• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: September 27-October 3

donny2112

Famitsu Sep 20-26

01./01. [NDS] Pokemon Black/White (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 772,172 / 3,409,457 (-71%)
02./00. [PSP] Black Leopard: Yakuza New Chapter (SEGA) - 183,339 / NEW
03./05. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 42,327 / 971,006 (+10%)
04./00. [PSP] Durarara!! 3-way Standoff (ASCII Media Works) - 28,825 / NEW
05./07. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village (Capcom) - 17,342 / 451,635 (-39%)
06./06. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Namco Bandai Games) - 16,775 / 186,503 (-51%)
07./00. [PSP] Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Ryouran * Sangokushi Engi - Wu-Hen (Yeti) - 12,715 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] Winning Post 7 2010 (Koei-Tecmo) - 12,551 / NEW
09./03. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 (Konami) - 11,308 / 64,688 (-79%)
10./02. [PS3] Front Mission Evolved (Square Enix) - 10,477 / 65,539 (-81%)

11./10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST Reprint) (Capcom) - 9,150 / 437,501 (+4%)
12./13. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 8,168 / 793,623 (+16%)
13./00. [PSP] Winning Post 7 2010 (Koei-Tecmo) - 8,113 / NEW
14./14. [NDS] Eigokoro Kyoushitsu DS (Art Academy) (Nintendo) - 6,907 / 180,724 (0%)
15./16. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 3: Dororon! Great Battle With the Ghouls!! (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,902 / 218,904 (+5%)
16./12. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge! Spark/Bomber (Level 5) - 6,669 / 836,341 (-10%)
17./17. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (BEST) (Square Enix) - 5,148 / 30,416 (-14%)
18./04. [360] Halo: REACH (Microsoft Game Studios) - 4,944 / 43,588 (-87%)
19./23. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 4,715 / 5,907,304 (+31%)
20./21. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 4,385 / 3,431,532 (+17%)
21./24. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 4,353 / 3,964,959 (+22%)
22./00. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (BEST) (Gust) - 4,186 / NEW
23./22. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,172 / 2,858,107 (+15%)
24./15. [PSP] Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault (Namco Bandai Games) - 4,039 / 126,042 (-41%)
25./25. [NDS] Heart Catch PreCure! Oshare Collection (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,495 / 58,371 (0%)
26./27. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 3,172 / 2,082,240 (-3%)
27./20. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 3,051 / 358,135 (-21%)
28./11. [PSP] Trick x Logic: Season 2 (SCEI) - 3,007 / 10,891 (-62%)
29./00. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 2,833 / 3,872,679
30./08. [PSP] Blue Roses: Yousei to Aoi Hitomi no Senshitachi (Nippon Ichi Software) - 2,827 / 13,993 (-75%)

Bar Chart Sep 20-26 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2010-09-20

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Misc. LTD Updates
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix) - 1,262,895

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Aug 23-29, 2010
Aug 30-Sep 5, 2010
Sep 6-12, 2010
Sep 13-19, 2010

You know how they could sell Okami Den in the rest of the world? Market it to kids with a Chibiterasu mini-plush as a preorder bonus. And a TV commercial with that cute dog! :D

MidnightScott said:
You know how they could sell Okami Den in the rest of the world? Market it to kids with a Chibiterasu mini-plush as a preorder bonus. And a TV commercial with that cute dog! :D
And change the title to "Imagine: Deityz".

duckroll

Chris1964 said:
I don't know if this is posted but the third version of Inazuma Eleven 3, Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Ogre is coming out at December 16, one week before the movie.

I think Level 5 is trying to position this as a sort of Pokemon Yellow. It's considered an expanded/enhanced release based on Spark/Bomber, but will contain additions including a brand new story scenario addition based on the upcoming movie. The game will also be compatible with Spark and Bomber in terms of multiplayer/trading, and it's full priced at 4980yen.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
I think Level 5 is trying to position this as a sort of Pokemon Yellow. It's considered an expanded/enhanced release based on Spark/Bomber, but will contain additions including a brand new story scenario addition based on the upcoming movie. The game will also be compatible with Spark and Bomber in terms of multiplayer/trading, and it's full priced at 4980yen.

Kind of a bold move considering that the current versions are in the bomba bin.

Expanded releases tend to be successful for games that actually sell through their initial shipments. Often, they're supposed to make the originals obsolete. :lol

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Kind of a bold move considering that the current versions are in the bomba bin.

Expanded releases tend to be successful for games that actually sell through their initial shipments. Often, they're supposed to make the originals obsolete. :lol

Yeah, I really don't know if this will pan out as they expect. It'll be really interesting to see how Level 5's new strategies work out (Ninokuni, Little Battlers, Inazuma 3 Ogre) at the end of this year. They had a lot of success with Layton and Inazuma up until now, lets see if they can continue with that streak or if one (or more) of their upcoming plans will fall flat.

