudou 999 DS (Culture Brain)
[NDS] Kirihara Shoten Forest: Eigo @ DS [Best] (Ertain)

[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega)
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom)
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Starry Sky: In Summer - PSP Edition (Asgard)
[PSP] Shukufuku no Campanella Portable (Kadokawa Shoten)
[PSP] Twinkle Crusaders GoGo! (ASCII Media Works)
[PSP] Scarlet Fragments: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou Portable (Idea Factory)
[PSP] L@ve Once (Maid Meets Cat)
[PSP] Madden NFL 11 (English Version) (Electronic Arts)
[PSP] Remember11: The Age of Infinity [Best Hit Selection] (CyberFront)
[PSP] 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral [Best Hit Selection] (CyberFront)

[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)
[PS3] Quantum Theory (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3] Madden NFL 11 (English Version) (Electronic Arts)

[360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Season 9.0 Premium Package) (Capcom) - 29/09/10
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)
[360] Quantum Theory (Koei Tecmo)
[360] Madden NFL 11 (English Version) (Electronic Arts)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I never knew Quantum Theory is coming out already.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ULTROS! said:
I never knew Quantum Theory is coming out already.
Don't worry, no one knows it.

Updated list for potential important 2010 releases

18/09/10 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.)
30/09/10 [NDS] Okamiden (Capcom)
07/10/10 [NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded (Square Enix)
28/10/10 [NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Nintendo)
28/10/10 [NDS] Zack & Ombra: Amusement Park of Illusion (Konami)
11/11/10 [NDS] Magician’s Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami)
25/11/10 [NDS] Super Robot Wars L (Bandai Namco)
25/11/10 [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 13 (Konami)
02/12/10 [NDS] Momotaro Railway: World (Hudson)
09/12/10 [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5)
09/12/10 [NDS] Shiren the Wanderer 5: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate (Chunsoft)
xx/xx/10 [NDS] Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Miniland Mayhem (Nintendo)
xx/xx/10 [NDS] Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo)

22/09/10 [PSP] Black Leopard: A New Tale of Yakuza (Sega)
30/09/10 [PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega)
14/10/10 [PSP] Lord of Arcana (Square Enix)
28/10/10 [PSP] God Eater: Burst (Bandai Namco)
11/11/10 [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate (Square Enix)
18/11/10 [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami)
02/12/10 [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom)
22/12/10 [PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix)
xx/xx/10 [PSP] The Little Battlers (Level 5)

14/10/10 [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo)
21/10/10 [WII] Super Mario Collection Special Pack (Nintendo)
xx/xx/10 [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo)
xx/xx/10 [WII] The Last Story (Nintendo)
xx/xx/xx [WII] Wii Relax (Nintendo)

15/09/10 [PS3] Front Mission: Evolved (Square Enix)
07/10/10 [PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - Hybrid Pack (Bandai Namco)
21/10/10 [PS3] Vanquish (Sega)
21/10/10 [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm 2 (Bandai Namco)
21/10/10 [PS3] MOVE
28/10/10 [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami)
03/11/10 [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE)
11/11/10 [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco)
02/12/10 [PS3] Tales of Graces F (Bandai Namco)
16/12/10 [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix)
xx/12/10 [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) -> according to azalyn

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't Catherine also coming December?

Top Bottom