• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 03, 2011

Baki

AniHawk said:
plus one or two weeks.
BONEgrd.jpg

justchris

Busaiku said:
There would be no point.
Unlike the US, Japan moves on to the new hardware very quickly.

Lowering the price again now would just mean lower revenue overall.

With only 1.5 million units until the end of March, I don't think people are going to switch over to the new hardware that fast. Plus, there have got to be a few extra thrifty people who have not yet jumped on the DS bandwagon because of price. Retailers will probably discount units anyway, I was just wondering if Nintendo would lower the price to keep both pieces of hardware going concurrently. After all, the PS2 sold decently for a few years after the PS3 was released.

antonz said:
At this point I think the answer is no. Nintendo has to be in Console Successor mode at this point.

Tease at GDC with more info at E3. Fall 2012 Launch

I agree with you about the release time frame, although I think they'll announce it later, with maybe a tease at TGS and big blowout at E3 '12.

The whole industry is comping this week 60k units negative on the hardware side.

Seriously, Japan is in such serious, serious trouble D:

AniHawk said:
Yeah, this gen is very quickly winding down. Software sales are pretty low.
Short term drought.There are LOTS of games coming (Samurai Warriors 3Z,Catherine,Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity,Disgaea 4,Yakuza,Dinasty Warriors 7,Dissidia 012...)

37l.jpg

33l.jpg

jeremy1456

The jailbreak makes the most sense to me. I mean... didn't this same thing happen with the PSP early in its life? Nothing in the top 20, but still selling like 20k systems a week?

We haven't seen the PS3 perform at this ratio to software sales UNTIL now. Makes sense.

Takao

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
The jailbreak makes the most sense to me. I mean... didn't this same thing happen with the PSP early in its life? Nothing in the top 20, but still selling like 20k?

I'd be drawing comparisons with the PSPgo (minus this week) where the thing suddenly gained a second wind at the same time the half-byte loader was released.

antonz

justchris said:
With only 1.5 million units until the end of March, I don't think people are going to switch over to the new hardware that fast. Plus, there have got to be a few extra thrifty people who have not yet jumped on the DS bandwagon because of price. Retailers will probably discount units anyway, I was just wondering if Nintendo would lower the price to keep both pieces of hardware going concurrently. After all, the PS2 sold decently for a few years after the PS3 was released.

I agree with you about the release time frame, although I think they'll announce it later, with maybe a tease at TGS and big blowout at E3 '12.
Yeah I am mostly guessing a tease at GDC due to the theme of Iwatas keynote addressing the history of the industry and whats to come. He could devote fully to 3DS but something just nugs at me thinking maybe a tease

AniHawk

antonz said:
Yeah I am mostly guessing a tease at GDC due to the theme of Iwatas keynote addressing the history of the industry and whats to come. He coulkd evote fully to 3DS but something just nugs at me thinking maybe a tease

GDC sounds like Zelda time to me (plus 3DS). Any news of a Wii successor will probably happen at E3.

jeremy1456 said:
The jailbreak makes the most sense to me. I mean... didn't this same thing happen with the PSP early in its life? Nothing in the top 20, but still selling like 20k systems a week?

We haven't seen the PS3 perform at this ratio to software sales UNTIL now. Makes sense.
PSP sales have always been good.

Also did you miss this?

2010 Week 1 - 62k (Titles in top20: 2 in positions 6 and 16)
2010 Week 2 - 35k (Titles in top20: 3 in positions 12, 17 and 20)
2010 Week 3 - 27k (Titles in top20: 1 in position 19)

2011 Week 1 - 60k (Titles in top20: 1 in position 7)
2011 Week 2 - 33k (Titles in top20: 3 in positions 6, 9 and 20)
2011 Week 3 - 24k (Titles in top20: 0)

Gee, what a stark difference.

jeremy1456 said:

SlipperySlope said:
I wonder if it's jailbreak related.

My lordy do people read the thread? Last year this same week, PS3 sold more
yet the only game to chart was:

19. / 17. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)

This is normal post-new year sales for Sony devices. Amazingly from famitsu 100 we found PS3 does have some small evergreens(MGS4 sold over 120,000 in 2010), the used market also is fully stocked in cheap games.

Add torne and Blue-rays getting more popular every day in Japan and it's understandable.

Baki said:
How will the PSP2 announcement affect PSP sales? Find out in t-4 hours.
Smiles and Cries said:
PSP has been ruling the top spot like every week thanks to Capcom now SE

Dds was at the top spot for the past 2 weeks due to sony's inability to meet demand of psp. It's difficult to determine how excatly the psp2 annoucment effects psp sales(unless they go under 30,000) becuase supply is just starting to catch up to demand.