Oxx

After the overshipping of current versions of Inazuma I doubt retailers would be queueing up to re-order stock if/when the original shipment sells out.

Abandoning the first two games and launching a 'new' game is probably Level 5's best option to prolong the third game's legs.

Level-5 has handled Inazuma well so far, maybe the 3rd one was rushed to meet the world cup but probably in the end it was a right move, and the series was ending. Now a 3rd version for holidays seems wise, since the other two seem to have lost value on the back of its hefty 920k first shipment iirc.

Much more concerned myself with Ninokuni or Little Battlers, it seems that Level-5 can do no wrong with Layton and Inazuma but the rest of their stuff always pales in comparison. Lets see if the Level-5 Vision in two weeks shreds some light on those other projects (I'm assuming IE3 Ogre should be one of the four surprises?).

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Level-5 has handled Inazuma well so far, maybe the 3rd one was rushed to meet the world cup but probably in the end it was a right move, and the series was ending. Now a 3rd version for holidays seems wise, since the other two seem to have lost value on the back of its hefty 920k first shipment iirc.

Much more concerned myself with Ninokuni or Little Battlers, it seems that Level-5 can do no wrong with Layton and Inazuma but the rest of their stuff always pales in comparison. Lets see if the Level-5 Vision in two weeks shreds some light on those other projects (I'm assuming IE3 Ogre should be one of the four surprises?).

I'm not sure it's fair to say that "the rest of their stuff always pales in comparison" really. What other major franchises have they launched aside from those two? The Mystery Room and other smaller puzzle games they release are clearly not the sort of "major franchise" positioned within the company compared to Layton and Inazuma.

So far Level 5 has launched two major franchises, and done very successfully at both. This year they will be launching two more (Ninokuni and Little Battlers). It'll be interesting to see how they do for sure, but right now their score is 2 out of 2.

duckroll said:
I'm not sure it's fair to say that "the rest of their stuff always pales in comparison" really. What other major franchises have they launched aside from those two? The Mystery Room and other smaller puzzle games they release are clearly not the sort of "major franchise" positioned within the company compared to Layton and Inazuma.

So far Level 5 has launched two major franchises, and done very successfully at both. This year they will be launching two more (Ninokuni and Little Battlers). It'll be interesting to see how they do for sure, but right now their score is 2 out of 2.
Wasn't limiting it to self-published, self-developed or even sales results, more of a general handling where they do have a major hand at play. For example Sloane and McHale didn't do bad at all...until they decide to release the second game 3 months after the first, we haven't heard about it since and I don't expect to. Their SCEJ games lately have been sub-par and in case of WKC it was a bit of development hell. Nearly all their games but those two franchises seem to be delayed over and over (and even within Layton and Inazuma, there's the also the odd one like IE Strikers Wii). Their Brownie Brown collaboration also faded away, lets see if its back in the upcoming event. I'm purposely skipping localization talk, although I also think should be considered something Level-5 has to handle, and where they have sucked big time.

They sure have two major pillars that they built with lots of effort and care, but to me it seems they were trying to build quite a few other pillars where they certainly haven't handled as well as those two. Layton and Inazuma, always on track, always greatly planned, always on schedule, always moving it one right step forward. The rest they have a hand at, seem in a worse position if I were to compare :p

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wasn't limiting it to self-published, self-developed or even sales results, more of a general handling where they do have a major hand at play. For example Sloane and McHale didn't do bad at all...until they decide to release the second game 3 months after the first, we haven't heard about it since and I don't expect to. Their SCEJ games lately have been sub-par and in case of WKC it was a bit of development hell. Nearly all their games but those two franchises seem to be delayed over and over (and even within Layton and Inazuma, there's the also the odd one like IE Strikers Wii). Their Brownie Brown collaboration also faded away, lets see if its back in the upcoming event. I'm purposely skipping localization talk, although I also think should be considered something Level-5 has to handle, and where they have sucked big time.

They sure have two major pillars that they built with lots of effort and care, but to me it seems they were trying to build quite a few other pillars where they certainly haven't handled as well as those two. Layton and Inazuma, always on track, always greatly planned, always on schedule, always moving it one right step forward. The rest they have a hand at, seem in a worse position if I were to compare :p

I don't know if I really agree with any of this. I think Level 5 is a pretty shit developer when it comes to core RPGs, and I don't really enjoy any of their games outside of Layton. I don't even really like their DQ titles. Yet, saying that Level 5's performance in terms of sales is sub-par in any way is nonsensical. If you don't want to limit it to sales talk, then it's sorta pointless to even mention it in this thread. Not many people on GAF like Level 5 at all, and I trash their stuff all the time. Doesn't change the fact that they sell well within expectations and beyond in Japan.

I think when we talk about Level 5 published games, we should stick to comparing with their self-published IPs for a very important reason. The games they work on for other publishers are produced and marketed by those publishers, and not indicative of Level 5's biggest strength in the Japanese market today - intense market studies and the ability to predict trends and take advantage of that.

Something Sony wants them to make might not be something they would consider extremely profitable themselves, but they'll make it anyway because someone else is footing the bill. On the other hand, even their most sub-par Dragon Quest (my opinion!) can end up being the best selling DQ game of all time when marketed by Square Enix.

It's important to note that for their major franchises (Layton, Inazuma, Ninokuni, Little Battlers) so far, Level 5 has spared no expense into making them a lot more than just games. Their media mix marketing methods to penetrate directly into the target audience in formats outside of just the games have proven to be very successful. They're selling a lot more than just games, but tailor made interactive experiences for specific audiences when they feel they can cater to a need which does not currently exist.

duckroll said:
I don't know if I really agree with any of this. I think Level 5 is a pretty shit developer when it comes to core RPGs, and I don't really enjoy any of their games outside of Layton. I don't even really like their DQ titles. Yet, saying that Level 5's performance in terms of sales is sub-par in any way is nonsensical. If you don't want to limit it to sales talk, then it's sorta pointless to even mention it in this thread. Not many people on GAF like Level 5 at all, and I trash their stuff all the time. Doesn't change the fact that they sell well within expectations and beyond in Japan.
Well, I wasn't trying to state a fact, just my personal feeling towards their output. I'm in no way downplaying its sales and yeah, I know its a pointless point to make in this thread which is why I only briefly mentioned it in my first post when I touched the Ninokuni and Little Battlers subject. I don't disagree with all you said (hence not quoting it full), but I still feel myself Layton and Inazuma have been on rails for Level-5 while other projects where they play a hand have met many obstacles, hence being wary of Ninokuni and Little Battlers matching easily the excellent trajectory Layton and Inazuma followed in Level-5 plans. Like you said, I don't know if their strategies will pan out this time, but to me the road they paved them took some not planned turns, although it could perfectly mean nothing in the big picture when all is said and done.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, I wasn't trying to state a fact, just my personal feeling towards their output. I'm in no way downplaying its sales and yeah, I know its a pointless point to make in this thread which is why I only briefly mentioned it in my first post when I touched the Ninokuni and Little Battlers subject. I don't disagree with all you said (hence not quoting it full), but I still feel myself Layton and Inazuma have been on rails for Level-5 while other projects where they play a hand have met many obstacles, hence being wary of Ninokuni and Little Battlers matching easily the excellent trajectory Layton and Inazuma followed in Level-5 plans. Like you said, I don't know if their strategies will pan out this time, but to me the road they paved them took some not planned turns, although it could perfectly mean nothing in the big picture when all is said and done.

Oh I agree, Layton and Inazuma being the main pillars of Level 5 for the past few years has definitely slowed down their output of anything else. The stability of both franchises also meant that Level 5 didn't need to come up with a great new IP for some time. Now that Layton is well into the second trilogy and Inazuma has wrapped up the first trilogy, it is definitely time for them to start launching and cultivating new franchises. Which is why it's going to be really interesting when they launch their new ones soon.

Will they meet with the same success? It's very hard to tell at the moment. But being the most successful new publisher in Japan, it's definitely exciting to see how they perform this time round for sure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 09. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 (Konami)
22. / 17. [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo)
23. / 20. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
24. / 18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
25. / 07. [PS3] Front Mission: Evolved (Square Enix)
26. / 15. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber (Level 5)
27. / 19. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
28. / 00. [PS3] Quantum Theory (Koei Tecmo)
29. / 23. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
30. / 04. [PSP] Durarara!! 3-way Standoff (ASCII Media Works)
31. / 00. [PSP] L@ve Once (Maid Meets Cat)
32. / 10. [PS3] Winning Post 7 2010 (Koei Tecmo)
33. / 24. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [Reprint] (Square Enix)
34. / 21. [PSP] Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault (Bandai Namco)
35. / 08. [PSP] Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Ryouran Sangokushi Engi - Wu-Hen (Yeti)
36. / 33. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2nd (Sega)
37. / 16. [PSP] Winning Post 7 2010 (Koei Tecmo)
38. / 27. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami)
39. / 25. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
40. / 28. [NDS] Harvest Moon: Twin Villages (Marvelous Entertainment)
41. / 26. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Capcom)
42. / 00. [PSP] Scarlet Fragments: Shin Tamayori Hime Denshou Portable (Idea Factory)
43. / 36. [NDS] Heart Catch PreCure! Oshare Collection (Bandai Namco)
44. / 42. [WII] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom)
45. / 22. [360] Halo: Reach (Microsoft Game Studios)
46. / 30. [NDS] Tetris Party Deluxe (Hudson)
47. / 41. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
48. / 43. [PSP] Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes [PSP the Best Reprint] (Capcom)
49. / 45. [NDS] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side 3rd Story (Konami)
50. / 35. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami)