01. / 00. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Final Mix (Square Enix) {2011.01.20} - 77.317 / NEW
Kingdom Hearts Birth by sleep: 456.453

17% of the originals first week

Dissidia: Final Fantasy 503.723 / 902.398
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning 20.143/ 68.019

4% of the normal version's first week.

_____

(2009/12/03)  Monster Busters 15,658/38,497
04. / 00. [NDS] Monster Busters: Powered (Bandai Namco) {2011.01.20} - 17.989 / NEW

----

Venus & Braves 2003/02/13 95,668(total sales for the year)
10. / 00. [PSP] Venus & Braves: Majo no Megami to Horobi no Yogen (Bandai Namco) {2011.01.20} - 10.563 / NEW

doicare

BishopLamont said:

Also did you miss this?

With an extra 1.6 million consoles sold since the start of last year which is a 26% increase in install base the ps3 has managed 2 less titles charting in the top 20 for the first 3 weeks of the year, yeah sure nothing to see here............

duckroll said:
03. / 00. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) {2010.10.07} - 95.505 / NEW

01. / 00. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Final Mix (Square Enix) {2011.01.20} - 77.317 / NEW

This is interesting, because if you combine the sales of both BbS Final Mix and Re:Coded, even though they're on different platforms, you get about the opening sales of....

01./00. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Square-Enix) - 173,212 / NEW

Which included both KH2 Final Mix, as well as the Re:CoM remake. Obviously we can't just add the sales and draw a direct conclusion, but I do think there is very specific evidence here apart from also obvious decline in the KH series in general, that the very hardcore KH fans might be split between those who would buy a remake, those who would buy a Final Mix, and those who who would buy both (much smaller number).

It's also interesting to note that while it seems that KH2 FM+'s 173k is "consistent" with the KHFM sales of 163k (Famitsu launch week, no MC number), the sales of the Ultimate Hits version of KH compared with KH2 have shown that KH2 doesn't have anywhere close to the legs that KH had for the budget releases. This definitely implies that if KH2 FM+ did not include a brand new remake of CoM in the package, it will probably not have sold as much.

I think that's a good point. FM+ definitely had a much bigger package overall compared to Birth by Sleep FM, and that's one reason that can explain the much lower number. I think it's also worth noting that the gap between the releases was shorter this time. This is coming out a year after Birth by Sleep, compared to the 15 months between the releases of II (and Chain of Memories was a much older game). I doubt that's a massive factor, but I don't think it's a stretch to consider that a number of people might have felt that it was just too soon after the release of the original game to buy it again.

duckroll

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I think that's a good point. FM+ definitely had a much bigger package overall compared to Birth by Sleep FM, and that's one reason that can explain the much lower number. I think it's also worth noting that the gap between the releases was shorter this time. This is coming out a year after Birth by Sleep, compared to the 15 months between the releases of II (and Chain of Memories was a much older game). I doubt that's a massive factor, but I don't think it's a stretch to consider that a number of people might have felt that it was just too soon after the release of the original game to buy it again.

Well, this Final Mix is out faster than KH2FM+, but KH FM came out like 9 months after KH, and still ended up selling as much in the first week, and in the LTD as KH2FM+. That is basically where I reinforce my conclusion that KH1 had a much bigger legs impact, and it's something that the series never continued having, contributing to the eventual decline.

Busaiku

duckroll said:
Well, this Final Mix is out faster than KH2FM+, but KH FM came out like 9 months after KH, and still ended up selling as much in the first week, and in the LTD as KH2FM+. That is basically where I reinforce my conclusion that KH1 had a much bigger legs impact, and it's something that the series never continued having, contributing to the eventual decline.
Well, the initial release of Kingdom Hearts had reached far fewer people than the initial release of Kingdom Hearts II, so Kingdom Hearts Final Mix probably did a better job of reaching a new audience, which then led to Kingdom Hearts II selling over 1 million.

doicare said:
With an extra 1.6 million consoles sold since the start of last year which is a 26% increase in install base the ps3 has managed 2 less titles charting in the top 20 for the first 3 weeks of the year, yeah sure nothing to see here............
What games did you expect to chart? lol @ 2 less titles charting, right coz thats such a big drop from what it was.