00. / 00. [ALL] Weekly Software Sales (All Publishers) - 1.346.096 / 43.513.528 (-13%)

PSP - 20
NDS - 15
WII - 6
PS3 - 6
360 - 3
PS2 - 0

Spiegel

26 psp+ps3 games in the top 50 and 0 from SCE. :lol

Sony better do something about this next gen because their inhability to profit from that huge userbase has been pretty pathetic this gen when many third parties seem to do fine.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sinobi says that the first shipment of Super Mario Collection Special Pack will be 300k. It looks kinda low. It's unknown how much more Nintendo will ship after the end of the year. He suggests for a reservation as soon as possible.

He also gives a number for Monster Hunter but I'm not sure if he is referring to MHP3.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Sep 27 - Oct 03, 2010:

01 / 01 [NDS] Pokemon Black (Pokemon) - 205,911 / 1,959,563
02 / 02 [NDS] Pokemon White (Pokemon) - 176,489 / 1,822,276
03 / 00 [PSP] K-On! Houkago Live!! (Sega) - 167,029 / 167,029
04 / 00 [PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 86,038 / 86,038
05 / 00 [PSP] Eien Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 79,413 / 79,413
06 / 00 [NDS] Okamiden: Chiisaki Taiyou (Capcom) - 76,288 / 76,288
07 / 00 [360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 45,138 / 45,138
08 / 03 [PSP] Kurohyou: Ryuu Ga Gotoku Shinshou (Sega) - 40,585 / 220,235
09 / 04 [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 24,918 / 1,050,640
10 / 00 [PSP] Dragon Ball: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 20,565 / 20,565
11 / 00 [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Season 9.0 Premium Package (Capcom) - 15,131 / 15,131
12 / 00 [PSP] Twinkle Crusaders Go Go! (ASCII Media Works) - 12,456 / 12,456
13 / 06 [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village (Capcom) - 10,111 / 498,669
14 / 00 [PSP] Shukufuku no Campanella Portable (Kadokawa Shoten) - 8,129 / 8,129
15 / 00 [PSP] Starry Sky: In Summer Portable (honeybee) - 7,893 / 7,893
16 / 13 [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom) - 7,365 / 464,170
17 / 12 [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 7,282 / 856,271
18 / 07 [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle! (Bandai Namco) - 7,153 / 186,769
19 / 10 [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Yokai Daikessen!! (Bandai Namco) - 6,847 / 241,131
20 / 11 [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 (Konami) - 5,415 / 64,930

Other software (first week / LTD):
---

Notes:
1) Sell-through
- [PSP] K-On! Houkago Live!! ~75%

2) Fiscal year 2010, 03/29 ~ 09/26 (compared to 2009):

- hardware: 67.9 billion yen (-20.3%)
- software: 139.1 billion yen (-5.8%)
- total: 207.0 billion yen (-11.1%)

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |     51,903 |     93,986 |  2,025,673 | 30,993,480
PSP      |     35,871 |     39,260 |  1,667,243 | 15,075,580
PS3      |     16,914 |     19,021 |  1,168,192 |  5,655,473
WII      |     11,580 |     15,378 |  1,192,556 | 10,738,366
360      |     	2,969 |      2,695 |    192,959 |  1,401,847
PS2      |     	1,107 |      1,480 |     	| 	
------------------------------------------------------------
Total    |    120,344 |    171,820 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/309/309038/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/560/560093/
http://research.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/058/58499/index.html

Sep 20 - 26
Sep 13 - 19
Sep 06 - 12
Aug 30 - Sep 05
Aug 23 - 29
Aug 16 - 22
Aug 09 - 15
Aug 02 - 08
Jul 26 - Aug 01
Jul 19 - 25
Jul 12 - 18
Jul 05 - 11
Jun 28 - Jul 04
Jun 21 - 27

Spiegel said:
That's absurdly low.

Is MHP3 the first MH release since Tri? Just wondering if it's at all possible that retailers are being overly conservative after being saddled with massive shipments that took a while to sell through.

I know it's PSP MH versus console MH, but still...

donny2112

1) Still a couple months out. If customer preorders increase, retailer orders will increase.
2) If it doesn't increase, then sell-out. Then it's a matter of having a ready second shipment. However, see 1).
3) MHP2G shipped 1m at launch, IIRC. Maybe they're just using that as a starting point and will see how things shape up from there.

cvxfreak

I'm sure Capcom will make the proper adjustments later on. It's also possible they want their sales staggered throughout the holiday.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
MHP3 initial shipment is around 1 million.
I was expecting something closer to 2 million but I don't think Capcom will have problem to restock if this is the initial shipment.

Road

Spiegel said:
26 psp+ps3 games in the top 50 and 0 from SCE. :lol

Sony better do something about this next gen because their inhability to profit from that huge userbase has been pretty pathetic this gen when many third parties seem to do fine.
Sony, as a publisher, has been declining since the PS1.

From Chris/Cap. Smoker databases (unit sales)

PS1 - 26.7 million
PS2 - 16.0 million
PSP - 5.3 million
PS3 - 3.4 million

If you look at the attach rate, they are doing better on the PS3 than PSP. In fact, they are the no. 1 publisher there despite the expressive 3rd party support (Konami comes second with 3 million). They are, however, behind the biggest Japanese publishers if you look at average sales per title.

I'm not trying to argue against you, just providing context. =P

Capcom under-shipping a game is quite ironic. Maybe retailers have become cautious.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
B/W took the first week record and is after 3 more records: YTD, LTD and number of weeks that sales didn't drop below 100k since launch (Famitsu).

15 weeks

[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 1.586.360
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 433.793 / 2.020.153
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 291.178 / 2.311.331
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 231.627 / 2.542.958
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 209.288 / 2.752.246
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 183.048 / 2.935.294
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 124.738 / 3.060.032
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 101.113 / 3.161.145
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 110.946 / 3.272.091
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 100.215 / 3.372.306
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 151.036 / 3.523.342
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 225.228 / 3.748.570
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 429.017 / 4.177.587
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 125.228 / 4.302.815
[NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 214.274 / 4.517.089

13 weeks

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 865.024
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 315.197 / 1.180.221
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 242.932 / 1.423.153
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 204.007 / 1.627.160
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 169.852 / 1.797.012
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 153.047 / 1.950.059
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 132.375 / 2.082.434
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 120.220 / 2.202.654
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 146.837 / 2.349.491
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 114.471 / 2.463.962
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 103.008 / 2.566.970
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 119.991 / 2.686.961
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 115.335 / 2.802.296

11 weeks

[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 1.425.768 / 1.425.768
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 438.280 / 1.864.049
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 453.500 / 2.317.549
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 301.003 / 2.618.551
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 436.828 / 3.055.379
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 573.427 / 3.628.627
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 477.507 / 4.106.134
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 258.734 / 4.364.868
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 145.778 / 4.510.646
[NGB] Pokemon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 144.733 / 4.655.379

9 weeks

[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 1.245.003 / 1.245.003
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 471.538 / 1.716.541
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 321.408 / 2.037.949
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 336.847 / 2.374.796
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 437.352 / 2.812.148
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 385.614 / 3.197.762
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 408.831 / 3.606.593
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 126.398 / 3.732.991
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 105.173 / 3.838.164

8 weeks

[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 936.734
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 464.824 / 1.401.558
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 570.512 / 1.972.070
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 513.080 / 2.485.150
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 254.494 / 2.740.644
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 128.503 / 2.869.147
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 133.606 / 3.002.753
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 115.704 / 3.118.457

cvxfreak

I can't see Pokemon BW falling below 100K in weekly sales until January either. That means it'll sell at the very least another 1.4 million units in 2010, taking it to about 5 million LTD.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Azalyn first week expectations

[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded - 120.000

[PS3] Red Dead Redemption - 90.000
[360] Red Dead Redemption - 30.000

[PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - 80.000

[PSP] Class of Heroes 3 - 50.000
[PS3] Class of Heroes 3 - 30.000

Pokemon B/W is selling very well but it's very likely to steal sales from DS RPGs coming close to it, like Kingdom Hearts, Golden Sun and Radiant Historia.

He reconfirms that MHP3 initial shipment is currently at 1 million.
cvxfreak said:
I can't see Pokemon BW falling below 100K in weekly sales until January either. That means it'll sell at the very least another 1.4 million units in 2010, taking it to about 5 million LTD.
Now with the bundles coming out (if they are not very limited) I think I'll join Media Create's prediction/comparison of 6 million YTD. Last time they did it for FFXIII they were correct.