Zoe

doicare said:

Remind me again what recent PS3 releases are comparable to FFXIII?

justchris

antonz said:
Yeah I am mostly guessing a tease at GDC due to the theme of Iwatas keynote addressing the history of the industry and whats to come. He could devote fully to 3DS but something just nugs at me thinking maybe a tease

Somehow I don't see Nintendo talking about another system that might potentially steal the 3DS' thunder, even with hinting. Plus, Nintendo likes to play things close to the chest as long as possible.

d+pad

BishopLamont said:

Also did you miss this?

Although I agree with you to a point, it's also true that last year at this time the PS3 was coming down from FF XIII. This year it's coming down from ... ?

doicare

BishopLamont said:
What games did you expect to chart? lol @ 2 less titles charting, right coz thats such a big drop from what it was.
No you're right, with 1.6 million more consoles on the market which is a 26% install base increase we should expect less and less titles to chart each year.

doicare said:
No you're right, with 1.6 million more consoles on the market which is a 26% install base increase we should expect less and less titles to chart each year.

But, what titles are you expecting to chart? It didn't have a single high profile release this week (Majin hardly counts, obviously), and none of the titles it had out last week could have been expected to be strong holdovers.

The PS3's lack of any titles in the Top 20 is simply a result of it not having any notable software out this week. It's not like noteworthy games are bombing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
justchris said:
That is kind of interesting. The Wii has less than 2/3's as many hardware units sold as the DS, but almost 7/8's as many software units.

There is a reason nintendo is releasing 3ds before wii2

KuwabaraTheMan said:
But, what titles are you expecting to chart? It didn't have a single high profile release this week (Majin hardly counts, obviously), and none of the titles it had out last week could have been expected to be strong holdovers.

The PS3's lack of any titles in the Top 20 is simply a result of it not having any notable software out this week. It's not like noteworthy games are bombing.

Also shows the difference in the wii and ps3 userbase buying habits. Mkwii is still freaking charting ...

doicare

KuwabaraTheMan said:

By the same token last year for the first 3 weeks of January the ps3 had next to no new releases either, the only new game that managed to make the top 20 was Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising which only just managed to make the cut for one week coming in at 20th.

Then beyond that if you look further back into the last 6 weeks of 2010 for top 20 new releases and compare that to the last 6 weeks of 2009 you see that during 2010 the ps3 had:

Gran Turismo 5
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3
Tales of Graces F
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll

Where as in 2009 the ps3 only had:

Final Fantasy XIII
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed II

I'm not saying piracy is the only reason hardware is high and software is low but in my opinion it is part of the reason.

First based on retailer blogs, first shipment of Last story is completely sold out at Nintendo, so no extra last minute orders were able to be done today(2nd shipment is tomorrow though!)

Edit: since ******** seems to want to use me as a source Please note: when Nintendo/ Wholesalers are out of the stock for the first day, assuming the first shipment estimate was actually correct(which we can't be positive about), that just means that Nintendo shipped 120,000 copies out. 120,000 copies are in stores/gamers hands now.

It does not mean that 120,000 copies have been sold through at retail.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
First based on retailer blogs, first shipment of Last story is completely sold out at Nintendo, so no extra last minute orders were able to be done today(2nd shipment is tomorrow though!)
How many copies they shipped?

doicare

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Gran Turismo 5
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 - front loaded series
Tales of Graces F - front loaded series
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow - Sold poorly
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Sold remarkably well
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - western niche
Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll - niche

ps3 games generally have no legs, not sure why it matters what was released in the last 6 weeks and what wasn't.

You include those games then when comparing to last year you need to include last years
ratchet / tekken 6 / dragon ball / winning eleven. etc
ratchet / tekken 6 / dragon ball / winning eleven didn't come out during the last 6 weeks of the year so that's why they weren't compared so that's a moot point. And whilst you are describing the types of sales for games then using your standards you would have to describe:

Final Fantasy XIII - relatively front loaded
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Sold remarkably well
Assassin's Creed II - western niche

mclem

BowieZ said:
It's gonna take another full year with Holiday 2011 sales to nudge DKCR over the mill mark, right?

Depends how rapidly it falls. If it sustains the 20k figure for a bit, it won't be particularly long; a little over ten weeks if it kept the numbers up. That's not likely, but it's rather dependent on what figure it settles at; there's certainly got to be some hope that it'll become another evergreen title, and it's certainly doing okay on that front so far (A thought: we have a few established evergreens now, I wouldn't mind seeing a graph of 'evergreens' versus a graph of 'frontloaders', would give us some idea of the relative sales curves.)

I think it's possible it'd reach the million before the holiday, depending on where it settles. I'm pretty sure it's inevitable it *will* make it to seven figures.

Isnt there a Lasy Story bundle or Last Story Wii or something? Maybe these low hardware numbers are a result of people waiting for that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 14. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
22. / 11. [PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) {2010.12.22}
23. / 06. [PS3] Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works) {2011.01.13}
24. / 24. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
25. / 13. [NDS] SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha - Shadow or Light (Square Enix) {2011.01.06}
26. / 17. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
27. / 09. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.16}
28. / 21. [WII] Super Mario All-Stars (Nintendo) {2010.10.21}
29. / 20. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Dubbed Edition) (Square Enix) {2010.12.16}
30. / 27. [NDS] Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo) {2010.11.18}
31. / 25. [PS3] Tales of Graces F (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.02}
32. / 00. [PS3] Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (Bandai Namco) {2011.01.20}
33. / 22. [NDS] Momotaro Railway: World (Hudson) {2010.12.02}
34. / 29. [NDS] Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Miniland Mayhem (Nintendo) {2010.12.02}
35. / 30. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
36. / 00. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Koei Tecmo) {2011.01.20}
37. / 31. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {2010.11.25}
38. / 32. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
39. / 36. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Capcom) {2010.11.11}
40. / 35. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Bandai Namco) {2010.09.09}
41. / 34. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: Dororon! Battle With the Ghouls!! (Bandai Namco) {2010.07.01}
42. / 00. [WII] Shape Boxing 2: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! (Rocket Company) {2010.12.16}
43. / 43. [NDS] A Penguin's Troubles: The World (Konami) {2010.12.02}
44. / 37. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (Spike) {2010.11.25}
45. / 50. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) {2010.10.07}
46. / 49. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (Bandai Namco) {2010.10.28}
47. / 42. [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) {2010.10.14}
48. / 00. [PS3] Yakuza 4 [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Sega) {2011.01.20}
49. / 46. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31}
50. / 45. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) {2005.12.08}

00. / 00. [ALL] Software Sales 2011 (All Publishers) {2011.01.17} - 680.485 / 2.845.620 (-14%)

NDS - 18
WII - 14
PSP - 9
PS3 - 9
360 - 0
PS2 - 0

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yoshiya said:
Ouch at Majin. That game was never going to sell, but for a domestic HD title to debut at 32? That's... ouch.

Not only did it debut at 32, but it debuted at 32 in a week where #10 was 6k.

Yoshiya

Stumpokapow said:
Not only did it debut at 32, but it debuted at 32 in a week where #10 was 6k.
I take it you mean 20, but to fall a further 12 places below 6k is pretty astounding even for an undisputed total failure. I haven't checked the relevant NPD thread but somehow I doubt western sales were the title's saviour haha. As one of the few HD titles coming out of Namco and an original IP out of Gamerepublic that must really shatter confidence in that line of development.

Despite all this talk of crashing and burning, I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic as to The Last Story's chances. Next week's results will be interesting, deciding the fate of one of the industry's prominent creators.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week's releases {2011.02.03}

[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (Capcom)
[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden (Bandai Namco)
[NDS] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! IT Passport Shiken (Media5)
[NDS] Honki de Manabu: LEC de Goukaku - DS Takuchi Tatemono Torihiki Shuninsha 2011-Toshi & 2012-Toshi Nendoban (Square Enix)
[NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms Of Revelation [Ultimate Hits] (Square Enix)
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 [Ultimate Hits] (Square Enix)

[PSP] Macross: Triangle Frontier (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] White Knight Chronicles Episode Portable: Dogma Wars (SCE)
[PSP] Atelier Violet: The Alchemist of Guramnat 2 - Deep Blue Memories (Gust)
[PSP] Death Connection Portable (Idea Factory)
[PSP] Disaster Report 3: The Collapsing City and the Girl's Song [Best Version] (Irem)

[PS3] WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2011 (Yuke's)

[360] DoDonPachi Resurrection: Black Label (Cave)
[360] WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2011 (Yuke's)

Kenka

Yoshiya said:
Ouch at Majin. That game was never going to sell, but for a domestic HD title to debut at 32? That's... ouch.

Biggest bomba since Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution on Game Cube. And that was in 2003.

Tailzo

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Required to note: PSP is still extremly supply constrained, practically every retailer blog reports major shortages for this week, My local area stores are listing the buy price for used ones as 14,000 yen

Game Republic's next-gen game Majin, which Namco set initial goals of 1 million worldwide, didn't chart.
:(

I bought the euro version fro a friend. I hope she'll like it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
White Knight Chronicles Episode Portable: Dogma Wars is also released next week. I thought it was delayed but I just saw it at amazon.

Top Bottom