Chris1964 said:
Azalyn first week expectations

[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded - 120.000

[PS3] Red Dead Redemption - 90.000
[360] Red Dead Redemption - 30.000

[PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - 80.000

[PSP] Class of Heroes 3 - 50.000
[PS3] Class of Heroes 3 - 30.000

Pokemon B/W is selling very well but it's very likely to steal sales from DS RPGs coming close to it, like Kingdom Hearts, Golden Sun and Radiant Historia.

Now with the bundles coming out (if they are not very limited) I think I'll join Media Create's prediction/comparison of 6 million YTD. Last time they did it for FFXIII they were correct.

[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded - 150K
[PSP] Class of Heroes 3 - 53K
[PS3] Class of Heroes 3 - 35K
[PS3] Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - 85K
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption - 57K
[360] Red Dead Redemption - 20K

My predictions. I may be winning that salesage ranking sooner than i though. :D :lol

Kenka

cvxfreak said:
I can't see Pokemon BW falling below 100K in weekly sales until January either. That means it'll sell at the very least another 1.4 million units in 2010, taking it to about 5 million YTD.

2wrqago.jpg

Fixed.

Chris1964 said:
Its pretty stupid even if they want to be cautious.

MHP2G sold 670k day 1 on a 837k shipment.
MHP2G sold 823k week 1 that is 4 days while they announced they had shipped over a million on day 6 (that is, on the second week) translating into an undershipped week 1 and stellar 2nd week sales (552k)

But what's more important here is that Capcom shipped 837k day 1 ... when the biggest selling MH was MHP2 at less than 1.7m units sold. By week 2 their new MH was already at 1,375m.

Now its MHP2G with over 4.0m units sold.

Oh, and MHP3 is released on a Wednesday so its 5 days of sales the first week. 1 million is laughable. Anything less than 2 million day 1 and definite plans to ship an additional million on the weekend is being stupidly conservative if you ask me.

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
I have no idea what Capcom are thinking here. This is going to be murder in the streets.

It's December, so we're very likely to see stock replenished on all twelve days of Christmas.

ksamedi

duckroll said:
Oh I agree, Layton and Inazuma being the main pillars of Level 5 for the past few years has definitely slowed down their output of anything else. The stability of both franchises also meant that Level 5 didn't need to come up with a great new IP for some time. Now that Layton is well into the second trilogy and Inazuma has wrapped up the first trilogy, it is definitely time for them to start launching and cultivating new franchises. Which is why it's going to be really interesting when they launch their new ones soon.

Will they meet with the same success? It's very hard to tell at the moment. But being the most successful new publisher in Japan, it's definitely exciting to see how they perform this time round for sure.

How is the hype around Ninokuni in Japan? It looks like it could be a million seller if marketed well.

cvxfreak

ksamedi said:
How is the hype around Ninokuni in Japan? It looks like it could be a million seller if marketed well.
I love how you ask duckroll even though he doesn't actually live in Japan. :p

Hype train hasn't really started yet, but I predict it will by the end of the month.

ksamedi

cvxfreak said:
I love how you ask duckroll even though he doesn't actually live in Japan. :p

Hype train hasn't really started yet, but I predict it will by the end of the month.

oh sorry about that Duckroll. Somehow I always thought he lived in Japan :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Previous Pokemon YTD with similar release windows.

16/09/04 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 643.987 / 1.335.021 / 58,24% (Thursday release - 15 weeks)

famitsu 2004 38 13/09/04 19/09/04 01 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 643.987 / 643.987
famitsu 2004 39 20/09/04 26/09/04 02 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 160.155 / 804.142
famitsu 2004 40 27/09/04 03/10/04 02 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 82.952 / 887.094
famitsu 2004 41 04/10/04 10/10/04 03 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 56.480 / 943.574
famitsu 2004 42 11/10/04 17/10/04 02 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 47.606 / 991.180
famitsu 2004 43 18/10/04 24/10/04 03 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 32.527 / 1.023.707
famitsu 2004 44 25/10/04 31/10/04 06 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 32.795 / 1.056.502
famitsu 2004 45 01/11/04 07/11/04 06 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 26.326 / 1.082.828
famitsu 2004 46 08/11/04 14/11/04 07 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 18.470 / 1.101.298
famitsu 2004 47 15/11/04 21/11/04 12 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 14.115 / 1.115.413
famitsu 2004 48 22/11/04 28/11/04 10 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 18.997 / 1.134.410
famitsu 2004 49 29/11/04 05/12/04 09 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 26.538 / 1.160.948
famitsu 2004 50 06/12/04 12/12/04 11 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 32.242 / 1.193.190
famitsu 2004 51 13/12/04 19/12/04 07 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 57.274 / 1.250.464
famitsu 2004 52 20/12/04 26/12/04 07 [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) - 84.557 / 1.335.021

28/09/06 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 4.302.815 / 36,87% (Thursday release - 14 weeks)

famitsu 2006 40 25/09/06 01/10/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 1.586.360 / 1.586.360
famitsu 2006 41 02/10/06 08/10/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 433.793 / 2.020.153
famitsu 2006 42 09/10/06 15/10/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 291.178 / 2.311.331
famitsu 2006 43 16/10/06 22/10/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 231.627 / 2.542.958
famitsu 2006 44 23/10/06 29/10/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 209.288 / 2.752.246
famitsu 2006 45 30/10/06 05/11/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 183.048 / 2.935.294
famitsu 2006 46 06/11/06 12/11/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 124.738 / 3.060.032
famitsu 2006 47 13/11/06 19/11/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 101.113 / 3.161.145
famitsu 2006 48 20/11/06 26/11/06 03 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 110.946 / 3.272.091
famitsu 2006 49 27/11/06 03/12/06 07 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 100.215 / 3.372.306
famitsu 2006 50 04/12/06 10/12/06 03 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 151.036 / 3.523.342
famitsu 2006 51 11/12/06 17/12/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 225.228 / 3.748.570
famitsu 2006 52 18/12/06 24/12/06 01 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 429.017 / 4.177.587
famitsu 2006 53 25/12/06 31/12/06 02 [NDS] Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) - 125.228 / 4.302.815

13/09/08 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 967.675 / 2.187.337 / 44,24% (Saturday release - 16 weeks)

famitsu 2008 37 08/09/08 14/09/08 01 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 967.675 / 967.675
famitsu 2008 38 15/09/08 21/09/08 01 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 319.052 / 1.286.727
famitsu 2008 39 22/09/08 28/09/08 02 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 194.998 / 1.481.725
famitsu 2008 40 29/09/08 05/10/08 01 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 120.810 / 1.602.535
famitsu 2008 41 06/10/08 12/10/08 02 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 80.176 / 1.682.711
famitsu 2008 42 13/10/08 19/10/08 02 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 63.104 / 1.745.815
famitsu 2008 43 20/10/08 26/10/08 03 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 47.546 / 1.793.361
famitsu 2008 44 27/10/08 02/11/08 06 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 37.490 / 1.830.851
famitsu 2008 45 03/11/08 09/11/08 06 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 30.690 / 1.861.541
famitsu 2008 46 10/11/08 16/11/08 10 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 23.138 / 1.884.679
famitsu 2008 47 17/11/08 23/11/08 12 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 20.192 / 1.904.871
famitsu 2008 48 24/11/08 30/11/08 16 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 23.623 / 1.928.494
famitsu 2008 49 01/12/08 07/12/08 11 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 27.070 / 1.955.564
famitsu 2008 50 08/12/08 14/12/08 07 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 47.012 / 2.002.576
famitsu 2008 51 15/12/08 21/12/08 08 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 90.878 / 2.093.454
famitsu 2008 52 22/12/08 28/12/08 06 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 93.883 / 2.187.337

12/09/09 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 1.408.980 / 3.382.597 / 41,65% (Saturday release - 16 weeks)

famitsu 2009 37 07/09/09 13/09/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 1.408.980 / 1.408.980
famitsu 2009 38 14/09/09 20/09/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 492.385 / 1.901.365
famitsu 2009 39 21/09/09 27/09/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 166.244 / 2.067.609
famitsu 2009 40 28/09/09 04/10/09 03 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 269.978 / 2.337.587
famitsu 2009 41 05/10/09 11/10/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 182.699 / 2.520.286
famitsu 2009 42 12/10/09 18/10/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 151.242 / 2.671.528
famitsu 2009 43 19/10/09 25/10/09 01 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 99.701 / 2.771.229
famitsu 2009 44 26/10/09 01/11/09 06 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 68.843 / 2.840.072
famitsu 2009 45 02/11/09 08/11/09 04 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 55.637 / 2.895.709
famitsu 2009 46 09/11/09 15/11/09 05 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 48.877 / 2.944.586
famitsu 2009 47 16/11/09 22/11/09 03 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 40.152 / 2.984.738
famitsu 2009 48 23/11/09 29/11/09 05 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 36.963 / 3.021.701
famitsu 2009 49 30/11/09 06/12/09 11 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 36.520 / 3.058.221
famitsu 2009 50 07/12/09 13/12/09 07 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 65.929 / 3.124.150
famitsu 2009 51 14/12/09 20/12/09 04 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 109.327 / 3.233.477
famitsu 2009 52 21/12/09 27/12/09 05 [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 149.120 / 3.382.597

18/09/10 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 2.637.285 / 3.409.457 / 77,35% (Saturday release - 15 weeks)

famitsu 2010 38 13/09/10 19/09/10 01 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 2.637.285 / 2.637.285
famitsu 2010 39 20/09/10 26/09/10 01 [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 772.172 / 3.409.457
famitsu 2010 40 27/09/10 03/10/10 -> Media Create and Dengeki have 380k for third week
famitsu 2010 41 04/10/10 10/10/10
famitsu 2010 42 11/10/10 17/10/10
famitsu 2010 43 18/10/10 24/10/10
famitsu 2010 44 25/10/10 31/10/10
famitsu 2010 45 01/11/10 07/11/10
famitsu 2010 46 08/11/10 14/11/10
famitsu 2010 47 15/11/10 21/11/10
famitsu 2010 48 22/11/10 28/11/10
famitsu 2010 49 29/11/10 05/12/10
famitsu 2010 50 06/12/10 12/12/10
famitsu 2010 51 13/12/10 19/12/10
famitsu 2010 52 20/12/10 26/12/10

Emerald suffered from being on GBA and FR/LF releasing earlier the same year, D/P had supply problems for a long time after release that lead to a very low ratio for having only 14 weeks.

Platinum and HG/SS are better for comparison.

40% ratio -> 6,6 million YTD
45% ratio -> 5,9 million YTD
50% ratio -> 5,3 million YTD

The more I analyze it the more I'm on Media Create's side for 6 million YTD.

_________

If Famitsu has also a 380k third week for B/W this will bring the LTD at 3.790.000. It should sell more than 210.000 this week and I'm 101% sure if this happens Famitsu will report it passed 4 million at Monday.

Road

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its pretty stupid even if they want to be cautious.

MHP2G sold 670k day 1 on a 837k shipment.
MHP2G sold 823k week 1 that is 4 days while they announced they had shipped over a million on day 6 (that is, on the second week) translating into an undershipped week 1 and stellar 2nd week sales (552k)

But what's more important here is that Capcom shipped 837k day 1 ... when the biggest selling MH was MHP2 at less than 1.7m units sold. By week 2 their new MH was already at 1,375m.

Now its MHP2G with over 4.0m units sold.

Oh, and MHP3 is released on a Wednesday so its 5 days of sales the first week. 1 million is laughable. Anything less than 2 million day 1 and definite plans to ship an additional million on the weekend is being stupidly conservative if you ask me.
Remember 1.2 million for FFXIII and 2 million for B/W. Don't fret yet. =P

I found it weird comgnet doesn't have Ninokuni in its top20 preorders but if I had to guess they mustn't be taking them yet, given Level-5 always said it'd ship in a special package with the book and such. We might be getting definitive details on the Level-5 Vision on Oct 19th so preorders start afterward.

Weird because other games hitting around that timeframe are already on the top, MHP3 for example with ~50 days left is already over the points MHP2G had the day before its release, its also over FFXIII and closing on DQIX to just say two examples of heavy hitters, although remember sales don't apply linearly at all, you can see there's a behemoth preorder promotion already on place, so Ninokuni (releasing a week later) should start its own one soon too.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I found it weird comgnet doesn't have Ninokuni in its top20 preorders but if I had to guess they mustn't be taking them yet, given Level-5 always said it'd ship in a special package with the book and such. We might be getting definitive details on the Level-5 Vision on Oct 19th so preorders start afterward.

I'm not sure why they would not be taking preorders yet. All the release details are announced. Every other store in Japan is taking preorders. What exact details are missing that would prevent any store from taking preorders? :p

duckroll said:
I'm not sure why they would not be taking preorders yet. All the release details are announced. Every other store in Japan is taking preorders. What exact details are missing that would prevent any store from taking preorders? :p
Dunno, maybe its just not in promotion as in Level-5 hasn't given them flyers, boxarts, reservations allocation, box dimensions...

For example azalyn uploads temporary covers his store gets like 3rd Birthday here:
http://blog-imgs-36-origin.fc2.com/a/z/a/azalyn/IMG_9733s.jpg
(there's also ffxiii 360, ac brotherhood, cod black ops) in the last update but I haven't seen anything about Ninokuni yet.

So maybe you can preorder it but its not showing up because its not heavily promoted yet and thus the numbers are still low (just how low though, top20 cut off is 26pt and there's stuff like Shining Hearts PSP at 35pt which releases dec 16th lol).

PD: Something like that hmm, Shining Hearts first appeared on Oct 5th ranking (#20 with 28pt) and just the day after that azalyn posted a flyer and and its temporary boxart

Top Bottom